Does anyone actually like the 3D?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still it is not normal.

1. in FM09 I played match 4x faster than realtime, and still players held the ball like 5 to 10 seconds, means 20 to 40 seconds in realtime. In a real match if you hold the ball 20-30 seconds and do nothing, you will likely shown a yellow card.

2. While players holding the ball, opponents will not try to steal the ball or anything. Everyone just waits for the player to kick the ball.

Seems like a problem to me.

Why would you be shown a yellow card for having the ball at your feet and doing nothing with it? Surely it is the opponents perogative to get the ball off the defender, so therefore it is not the defenders fault if the opponent cant be bothered to try and do this.

I have played a few matches on the demo and have not seen anything close to 5 to 10 seconds holding onto the ball, but the problem with these forums is that situations seem to become highly exaggerated between time of incident, and time of posting.

Why would you be shown a yellow card for having the ball at your feet and doing nothing with it? Surely it is the opponents perogative to get the ball off the defender, so therefore it is not the defenders fault if the opponent cant be bothered to try and do this.

I have played a few matches on the demo and have not seen anything close to 5 to 10 seconds holding onto the ball, but the problem with these forums is that situations seem to become highly exaggerated between time of incident, and time of posting.

I only played 7-8 matches with the demo, and each of them "holding the ball" thing seemed very long and unnatural. Some other people here seems had same thing. But, everyone's experience is different i guess.

I only played 7-8 matches with the demo, and each of them "holding the ball" thing seemed very long and unnatural. Some other people here seems had same thing. But, everyone's experience is different i guess.

I think the problem here is people are used to games like PES where everything is played at a blisteringly fast pace.

If you tried to play football at that sort of pace IRL all the players would be cream crackered by half-time. Real football is a lot slower-paced than people think.

I haven't seen anything over 1-2 seconds in terms of holding the ball other than keepers, in any case. 1-2 seconds is perfectly realistic - players need to stop and look up before they play killer balls (this could be better animated though, it would be nice to see the player touching it a step in front of him and raising his head).

The whole reason players do this are to try to invite the opposition to close them down, therefore pulling an opposition player out of position and helping to find gaps.

I do it myself and i only play 6 aside.

Which FM's players actually do, by the way. I'd still haphazard the guess that the reason this may look weird IN THE GAME to some is of pretty fascinating nature. As it's all in our heads. Sure, expectations of what a virtual 3D football match must look like may have been spoiled after years of FIFA and PES. But there's another thing. Bear with me, I'll keep this short. I've hinted at this before in this very thread already.

Players now clearly resemble football players, more so than the dots, and the gap between football reality and how it's being represented in the game, rather basic animations and everything, are paving the way to Uncanny Valley, Stockport, England all bloody over. In fact, while the 3D part adds another dimension to the pitch, it's in most ways just as much of an abstraction of the real thing as the 2d presentation, or to a lesser extent the text commentary, for that matter - and until you've come to grips with that you're likely going to have the feeling that there's "something just not quite as right as before". More on that topic and the impact on games here. And here.

By the way: the impression of everything coming to a screeching halt is also exaggerated by the fact that the camera moves with the ball. No ball movement, no motion.

STOP MOANING! It's a good and fun addition! They haven't taking away your option for using the 2D view so how can people complain! It can only get better in terms of graphics, in a few years I reckon it will look great.

Oh yeah, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm fine with that kind of thing, and I know it's done deliberately. What I'm talking about is during regular play, every few seconds it may skip a quarter of a second of animation or so.

Didn't that also happen in 08 before? At least occasionally? I agree though, in general it's not yet quite as fluid as it used to be, whether you view a match in 3d or 2d.

