Anyone else struggling?

I've only played 3 friendlies and lost 2 against Queen of the South and Schalke. I'm West Ham.... Used to stroll through friendlies..

One goal scored, a header. Players not on long shots shooting from 40 yards, Team on short passing but hoofing it long, hitting the woodwork from 5 yards. Not looking forward to this game!!!

to many goals conceded that are the same way...long hoof from their LB or RB straight through to their striker my CBs no where to be seen

and at least 50% of shots on target result in goals....

so far for me this season 9 games played i have scored 17 goals with70 on target

opposition 35 scored 51 on target

I struggled a bit, tweaked my tactics. I have got more success with a 4-3-2-1, three MCs, not wingers. Quick tempo, short passing, use target man. No arrows apart from two small ones on full backs. I think it does arrows automatically with forwards runs.

I was close to giving up, with ridiculously slow machine game and injuries. This is still the case but I'm carrying on in the hope a patch will resolve these (and ruin my tactic with a modified match engine no doubt).

Hate to say it, but I've started 3 games (if you include one on the demo) and not struggled at all with any of them.

I keep my tactics fairly simple (generally 442), no extreme sliders, generally no individual instruction tweaks.

Having said that I never play with a 'top 4' type team, so my expectations are never that high. I'm probably just lucky tbh.

Hate to say it, but I've started 3 games (if you include one on the demo) and not struggled at all with any of them.

I keep my tactics fairly simple (generally 442), no extreme sliders, generally no individual instruction tweaks.

Having said that I never play with a 'top 4' type team, so my expectations are never that high. I'm probably just lucky tbh.

I was doing well after three games. In fact, I won five of my opening seven league games. Then I went five months without a league win! Nothing I tried made any difference. It was not fun. I have to give some serious thought as to how much time I want to invest in FM09.

I have to give some serious thought as to how much time I want to invest in FM09.

That's the problem i'm faced with. I spent 2 months getting tactics sorted for 08, I imagine it will take twice as long for 09 and do I really want to spend that much time trying to make myself enjoy the game, and at the same time losing every game and getting angry.

I hate to say this and I feel like a cheat, but in order to enjoy FM09, I might just give it a miss until some nice tactical geniuses upload some decent tactics :(

Whilst i wouldn't say i was struggling as such i am having a bit of an issue scoring goals. I think tonight after work will be spent painstakingly trawling the tactics forum for ideas on how to get them firing on all cylinders. Then i'm sure i will be banging them in from all angles, or i'll be the first man in the history of FM to get Man Utd relegated in his first season in charge...you know either way!

That's the problem i'm faced with. I spent 2 months getting tactics sorted for 08, I imagine it will take twice as long for 09 and do I really want to spend that much time trying to make myself enjoy the game, and at the same time losing every game and getting angry.

I hate to say this and I feel like a cheat, but in order to enjoy FM09, I might just give it a miss until some nice tactical geniuses upload some decent tactics :(

It's a shame because I've been really pleased with it. Everything is great. That is, right up until you play the matches and find yourself constantly losing. The assitant manager advice is useless because he loves to tell you what's wrong but he doesn't even hint at how you might fix it.

The assitant manager advice is useless because he loves to tell you what's wrong but he doesn't even hint at how you might fix it.

I agree entirely. I only ever listen to his opposition instruction recommendations. But it seems he will never be satisfied until everyone is shown onto their weaker foot.

Edit: I wish there was a button to press where he would deal with all the oppo instructions (except hard tackling their strikers, which is a no no in my book).

Everyone loves the game when they're winning, and hates the game when they're losing :D

It's always been that way on FM.

It's taking me some time to figure out tactics, but it's going to take a lot of trial and error to understand the match engine and how tactics affect what your palyers really do.

Watching the full 90 minutes in 3D helps a lot to understand how players act differently with different individual instructions.

I've had mixed results so far.

I don't even take any notice of his feedback, I lost interest when every match he claimed my GK was misplacing a lot of passes :rolleyes: I assume a goal kick is considered a pass and they rarely hit their target. Also this stuff about a lot of room between defence and midfield, well what on earth am I supposed to do about that? I can't play 13 players and I can't move players into the gap or there will be too much space elsewhere :mad:

Everyone loves the game when they're winning, and hates the game when they're losing

That's the major problem though, I don't hate the game I actually think it's a great step forward, but for me it's just too hard to enjoy atm.

That's the other issue, I enjoyed FM08 so much from the start that it's hard to move on :D For me, as soon as I played 08, and no matter how bad 9.0.0 was, I struggled but the tactics I set had the players playing quality football in the way i'd hoped they would, in 09 I have just plain struggled.

plasticsoldiers, i'm not moaning, my gripes are all based my my own tactical ineptitude :D

Also this stuff about a lot of room between defence and midfield, well what on earth am I supposed to do about that? I can't play 13 players and I can't move players into the gap or there will be too much space elsewhere :mad:QUOTE]

Actually, I think that's to do with the fact that the attack/defence mentality of your players is too spread out accross the board. I think I read on the tactics forum that there shouldn't be more than 5 clicks (or something) difference in mentality between any of your players. They'll know in T&T.

Why are you all moaning, I am Luton, 23rd now in the league,only in november at -4 points. I play 4-1-2-1-2 and just tweak my tactics depending on my scouts report. Sometimes I win well,scape though,lose by 1 or get thrashed but I keep going.

