whats the point of football manager?

hi,

i dont mean to sound rude or anything, i loved fm 2010 and i was really addicted to it for a good 9 months.

but im not too sure about what the point/aim of fm is. is it to create the best tactic? win everything?

i know fm 2010 is trying to simulate a football manager, but football managers are football managers because its their job. they get paid. sure, we get paid too in fm2010, but what do we do with it?

i know all games will tire, but i just dont see what the point is of fm (like cs, its to kill people etc). is 9 months enough? so what should i do with all the tactics i made, all the youth players i brought up, all the trophies i won, all my saved games (at least 20gb) etc.

thanks.

• SI Staff

It's up to you what you want to get out of it really. It's quite open ended so you can play the game the way you like.

- If you want to build teams from nothing up to a top team then you can do that

- If you want to manage your favourite team and do things your way and see if you can do better than your current manager then you can do that

- If you want to jump from club to club and dismantle and ruin them then you can do that

A lot of people play the game differently and there is no correct way to play really. Whatever you get enjoyment from.

There isnt any point, its entertainment.

The objectives of the game are open ended, for some people its taking a non league team to the top, for someone playing as chelsea or man utd its probally winning as many trophies as possible, some people value bringing a young team on and for others like rising through the ranks in a journeyman career.

The game gives you a world to play in, what you want to do in it is your own choice. Personally much prefer games like this as they tend to have a longer "shelf life".

To get really annoyed when Real Madrid beat you in the CL final with two goals in injury time beyond what was indicated by the ref.

Well isn't it?

lol a safe way of venting your anger would be a good answer to the original question

Seriously though, that is the best thing about this game, there is no ultimate 'win'. You can go on forever, with no set goal or 'things-to-do'. It is what you make it, you can set your own goals and try to achieve them. If you do, then raise the bar, move clubs, leagues, continants and just play YOUR game the way YOU want to.

It's a sandbox game.

In that way it's almost no different than Europa Universalis III.

Both basically give you a bunch of toys and say "have fun, do whatever."

Oh, and the Barcelona of EUIII is France. Too. Easy.

(England is Real Madrid)

(The Irish Minors are Torquay United)

The point is so you can play it everynight on the pc upstairs, get complained at by the missus as your not spending time with her. Then transfer your save game to the laptop and play while with her, so to spend time with her and still get whinged at. Cut your playing time down to maybe 4 nights a week, all is well, then the game time increases back to where it was.

Your on till 4am in morning after stating to the missus "just after this next game" then 10 games later climb the stairs into a bed, to find a very annoyed woman sprawled across the bed, impossible to join her, but do not attempt to wake her, or your situation will be ten times worse.

Then you get home from work to find out the FM2010 cd has been "misplaced". To be told "the bairn must have put it somewhere. Arguments flare, you only had 8 games to go and you need 3 points to win the league. Tempers flying, bad words are said. "but you love that game more than you love me" in reply without thinking "yes in fact I do love the game more than you"

The point of the game?

Divorce!

Hell yeah!

The point is so you can play it everynight on the pc upstairs, get complained at by the missus as your not spending time with her. Then transfer your save game to the laptop and play while with her, so to spend time with her and still get whinged at. Cut your playing time down to maybe 4 nights a week, all is well, then the game time increases back to where it was.

Your on till 4am in morning after stating to the missus "just after this next game" then 10 games later climb the stairs into a bed, to find a very annoyed woman sprawled across the bed, impossible to join her, but do not attempt to wake her, or your situation will be ten times worse.

Then you get home from work to find out the FM2010 cd has been "misplaced". To be told "the bairn must have put it somewhere. Arguments flare, you only had 8 games to go and you need 3 points to win the league. Tempers flying, bad words are said. "but you love that game more than you love me" in reply without thinking "yes in fact I do love the game more than you"

The point of the game?

Divorce!

Hell yeah!

Greatest. Post. Ever.

hi,

i dont mean to sound rude or anything, i loved fm 2010 and i was really addicted to it for a good 9 months.

but im not too sure about what the point/aim of fm is. is it to create the best tactic? win everything?

i know fm 2010 is trying to simulate a football manager, but football managers are football managers because its their job. they get paid. sure, we get paid too in fm2010, but what do we do with it?

i know all games will tire, but i just dont see what the point is of fm (like cs, its to kill people etc). is 9 months enough? so what should i do with all the tactics i made, all the youth players i brought up, all the trophies i won, all my saved games (at least 20gb) etc.

thanks.

hey aids ridden its a ame there no point of it its a game based on reallife football managment so play it fool.

omfg. yes i get it, it was a stupid question.

now go play your fm 2010.

It's okay. :D

It's just a video game which should be fun playing. If you look for any kind of deeper meaning then I'm afraid you are wasting your time with it. It would certainly be sad if your life was about FM more than anything else.

The point of the game?

Divorce!

Hell yeah!

This made me laugh out loud, and so true to me its weird :)

It's up to you what you want to get out of it really. It's quite open ended so you can play the game the way you like.

- If you want to build teams from nothing up to a top team then you can do that

- If you want to manage your favourite team and do things your way and see if you can do better than your current manager then you can do that

- If you want to jump from club to club and dismantle and ruin them then you can do that

A lot of people play the game differently and there is no correct way to play really. Whatever you get enjoyment from.

That is quite true, Ter!

Personally, I enjoy playing the game through "cheats" to test the game and to have a perfect managerial record that lasts through eternity! :D

That is how I enjoy the game! It gives me a sense of satisfaction! :thup:

hi,

thanks.

:eek: Existentialism? In my FM Forums?

Archived