Overated Arsenal? I beg to differ

Now since the day FM was release there have been many posts saying Arsenal are overated, Arsenal are to powerful, I cant beat Arsenal please help me and are SI sponsered by Arsenal. Now personally I have never experienced this Ive beaten them on several occasions with Liverpool but there is nothing special there it just happens.

I decided it was time for a change in FM and it was time to try going from the BSN to the top having some fun along the way. I picked my local(ish) club, consulted the GPTG for the Conference signed a few players and went on my merry way. My season was going pretty well combined with a miraculous FA Cup run all the way until the 4th Round.

If Arsenal are as overated as some people claim, I would love for people to explain how they managed to only do this to me?

* Links Contain Player Naming *

Match Result

Stats

Arsenal team

I have to say I was impressed, I expected I was going to beat dafuge's record for a defeat but instead a respectable 3-0 loss. Most L1 clubs would be happy with that so you wont here any complaints from me:)

Yes I could have used one of the existing arsenal are powerful threads but I felt this waranted one of its self and I hope people wont disagree with me!

I'm not saying that Arsenal are overrated, but that doesn't necessarily prove that Arsenal aren't too good in FM09. Surely you can't expect them to beat every non-league team that they play by over 5-0? Doesn't happen that much IRL really anyway.

Nice result though :thup:

I was struggling to see how I was smug for posting the fact I got beat 3-0 but never mind.

I would post the match stats but to be honest there's far to many 0's in my side for me!

As for the lineups suffice to say it was a surprisingly strong team but I dont want to post these as it breaks the no player naming rule IMO. You could argue that the result does to I suppose but hey!

I was struggling to see how I was smug for posting the fact I got beat 3-0 but never mind.

I would post the match stats but to be honest there's far to many 0's in my side for me!

As for the lineups suffice to say it was a surprisingly strong team but I dont want to post these as it breaks the no player naming rule IMO. You could argue that the result does to I suppose but hey!

Could you not just post the link instead of putting an image up?

Beat Arsenal 3-1 in the FA Cup with my Bristol City team in first season, but still think they're overrated. Have nothing against them in real life but in the game they are a bit much. Plus you can't simply brush off countless other threads here about people experiencing the same thing over and over. My match was probably a fluke in a way, a real exception to the rule, or in this instance, to the trend.

So your basing your claim that arsenal are not dominant on ONE game?

While that game is an example, looking at the leauge table for the season they are struggling down in 7th and not performing at all well. I appreciate the fact that one game doesnt disprove the many threads that have said arsenal are too dominant in the game and this has obivously been toned down in 9.0.2 but I felt this did show the point that they arent destroying every team they come acrross in the game.

As you can see I have also not suffered the problem in another game where I have beaten them with Liverpool but that in itself isnt exactly proof imo

I think Arsenal are very strong because their tactics/manager are very good. They do have very good players, stats wise, but those players perform very well because the tactics are top notch.

I'm on the 6th season and they are still the most powerful EPL AI team. And they have already lost Walcott, Fabregas and Adebayor (among others, not as good as these, e.g. Carlos Vela). Probably their 3 top players on FM09. Their replacements just take over from the previous stars and just keep on playing at a high level.

i think everyone has gone too far with this Arsenal overrated blab.

7 seasons passed, yes arsenal have been in the top 4 all but 1 year but are yet to win a title other than the FA Cup which they won once in my game. City are the only team to finish in the top 4 every year winning the league twice

Smug and pointless.

You're an idiot.

Arsenal have performed far better than they should in all saves that I've played on '09, so I feel they definitely are over-rated.

Nice to see them struggling a little in some peoples games though, and only managing to put 3 past Huwflet. Which is quite an achievment 'cos he's rubbish :D

You're an idiot.

Arsenal have performed far better than they should in all saves that I've played on '09, so I feel they definitely are over-rated.

Nice to see them struggling a little in some peoples games though, and only managing to put 3 past Huwflet. Which is quite an achievment 'cos he's rubbish :D

Jee thanks chopper:( I was on cloud 9 after that and now you just ruined it for me:eek:

Your only as good as your squad of players. Any manager is going to struggle with a rubbish squad just ask Roy Keane :p

Great result for you there Huw. Over the next few years, Manchester United will dominate, does that make Man U 'overpowered'? FM is your own football world, where reality in Football goes out the window and anything can happen. So why is it that when Arsenal are dominating it is thought that Arsenal are overpowered?

