Does anyone actually like the 3D?

I'm not expecting next-gen quality obviously, but seriously this is unwatchable... I'm just having my first game now and I could probably list 100 errors with it already. It looks so tacky and pathetic.

SI seriously must be having a laugh if they expect people to pay for this

SO back to fm07 again it seems.. no wonder they only put the video demo on Yuotube so in the low quality video nobody could see how **** it is

Does anybody actually like it?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I think its excellent. If you expected anything more then I guess you were expecting too much. The 3D match engine runs smooth as silk for me, I haven't experienced any problems with it. Also I'm afraid your post is yet another post that complains but doesn't go into specifics. In order to be able to respond to you SI will need to know what is wrong with your experience and as important what hardware you are using. You say you could list 100 errors, I seriously doubt that but again it would be helpful to SI to give more details if you want any of these issues looking at by them.

If your 3D is running slow or jerky have you tried lowering the detail level in the preferences ? By default it auto detects but you can lower the settings if you choose

It's neat and fun...

I really have to say this. If you guys where expecting anything close to good graphics you've been pretty naive and dumb. The engine itself is ages old, developed by a company below SEGA and this is the first stab SI have had at 3D. They have only implemented it to make way for the future. It's not supposed to be neat and pretty really, it's there to help you visualize the game better and get a better grasp of what happens in the matches.

But in truth the game is not about 3D. It's about the superb match engine. But I guess tards like you and all the other ****tards on this forum is declining this game because "Boohoo 3D is not pwetty!" without even taking a proper look at the other aspects of the game. Trust me the match engine compensates for all that might be wrong with the demo. Plus a lot of the demo bugs will be fixed by an early patch.

Its not slow or jerky its just stupid, like players standing completely still with the ball then passing a few seconds later, the player movement around the pitch looks stupid, the graphics are just generally awful and i can't tell the difference between any of my players now until they have the ball and their name comes up so I can't see what each player is doing etc.

Maybe my expectations were too high but I seriouslythink it looks worse than something like sensible soccer on the snes, its an absolute joke

I like it, it does the job for me, the 3d runs very well on my laptop without any problems...

I think people just set the expectations really high when they heard about the 3d inclusion, and it have not got that. we were never going to get the quality of ps2-ps3 or any other video game types of graphics as this is a complete new feature, over time it will improve.

Also, my problem really is the game is basically the exact same game i've been playing for years with minor updates that aren't even that great anyway and they lump in this 3d crap that most people cant seem to work and most who can saying its ****, and call it a "revolution" while missing out loads of glaring errors yet again

I could type an essay on what needs to be changed, but why bother because thye never listen anyway and all you idiots keep paying for the same crap year after year when you should all be complaining about them ripping you off - then they would stop being so lazy

Its not slow or jerky its just stupid, like players standing completely still with the ball then passing a few seconds later, the player movement around the pitch looks stupid, the graphics are just generally awful and i can't tell the difference between any of my players now until they have the ball and their name comes up so I can't see what each player is doing etc.

Maybe my expectations were too high but I seriouslythink it looks worse than something like sensible soccer on the snes, its an absolute joke

well when your players are standing around doing nothing, switch to 2d and take a look at it, and you will notice it dont look out of place...

3d is doing exactly what 2d view was showing us before, but now we can actually see clearly what the players are doing and it just looks weird at first.. i have gotten use to it.

Also, my problem really is the game is basically the exact same game i've been playing for years with minor updates that aren't even that great anyway and they lump in this 3d crap that most people cant seem to work and most who can saying its ****, and call it a "revolution" while missing out loads of glaring errors yet again

I could type an essay on what needs to be changed, but why bother because thye never listen anyway and all you idiots keep paying for the same crap year after year when you should all be complaining about them ripping you off - then they would stop being so lazy

Maybe because all us "idiots" don't think we are been ripped off. The reason I buy it is because I like football management games and it is the best out there. Simple.

And I also do not think it is very expensive.

I like it. It's not FIFA09, but I think that for a first shot at the 3D, it's a pretty good foundation to work from. Yes, there are little bugs and simplistic maneuvers, but I think that later iterations will aim at more realistic animations, settings (stadium/crowds), and graphics.

1) i am no idiot i beleive that FM has been and still is the best football managment simulation out in the market hense why I and a lot of other people out there buy it.

2) SI do listen to the people on the forum and over the years have implemented many ideas into FM which actually came out of this forum.

