A board for FM careers...

I've been a member here for a while now and i think this is one thing missing from these forums...a board for us to log our fm careers. Obviously all of us have a story about our current save and sometimes it would be nice to share our games with like minded people on here.

I have been recently playing an LLM game (sticking to all the rules may i add) yet due to the fact that i've previously posted in the GPG and T&T forum, i'm no longer able to post in there due to fears that people will think i've somehow cheated and not played to the LLM rules. Just because i payed a visit to the GPG and T&T forum doesn't mean i've not played my current save to the LLM rules. So, i've got nowhere to post my progress and share it with you all. :(

So, for people like myself and i'm sure there are many others like me on this forum who'd like to share our FM careers so far, i think it would be a good idea to create some sort of board to log our stories.

There isn't really anywhere, LLM has strict rules and FMS isn't really a place to log FM careers, more so for 'stories'.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what i mean, you have to use another thread to keep us updated with your progress. I'm thinking of something maybe similar to the LLM forum (not as strict though!) where people can start a thread of their own and update it themselves. That way it would still be kept nice and tidy rather than having separte career updates in other peoples threads.

Yes Deisler26, it's not compatible to post in both and my thread was promtly closed.

Charlo116, if we were all to post our career updates threads in GD then i could see the board getting quite messy with random discussions in between updates, that's what made me think of an actual board to post career updates, that way keeping everything clean and tidy. As for them closing my thread in the LLM forum, i can in a way understand their reasoning behind it after their recent issues with a similar thread, but the benefit of the doubt at myself playing to the LLM rules would've been nice. ;)

Edit : You just posted before me dafuge. With regards to your link, this thread is similar to what i was thinking about but a bit messy with different peoples careers in between each others. But nevertheless it's better than nothing. However, for people like myself who have 10+ seasons of updates to post, would this be frowned upon in this thread as 'hogging the thread'?

I posted in the T&T forum about the issues regarding tactics with FM09 and gave an example of my save to back up my point. I didn't ask for help on my save. However, that is irrelevant now as my thread was closed...which gave me the idea about a separate board for FM careers.

Deisler26 - because i have a journeymans career and after a few seasons i'd have to update another club thread.

I posted in the T&T forum about the issues regarding tactics with FM09 and gave an example of my save to back up my point. I didn't ask for help on my save. However, that is irrelevant now as my thread was closed...which gave me the idea about a separate board for FM careers.

Deisler26 - because i have a journeymans career and after a few seasons i'd have to update another club thread.

Create the 'Journeyman' thread. Ask Hopey or Purefun to make it official and then BOOM! One thread por vous

This sounds very much like the career game thread already posted by Dafuge. If you start a new one people will also add their career info to it and it will be just like the current one.

I'll look into that Deisler26.

WH - The career thread posted by dafuge is a thread to post your career where there is no differentiation between saves. Everybody posts in one thread making it sloppy and hard to find the update of one inparticular save. I'm saying a board to exclusively update yours and yours only save, that way keeping it tidy and easy to read individual updates.

It would be cool if SI could establish some sort of "official" way of doing it, like setting up a server and adding a "publish career" function in-game. Then, in the game or via a web browser, we could do searches in each other's careers. Probably too much work to be worthwhile, but still...

I would like to see a sub forum under Football Manager Forums, that user can start their own post with their career stories. Therefore it seperates each post with each member and will be easier to follow than one topic with everybodies stories in it. There could be some pretty good stories from members and being a sub forum means player naming can take place.

I would like to see a sub forum under Football Manager Forums, that user can start their own post with their career stories. Therefore it seperates each post with each member and will be easier to follow than one topic with everybodies stories in it. There could be some pretty good stories from members and being a sub forum means player naming can take place.

Yep this is a much more suitable than having a hundred posts on 50 different games. Also it would allow people to select which careers they would want to follow.

:thup: This is exactly the point i'm trying to make. I think it would be a lot more cleaner than everybody posting in one thread which makes it difficult to follow one in particular update.

I think this would be a good idea. But if a sub-forum is not going to be made, there's nothing stopping you from posting a "My FM career" thread and sticking a player naming tag on it. A new forum would still be better though imho.

I think this would be a good idea. But if a sub-forum is not going to be made, there's nothing stopping you from posting a "My FM career" thread and sticking a player naming tag on it. A new forum would still be better though imho.

I'd like to post a thread named "My FM Career" or something to that effect but if it was posted in GD for example i think it could clutter up the board and become lost in between other general discussion, which is why i suggested a career progression board (or sub forum as you said) similar to LLM (but not as strict) where each person has their own thread on their career and they could update it at their discretion. As you suggested, people could name players or not (as in my case), just put a player naming tag on it like you said to avoid tipping other players.

Basically, i think something along the lines of the LLM template (but not to their very, very strict rules).

Just post it in the GPTG forum, I would be interesting in reading it for sure.

It would be great to have a sub forum for FM careers, I am sure it would be used quite alot and would be an interesting read for anyone looking to begin a long term game.

