Holy. Moses. (Who said Strikers can't score..!! )

I once saw Newcastle get a 6-6 draw (Agianst Tranmere at St James' Park).

High scoring games happen IRL, it's when they happen too often that it's a problem.

yes but this would never happen EVER in the champions league QTR final which is slightly (only slightly) different to tranmere v newcastle

yes but this would never happen EVER in the champions league QTR final which is slightly (only slightly) different to tranmere v newcastle

To be fair there's not that many Champions League quarter final matches played every year.

So given the odds on this kind of scoreline in a normal game then it's fair to assume that you'd have to wait a lot of years IRL for it to happen in the Champions League quarter final. But it can happen.

As we all know, football began about 15 years ago with the formation of the Premier League (;)) and I'm sure Ipswich lost 9-1 to Man U fairly recently but nobody suggested reality needed a patch. That's after only about 5700 Premier League games have been played.

The problem we have is that this forum has about 40,000 active users (From about 110,000 registered users). If each of those 40,000 has played say 4 seasons so far of FM then that's 2,560,000 CL quarter final matches that users of this forum have played between them.

I don't find it unrealistic in the slightest that one person has found a 9-2 scoreline in those 2.5m Champions League quarter final games (In fact I would find it far more unrealistic if they hadn't!). To see that number of CL QF fixtures IRL would take 160,000 years.

Rogue results happen, IRL and in the game. It would be FAR worse if the match engine artificially stopped you scoring lots, ie once you got 4-0 up then the opposition defenders got much better or your strikers forgot how to shoot.

And yes, I know my maths above makes a lot of assumptions that are easily challenged but the general point is strong and that's that we've got a hell of a lot of people playing a hell of a lot of games whereas there's only 1 reality.

I'm not the manager of either team. The most ridiculous score I've ever seen on FM09 :D

Blimey that's odd. My reserves once won a game 13-1 (I think, in FM07) but two teams in the CL QF?

Am I correct in thinking that there's an accepted suspicion that Arsenal aren't overrated per se but their playing style is amplified by the current match engine? Hence the occasional mad scoreline.

And let's get to the most important issue of this screenshot - who is Andrew Dem and was he worth searching for? :D

The problem we have is that this forum has about 40,000 active users (From about 110,000 registered users). If each of those 40,000 has played say 4 seasons so far of FM then that's 2,560,000 CL quarter final matches that users of this forum have played between them.

4 quarter finals, played home and away is 8 matches.

8 multiplied by the amount of seasons (4) is 32.

32 mulptiplied by 40,000 (the amount of users) is 1.28 million.

4 quarter finals, played home and away is 8 matches.

8 multiplied by the amount of seasons (4) is 32.

32 mulptiplied by 40,000 (the amount of users) is 1.28 million.

Quite right, I was thinking 8 quarter final teams rather than 4 quarter final matches, so ended up with double the final number. :thup:

Still, that's a lot of CL QFs we've played between us.

This was a problem i found on FM08. Man U won the first leg 3-0 and for some reason the match engine decides to make the second leg hugely open with goals flying in everywhere. I had a similar case when i beat Liverpool 2-0 in the first leg then lost something like 8-5 in the second leg, every highlight seemed to end in a goal!

Quite right, I was thinking 8 quarter final teams rather than 4 quarter final matches, so ended up with double the final number. :thup:

Still, that's a lot of CL QFs we've played between us.

The calculation is flawed. It assumes that every players has indeed played the CL and indeed reached that far.

Other than that, high scoring CL games? Ehmm, Monaco-Deportivo 8-3? This was in 2003, when these teams were actually good teams.

The calculation is flawed. It assumes that every players has indeed played the CL and indeed reached that far.

Other than that, high scoring CL games? Ehmm, Monaco-Deportivo 8-3? This was in 2003, when these teams were actually good teams.

He's not talking about how many we've actually played, but how many the AI has calculated. :thup:

but the general point is strong and that's that we've got a hell of a lot of people playing a hell of a lot of games whereas there's only 1 reality.

That is the most sense ever spoken on these forums,

It's 2016, and aside from Rooney and Tevez no one here but the OP knows how good Man Utd are then, so this is a lot of pointless speculation.

I'd assume Man Utd would not have deteriorated that badly considering it's a) Man Utd, b) just 2016 (hardly 2036 or something) and c) they are still good enough to reach the Quarters of the Champions League.

My mate showed me a score once being 36-0 :O. Then i found out he was cheating :@. He was taking over as manager and putting all the attackers in defence and all that mambojumbo. Thats annoying i try my hardest he wins everything and brags and i get relegated:(

To be fair there's not that many Champions League quarter final matches played every year.

So given the odds on this kind of scoreline in a normal game then it's fair to assume that you'd have to wait a lot of years IRL for it to happen in the Champions League quarter final. But it can happen.

As we all know, football began about 15 years ago with the formation of the Premier League (;)) and I'm sure Ipswich lost 9-1 to Man U fairly recently but nobody suggested reality needed a patch. That's after only about 5700 Premier League games have been played.

I don't find it unrealistic in the slightest that one person has found a 9-2 scoreline in those 2.5m Champions League quarter final games (In fact I would find it far more unrealistic if they hadn't!). To see that number of CL QF fixtures IRL would take 160,000 years.

Rogue results happen, IRL and in the game. It would be FAR worse if the match engine artificially stopped you scoring lots, ie once you got 4-0 up then the opposition defenders got much better or your strikers forgot how to shoot.

And yes, I know my maths above makes a lot of assumptions that are easily challenged but the general point is strong and that's that we've got a hell of a lot of people playing a hell of a lot of games whereas there's only 1 reality.

But your statement has waaaay too many variables. You say 40,000 active users, ok fair enough. And you say 4 seasons each so 4 CL QTR finals each. That's assuming each of them picked a team that starts off in the CL in the beginning of the game and they made it our of their CL group. So that number is probably way off. And i don't know the exact date, but hasn't the European Cup been going on for arond 50 years or something (correct me if i'm wrong.) So that's 4 QTR final games, including the second leg with another 4, So 8 in total per year for 50 years would bring you to 400 games. In those 400 games, there has never been a game that produced such a ridiculous scoreline, especially when both the teams have great defense.

But your statement has waaaay too many variables. You say 40,000 active users, ok fair enough. And you say 4 seasons each so 4 CL QTR finals each. That's assuming each of them picked a team that starts off in the CL in the beginning of the game and they made it our of their CL group. So that number is probably way off. And i don't know the exact date, but hasn't the European Cup been going on for arond 50 years or something (correct me if i'm wrong.) So that's 4 QTR final games, including the second leg with another 4, So 8 in total per year for 50 years would bring you to 400 games. In those 400 games, there has never been a game that produced such a ridiculous scoreline, especially when both the teams have great defense.

I don't think you quite grapsed the point there. Don't forget that the player was not in charge of either team in the OP so the 40,000 players only have to have CL running so the QFs are played. 1.3m QF games played in FM compared to 400 IRL is statistically more likely to produce a whacky result. Don't forget that Man Utd hammered Roma a year or two back (maybe not a QF, but still)

Well cliff7917 I am a Maths major and I have to tell you your calculations and assumptions are way flawed, particularly for a video game. And you shouldn't have stated it because it will only cause arguments of the wrong nature that do not relate to the opening post.

But what I have to agree is that yes it is a 1 off result. There's only a small and slightest possible chance that it would ever happen. Reload your game and you won't get such a result for a 2nd time. Therefore, I wouldn't be too fussed if I were you Nepenthez. ;)

Archived