3) i also dont think SI are being lazy at all, they are trying to provide us with the best game out there and it takes a hell of a lot of time to actually code and develop a game.

4) if you feel you can make a better game then please give us one.

5) no one is forcing anyone to buy the game, you have tried the demo and if you dont like it, dont buy it.

I wasn't expecting too much anyway as it is the 1st 3D match view they've done. So I actually don't mind the graphics and stuff, sure there are a few anomalies but overall it's acceptable.

However my problem is the stuttering. I have upgraded the video card drivers, updated directx, changed the settings to low - ingame and on my video card settings. All of the video card settings are now set to the performance side and not quality. I turned off whatever background stuff that I needed to turn off and done a defrag on HDs.

Really I have done all I can to improve it but it still stutters. All of the stuff mentioned made no difference, the only thing that made a slight difference was changing the resolution. It was massively jerky but after playing around with the resolutions it's probably watchable now but it still stutters, just not as much as before.

I can get Counter Strike Source, DODS and other games to run fine, without mucking around too much with the graphics options so you'd think a simple 3D match in FM would be fine but it's not.

So if I got the stuttering fixed I'd be happy with the 3D.

Players standing still with the ball is kind of normal in real life, there's generally a bit of decision time. Just because you have to keep moving in games like PES doesn't make it realistic. In any case the only players I've seen standing still for more than a second or so is the keeper when he's about to punt it up the pitch, or a defender in the middle of nowhere who is just slowing the game down for a second.

I don't see anything wrong with the movement around the pitch, it is quite a lot like real football.

The graphics are at an early stage and I'm not too bothered about them if the players play realistically. I've found a couple of minor glitches, but apart from that I'm quite happy with the 3D. The interface of the TV mode does bother me a bit though.

I wasn't expecting too much anyway as it is the 1st 3D match view they've done. So I actually don't mind the graphics and stuff, sure there are a few anomalies but overall it's acceptable.

However my problem is the stuttering. I have upgraded the video card drivers, updated directx, changed the settings to low - ingame and on my video card settings. All of the video card settings are now set to the performance side and not quality. I turned off whatever background stuff that I needed to turn off and done a defrag on HDs.

Really I have done all I can to improve it but it still stutters. All of the stuff mentioned made no difference, the only thing that made a slight difference was changing the resolution. It was massively jerky but after playing around with the resolutions it's probably watchable now but it still stutters, just not as much as before.

I can get Counter Strike Source, DODS and other games to run fine, without mucking around too much with the graphics options so you'd think a simple 3D match in FM would be fine but it's not.

So if I got the stuttering fixed I'd be happy with the 3D.

Have you trued running the 3D in the classic view rather than the TV view?

I think some people thought it was going to be like wathing fifa or pes. Its just a graphical representation of the match. There are some glitches with it but Its perfectly fine to work out whats happening. The new match engine seems much improved which is more important to me than how well animated the little guys are. I have already noticed an improvement from 08, fewer shots so i am not getting the games where i have 25 shots to 1 and lose 1-0. its only 3 shots each and lose 1-0 now ;)

At first I thought it looked awful, but now I'm quite liking it. I just think of the real game and try to imagine how it would look like in the 3D view. I think it's pretty accurate, but it's just missing some animations and fluidity. However I can easily put up with that. It's much easier to see where you're going wrong with 3D in my opinion.

The 3D engine is honestly quite mediocre, but this is coming from a gamer who plays 3D games like Crysis and COD4 as well as FIFA 09 so my expectations are naturally quite high. Considering the early 2000s look of the 3D I'm amazed how poorly it runs on slightly older hardware. It runs flawlessly on my 8800GTS which is pretty high end, but on my cousins PC with a Radeon X850XT it gets choppy, even on 'low' graphical details.

It's not that great really. Personally I don't have a problem with the graphics, I wasn't wanting anything fancy and I was happy from how it looked on the videos

But the animations are awkward. When a player gets tackled he lays on the floor like a pancake for a few seconds. Players warming up on the touchline skate across the grass. Sometimes players just stand still for several seconds. Goalkeepers don't dive properly. When a player "dribbles" past a defender it looks daft

The whole feel of the 3D just seems very unfinished

The 3D engine is honestly quite mediocre, but this is coming from a gamer who plays 3D games like Crysis and COD4 as well as FIFA 09 so my expectations are naturally quite high. Considering the early 2000s look of the 3D I'm amazed how poorly it runs on slightly older hardware. It runs flawlessly on my 8800GTS which is pretty high end, but on my cousins PC with a Radeon X850XT it gets choppy, even on 'low' graphical details.