I may look in to posting it there AcidBurn. Not to sound too pedantic but i'm not sure people are getting the point i'm trying to make. GPTG has both players and teams and other discussions, where posting in there would be difficult to keep track of career updates. With an 'FM careers' sub forum/board it would just be for career updates making it easy to read updates of peoples individual games.

Just an idea...

I understand what you mean, it would be great to have a forum for careers as it would prove very helpful to people playing long term games to read about other peoples. I have a long term Sunderland game and a long term Nantwich game I would love to post about but there is not Nantwich thread and making one wouldnt make much sense as they are not a playable team.

Great idea I think, wonder if a mod can look into it for you.

Hopefully a mod could look in to it as i think a lot of members would use it...i mean, we've all got a story to tell about our current games with no where to tell it properly. Let's face it, as fm fans, we love to talk about our successes/failures. :)

Raware - your thread was closed because and only because you posted in T&T and GPTG about your save. And it specifically says not to at the start of the thread. And the two really arnt compatible in any way.

A good idea, if just to get the plurks out of LLM

Guys, please stop explaining to Raware why his thread was closed. He has had several conversations with us moderators about it, and is fully aware of the reasons even if he feels a bit hard-done-by.

However, he's taken his frustration in a productive direction, and has got an excellent point that is well worth discussing. I'd very much like to keep this thread on-topic to it:

Do we need a forum in which we can share season-by-season updates of our FM careers, which:

a.) Does not have the "storytelling" requirements of FMS, and

b.) Does not have the restrictiveness of the LLM forum

???

If we think that that is necessary, what does such a forum look like?

The idea is interesting - I would personally use it, but you have to be practical and decide how exactly it could work.

Would it be like FMS in that anyone starts their own threads and people can keep up to date with that person's career?

On the other hand I think having this forum and one thread where people can contrast careers is good. Could be a bit much to have a specific forum for career stories.

Do we need a forum in which we can share season-by-season updates of our FM careers, which:

a.) Does not have the "storytelling" requirements of FMS, and

b.) Does not have the restrictiveness of the LLM forum

???

If we think that that is necessary, what does such a forum look like?

I think that it would be a great idea. I mean obviously you can't regular updates in FMS, and you need to play a certain way to be accepted in LLM. Then if you were to post here it would probably result in breaking player naming rules. Even if you were to stick a player naming tag on it, I'd imagine it'd run down the page fairly quickly.

I think if there was to be a new careers forum, it should be similar to LLM in that everyone is allowed to post an individual thread on their own career. I don't think a ten season rule would be necessary or player though, maybe just a rule whereby you only have to complete a season or two before posting your thread. Obviously no player naming restrictions either.

Isn't the OTF Football Manager thread already for this?

That's usually full of people chipping about how their game is going etc.

The OTF thread and the CSE career thread, just to take those two as examples, are just single threads to discuss FM. I think a whole forum for this type of discussion would be better than one cluttered up thread tbh.

I am all for this idea as I said before. I think the updates on peoples games would be much the same as the LLM ones. So not stories but seasonal updates about the current game we are playing, I think there should be a rule of a minimum of 2 seasons to start with and then go from there. It could also be used for advice rather than just telling people how you are doing there are a few people that start as lower clubs not playable which means there is no club thread in the GPTG forum for the team. The user could maybe say in their opeing post if they are seeking active advice or just want to tell the story of their game.

There should be no rules on what team you are if you want to tell your career as Man Utd manager or Barcelona manager right through to Chimney Corner or whoever you are playing as.

This forum could end up being one of the best reads out of all the forums, I think it would also inspire people to play as teams they dont usually play as. I normally stick to playing in England and may venture into Spain due to my love of Spainish football but if I saw someone doing a career starting in Argentina, Austria or MLS it might inpsire me to give it a go and therefore help me enjoy my FM game even more.

From people's responses, it seems that people are considering this idea and i think this could be quite a good forum/sub forum/board. So maybe we could set a dummy run up as another poster suggested? I was thinking something similar to the LLM template where each person can set up their career update thread, that way making it clean, tidy and easier to read than everyone's career update in one thread which makes it sloppy, messy and difficult to find one in particular update amongst everyone else's. Of course this is just my suggestion, i'm sure everyone else has very good idea's too. I liked the suggestion of maybe a 1 or 2 season completion rule first before you could post and maybe player naming tags to warn members before hand.

Some very interesting points brought up there dafuge and certainly food for thought. I think the biggest question, if this idea was to go ahead, would be, as discussed in your link, the template of the board/forum/sub forum. Personally i think something similar to the LLM format where people post about their save in their own thread and not in a club/division thread would be better...IMO. What if you get promoted, what if you change teams to a different country? Your thread would no longer be relevant to that club/division thread anymore. I'm not 100% entirely sure though as to what would be THE best solution.

