Football Manager Handheld 2014 - it's here!

• SI Staff

FOOTBALL MANAGEMENT’S BACK IN HAND

The world’s greatest portable handheld football management simulation returns offering more depth, a greater challenge and a whole new game mode

November 13th 2013

SEGA and Sports Interactive are proud to present Football Manager Handheld 2014, the latest in the best-selling series for iOS and Android devices which allows managers to take control of their favourite club and lead them to glory wherever and whenever they want.

While this year’s release still offers the same blend of ‘snackable’ action and unrivalled depth of gameplay as fans have come to expect, experienced players will notice a vast number of improvements and additions, all of which add up to make this the most compelling handheld football management game to date.

The most obvious change is how the game looks and feels - FMH 2014 boasts an improved user interface and graphics throughout, along with an all-new home screen and news system (tablets and HD Android phones only). Managers can navigate through every aspect of their career more easily than before, with new pop-up and drop-down controls allowing them to make those all-important decisions quickly and simply.

It’s not just how the game looks that’s changed, though, as there have been countless changes ‘under the hood’ too. Managers can now set up their squads and prepare for matches in far greater detail than ever before, employing new control mechanics to make match preparation more detailed and thorough than previously possible. Managers can now create and set new formations and change a player’s position or switch players easily with new touch controls.

Perhaps the most striking innovation within FMH 2014 is the introduction of My Club Mode, an all-new feature which allows managers to create their own club from scratch and compete in any league they choose. Everything can be customised, from the club name to the kit colours and even the composition of the squad – build a squad of family and friends, have a new challenge with a random squad or simply put yourself into your favourite team. It’s entirely up to you.

Other improvements and enhancements include:

- More realistic transfers

FMH 2014’s transfer system is the most lifelike and in-depth in the series to date, truly reflecting the real world. Improved AI means that your managerial counterparts now make more intelligent and realistic transfer bids and squad management decisions – all of which adds to the challenge.

- Player progress tracking

Managers can now keep track of their players’ key stats throughout the season. Clear graphs show if a player is excelling or struggling in specific areas, while major benchmarks are clearly labelled to help the manager decide which members of their squad deserve a place on the next team sheet.

- Improved media and player interaction

Interaction with players, staff and media is the best it’s ever been in FMH14. Can you keep the media happy without upsetting the board, the fans or your squad?

- More extensive analysis

Just like in real life, managers now have access to a wealth of analytical data, both before and after matches.

- Detailed manager history

Managers can now easily look back on the highs and lows of their career, with a detailed account of their managerial records and the achievements they have celebrated along the way.

- Cloud Save (iOS only)

The introduction of Apple’s revolutionary cloud save technology means that managers can now continue a single career on multiple iOS devices. So, no matter where you are or whether you’ve got an iPad, iPhone or iPod to hand, you’ll always be able to load up FMH 2014 and play that next big match.

- Multiple nation set-up (New to Android)

Android users now have the ability to choose multiple nations when starting a new game (on selected devices). This allows a manager to move between leagues in various countries during his or her career, rather than being confined to a single territory.

Football Manager Handheld 2014 is available from midnight tonight through iTunes (local time per territory) and at midnight GMT through Google Play. Please allow a little time for the app to propagate across Apple and Google servers.

Store links:

App Store link (when available in your country): https://itunes.apple.com/app/football-manager-handheld-2014/id599937501?mt=8

Google Play link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sigames.fmh2014

Amazon store link: http://bit.ly/FMH14Amazon

For further information and screenshots, go to www.footballmanager.com/handheld.

Please leave any feedback here: Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you've got the balance right between more depth but not so much to ruin the pick up and play nature of the game. Not sure I'll use the team creator much but I can see how people will enjoy using it. Can't wait to download it!!

• SI Staff
Brill can't wait. Just one question, I have a Samsung Note 3, I presume that this qualifies for the all new home screen and multiple league set up?

Yes I believe it will (although I have to admit I don't have one to hand to check on, thats a fairly new device so I'd be surprised if it doesn't).

Damn, when I just was on the brink to skip this year´s iteration, the press release announcement sounds too enticing. If there is that little more depth to it plus all the other great enhancements announced today, this should make many of us very happy campers.

It really sounds Marc and team have outdone themselves. It looks ditching the PSP for good gives them considerably more legroom for iOS and Android.

• SI Staff

One thing I can't see mentioned in the 'formal' PR release by the way is that FMH2014 has a new 'Large Database' option which increases the size of the database by approximately 15-20% when enabled, for Android as with 'Multi-league' this is only available on devices which can 'handle' the larger load.

