Worldwide Soccer Manager 2011/US Release

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is any news on WWSM 2011? Amazon apparently stopped carrying it and I don't know where else to get it here in the US. I did look under Football Manager 2011 and Amazon says they are not carrying it either. Does anyone have any suggestions? I apologize if this has been answered, I searched but could not find an adequate response. Thanks.

Cool. Thanks for the responses.

How does Steam work? I know you download the game and play it and such, but do you have to be online to play? I'm really big on having an actual copy of the game so I would like to avoid downloading it, but if Steam is the only option then I guess I'll have to go with that...

Cool. Thanks for the responses.

How does Steam work? I know you download the game and play it and such, but do you have to be online to play? I'm really big on having an actual copy of the game so I would like to avoid downloading it, but if Steam is the only option then I guess I'll have to go with that...

You don't need an internet connection to play. Also patches are downloaded automatically with Steam.

Amazon.com may sell it but right now they are only selling an import which is $50 versus $40 with Steam. I got Football Manager 10 from Amazon last year, non import, but I don't know if they'll be doing it this year.

You don't need an internet connection to play. Also patches are downloaded automatically with Steam.

Amazon.com may sell it but right now they are only selling an import which is $50 versus $40 with Steam. I got Football Manager 10 from Amazon last year, non import, but I don't know if they'll be doing it this year.

If I'm not mistaken, for FM10 you still had to connect to Steam (and thus, the internet) in order to play. That said, I haven't had a problem with Steam since I joined...aside from getting caught up when they offer sales on games I've been curious about!

If I'm not mistaken, for FM10 you still had to connect to Steam (and thus, the internet) in order to play. That said, I haven't had a problem with Steam since I joined...aside from getting caught up when they offer sales on games I've been curious about!

You are incorrect. You can turn steam into offline mode and play FM without being connected to the internet

I also purchased FM2010 from Amazon (US release), will FM2011 be available in the US market in physical form as well?

I'm not a gamer (other than FM) and I would rather not go the Steam route just for FM. Back in the CM days, I purchased the games from a UK shop so I suppose that's still an option (although expensive).

I'm with the dude from Sacramento. I'm not a big gamer and I don't want to go the Steam route, especially considering the amount of issues people have had in the past with it.

If anyone from SI reads this, do you know if Amazon plans to carry the game? If not, do you know of any US distributors that will? Any information would be appreciated.

So - I've asked for a full update on this, but we're not 100% sure Amazon will support the title this year. We don't have a confirmed order yet. They've been the exclusive boxed partner for the game in America for the last few years so we're hoping that they'll continue to support, but no news yet.

As it stands, Steam or Import are the only guaranteed ways to order for the USA. Sorry - not at all good, for us or for you.

That's disappointing to hear, but I guess we'll just have to deal with what we have.

I'm not surprised that stores don't feel it's worth carrying. Soccer fans/gamers intense enough to be interested in this game cannot be too common here. But Amazon dropping it entirely? After already carrying it the last few years? A shame.

Are we for sure that the game can be played offline if purchased via Steam? I might be willing to take a chance on Steam if so. I simply cannot play a game online only with my connection.

So - I've asked for a full update on this, but we're not 100% sure Amazon will support the title this year. We don't have a confirmed order yet. They've been the exclusive boxed partner for the game in America for the last few years so we're hoping that they'll continue to support, but no news yet.

As it stands, Steam or Import are the only guaranteed ways to order for the USA. Sorry - not at all good, for us or for you.

Matt,

Is there someone at Amazon we can contact to show our desire for them to carry the game? This is how I've always purchased it in the past. Is it possible that their distributors/purchasers are not aware that you will be calling the title "Football Manager" in all markets this year, and may be waiting for the option to purchase "Worldwide Soccer Manager"?

I'd be happy to send an e-mail and I'm sure several others would here as well.

That's disappointing to hear, but I guess we'll just have to deal with what we have.

I'm not surprised that stores don't feel it's worth carrying. Soccer fans/gamers intense enough to be interested in this game cannot be too common here. But Amazon dropping it entirely? After already carrying it the last few years? A shame.

Are we for sure that the game can be played offline if purchased via Steam? I might be willing to take a chance on Steam if so. I simply cannot play a game online only with my connection.

once you've purchased, downloaded the files and installed

create a desktop shortcut for fm11 and set steam to offline mode, you don't need it to connect to play fm (it's been like this for years despite myths about how bad steam is)

I don't think it would be a problem if it was still called WWSM but now that it is Football Manager world wide it wouldn't fly here IMO. A "soccer" game being called Football in an American Football dominated society.

You can absolutely play FM through Steam without an internet connection.

Thank you all for the info. I'm sad to hear Amazon has decided against carrying FM11 but I'll make sure to call and email them to see if they will change their minds.

Steam it will have to be. I just hope things go well...

JoshDaCane - no, they're familiar with the name of the game. I guess mailing their customer service department and asking their intentions couldn't hurt!

