FM09 is just around the corner - What's your biggest hope for it?

What is your biggest hope for FM09?  

611 members have voted

1. 1. What is your biggest hope for FM09?

• Less focus on realism, more on fun
    • Overhaul of board confidence
    • Overhaul of transfer market
    • Some new leagues added
    • Further improvements to international management
    • Changes to the match engine
    • No changes whatsoever
    • A less challenging game
    • Football Chairman option (!!)
    • Something else

I hope opening a new thread on this is inside forum rules. Basically, I was just wondering what everyone's one biggest hope is for FM09. I know there's a suggestion thread, but I'm not asking for or about suggestions. I specifically want to know what people's main hope is for the new game.

Mine would have to be an overhaul of board confidence. I can (just about) live with the media being repetitive and the transfer market a bit odd. But I am getting a bit fed up of the idiosyncracies and eccentricities of board confidence. One example would be my board being disappointed in our performance in the Community Shield. Seeing as we won it, I don't know what more these people want!

So that's it really. What are you hoping for, above all else, when it comes to FM09?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love that if you won a cup like FA Cup that you could see them walk in the stand and hold up a mini gold cup with fireworks and so on coming out and then a bar comes on the screen saying 'FA Cup Champions 2008, team name'

Also the option to add stands in on preferences so if you had a wider monitor you could access it.

I'd love that if you won a cup like FA Cup that you could see them walk in the stand and hold up a mini gold cup with fireworks and so on coming out and then a bar comes on the screen saying 'FA Cup Champions 2008, team name'

Also the option to add stands in on preferences so if you had a wider monitor you could access it.

Just a pointer. That is very unlikely for FM09 and therefore seems a bit off-topic. I'm specifically curious about your biggest hope for the new game.

My main gripe with FM the way that it is at the moment is the transfer market, too often for my liking do you have to pay over the odds for players and too often do the AI managers not pay what is reasonable for my players,

IMO, a big overhaul of this is needed to make it more realistic in terms of negotiation and the like

Yeh i have to agree, the confidence system really does begin to get on your nerves. For me tho, i don't think i can cope with the repetitiveness of the media anymore, so heres for hoping there's been some big changes in this department.

Sounds like something LMA manager would do. i Think more Board Room options would be good though, ones that more reflected real life e.g. the option to actually suggest fan days would be good, more control over affiliates etc

Just to reiterate, please don't turn this into a wishlist. Keep the topic in mind, please. I just don't want another thread closed. :(

*whistles* :D

But ye, i think less availabilty to some stats, so they you really have to work to get a quality newgen/regen. And NO FMM or GENIE SCOUT.

And NO FMM or GENIE SCOUT

i doubt that'll happen and i too am sorry Mike about that last thread, it was quality

Umm i have no gripes really, i generally buy lesser known players and sell em off for value when theyre about 30 so the transfer market doesn't affect me too much...

I do like your suggetion (in the poll) about the internation management getting an upgrade, they should be treated as a club also

ok if i was to go into depth, As i am managing both a club and a country

all the players i scout and look at and try to interact with is done by me as a club manager,

I have no training option for my nation whilst i am in charge of them so no set piece practice etc

I have to go on form and not stats and form doesn't mean a thing if all you've been playing against are lesser quality nations in friendlies

and nobody want's to join my staff at Ivory Coast so sad, i don't even have a physio

ok if i was to go into depth, As i am managing both a club and a country

all the players i scout and look at and try to interact with is done by me as a club manager,

I have no training option for my nation whilst i am in charge of them so no set piece practice etc

I have to go on form and not stats and form doesn't mean a thing if all you've been playing against are lesser quality nations in friendlies

and nobody want's to join my staff at Ivory Coast so sad, i don't even have a physio

Some good points there. I think training, manager/player interaction and scouting will hopefully improved not only as a country but also as a club manager.

How could you expand on International further though?

i want the chairman option ect you could do a quiz at the start of the game to decide how rich you are ect i would love this option please add it in.plus seeing your team lift a cup would be great as well.

A quiz? i don't understand that idea..and chairman option has been discussed alot, and has been critisized imensly. I reckon it would be a decent idea but would be hard to implement it into the game without basically staring from the top. So i think you would need to have a completely seperate game :)

A quiz? i don't understand that idea..and chairman option has been discussed alot, and has been critisized imensly. I reckon it would be a decent idea but would be hard to implement it into the game without basically staring from the top. So i think you would need to have a completely seperate game :)

Not to mention it's an insane hope for the new game! Which is the point of the thread.

But yeah, my fault for putting it in the poll.

I want to do something with the money the board is paying me..For example bet on some matches etc so FM life will become much more interesting..Otherwise there is no point the board paying us and in my case i have a 0€ contract...Less expenditure ;) Why should I need the money?

Also the best of all will be "fixing" games like in real life under the table with consequenses if they find you out..(Bans, relegetions, fines, etc)

Furthermore I want to be able to pay some neutral teams(as it happens in Spain which it TOTALLY legal) when they play with a big opponent of mine to try and cut some points from them...

When we at the end of a season I want to see some teams playing with reserves when they have already been relegated or are at the bottom of the table or middle with not any targets left...