One thing I can't see mentioned in the 'formal' PR release by the way is that FMH2014 has a new 'Large Database' option which increases the size of the database by approximately 15-20% when enabled, for Android as with 'Multi-league' this is only available on devices which can 'handle' the larger load.

Since I am planning for my heavily modded Android tablet, which specs are we talking about to have the larger database running? Great to hear you found ways to do it.

• SI Staff
Since I am planning for my heavily modded Android tablet, which specs are we talking about to have the larger database running? Great to hear you found ways to do it.

What is the device out of interest? I can probably give you an idea but if it's heavily modded we can't be sure.

Miles - give this man a raise !!

What is the device out of interest? I can probably give you an idea but if it's heavily modded we can't be sure.

Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 APQ8060 1.2 Ghz Dual Core, Adreno 220, 32 GB, 1024x768 res, 1 GB RAM, Android 4.0 (Cyanogen mod). FMH 13 has worked flawlessly so far and better than on many other stock Android devices.

• SI Staff

The Player Progress page by the way - the 'marker' shown on one of the screenshots opens if you click it and indicates what event occurred at that date.

The idea is that the graph shows how a players abilities change overtime and it has various events (contract renewals, debuts etc.) and periods (ie. off-season, periods when a player is injured) marked upon it so you can see if they influenced a player in some manner.

To give an example of why this is done it should help people see which players are less professional for instance (ie. might drop off somewhat after signing a contract or a lot during the off-season).

• SI Staff
Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 APQ8060 1.2 Ghz Dual Core, Adreno 220, 32 GB, 1024x768 res, 1 GB RAM, Android 4.0 (Cyanogen mod). FMH 13 has worked flawlessly so far and better than on many other stock Android devices.

I would expect it should be available but can't be 100% on this.

Is this on IOS?

• SI Staff

The way the system decides on Android is how much heap memory is available to an application - I calculated how much is utilized by the Application in a worst case scenario and then check that the system is able to handle that for a single app running.

Please note this is NOT the same as the RAM memory on your device, its down to what the OS allows a single application to utilise (which is generally far lower than the memory in the device) - in practice nearly all 'newer' popular devices (ie. Galaxy, Nexus series etc.) will be able to run multi-league/large database setups.

• SI Staff
Any changes to the match engine or its presentation btw? Screenshots?

Some tweaks to the underlying engine - but as you can hopefully tell we've been fairly busy this year with the UI revamp etc. so it hasn't had a full overhaul yet.

(screenshots are on route)

Some tweaks to the underlying engine - but as you can hopefully tell we've been fairly busy this year with the UI revamp etc. so it hasn't had a full overhaul yet.

(screenshots are on route)

Oh, I can see how much work has gone into it to make it a definite purchase for me. Yesterday I was certain to skip it. Not anymore today after this feature list :)

Though not your fault but I bought last years FMH2013 for my Nexus 10 without reading about the game and was disappointed that I could only run one country compared to the iOS version because of lower spec Android devices.

So will the Nexus 10 be able to play multiple countries and have the large database on the FMH2014 version? Thank you.

• SI Staff
Though not your fault but I bought last years FMH2013 for my Nexus 10 without reading about the game and was disappointed that I could only run one country compared to the iOS version because of lower spec Android devices.

So will the Nexus 10 be able to play multiple countries and have the large database on the FMH2014 version? Thank you.

Yep it will.

• SI Staff
Seeing that we now have multi leagues for android how many can we choose ? i know previously for ios it was 4, 1 main nation the other three was just the top leagues. and is it still 30 max seasons or unlimited ?

The number of seasons playable remains at 30 - this is simply because it (1) gives a predictable amount of storage requirement, (2) allows us to pre-allocate memory arrays for some aspects of the game which makes memory usage fragment less and be far more predictable (ie. helps avoid crashes when a phone or tablet is running lots of things at once).

• SI Staff
will we be able to to play full matches or will it just be extended highlights?

Just highlights - I don't personally think a full 90 minute match suits a mobile device (imagine if you were 45 minutes into a real-time match and found the battery was low, you'd be gutted if it ran out etc.).

See that Charlton are doing well in your screenshots - if only it were true IRL :(

I can see that once a new club is created you appear to be able to select a league to be aligned to.

Do you specify which team you wish to demote or is that done automatically - if so based on what exactly ?

• SI Staff
See that Charlton are doing well in your screenshots - if only it were true IRL :(

I can see that once a new club is created you appear to be able to select a league to be aligned to.

Do you specify which team you wish to demote or is that done automatically - if so based on what exactly ?

You select a team to overwrite from the league in question.

Archived