If it was not for the 30 point deduction then I would be 4th so keep going,tweak your tactics every game and pick a team around yr tactics,remember your best 11 may not always suit that tactic.

I've had the same problem with both FM07 and FM08, it took me absoluetly ages to "get good" at the game, but it happened eventually.

Although I hope FM09 wont be as hard (judging from your comments it is) I've only played one friendly against inferior opposition so far, so its a bit too early to say.

I have to say I'm prepared for some long ardeous months before I "figure out" whats important in this incarnation of the match engine though.

I started with spurs and it was a nightmare start with only 1 win form 12 games ion the league and sitting 17th for quite a while yet in Europe and the cups i was blitzing them all , just finished the season 6th and won the league cup while getting knocked out of the quarters of the uefa cup to AC Milan.

So it took a while to find the right tactic i went 4-3-2-1 and seemed to work well in the end.

The last time i "cracked" a formation was on FM07, and that took me the best part of 5 months to acheive.

I have only just started my new game with QPR and i am trying my hardest to keep things simple.

Apart from the previous guy, has anyone tried to edit the team instructions only?? I've been doing this and have had moderate success in my friendlies (sadly these are not really anything to go by). What worries me is editing the individual tactics so much that the players just 'play for themselves' rather than form a tactical unit.

I know i am not good at this game tactically, so has anyone acheived decent success without hours of tweaking?

Started with Liverpool..after 8 league games..1 win, 6 draws, 1 defeat (to West Brom at Home!) Scored 4 goals...Torres has one goal in 13 matches...I hate the fact players dont listen to what you say...Mascherano..i have him on ultimate defensive mentality,,rarely taking long shots and he still comes forward and shoots!!

Everyone loves the game when they're winning, and hates the game when they're losing :D

I can assure you this isn't true in my case, and I certainly don't hate the game. I just feel like all power has been taken away from me and that nothing I do is ever going to result in more than the occasional victory.

Mike's hit the nail on the head. In 08 I felt that the players followed my instructions and as a result played some wonderful football, in 09 I feel as if I pick the team and then they do what they want, i've lost all power and sit there getting angrier and angrier with my defence who play offside even though I told them not to.

Mike's hit the nail on the head. In 08 I felt that the players followed my instructions and as a result played some wonderful football, in 09 I feel as if I pick the team and then they do what they want, i've lost all power and sit there getting angrier and angrier with my defence who play offside even though I told them not to.

I honestly feel it's worse than that. For me, the assitant's advice has made me even more frustrated. It's like I can read what I'm doing wrong, but there's no hint at how to sort it out. It also feels like the players under my control lose all ability unless you get your tactic exactly right. They don't just do what they want, they actually lose the ability to do much of anything unless your tactics are perfect. And, as yet, I can rule out about 100 different tactical set ups as being that perfect one! Gotta love it! :D

4-1-3-2 is the tactic ;)

Straight back four, a DM with a CM just in front, LM and RM with forward arrows and 2 strikers. Works a treat

I played that formation (possibly without the arrows, can't remember) and lost 4-1. At home.

Lol its a really good game until you get to the matches. As you watch the tactic you spent half an hour on not working in a match, which results in you loosing again after previous attemps of adjusting tactics and then being in the position "well its back to the drawing board" and that goes on and on :D Its Kinda Like HELL! :D But i love the game. Can't wait till i somehow work it all out!

Lol its a really good game until you get to the matches. As you watch the tactic you spent half an hour on not working in a match, which results in you loosing again after previous attemps of adjusting tactics and then being in the position "well its back to the drawing board" and that goes on and on :D Its Kinda Like HELL! :D But i love the game. Can't wait till i somehow work it all out!

That does seem to be the way of FM09.

the last straw..away at West Ham...I had 16 shots they had 2 ..guess the score..1-0 to the Hammers...Also...i dont know how this works..it doesnt make sense..at Half time they had over 60% possession and 1 shot but i had 8 shots..Every game i notice this that the team with much less possession always has better chances..

I played that formation (possibly without the arrows, can't remember) and lost 4-1. At home.

you have to play it with distribution to both wings use a target man, and play conservitely, as in below half way on mentality, sounds negative but tick counter attack (even at home) and lm and rm will rip teams apart, plus the CM tends to score lots despite without an arrow.

DigOutYourSoul

They're probably hitting you on the counter, maybe have one of you midfielders drop back while your going forward... restrict his forward runs and so when the other team break against you he can cover some of it? Could also increase the closing down of your strikers to put pressure on their defence into making mistakes and stop them keeping the ball and increasing their possession?

I love that it all makes really good sense yet i have tried this and it didn't work but maybe it'll work for you lol?

Maybe reading this will help you: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=61144

Funny that i actually read that stuff looking for a more realistic tactic, because i was tired of winning everything, it really is frustating for me that the game is so easy.

Actually, you just need to pick the right players and the right formation. The game does all the rest.

I am Manchester City.

I signed - Arshavin, Srna, Veloso, and Jesus Navas.

I play 4-1-3-2 with the wingers attacking....

I have played 15 league games...won 4 (the first four) lost 10 and drawn once.

I have fiddled with the ********* tactics for so long now, I'm getting extremely wound up!

I mean I lost....6-2...at home....to goddamn STOKE CITY!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Archived