Hardest choice in my career...

I keep telling myself this is a game and it shouldn't matter this much but I'm fooling myself aren't I?

I'm 6 years into my career at Newcastle United - the longest I've ever been at the club without getting sacked though to be fair, expectations have never been so low. This season I finally broke into the top 10 of the Premiership and against all odds won the FA Cup, qualifying for Europe! My manager status is Untouchable and I'm rightly quite pleased with myself. Of course Arsenal came along and ruined my easy life offering me the vacant managers job. They finished 2nd behind Man City who won the title for the 4th year in a row.

Newcastle are my club so the choice should be obvious but Arsenal have offered a fairly bottomless pit of cash for transfers. The kind of money most managers can only DREAM of. I could take the job, build a squad of world beaters and take on Man City and the Champions League or I could stay at my home town club with the fans hanging on my every word and try to take the club on to challenge the likes of Arsenal.

What would you do because I haven't got a clue!

Agree with Geeza, this does not make your life difficult as you just can do a U-turn back to your current Newcastle save if the Arsenal one is not as good as you think. Take it easy mate. You are now "manager for both Arsenal and Newcastle". ;-)

Yes, stick with Newcastle until they can offer you the same (silly transfer money) as Arsenal. It feels much better if you achieve this on your on, plus the game might get boring if you have that kind of money right away.

What would you do because I haven't got a clue!

I had the same situation when managing HK in Iceland just won the First divison and achived promotion. Arsenal came along and offered me the chance to take on the big boys at the top of the premier league. I rejected as I have set myself a target of winning the Icelandic Premier Divison before I leave club.

Save your game first, then take the Arsenal job and give it a go.

If you don't like it, continue with your Newcastle save.

I would agree with this if your unsure.

Stay with Newcastle and take them to European glory.

I myself have turned down Arsenal and I'm now taking Villa to try and win the Champions League after winning the Prem with them... It came a hard choice to decide whether to take it or not but I just couldn't leave Villa

I am wondering how you have not got bags of money at Newcastle after 6 seasons? I got offered horrendous amounts of cash by season 3, they were literally putting suitcases stuffed with used notes on my desk.

By the start of Season 4 I brought Sergio Aguero for £53million and Edin Dzeko for £26million, granted both were over 4 years, but I have never been short of cash.

If anything I have found the Newcastle challenge to be too easy, with seating increases you can get the second biggest ground in the premiership, which is full week in week out.

That said, I would stay with Newcastle, there is a point in this game where you can buy success, as you are not there with Newcastle yet, I would stay with them. Arsenal will be a lot less of a challenge than you would hope.

I regret buying those two players, as they made the remaining seasons a relative doddle. I now am slowly building an all English team to give me a challenge.

I think he can experience different things by managing different team which he can bring back the experience to strengthen his favourite team as long as he still keep the current Newcastle save.

The grass isn't always greener, espicially if it's as green as it is for you right now. Leaving a successful job normally results in disappointment for me so I'd always advise people not to do it unless they're successful almost everywhere.

Really? Did someone come in and replace Mike A$hley? He sold the club to another director in my game and the only money I get is transfer sales and around £25m a year. The chairman is patient and realistic but my ground still isn't selling out very often.

I decided to stay with Newcastle (though I've kept another save from the job offer just in case :)) and we'll see how that works out. Bought a couple of 4.5 star players and should have a strong squad this season. Finding a quality left back is an absolute nightmare though.

I am wondering how you have not got bags of money at Newcastle after 6 seasons? I got offered horrendous amounts of cash by season 3, they were literally putting suitcases stuffed with used notes on my desk.

By the start of Season 4 I brought Sergio Aguero for £53million and Edin Dzeko for £26million, granted both were over 4 years, but I have never been short of cash.

If anything I have found the Newcastle challenge to be too easy, with seating increases you can get the second biggest ground in the premiership, which is full week in week out.

That said, I would stay with Newcastle, there is a point in this game where you can buy success, as you are not there with Newcastle yet, I would stay with them. Arsenal will be a lot less of a challenge than you would hope.

I regret buying those two players, as they made the remaining seasons a relative doddle. I now am slowly building an all English team to give me a challenge.

Finding a quality left back is an absolute nightmare though.

I can relate to that. In my last game Otamendi who is CB had the perfect stats for a DL so I retrained him there and later sold him to Bayern for 40mil.euro. :D (circa 2016-2017 don't know which year you are on)

Mike Ashley left the club and Paul Beale was promoted from with in (10.9.2011.)

So I think that leaves the finances the same.

What might be a big factor is I am playing as Gazza, so I set my self to international footballer, this means I probably get more cash due to a higher reputation.

I can relate to that. In my last game Otamendi who is CB had the perfect stats for a DL so I retrained him there and later sold him to Bayern for 40mil.euro. :D (circa 2016-2017 don't know which year you are on)

Ah interesting. I'm in the 2016-2017 season now I think.

Mike Ashley left the club and Paul Beale was promoted from with in (10.9.2011.)

So I think that leaves the finances the same.

What might be a big factor is I am playing as Gazza, so I set my self to international footballer, this means I probably get more cash due to a higher reputation.

Maybe. Maybe you're just better at the job than me ;) I got relegated after my first season back in the Premiership then promoted straight back again. Proper yo yo club. Hope thats not a sign of things to come in real life.

Stay where you are! Loyalty is hard to find in todays game! Become a legend!

Sounds good to me :D

I felt like this with my Barca game. My hometown team which i support is Middlesbrough, and on my game i had won everything there was with Barca so into my 3rd season and Boro sack their manager, and are lingering towards the bottom of Championship, now the question is do i apply and try to save them from the Bottom of the championship, even push them on to the playoffs, or stick with Barca and win more trophies?

In the end i went to Boro and saved them, but that was that. Hardest decision ever!

• 2 weeks later...

After staying with Newcastle for one season I finished 8th in the league (after being in the top 4 most of the season) won the Europa League and the Super Cup. Justified the decision I think :) Incidentally Arsenal hired van Basten and bought the title.

Archived