That's my problem as well, it shouldn't need 'super computer' specs but it seems like it does. I have a 512Mb Nvidia GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS and while I have slowed the stuttering down it is still quite noticeable.

In all honesty I got to say I am a little disapointed to. The 3D while not terrible it is one step above that.

We all must admit that right? People argue that we shouldnt expect Fifa09 graphics etc but that doesnt

mean the lay man is to be content with the playdough like figures moving across the screen looking like

Mr Bean everytime they kick a ball right? I dont know how to describe it but the lack of the realism of

3D match engine might acutally have taken out alot of the intensity in watching the games. I am not

saying FM09 is crap because the 3D ME isnt Fifa09 but why cant it be? I am sure the graphics and

animations could be a lot lot lot better. Then again this isnt a final game and we will definately see

improvments in FM10, 11, 12 etc and we will all be very excitied when it comes out. Who is acutally

happy and impressed by the 3D? And please explain to me how?

That's my problem as well, it shouldn't need 'super computer' specs but it seems like it does. I have a 512Mb Nvidia GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS and while I have slowed the stuttering down it is still quite noticeable.

Well, SI is probably listening to the well thought out, constructive criticism and will probably be addressing things like that in the release patch. Or maybe even the patch after.

In all honesty I got to say I am a little disapointed to. The 3D while not terrible it is one step above that.

We all must admit that right? People argue that we shouldnt expect Fifa09 graphics etc but that doesnt

mean the lay man is to be content with the playdough like figures moving across the screen looking like

Mr Bean everytime they kick a ball right? I dont know how to describe it but the lack of the realism of

3D match engine might acutally have taken out alot of the intensity in watching the games. I am not

saying FM09 is crap because the 3D ME isnt Fifa09 but why cant it be? I am sure the graphics and

animations could be a lot lot lot better. Then again this isnt a final game and we will definately see

improvments in FM10, 11, 12 etc and we will all be very excitied when it comes out. Who is acutally

more impressive than a 2d circle with feet scooting around

I like it, however it had to grow on me, also personally I have to have it on the elevated view, now I enjoy it and also recongnize this is a transition into the 3d match engine so subsequent versions will be improved in the 3d match engine department.

I like it. It's cool, and better than looking circles!. Besides, there's always the 2D option in case you can't bear 3D.

Are you guys expecting FIFA graphics?? That's just senseless, this is a MANAGER game!.

Okay... Sometimes when I play and its a big big game, I am up 1-nil at home and all the opposition need to do

is draw to move onto the next stage. Now in 2D over the last couple of years when the highlight pops up and

you see the opposition with the ball... Your heart stops, then it starts to thump harder and harder as they beat

one, then two players, get to the byline on the far right and swing in a cross.... That 1.3 seconds it takes for

the ball to get from the winger to the target man waiting the cross in the box takes an eternity and only when

the ball is plucked from the air by your goalie and cleared as the ref calls an end to the game do you get up and

change your undies because you have just s**t your self. Look we all know it is a manager game and realism

to detail etc is very important but watching the game can increase the overall greatness of a manager game.

This 3D is in all honesty pretty crap, I will not repaet what many whingers have already enlightened for us but

yeah it will definately get better. But this version is pretty crap and I will probably stick with 2D but nevertheless

the game is great overall!!!

I have been very critical of SI since fm08 but this time I must say that the 3D is good for me.

I never expected 3D in the sense of 3D in fifa09 (which is the same as Fifa manager 09), to me SI's 3D is a good step forward from the cm08 "3D", which makes me more than happy.

Considering the previous fms have been essentially text-based (or circle or dot based), I think SI has done a good job this year for the first 3D engine.

I play football manager mainly for the management and tactical side, therefore I do not care about the level of details in the graphics. I mainly focus on the movement of the ball and the general behaviour of the formation, as well as whether players/team follow my tactics/instructions; and I am sure that a lot of old fm gamers here share the same focus.

The Fifa manager graphics are OK but the ME itself is bloody awful. It's absolutely ridiculous. There are still problems with it that were there nearly ten years ago when it was FAPLM.

It's funny, cause I have a mid-spec computer with crappy graphics and it is absolutely fine for me.

I think they could have done a much better job with the 3d. I wasn't expecting anything great either, but this is 10 year old technology here.

I really believe that this was included this year as a hype factor, since the rest of the game has very little changed.

