I have been scuppered by a team meeting

I held a team meeting after advice from my ass manager suggested a gee-up would help us cement a promotion charge. So I told them I was pleased with their performance but they were capable of a little more. To me that is a compliment - saying I believe they are good enough for promotion. The players didn't saying I wasn't realistic and the morale went from very good to abysmal in one click resulting in a six game winless streak.

Is this really realistic?

Team meetings are absolutely horrendous, and even worse than the dull and repetitive press conferences imo. Tried them a couple of times and the reactions were ridiculous, like yours.

Apparently they're supposed to take into account the season overall, so telling them they're capable of more translates to "We should be several places higher in the league, and we're not because you're all rubbish". I'm reasonably sure that if somebody said to me that I wasn't performing as well as I could do recently, I would take that to means in the last few games, not in the last 9 months.

Tried a team meeting, half the squad's morale went from good to abysmal. Never again.

Morale makes zero sense to me in this game. I can have someone who started a match with good morale score two goals and have an average rating of 8 and yet their morale has dropped to poor. Likewise I can have a player suddenly just have abysmal morale out of nowhere. No injuries, no conversations, no failure to make their national squad.. no information from the game whatsoever to explain the sudden drop.

I think it is a case of the three options I had was:

One is bad for morale, one is neutral and one is good.

It seems strange we have what is essentially a guessing game in an area of management which would be cemented for good or bad from daily interactions.

Just because you're getting them wrong doesn't mean its broken.

It's quite clearly a long way from being right just because of the reactions players have to the things they say to each other.

For example (details fictional, but roughly based on the last Team Meeting I had):

Chelsea manager: We're doing well but we're capable of doing better. (3 players react well, 4 react badly)

John Terry: The gaffer's right, we're capable of winning the league (1 player reacts well, 5 react badly)

Frank Lampard: John is being totally unrealistic (2 players react well, 7 react badly)

Didier Drogba: I couldn't disagree with Frank more (1 player reacts well, 12 react badly)

Then Chelsea manager has the choice of "that's exactly the reaction I wanted" or "I guess I misjudged the situation". How do either of those fit? Why does Frank Lampard think Chelsea can't win the title? Why does John Terry saying that Chelsea can cause people to react badly? Why does Drogba disagreeing with Lampard cause the whole squad to sink into misery?

It's quite clearly a long way from being right just because of the reactions players have to the things they say to each other.

For example (details fictional, but roughly based on the last Team Meeting I had):

Chelsea manager: We're doing well but we're capable of doing better. (3 players react well, 4 react badly)

John Terry: The gaffer's right, we're capable of winning the league (1 player reacts well, 5 react badly)

Frank Lampard: John is being totally unrealistic (2 players react well, 7 react badly)

Didier Drogba: I couldn't disagree with Frank more (1 player reacts well, 12 react badly)

Then Chelsea manager has the choice of "that's exactly the reaction I wanted" or "I guess I misjudged the situation". How do either of those fit? Why does Frank Lampard think Chelsea can't win the title? Why does John Terry saying that Chelsea can cause people to react badly? Why does Drogba disagreeing with Lampard cause the whole squad to sink into misery?

I had almost the same sort of thing the other day, gave myself a headache trying to figure out what the hell they were all angry at :(

Never going to bother with trying one of these again.

Team meetings work pretty well for stopping losing runs, but then it just feels like a magic bullet to overcome the death-spiral effect of poor morale. I have never tried one on a side that was doing well and going by the horror stories on here I don't think I will.

Given what's going on at Chelsea at the moment, that sounds like a fly on the wall observation of their interactions.

Player match ratings are pointless as well

My centre back gave away two penalties , was awful at tackling and was on a 4.5 rating .We get a corner which he manages to score from and sudenly his match rating jumps to 8.0 . despite the fact we are 5-1 down. I would have already subbed him if it wasn't for the fact i had used my subs due to injuries

Also top of the league . we lose 2 games in a row , still top and suddenly most of my team have dropped from superb to abysmal

Use the 'information' screen to check your squad's personality - if they're not necessarily an ambitious bunch, then telling them they can seal promotion if they keep up their form might get them down because they think you're getting ahead of yourself and putting pressure on them to perform. Also, unless you were media favourites to win promotion at the start of the campaign, your squad will think they are already overachieving and not really back themselves to go all the way in a promotion push.

When your team has not won a game in a while, team meetings are a great tool to help haul up morale. I just try to make sure I avoid setting specific goals, such as "we'll get promotion" etc., and just focus on performance - "we need to pick up our ideas", etc. etc. And if you look at real life, that's what a lot of managers will do to decrease pressure on their squads - remind them about performance levels being important, not constantly wave an objective/target in front of their face.

Morale is funny in FM.

So a guy has fairly poor morale and has been playing slightly under par. The best thing to do to boost his morale? Tell him that he's been playing rubbish and that he's crap in training. 99% of the time in FM this will lead him to getting back to good morale. I can't see myself how telling a player he is playing rubbish, which is probably why he has low morale, would ever lead his morale to rise.

Also, there shouldn't just be "You're were bad" or "You were good". I know they added things like passing and finishing but they still just have the two options, bad or good. There should be some middle ground, they seem to have got this into team talks (which still aren't great but better than they used to be) but not private chats.

Although obviously I don't want to suddenly age and I still want to enjoy my youth, I think it will be amazing how many improvements there are when we get to say FM2030.

Kind of reminds me of Bethesda with their Elder Scrolls games, they keep getting one step closer to the perfect open world single player RPG. Skyrim is awesome but again, just makes me hope that they are still making Elder Scrolls games in 10-20 years.

it is like that in team talks.

hey you are winning at half time but playing terrible (recomeneded tell players how good they are playing) all players then promptly carry on playing rubbish lol and lose, moral dies so i wouldn't worry about meetings either

Did FM11 have team meetings? I remember them being awful the first few times I used them. On my current save I've used the option 3 or 4 times and had positive reactions. As has been mentioned I think results have a lot to do with squad personalities, I remember Andy Carroll always was one who reacted badly and he has low professionalism.

Archived