The Official General Database Editing Thread

Michael F

As discussed with Neil Brock, we have decided to have several official threads in the Editors Forum this year to prevent the same things being posted a million times on the same page, these threads will be linked in the Resources & FAQ sticky thread for easy access.

This thread is for people who have general editing questions or need help with a certain aspect of the Editor, for example creating players, non players or clubs. Please make sure you have read the Editors Hideaway FAQ as your question might have been answered there.

Please remember that some people may be unfamiliar with the editor so be as patient and helpful as possible.

Please note also that official support may not be offered before the game is released on Friday 30th October.

Happy Editing!

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll post the same question here I put in another topic further down this thread:

I was wondering whether SI have reintroduced the +1/-1 buttons so you can edit all a player's attributes at once. This will be a small, virtually insignificant thing for most users, but every time I buy a new FM I do a mass edit to take attributes and ability down to a level I consider acceptable (IMO they're ridiculously high atm) and this can take up to three weeks before everything is ready to go. Thus, the two buttons mentioned could save me a lot of time and be quite an important factor in deciding whether I pick this game up or not.

Hello,

I've tried to ask before but will it be possible to 'activate' lower qualifying sections of the FA cup? At current the 2nd qualifying round (where Blue Square N/S clubs enter) is the first round in the game. However with the addition of lower leagues could the 1st qualifying round ( and lower) be activated?

If not could it be editted in?

I've stuck this thread for now, so that people will hopefully see it and use it...

Bear in mind that until Friday beta testers etc. are still under Non-Disclosure Agreements, so may not be able to answer some questions until then. If people start to receive the game today though...

Great sticky!

Here's a question that a few people might be wondering:

I want to create a British league, incorporating teams from England, Scotland and Wales. What's the best approach?

a) Assimilate Scottish and Welsh divisions and teams into 'England' and re-name 'England' as 'Britain'?

b) Create a new country (can this be done?)

c) Alter an unused nation such as Yugoslavia?

If (b) or © what would happen to the English, Scottish and Welsh leagues in the database (not loaded up in the save)?

If (a) what would happen to Scotland and Wales?

In all cases, what happens regarding European places for newly-deleted countries?

My second big question:

Some great people here are creating databases for lower-league English and Scottish tiers. Is it straightforward to integrate those new leagues for the squads and club details, but switch them to my league structure (e.g. move someone's 8th level team to my 9th level in another division)?

Third, and finally for now,

How 'intelligent' is the AI regarding longitudinal and latitudinal co ordinates? Will it recognise which Scottish teams should be promoted/relegated to a Western, Central, Eastern, Highland division if the team is already in the database or the coordinates are provided in a created database? Or will we have to manually say which league it should move to? Or will the AI fail to cope and randomise the changed division?

Quick question - I know we'll find out soon enough if no-one can help though :)

Can you now add/edit points deductions for teams in the database?

Yes, its possible and is one of the options in the league creation process, but to add/edit points deductions for current leagues, you'd have to recreate the league as current competitions can't be edited unfortuantly.

Sorry, if this is added elsewhere, but I presume cross country leagues are possible, does the editor recognise regions for relegation, and alter the teams in each or if a team cannot play in a specific region (ie Scandinavian team can't play in british region) therefore more teams in scandinavian sub division need to be relegated or number of teams in the division need to be increased?

thanks

David

You load the database, but you can never actually edit it physically. What you do is to make your edits, and then choose Save Editor Data. This creates an xml file, which tells FM10 what changes to make to the default database. It means you can never mess up your database, and that sharing edits is much easier as files are smaller and more 'secure'/

When you load up FM10, you may need to clear your cache for editor data files to be recognised. To do this, simply go to Preferences, untick Use Skin Cache, and tick Always Reload Skin On Confirm. Then, start a new game!

You load the database, but you can never actually edit it physically. What you do is to make your edits, and then choose Save Editor Data. This creates an xml file, which tells FM10 what changes to make to the default database. It means you can never mess up your database, and that sharing edits is much easier as files are smaller and more 'secure'/

When you load up FM10, you may need to clear your cache for editor data files to be recognised. To do this, simply go to Preferences, untick Use Skin Cache, and tick Always Reload Skin On Confirm. Then, start a new game!

Hi Thanks

Just how would i add a player though say i wanted to put myself in the game

i would open editor press load database then add new person and then after would i save as or just press save database

You'd open the editor, load the database, make your changes and then Save Editor Data As... and give it a name of your choosing. Don't overwrite any config.xml files! :D

No worries thanks for this help i wil try

ok so i save it in which folder and then how do i load it up on fm itself:)

I really do appricate this help thank you matey

I was trying to edit the league fixtures for the top two Irish leagues earlier today - but rather stupidly mixed the fixtures up - I had first division teams playing premier league fixtures and vice versa :(

Is there any way of fixing this? I've tried opening and altering the xml file but I feel I don't quite understand the coding well enough to fix it myself - I've tried up to ten times now but have screwed up on changing the coding every time.

Any answer to my original question?

I was wondering whether SI have reintroduced the +1/-1 buttons so you can edit all a player's attributes at once. This will be a small, virtually insignificant thing for most users, but every time I buy a new FM I do a mass edit to take attributes and ability down to a level I consider acceptable (IMO they're ridiculously high atm) and this can take up to three weeks before everything is ready to go. Thus, the two buttons mentioned could save me a lot of time and be quite an important factor in deciding whether I pick this game up or not.

Any answer to my original question?