Obviously some kind of moderating would be required to stop people posting once and never to return (if this wouldn't be too much work for you guys ;))

From people's responses, it seems that people are considering this idea and i think this could be quite a good forum/sub forum/board. So maybe we could set a dummy run up as another poster suggested? I was thinking something similar to the LLM template where each person can set up their career update thread, that way making it clean, tidy and easier to read than everyone's career update in one thread which makes it sloppy, messy and difficult to find one in particular update amongst everyone else's. Of course this is just my suggestion, i'm sure everyone else has very good idea's too. I liked the suggestion of maybe a 1 or 2 season completion rule first before you could post and maybe player naming tags to warn members before hand.

Putting those two rules in the forum header would make more sense I reckon. Another decision that would have to be made is would using third party editing programs be acceptable in this forum?

I was thinking something like FMS stories were it is focused on a single career of one manager. But for example if in 3 seasons I give up with a save then perhaps you should just continue using the same thread specifically set up for you. Like a thread entitled "Raware's Careers" Every game he started could be posted in the same thread even if he gives up on it so the forum is not too cluttered.

Putting those two rules in the forum header would make more sense I reckon. Another decision that would have to be made is would using third party editing programs be acceptable in this forum?

If we dont allow it would it not be similar to LLM in restricting people. I personally dont use it but if you want to use it then fair enough. By third party editing programs do you mean like genie scout or FMRTE?

I think people should have to state if they edited the game to start with the trouble is we dont want accusations flying round as it could ruin the forum. I think there are enough people on here to judge if someone cheated or not based ont he transfers they have got, if they state that this edited then I can see the usual idiots stilll criticing them which we dont want.

I tihnk its obvious that there will be player naming but it should say there will be at the top of the forum along with a 2-3 season update needed at the start.

If we dont allow it would it not be similar to LLM in restricting people. I personally dont use it but if you want to use it then fair enough. By third party editing programs do you mean like genie scout or FMRTE?

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about and I agree with you. TBH I think it's a bit hypocritical when people criticise others for using these cheat programs when they may use GPTG and TTF for help with their games. Bottom line is that all of these are examples of people taking advantage of something-or-another to improve their team. If one was to be banned from the forum, then all should to be fair. FWIW I don't use these third party editors for "cheating" as such.

Like AcidBurn said, it might be a good idea to mention that you used one of these programs in your OP.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about and I agree with you. TBH I think it's a bit hypocritical when people criticise others for using these cheat programs when they may use GPTG and TTF for help with their games. Bottom line is that all of these are examples of people taking advantage of something-or-another to improve their team. If one was to be banned from the forum, then all should to be fair. FWIW I don't use these third party editors for "cheating" as such.

Like AcidBurn said, it might be a good idea to mention that you used one of these programs in your OP.

Agreed sounds like an excellent idea :thup:

I was thinking something like FMS stories were it is focused on a single career of one manager. But for example if in 3 seasons I give up with a save then perhaps you should just continue using the same thread specifically set up for you. Like a thread entitled "Raware's Careers" Every game he started could be posted in the same thread even if he gives up on it so the forum is not too cluttered.

I'm liking this idea :thup: and i'm thinking this would be a better idea rather than have several threads from the same member for different games? I know you're still going to get a lot of threads if this idea was used (i'm not sure how many members there are on these forums) but if the person decided to leave their game, as megafan2005 said, at least they could continue their post of a new save in the current thread rather than opening another thread to add to what may already be loads of threads on the board.

Great idea! I understand not wanting to break up into too many sub-forums but something like this makes more sense (and would probably be frequented more often) than that LLM forum - so thumbs up from me!

To recap, here's what I'm getting as a "consensus" ruleset:

1. Complete two full seasons before posting your first post

2. Keep your entire career in one thread.

3. Thread title to include "[Player Naming]" if you name players in your thread

4. O.P. to include FM version, DB version, and any edits used.

Some questions for those of you supporting this idea:

How do we keep this from becoming the unofficial "bragging" forum?

How do we keep this forum from degenerating into LLM's oft-repeated "you cheated" accusations?

Also, do you guys tend to prefer the "Amaroq has an Amaroq's Career thread" model, or the "Team thread with all York City careers posted to it" model proposed in the thread dafuge linked to?

Some questions for those of you supporting this idea:

How do we keep this forum from degenerating into LLM's oft-repeated "you cheated" accusations?

Easy; have a zero-tolerance policy on both of them. Just delete all of the posts which accuse of cheating. With the bragging; simply close threads that are bragging and tell them to write it up again without the bragging or forget it.

1. There is no way that I can think of.

2. Zero-tolerance of cheating accusations.

Also, do you guys tend to prefer the "Amaroq has an Amaroq's Career thread" model, or the "Team thread with all York City careers posted to it" model proposed in the thread dafuge linked to?
Both have advantages and disadvantages. If I were to post a thread on how I was getting on in my FM career, tbh I'd expect a lot of comments simply saying:
KUTGW dude :thup:

Or something along those lines. That's not the road I'd like to see this forum go down.

If we were to have specific club threads, then isn't it all too much like GPTG? Perhaps a mix of both would be best, not sure how that would work out though.

Archived