How FM Has Totally Transformed from CM93/94

Fantastic trip down the memory lane. I still remember how players could get unhappy when not playing, and just selecting them and immediately deselecting in the squad screen solved the problem. Aaah, good times...

And when you resign after numerous success with the club, the board bid you farewell with a short message: "We think you are a right bandit."

:)

I remember the text commentary days, the little delay before it flashed up a goal and the resulting fist punching. It was great because that's all we had and it built up great tense. 2d changed everything - at the time 3d was practically laughed at for being improbable. Fact is, as good as the times were had in the older versions of this game - none of them can truly compare to the present.

It's like when I talk about the days of ZX Spectrum gaming with fond memories. I've gone back to some of those games and believe you and me, I'd rather sit down and play Far Cry or Last of Us than Manic Miner and Monty Mole.

ZX Spectrum. Now we're talking. Skool Daze and Back to School were my personal favourites on that platform.

Getting back on topic I remember thinking how in depth the earlier CM's were. Compared to today they were like a baby pool.

Still gave me hours and hours of fun.

It's not a walk down memory lane because I still play this. In some ways it is better than the FM (speed, analysing players, difficulty).

The article seems to say the early CMs were easy: they were bloody not, not least because of how much tighter margins were in football back then. The European Cup was only for the winners of the best leagues. To win it, first you had to win the Premier League, then you had to go through the qualifying rounds just to get to the group stage, which was only two groups of four and ONLY THE TOP TEAM would get through to the next round - the final. So imagine how competitive and tough they were. Your little English team would be drawn in a group against 3 giants, for example Bayern Munich, PSV and Barcelona. Getting a couple of points was progress.

You had to beat several juggernauts to win it. I don't even recall if I ever have (I think I finally did a few years ago).

Also consider that this was just after the English ban, which castrated English quality.

It's actually a good thing though.

Fantastic trip down the memory lane. I still remember how players could get unhappy when not playing, and just selecting them and immediately deselecting in the squad screen solved the problem. Aaah, good times...

And when you resign after numerous success with the club, the board bid you farewell with a short message: "We think you are a right bandit."

:)

Yeah.....Got that one after winning shitloads with Luton...Great memories...

Archived