Matt, e-mail is sent. I couldn't find a perfect department to send it to based on their dropdowns "something else, other non-order questions, give Amazon feedback, opportunities for improvement." I have no idea if that is the correct place to send it. Here is what I said, for anyone else who cares to use it as a template.

"I am writing to register my disappointment in Amazon's decision not to carry a computer game, with the hope that Amazon may reconsider their decision ahead of the game's release. The game is Football Manager 2011 for the PC/Mac, published by SEGA and Sports Interactive. It is a popular PC title that has been released in the US under the title of "Worldwide Soccer Manager", and has been carried by the site in previous years - I have bought at least one edition of the game directly from Amazon. According to SI Games, they have not received an order yet for this year (the game is set to be released November 5), but had planned and hoped to continue their relationship with Amazon as the exclusive boxed retailer of the game in the United States.

I know that I, and many others, who prefer to have physical (non-downloaded) copies of the game had intended to purchase through Amazon, and I hope that you will give us that opportunity with this year's title.

Please ensure that this feedback makes it to the right department. Thank you for your time and consideration with this matter.

Josh

Loyal Amazon.com Customer since 2003"

Doubt it does anything, but it was worth the five minutes.

Prefer them, but I'm willing to take a chance on Steam despite some of the reputation issues people have mentioned if Amazon doesn't end up selling it. I know people who haven't had issues with Steam, and it's not worth the 16 or so extra dollars it would cost to order it and get it shipped from overseas.

Besides, if I'm really smart, I'll give it a couple of weeks to sort itself out and won't purchase the game until after I finish my class for this semester...lest I don't finish my class for this semester because I'm too busy playing FM.

I went ahead and installed the Steam client as well (demo is currently downloading), so this should be a "no pain" trial to see if purchasing via Steam is an option for me. If the game has speed issues or Steam causes problems with other applications, I can always just order the game from one of the sites Matt listed (thanks Matt).

Will send my note to Amazon as well, though I must doubt anything will change.

I really prefer to have a physical copy because I cannot trust electronic storage long-term, but I don't know if I can justify the extra shipping. Ah well. At least we have options!

I can guarantee you that you can play the game offline. I've done so with the demo already.

Amazon bailed? That's lame.

Extra $40 for me this year.

EDIT: Wait, is this not FM 2011? http://www.amazon.com/Football-Manager-2011-SEGA7-Linux/dp/B00486F0GG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1287704650&sr=8-6

Good find! Glad they got a non import up but its released 2 days later. Oh well not a big deal as I'm not ordering it until after my final exams.

Amazon with free shipping is the same price as Steam ($40) , so it's a good deal for those wanting the DVD version. Importing from the UK would have added about $20 more. Amazon also mentions it runs on Linux, I'm assuming that's a mistake on their part.

Amazon with free shipping is the same price as Steam ($40) , so it's a good deal for those wanting the DVD version. Importing from the UK would have added about $20 more. Amazon also mentions it runs on Linux, I'm assuming that's a mistake on their part.

Personally, I'd rather prefer to have the boxed version than bothering with Steam. Just seems like less headaches that way.

I noticed that, too. You're probably right; just a typo. But, running FM native in Linux would be nice!

It works fine through CrossOver, though, so no real loss.

Good looking out, Stinson!

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1508 in video games-says it all, really.

The later release doesn't really bother me. What's a few more days? Am really tempted to put in an order right now . . .

It doesn't directly say, but I wonder if this is a preorder price. The game normally goes for at least 50 on Amazon, doesn't it? (edit-after a quick look, FM10 is currently selling for $63.94!)

Good looking out, Stinson!

It doesn't directly say, but I wonder if this is a preorder price. The game normally goes for at least 50 on Amazon, doesn't it? (edit-after a quick look, FM10 is currently selling for $63.94!)

I checked my Amazon receipt and FM2010 was $39.95, so the same price as FM2011.

And thanks to the folks who took the time to email Amazon, it's appreciated.

Oh, and I made sure to follow up with a thank-you note to Amazon and think it would be good for you to do the same, Josh.

I'm not sure I've ever had an extended exchange with Amazon Customer Service - can I reply to the initial e-mail they sent back? (note: I don't have access to that e-mail right now, which is why I can't just check for myself.)

I believe there are links to some kind of response, but I think they're surveys. I have never tried responding. I sent in a new note of thanks before I saw their response to my first message.

The price I quoted for FM10 was as of a few hours ago when I looked.

I'll probably just go with Steam. I got FM 10 from amazon last year and activiated it through Steam so I could play without the disc in. Never had any problems, plus I'm not buying it until after finals. I would love to get it on release but I can't tempt myself with it lol.

IMO the cool thing was that I had to restore my computer to factory settings (nothing Steam related). Anyways I re-downloaded Steam and FM 10 was already on my games list I just had to re-install it, didn't even have to put in the disc which I thought was pretty cool.

However, Amazon.com does get points in my book. I pre-ordered FM 10 last year and I got it the day of release! Never had that happen before.

Archived