I want more games postponed due to weather, delays etc..

Interactive instructions from bench(When you see the team is attacking shout to play the ball wide or through middle when you see a gap at the the opponent's defense etc)

I want to play in different stadiums when my pitch is in bad condition or my stadium is under construction etc.

Agree totally with most of it, not sure about fixing games but definatley something should be done so that the money we earn can be put ot use. Ye i agree with everything except the fixing :). I also think going into debt should be improved and the process should be quicker between the time you go into debt, recievership and then point deductions, fines etc etc

I want to do something with the money the board is paying me..For example bet on some matches etc so FM life will become much more interesting..Otherwise there is no point the board paying us and in my case i have a 0€ contract...Less expenditure ;) Why should I need the money?

Also the best of all will be "fixing" games like in real life under the table with consequenses if they find you out..(Bans, relegetions, fines, etc)

Furthermore I want to be able to pay some neutral teams(as it happens in Spain which it TOTALLY legal) when they play with a big opponent of mine to try and cut some points from them...

When we at the end of a season I want to see some teams playing with reserves when they have already been relegated or are at the bottom of the table or middle with not any targets left...

I want more games postponed due to weather, delays etc..

Interactive instructions from bench(When you see the team is attacking shout to play the ball wide or through middle when you see a gap at the the opponent's defense etc)

I want to play in different stadiums when my pitch is in bad condition or my stadium is under construction etc.

Your ideas of FM are breaching the rules of football! Although your ideas of interactive instructions from the bench are good.

I dont think there would be enough time during the game for the use of instructions from the bench. By the time you have chosen your instruction the attack/defending/break may be over. This could interfere with the next action if you choose an instruction for once scenario which is then accidently used for another. This again reminds me of LMA Manager days when i used to use the instructions as a "keep me occupied" game whilst watching the game play.

I'd suggest that the first option is a false dichotomy. More Realism doesn't necessarily mean Less Fun. I'd like more of each please!

Main thing? Tactics and Performance analysis so that players can really feel like they understand where they are going wrong, or right.

Second thing: Lots more game options: How much media? Difficulty settings? Financial Control (Chairman to effectively you are Chairman), Fantasy Leagues and DBs, player interaction (amounts). Let us choose how much of this good stuff we want.

Third Thing: SI, take a risk and really overhaul everything for FM2010! Graphics to engine to modus operandi. DO it. Do it now.

Agree totally with most of it, not sure about fixing games but definatley something should be done so that the money we earn can be put ot use. Ye i agree with everything except the fixing :). I also think going into debt should be improved and the process should be quicker between the time you go into debt, recievership and then point deductions, fines etc etc

Nice that you added the quicker recievership point deductions etc because in previous games that was rarely happened..Those little things will make the game more realistic!

Well if all of those can be implemented I can live without any "fixing"..You can leave this outside SI :D

if SI can pull it off then yes i agree, but as Smac said "SI, take a risk", it would be a big risk and if it doesn't pay off then FM could be in trouble because the makers attempted more than they could handle. I think for a game where you DONT control the players actions "in all respects" 3D match engine" would spoil the game. 2D is fine.

Guys, I hate to sound like some kind of forum policeman, telling you what you can and can't say. It's just that we're all getting into the area of discussing the pros and cons of various features which we know won't be in FM09, which is, after all, more than likely finished in terms of features.

By all means debate the merits of what you hope will have been implemented and why you think some things are more to be hoped for than others. I'm just trying to manage the debate in the appropriate direction. Please don't mistake my tone for anything other than friendly!

I've seen FIFA Manager's match engine, and to be brutally honest, I think the Football Manager match engine should be upgraded to that. However, you could do with fixing the gameplay a bit (it is a wee bit hard to score in Fifa Manager) and do away with all the extra features(Golfing? Having a family? Pff.)

Fifa Managers of old had very poor gameplay compared to Fifa itself and it all look too unrealistic. If you do that sort of match engine you must get player graphics perfect for it to look efective. Hopefully this wont be in FM09 but i do feel that expanding on FM's current match engine is neccasary but not making it 3D, just making it more true to life with more factors that are experience in watching/playing real football e.g. diving, referee contact, more creativity etc..that will hopefully be in FM09

I would like to overhaul the transfer market to be honest. IRL a manager gives his targets to the board and they then decide how much they are willing to allow you to spend on that player. For example, if I am managing a rich and successful team like R. Madrid and I hand in a shortlist of, let's say, Vidal, Piatti and F. Torres as well as reasons about why I want to sign that player eg. Vidal(star of the future), Piatti(star of the future), Torres(to excite the fans with his signing) and the board will reply and tell me that I can have 8mill to spend on Vidal, 4mill to spend on Piatti and an 60mill on Torres. Get what I'm saying? Who else would like this new feature?

First an overhaul of the media interaction

Second, the current graphics and skins are from jurassic park and obvious under budget restrictions of a release. I don’t want a 3d match engine, just a look and feel of managing a football club.

Finally a overhaul of training. On individual bases setting of training types and (graphical) tracking of progress including the effects of trainers and facilities.

Archived