FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bad start there Dave, but at least you survived the drop in the first season, now you can start building, aiming up one position at a time. :) Definitely building defence is a good start.

As for me well half-time in our first league game against East Stirlingshire and we are up 4-0, this is a lot more than I ever expected from my boys.

Also I noticed a discussion about what makes this challenge hard, I don't believe it is the number of leagues, the climb upwards is alright. I think the hardest challenge here is cracking the domestic top league, I think all of our leagues have a solid top group that is hard to break, Milan's (Italy), Barca & Real (Spain), Benfica, Sporting & Porto (Portugal) and so forth. This seems to be the biggest challenge.

Hmm that is strange Dave haha, well in Scotland it is business as usual with Celtic winning & Rangers second 30pts clear of third.

As for Elgin, we just handed out a 6-0 thrashing of East Stirlingshire, this result gave me two more achievements, Clean Sheet & Hattrick. Sibierski scored 2 goals and a penalty with 2 assists to come out with 4 goals & 3 assts in 3 games, but he also got injured. Yordi added another goal as well, and Maisano added 2 penalties to lead us home.

Edit: Not only is he injured, but he is out for 3-4 months with a torn hamstring.

The team: Sporting Club Farense

The manager: Francisco Peixoto

The player: ElDani

Well, the first week has come and gone and despite a transfer budget of only 7k € I have already been busy on the transfer market, buying ten players of which I'm confident seven will be regular first team starters this upcoming season. Their average age of 31,3 years certainly brings a lot of experience to this group, but will I have made the mistake to trust foundering horses? When the deadline is reached, I'll be posting a screenshot of my transfer activity, until then this is a work in progress.

The first friendly game against Brazilian CR Flamengo went surprisingly well but Farense was in over their heads nevertheless, losing 0:1. With only 38 % possession and 16 shots on our goal it is a surprise that only one of four clear-cut chances went into the net. It looks like I can thank my 38 year old goalkeeper for an outstanding match (his rating was nevertheless only 7.0). At least I got some 15k € out of the friendly :)

More on SC Farense later.

Meanwhile in the World Cup, Russia bet Netherlands, Brazil and England on its way into the final against Italy, which managed to keep its title with a narrow 1:0 win.

Sounds like you've taken to Scotland like a duck to water LLR!

Well we ended up losing 1-0 at home in our first game to Eibar. Not ideal but to be honest we actually played well and had more chances than them. I'm not too downheart tbh.

Meanwhile in the World Cup, Russia bet Netherlands, Brazil and England on its way into the final against Italy, which managed to keep its title with a narrow 1:0 win.

Russia got to the final in mine too, losing 2-0 to France. Odd.

Good luck in Portugal!

Not the best result Iacovone to start off with, but if your team looked good thats probably more imprtant and gives you something to build on.

I just picked up my 4th achievement as I had 5 players in the Team of the Week.

Well my World Cup saw Brazil beat France in the final, on another note my 6-0 over East Stirlingshire is the biggest victory in 3rd Div history, the previous being 4-0.

I've decided to join Spain (for now - I usually change my mind 10 times every day :D)

But before I have a go can someone answer this quick :

Opening post says you can't load extra players from any nation and that you should load players from your own nation. Then there's a the DDT files and I think someone said you can load players from top European clubs to now? How do you do this exactly?

This is what I get :

• Just large DB - 23,000 players and 5 star computer performance and game speed
  • Add players based in Spain - No change from first option
  • Add top european - 55,000 players and 5 star computer performance but 2,5 star game speed.

Which do you advice? I mean, more than twice as many players to scout is nice and all but if the speed estimate is correct I'd go at half speed to. Not sure it matters much anyways. I guess it would be nice to see good players in all the top European clubs later on though. I did feel there was a bit of lack of top quality in the end on my 2009 game in France. By that I mean that the number of quality players felt like decreasing every season.

(edit)

Guess I've misunderstood a bit. There's Players from top clubs and Players from clubs in top division. If I choose the first one for Europe it only adds 3,000 players so I guess I'll do that :)

Not sure Ohanzee, but my game says 1* both haha, I just loaded the DDT and added no extra players, loading all from your nation would be no change as the DDT is already doing this, and more, saying load all based in doesn't actually seem to load the lower leagues, the DDT's load every club player in your nation. As for the top Euro, I am not sure how much difference that would make later on anyway as most of them will have retired won't they? :)

I've decided to join Spain (for now - I usually change my mind 10 times every day :D)

But before I have a go can someone answer this quick :

Opening post says you can't load extra players from any nation and that you should load players from your own nation. Then there's a the DDT files and I think someone said you can load players from top European clubs to now? How do you do this exactly?

