Question about a "son" (S.I Response would be nice)

Hey.!

So, we all want out prospective "sons" to come through our youth ranks, and its widely known that the way to tell if the player is your son or not, is the fact that he will have you as his fave person.

Well, I've just got a player through my youth team with the same surname as me, but I'm not his fave person.

So basically, my question to SI, should they answer it is, Doe's your "Son" ALWAYS have you as fave person, or is it possible for him to not have, or do I just have a random with my surname?

Firstly, The son doesn't get you a news item for your inbox, he just appears in your youth team. Theres nothing in the game about a son either, but its been known that this is a feature.

Secondly, my last name is Douglas, not UNcommon, but hardly common, There are currently only 10 players in the game with the same surname as me. (As an example, a common name "smith" - there are 63 matches.)

Thirdly, thanks icon_biggrin.gif - My son will probably rebel.

i once had the most random regen called jimmy smith

which is my name so i was like yeah i got a son with the same name

but it wasnt my son, bit dissapointing, turned into a leading premiership winger, though so jimmy smith finally became a legend lol

Originally posted by htygyr:

i once had the most random regen called jimmy smith

which is my name so i was like yeah i got a son with the same name

but it wasnt my son, bit dissapointing, turned into a leading premiership winger, though so jimmy smith finally became a legend lol

icon_biggrin.gif \0/

My surname is uncommon, and I've yet to see a regen sharing the same name.

Has anyone seen any regens coming through, who could be sons of ageing players though? Think Teddy & Charlie Sherringham.

I signed them both in a save once. Father and Son strike force. icon_biggrin.gif

I think its just a co-insidence, many youth players you bring through often have you as their favored person. I'm not sure Id want the feature of my fictional son coming through the ranks either to be honest, Id rather just see a field added to the database that holds information about relatives (brothers, fathers ect) involved in the game. That way if you did want your son in the game you could add him to the database yourself, I have a real son and find it wierd that I would be tracking the career of a fictional son. But thats just me.

I would find a bit of info detailing fathers, uncles, sons, brothers etc who are also involved in the game though, would be handy for news items and such.

I was trying to figure this out a couple of days ago, i kept repeating the "new intake of youth players" day, and after 40 attempts i got no joy.

That said in FM07 after a 70 year career no "son" turned up so maybe the chances are just very low.

It would be quite conclusive due to the fact there is noone in the database with my surname, i will be sure to let you know if i have any luck, and more to the point, if he actually likes me.

I suppose nationality and where you manage may affect it.

For instance if you are an English manager, managing an English team you may be slightly more likely to have a son in your youth team than, say, a Brazilian managing in Scotland.

I think the game can produce regens based on your name, the same as any other name in the game, but that doesnt mean they are your son/relative.

I have a very unusual surname that isnt in the game and in previous versions ive seen it regenerated.

Originally posted by sifrow:

I suppose nationality and where you manage may affect it.

For instance if you are an English manager, managing an English team you may be slightly more likely to have a son in your youth team than, say, a Brazilian managing in Scotland.

Are Brazilians not allowed to sh@g in Scotland? icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Pricey85:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bullion1:

not on my watch.

Good policy tbh it would really mess up the clockwork and could bend the hands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brilliant. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm very interested in this as having a son come through my youth team is something I've been wanting to happen since I forst heard about it in FM07.

But despite playing a shed load of seasons since then I'm yet to have a regen with my surname never mind one come through my youth ranks with my surname and me be their favourite personnel. My surname (Hopper) is not even that rare I don't think, but every time I stick in the search field it comes back with no results, and I'm now in 2024 with Gateshead.

I'm starting to wonder if the whole son thing is a myth. There was a lot of talk about it in '07 but I haven't heard of it happening to many people in '08/ Perhaps a few people with fairly common surname happened to have a youth player come through the ranks who coincidentally had the same surname as them and also had them as their favoured personnel, like other youth players can.

I'd like to hear something official on this as if it can happen I think it's an excellent little feature.

• 3 weeks later...

We have answers! Just had a "son" and due to the fact my surname doesn't exist in the database it's a certainty that he is my "son".

Anyway, in response to the above questions;

1/ There's no special message, he just comes through as a new youth product.

2/ He does not inherit second nationalities.

3/ He does have me as the top of his favoured personnel.

4/ It MAY require a manager age above 50, and even then it doesn't happen often - i re-loaded the june 18th/19th over 60 times before one appeared - i was investigating feeder club termination.

Now i can't say these things ALWAYS happen, it may be that not all sons have you listed in the fav personnel, but all i can go on is what i've seen.

The kiddo

Although there are one or two problems;

1/ i'd never plague a child of mine with the name "robbie".

2/ he looks like a bit of a ******.

lol - now to force him into the chelsea first team on his 16th birthday icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by chopper99:

I'm very interested in this as having a son come through my youth team is something I've been wanting to happen since I forst heard about it in FM07.

But despite playing a shed load of seasons since then I'm yet to have a regen with my surname never mind one come through my youth ranks with my surname and me be their favourite personnel. My surname (Hopper) is not even that rare I don't think, but every time I stick in the search field it comes back with no results, and I'm now in 2024 with Gateshead.

I'm starting to wonder if the whole son thing is a myth. There was a lot of talk about it in '07 but I haven't heard of it happening to many people in '08/ Perhaps a few people with fairly common surname happened to have a youth player come through the ranks who coincidentally had the same surname as them and also had them as their favoured personnel, like other youth players can.

I'd like to hear something official on this as if it can happen I think it's an excellent little feature.

Yes but apart from Gazza how many players have you seen come from Gateshead?

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Firstly, The son doesn't get you a news item for your inbox, he just appears in your youth team. Theres nothing in the game about a son either, but its been known that this is a feature.

Hhen was this feature introduced? Was this in FM06?

Originally posted by Ossei:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Hhen was this feature introduced? Was this in FM06? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FM07 IIRC

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Hairul Misay:

Ched, where you get that skin??

It's just the standard skin, but with a club badges/icons/kits pack - you should be able to find one easily enough in the graphics forum, not sure but i think it got mine from sortitoutsi.net

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rooneymagic88:

Do you have to have played for a lot of seasons to see sons?

Depends on the starting age of the manager, tbh. And even then, you're not guaranteed to get one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I presume he is in the youth team of the club you are currently managing?

Sometimes I go back and play FM2007. I just loaded an Ascoli game that I haven't played in 9 months or something and I've seen the son of Thomas Doll (appeared in 2011). Doll is manager of Roma now and has been so for 5 years now. His son Stefan Doll is now without a club (he really isn't very good icon_razz.gif ) but he has Italian 1st nationality. I checked Thomas Doll's history and he played for Frankfurt in 1994 (Stefan YoB), so why is he Italian? icon_biggrin.gif

Another question BTW, can sons of players who have already retired appear in the game?

Originally posted by AB-forever:

Sometimes I go back and play FM2007. I just loaded an Ascoli game that I haven't played in 9 months or something and I've seen the son of Thomas Doll (appeared in 2011). Doll is manager of Roma now and has been so for 5 years now. His son Stefan Doll is now without a club (he really isn't very good icon_razz.gif ) but he has Italian 1st nationality. I checked Thomas Doll's history and he played for Frankfurt in 1994 (Stefan's Year of Birth), so why is he Italian? icon_biggrin.gif

Another question BTW, can sons of players who have already retired appear in the game?

Fixed something stupid icon_wink.gif

Archived