They will improve the 3D in the coming years I'm sure, but this year it was clearly rushed

I was able to play like an hour or so, and I liked the 3D matches. However, it is understandable people will expect far better results while other game developers coming up with state of the art game engines and AI (Crysis, FarCry2, Red Faction Guerilla etc.)

For me, FM09 is not worth the money. It is more like a new big patch for FM08. "Improved" transfers etc. are more like a fix to the known problems of FM08.

IMHO, they should release this as an 3D mach engine expansion for FM08 along with the known fixes, and put a cheaper price tag.

Just my 2 yens :)

I've found that playing the game at a lower resolution or windowed mode helps, basically anything to lessen the videocard workload. Still, one can't get away from how unoptimised the game engine feels, for such basic 3D it does need a heck of a videocard to run smoothly. As a point of comparison FIFA 09 runs flawlessly on the Radeon X850XT and it looks 10x better.

Then again this is SI's first attempt at 3D so I'll cut them some slack, but I'm expecting a big improvement in FM2010, and at least some optimisations in the next patch so that it runs reasonably on lesser graphics cards.

The 3D engine is excellent so far, no more watching boing 2D, the Elevated view is the best and far exceeds the 2D view, my laptop runs the 3D engine very smoothly considering my graphics card is integrated.

The big surprise is that all the goals scored in 3D look all different which is good, the goals that are scored all differ from long shots, chips, close shots, tap ins, one on ones, freekicks to headers and neither one of them look exactly the same. Not is only the Elevated view the best to look at...its also a much better tactical tool than the 2D because I can see every player on the pitch and its more better on the eye to look at than a birdseye view.

For a 1st time 3D engine its pretty impressive, running the game in a little bit of a lower resolution of 1024 x 768 really improves performance, the animations are decent...you can see the goalkeeper diving, tackles being made, players going past other players etc...pretty nice stuff by SI.

One minor thing that I will say that is annoying is players do keep the ball at their feet and stand almost still for longer than needed...but who cares?...apart from that its excellent work from SI again!

A couple of bugs which are very minor will be ironed out but not anything concerning. One final note about the 3D match engine...i've been reading about the negatives about the 3D engine and how its not as refined as it should be...the 2D can't get any more refined than it is, for the 3D...it will get more and more refined in future releases. But the good thing is the 3D shows what the 2D does not and nothing else matters.

I agree, also if it was like Fifa Manager, I, and many others wouldn't be able to play it due to the huge specifications.

I played FIFA Manager 09 the other day... and while the graphics are of course better... if you watched one 3D match, you have pretty much seen them all...it stinks. I'll take SI's 3D match engine any day of the week.

I've found that playing the game at a lower resolution or windowed mode helps, basically anything to lessen the videocard workload. Still, one can't get away from how unoptimised the game engine feels, for such basic 3D it does need a heck of a videocard to run smoothly. As a point of comparison FIFA 09 runs flawlessly on the Radeon X850XT and it looks 10x better.

Then again this is SI's first attempt at 3D so I'll cut them some slack, but I'm expecting a big improvement in FM2010, and at least some optimisations in the next patch so that it runs reasonably on lesser graphics cards.

Well it looks like I've fixed it.:cool: By doing just the opposite.:confused:

I've been reading on here about lowering the resolution and trying windowed mode, so that's what I had been doing and nothing worked. So I decided to try the higher resolutions and it was a lot smoother. Then tried windowed mode again and it killed it, it would stutter every time I tried windowed mode, so I won't be playing in windowed mode at all. Fullscreen with one of the higher resolutions worked best.

Computers eh? :confused:

My pc is on drugs or something.

Ok, so now I like 3D.:D

you may "seriouslythink" that... but you'd be wrong - either you're vastly exaggerating on purpose, or you never played sensi on the snes.

It's not supposed to compete with FIFA or PES - it's simply the next step up from the 2D - merely a representation of what's going on on the pitch. Don't get me wrong, it has its problems, but your criticism is completely overblown.

I don't think it's all that great, but then I didn't expect that it would be. It turned out pretty much exactly the way I thought it would be, considering the information we had received so far (with emphasis on the system requirements for this FM).

On the other hand, when I look at the 3D match representation I can see SI improving this lots in upcoming versions, without ever even touching the graphics themselves. I believe it has a lot of potential.

Only thing that bothers me at the moment is the sound. It's just a bit too bland for my taste. I'm gonna try playing a bit with the sound turned off (as I always did with 2D), see if that works for me, else I'll just move back to 2D for now.

Archived