This is what I get :

• Just large DB - 23,000 players and 5 star computer performance and game speed
  • Add players based in Spain - No change from first option
  • Add top european - 55,000 players and 5 star computer performance but 2,5 star game speed.

Which do you advice? I mean, more than twice as many players to scout is nice and all but if the speed estimate is correct I'd go at half speed to. Not sure it matters much anyways. I guess it would be nice to see good players in all the top European clubs later on though. I did feel there was a bit of lack of top quality in the end on my 2009 game in France. By that I mean that the number of quality players felt like decreasing every season.

(edit)

Guess I've misunderstood a bit. There's Players from top clubs and Players from clubs in top division. If I choose the first one for Europe it only adds 3,000 players so I guess I'll do that :)

Ohanzee I have gone with the Spain DDT file and that is all, nothing else. My game speed is at 1 star but does seem to be flying through anyway. It's really up to you :thup:

Yea I think I misunderstood, edited my post :) It only adds 3,000 players if I choose "top clubs" instead of "top division clubs". So I'm going with the DDT and top clubs of Europe :)

That give me a 4,5 star rating on game speed (I love my new computer :D). Holidaying time. See you soon.

Oh and nice to see so much activity here, good luck to everyone !

PS! Is 10th July correct for Spain still? And should I stop on 9th or 10th if I wanna reload a few times?

Ooh that's seriously unlucky Des :thdn:

Are you going to be able to find a replacement? Any loans? Kids?

Also I remember reading that in the demo, if you'd created a tactic using the wizard, it rendered touchline instructions useless (they didn't override the created tactic). Does anyone know if this has been fixed?

I haven't looked into that Iacovone, not sure, I am not using shouts anyway cause I am worried that they will damage my tactic haha.

I have two players stepping in, but they are nowhere near the quality I need, my third striker is also out injured. This is bad haha. I am filling the AMC spot with my normal DMC.

Damn Iacovone, that sucks, have you fired the guy who scored it? :)

Welcome again TanO, must be good to see that your club just beat Iacovone haha, have fun in Spain :)

I'll have my revenge don't you worry!

I didn't fire the guy because if I did I'd be without a right back in the whole squad!

Just had an amusing new inbox message - "Record Low Expected for Castillo" - goes onto describe how my fans are going to stay away from our match with Osasuna B. We're expecting 400 fans. The chairman is disappointed...

The goals will com Iacovone...

I´m off to bed now. I´m pleased with Casa Pias start to the season. Four matches in we are currently fifth with three points up. I´ve got a few quality players in which I´m very happy with. I´ll try to get som screens up tomorrow. Well Good night to all except LLR. Good day to you!

Plug those holes mate :thup:

We won! We won! We won!

Hurrah, right so with that monkey off our back we should be able to push on now. It was a 1-0 win with a goal from striker Dani Macias (who was here when I got here). Not a bad striker for this level

Just had an amusing new inbox message - "Record Low Expected for Castillo" - goes onto describe how my fans are going to stay away from our match with Osasuna B. We're expecting 400 fans. The chairman is disappointed...

Here's the opposite: Record crowd expected for AD Lousada match. Over 2000 tickets are expected to be sold for the Portuguese Second Division - North clash on Sunday.

By the way, my season preparation is close to finished and the first league match is only days away. The SC Farense board is also pleased that the expected third round of the Taca de Portugal cup has been reached and anything that happens from now can only be an added bonus.

There has been some further activity on the transfer market, as two more players have joined SC Farense since my last post. We've gotten a cheap deal on a backup midfielder that was necessary, because all my alternatives had been talentless youth players. The other transfer was Neto, a Brazilian player who I'm hoping will raise the playmaking a notch to compete for a top third position. In total I have added 12 additional players to the team, five of those were from free transfers.

Yeah that's right, the board is looking to me for a top half finish but since I'm geared toward a promotion in 2010/11, or 2011/12 at the latest, my goals are a bit more ambitious. With my old but experienced players I can't maintain this team for a long time before I'd need to restructure again and this I'd rather do once I've reached the Liga Vitalis.