Not in the new editor unfortunately.

Quick one, are we able to change which db/location the editor loads from and saves to by default?

Since I switch all my userdata to a 2nd hdd and it gets rather old having to manually move files from the FM10 default save location to my own one

Tried before the patch and now after but it hasnt been fixed.

when i add myself in the editor I can't set birthdate, same thing if I try

to change dates on an exsisting player.

If i add date on new player the field just turns blank and if I change

on say Danny Murphy from Fulham it just resets to its original date.

I tried on murphy just to see if it would work but my main concern is

adding dates to new players as i like to add myself in the game.

plzz need help

btw i tried reinstallin the game 3 times and adding patch but nothing helps

can someone assist me i have opened the new editor are choosen the load database option, the progress bar shows that the database has loaded but i have no data to change or any search boxes etc.

some screen prints would be great with an idiot guide, the misses is giving me grief as i have spent the last 4 hours trying to sort this out, the old database work a charm.

There should be a guide coming soon - I think arsenal2111 has already an unofficial one kicking about somewhere in this forum.

You should see down the left hand side the various sub-areas of data that can be edited: Awards, Competitions etc. Pick the appropriate one and then type what you want to see in the top bar of the main right hand pane.

I'm interested to know if the boundaries for step 3 leagues (Isthmian, Southern, Northern Premier divisions) are hard coded into the game (as it appears step 2 is)?

Would be great if we could get some confirmation from SI, as adding step 3 will probably be the most common edit made with the new competitions editor.

Regards,

C.

Okay. My english is bad but I will try. I started the editor pushed the "Add Nation Rules"-button then "Create new comp and rules" and picked Faroe Island as nation. I filled in the settings and then next. After that i added 10 leagues with same structure as the English Premier League. Then I thought I should create a backup point so I saved editor data as a xml-file. Finally, after saving, I closed the editor. Now the problem: when I start the editor and load the xml-file I can't find how to reach my earlier work with my new nation rules. Where can I find my changes I just did? I think it's hard to find in the editor and my earlier "nation rules"-changes I can't find at all. Please help!

I know where it is at my computer. The problem is when I start the editor and want to continue with it nothing pops up. I load the database and then load the editor data. And the xml-file is there, I click on it and load it but after that, how do I find the nation rules-changes? As I say nothing happens. I know how to find things I've edit like player attributes and so on, is just to search for it. I think the question maybe should be: How do I search for, and continue editing, the nation rules?"

OK:

1. Open the editor

2. Load database

3. Load editor data xml file

4. In the Menu window, top left, should be written Nation Rules-<Country> (<Country> = Faroe Islands in this example). Click this.

The general rules, leagues and cups should then appear in the bottom left window. Click on each entry to see them.

If this has gone wrong for you, I'd suggest starting again. Be careful not to overwrite your config.xml file!

Default Football Manager 2010 Editor FAQ

Where Can I find the Editor?

If installed using offline system it can be found in

C: > Program Files > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2010 > tools > editor > editor.exe

On Vista and W7 It can also be accessed by right-clicking on FM2010 icon in games explorer

If installed using steam the editor can be found

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\Tools\

How do I load my file into my game inside FM?

When clicking 'New Game' inside FM, you will get a dialog box appear called Choose Database. Notice in this box it will have section saying Editor Data Files and a 'Change' tick button. Clicking this button will allow you to select which of your files to load into your game.

Where can I find how to create a new nation rules or how to add leagues to existing leagues?

Videos of how to create these can be found at http://www.footballmanager.com/index.php?p=videos

For creating new nation rules view – New editor tutorial part 1

For adding new levels to existing leagues view - FM2010 data editor - how to add competitions to existing leagues

Where Should I save files too?

Whether you have created the files yourself or downloaded them they need to be placed in the following locations for them to be loaded into the game.

PC – My Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2010 > editor data

MAC – Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2010 > editor data

I have created an XML file but it is not appearing in game

Firstly make sure you have saved the file to the editor data file. If this is correct, you should try the following.

Firstly you should delete your cache and then remove the config.xml file from the editor data folder.

How to delete your cache files

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' then 'Folder Options'. Then go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows XP:

1. Open 'My Computer'

2. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the 'Sports Interactive' folder

4. Delete any 'Football Manager' folder

Windows Vista:

1. Click 'Start'

2. Click your username on the Start Menu

3. Click on 'AppData' and then 'Roaming'

4. Go into the 'Sports Interactive' folder

5. Delete any 'Football Manager' folder

Mac OSX

1. Open Finder

2. Select <User>

3. Navigate to Library\Caches\Sports Interactive

4. Remove any “Football Manager” Folder

The editor data folder is located

PC – My Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2010 > editor data

MAC – Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2010 > editor data

Just read that in another thread i go to my computer and cant find the 'tools' bit that it says?

cant get the edited file to work wondered if anyone could help?

I've got a couple of questions, firstly, how do I activate an extinct/unplayable country (USSR, Great Britain etc)?

How do I deactivate the Champions League ? I've deleted it from the database but when I start a new game it's still in the game.

Finally, how do I set the end of season playofffs for leagues so that they are 2 legs such as the English leagues?

Thanks in advance.

OK last plan not wok to well. So decided I was going to do the Andorran league which was going great until I realised there is no Super Cup in the database for them.

SO I have used the name "Lower Division" for the Super Cup (see screenshot)

Is there away for me to change the name to "Andorran Super Cup" - If so I guess it is just as easy to change the leagues to the correct names too?

Editor.jpg

Archived