Why don't you try and do something about it?

look at nicklas bendtners stats and then watch him on match of the day

arsenal are over rated

I, personally, have not played with Arsenal, nor have I looked at Bendtners' stats. But, IRL, he would be a walk-up start for just about every team in the premiership , except maybe the big 4. I'm sure Pompey, Rovers, etc... would love to have him.

WHile I admit he's not Messi or KaKa, he is quality!

if you look through arsenals sqaud, and you look at the stats for players like denilson, ramsey, bentdner and even someone like almunia, youll see arsenal are over rated

i might be wrong, but in the game i think almunia has considerably better stats than shay given

which is just mental

is it the case that players that play for big teams at the start of the game get 'marked up' on stats?

arsenal on my hull save are doin very average but its due to a manager change who plays 4-3-2-1 christmas tree with everyone out of position.

arsenals players stats for some players are overrated. moreso, its the fact within 4 years, they grow to be too good.

In my save, in the 1st season Newcastle Utd won the premier league with a very average team followed by Man U , Arsenal and Chelsea. Liverppol finished 9th with Benitez getting the sack and Alex McLeish being put in charge!!

The teams to watch out for in my 4th season are Man City, Newcastle, Spurs and Man Utd with the other top 3 sides fighting it out for euro qualification :p

I snapped up a few Arsenal youngsters in my first season so i guess this is why they are struggling now, but Newcastle winning the league was a MASSIVE surprise

Great result for you there Huw. Over the next few years, Manchester United will dominate, does that make Man U 'overpowered'? FM is your own football world, where reality in Football goes out the window and anything can happen. So why is it that when Arsenal are dominating it is thought that Arsenal are overpowered?

Why don't you try and do something about it?

If I was at home I'd put screenshots up of this, but in my saves on '09 Arsenal have dominated the Premier League from day 1. That is completely unrealistic and some of their players do seem very over-rated (particularly Bedtner who's pretty average in real life). In real life Arsenal are a fair way off challenging for the title at the moment, so they should not be that dominant in the game.

Of course in some people games they've had a manager change and that's caused them to slip down a little. But in most games I've read about where Wenger stays in charge they dominate the league.

There's only one team that annoy me regularly like Arsenal do and that's Inter in the CL. They always seem to pull some sort of magic out of the hat! I don't mind though, cos it's a game and hell, I know I can beat them in other seasons!

It's all good too cos I hate Arsenal in real life, and I love NOTHING more than beating Wenger and then slagging him after the match.

There's only one team that annoy me regularly like Arsenal do and that's Inter in the CL.

I find Italian teams in general unbeatable, unless i'm managing an Italian team. Juve and Inter dominated Europe for the ebst part of 15 years on my 08 save.

i think that arsenal players arent overated in terms of stats i think there consistency should be lowered, i mean they pull of games which proves that arsen wenger is a good coach e.g beating united and chelsea and then next game they lose to burnley and say wenger and then say arsenal is s***

I still havent found any overrated team (against me). Arsenal won the league easily with only 2 defeats, crushed Chelsea 4-1 and Man U 3-0 but against me they lost 4-0 (Im Benfica)... So at least in my game their "power" only works against CPU teams :p

Now I joined Liverpool just to prevent them from winning the EPL again :D

Some people mentioned the Italian league but I fail to see the problem. In my game the Italian clubs never get past the Semi's (if they get that far) and I won the Italian league as Fiorentina (with a lot of draws tho :|)

PS: Im still in 9.1.0 ...

No I cant say I have either. Ive never seen the Arsenal dominance that some people talk about although they have been "toned down" in 9.0.2 so I find it interesting that you havent suffered this as much as others Andehlson. The only time I see teams try to dominate is when they have a tycoon takeover, a classic example being northampton in my save who are pushing for promotion to the premiership this season (or were before I started a new game, see OP for that one!).

Havent managed in Italy (yet) so cant comment on that. But I have played and beat italian teams along the way to my 6 CL trophies so I must be doing something right.

Archived