Well I managed to get in a replacement Thaer is a 25 year old Jordanian AMLC/FC

Edit: And it did pay off, our first game with him in the team is against Berwick in a top of the table clash, and he contributes a goal and an assist, while Doyle back from injury added 2 goals. A great 5-2 victory to take us to the top of the 3rd Division after 4 games (1/9th of the season)

Jordanian!? He's going to love it up in Elgin ;)

We just won 1-0 again, this time away at Compostela. So that's 4 games, 4 1-0 scorelines, 2 to me, 2 to the opponents. Wonder what the next match will hold...Bilbao B Team at home

wow this thread has raced on today!!!! welcome to all the new players. in my opinion, Turjey is welcome here. i did approach Gundo about Russia before FM09 but he understadably wanted to keep it.

iacovone - see you've gone to Spain!! good luck with Castillo.

miight sneak a quick hour with Venezia now.... ;)

Yes have to add the international flavour to Scotland, for weird footballing nations there is Me (NZ), Thaer (Jordan), Bottiglieri (Canada) & Rondo (Eqr Guinea). Also have an Aussie, a Frenchman and a few Spainards.

Wow so you have low scoring games while I have scored 14 goals, and allowed 4 in 4 games (League).

Edit: Welcome back Rlips, yes it has fair grown, and we have plenty of new players as well. I may have a blat in Turkey myself at some point. Throw in a quick hour now. :)

So cool to see so many people in my country :)

As of me, I am halfway through the season, and deep into relegation spots; bleeding money every month, and my star striker who got injured for four months during summer came back as a shadow of himself...doing nothing so far. I've put him on the transfers list and well, maybe that will wake im up.

We need a miracle in Algeciras!

PS: Just lost against 10 on a PK...this is not looking good :(

Oh dear Twellman - hope you can pull the team back up the table. Publicly criticize him, that ought to wake him up!

rlipscombe - good to see you back. Forza Venezia!!

forza Venezia indeed!! only played 2 friendlies but already warming to the club.

forza Venezia indeed!! only played 2 friendlies but already warming to the club.

I must say I am very much warming to Elgin already as well, its a great little club and the Scottish Third Division seems to be a nice league too, also playing teams 4 times a season means I will get used to them.

Sept 1st saw the announcement of the awards for August:

Young Player of the Month: James Parkinson, with Mark Doyle 3rd.

Manager of the Month: Des Tiny 2nd.

Player of the Month: Yordi 2nd & Mark Doyle 3rd.

A great look by the players.

A good month's haul there Des. Playing teams 4 times a year means you'll either be very familiar with them or mind numbingly bored of them...guess we'll have to wait and see which way you go :)

We drew our 5th league game 1-1 in the end. Still a low scoring affair...

Average of 300? I think that may actually be lower than my average :D

Ohanzee - I did 'automatic' for my profile in Spain and all is good. Think the rep you have may be influenced by the rep of your chosen club (I imagine Burgos would be quite high having a stadium that large). That's my guess anyway.

Yeah only 300 or so turning up to each game for us haha, but I don't wexpect good crowds til we put up the results.

On another note still 11 hours to vote if anyone wants to on the awards in the 09 thread, send me a PM with your votes, the nominations are linked about halfway down the first page of this thread.

I have decided that I am completely sick of managing in England and that Daf's great challenge isnt appealing properly at the moment, especially since you guys have added Scotland. I am not completely sure why but I have been drawn to having a good go in Scotland this year (although the lack of relegation in the 3rd Division is very appealing).

Game is holidaying at the moment, and I hope to get a team that isn't being used yet. Hopefully first holiday go will be done before I go to bed.

LLR is making Elgin sound like good fun, just hope I can actually get into this game once I get it started.

Goals - they're like London buses...

Just lost 5-3 away at heavy favourites Pontevedra. Went 2-0 down, fought back to go 3-2 up then blew it and was eventually defeated by 2 rockets. It holds some promise for us though. We'll be ok this year

I have decided that I am completely sick of managing in England and that Daf's great challenge isnt appealing properly at the moment, especially since you guys have added Scotland. I am not completely sure why but I have been drawn to having a good go in Scotland this year (although the lack of relegation in the 3rd Division is very appealing).

Game is holidaying at the moment, and I hope to get a team that isn't being used yet. Hopefully first holiday go will be done before I go to bed.

LLR is making Elgin sound like good fun, just hope I can actually get into this game once I get it started.

Well good luck Gilbster! Good to have you aboard

Hmm, maybe I should chose another club then. Would take some fun out of it if the first steps where to easy cause the club reputation is high (although we're predicted to finish only 15th). How big are your stadiums then? And do any of you have a youth academy? We even have 2750 season ticket holders already.

Holy Moly Ohanzee that is huge, I have 149 season ticket holders, avg att of 342, A stadium which fits 3927, but only 478 seats. Basic Training, and average Youth.

League Game 5 saw us travel to Queens Park, they went up 1-0 early, but the change to my reserve (read 6th best) striker at halftime saw us come home 2-1 and move clear at the top of the table with 12pts +11 GD, Berwick & East Fife faced each other in a 1-1 draw, Berwick now has 10pts & +2.

Archived