Another couple of issues that reared their head are the following: I'm playing in 1024x768 resolution, full-screen mode, and like to clickediclick my players a lot. As with the 2d view, this brings up their name. But something is messed up with the in-game advertising that brings you to FM's website if you click on the banners, at least in that resolution. You're taken randomly out of the game and to this site, it doesn't matter where you click - could be somewhere in the centre circle, your right back, anything. Probably said this somewhere else already. I think it's a poor design decision to implement this into the live-match anyway, as you're bound to do a lot on that screen, whether it be arranging widgets or else. Taken out of the game accidentally is no fun.

And here's another: Go start your game now. Pick Man City. And start playing. I can assure you it will not take long before you can't make heads and tails of the 3d view anymore. What I'm hinting at is kit likeness: while light blue might be the dominant color of City's kits, you'll notice that once you're facing an opposition with equally bright kits of sorts (anything sporting the colors white plus whatever, quite a common combination if you ask me), you're out in the cold. I had this happening in the first two matches of the season already, and I'm sure there'd be far more to come.

am not reading through 2 pages of posts, but to answer the first one: yes, I actually do like it, even so I don't like that it will make me watch much more of the games now and as a result I will end up needing much longer to play a season ;) for the first time ever I am actually tempted to watch a whole game!

Its great! Was really surprised of how much I liked it after reading all the stupid complains in this tread.

If you think its crap, you have misunderstood the meaning of this game, and should stick to playstation and lego. (or simply turn it off)

I'm acutally quite happy that people are enjoying the 3D... I'm probably being very critical on the game and as time goes by I'll probably

enjoy it heavily to!!! Sorry to groan and moan SI, I dont think its all that bad, just as I have said 1000x before I think my expectations

were set to high and unrealistic... I'll definately buy the game and enjoy myself to the fullest!!!

Also, my problem really is the game is basically the exact same game i've been playing for years

Personally that the beauty of it. Its a running sequence. I dont want to play a completly different game every year. I want one with a few updates that improve it but its about the player updates just as much. Its not about developing a complete new game every year.

I'm not expecting next-gen quality obviously, but seriously this is unwatchable... I'm just having my first game now and I could probably list 100 errors with it already. It looks so tacky and pathetic.

SI seriously must be having a laugh if they expect people to pay for this

SO back to fm07 again it seems.. no wonder they only put the video demo on Yuotube so in the low quality video nobody could see how **** it is

Does anybody actually like it?

Did you try EA's football management product? It has a huge graphics, very detailed and softly animated. Only disadvantage is that the players are playing football like an U8 youth squad... but hey, it has great graphics :D

• 3 weeks later...

the 3d is great, maybe not fifa or pes, but so what? if it was we would have to wait for ages for the game to load, it takes a little time as it is but enough. i think i like more watching it like this and having leaving something for the imagination. thats what FM is about too, its not the real thing, but as close to it as you can get. and it will get better with time and with better computers

my only annoyance with it is sometimes when one of my players passes to his team mate, the ball just hits him on the ass and ricochets off him to the opposing team, giving them the chance to counter...

oh yeah, the other thing is their complete misunderstanding of what a decent counter attacking 1-2 pass should be like... for example my striker will pass the ball to the winger who then breaks and runs up the field. My striker will then proceed to jog lightly into the box, taking his time, taking in the scenery perhaps, instead of sprinting there to provide the finishing touch to the maneuver.. by which time there will be 5 opposing players in the box and my winger completely outnumbered with nowhere to go.

Otherwise its great.

Must admint i was sceptical, but after my first full season i love it! It gives me much more tactical information, are they working, are they not, how are the oppo getting through me! And as such, never previously being one to "tweak" tactics in-game, i find myself tinkering because i can blatantly see whats going on. I was never expecting FIFA 09 or PES style next-gen graphics, and perhaps it helps that i was lucky and never had any problems installing/activating or technical issues! Cant wait to see what improvements there will be in the next few editions.

I think its pretty good for their 1st attempt...the only thing I have noticed about my team...they love to have allot of long shots. Even though I do not have them on "Long Shots" wouldn’t mind if they we decent shots...oh well at least some of the fans go home happy with the match balls even when I lose :D

Archived