Farewell Forum, Farewell SI: I've Had Enough!

I've been a loyal customer of FM since way back when. I was there for the original iteration, the tabletop pencil and paper role-playing game of the early 70's and I've stayed the course ever since, year upon year upon year. Technology has obviously advanced markedly since then, and so had my enjoyment right up until about 5 years ago when I first began to notice the gradual and in my mind unforgivable smoothing of game packaging edges. To a large extent this is the case right across the board - a heinous blight on the entire industry - but as market leaders and true innovators, I hold SI as responsible as anybody for this hugely unfortunate trend.

A little smoothing is permissible, perhaps even necessary (I'm not some sort of demon who wants to see children losing their eyes and game packets being smuggled into inner-city London schools to be used as slicing weapons) but not to the point where once proud plastic boxes have become the limp, lifeless, soulless imitations we see before us today!

Not surprisingly this travesty has gone almost entirely unnoticed by the people here, who, let's be honest, have been blinded by the dazzling graphics and fancy new features developed purely to divert attention from the devious edge-smoothing. This has allowed SI to operate largely unchecked, meaning they've grown bolder and bolder in their ever so arrogant edge-smoothing ways. There is little doubt that as a result of this Miles and team have completely lost touch with the common FM user - and indeed reality! - and I would not be surprised to hear of plans to sign Seth Johnson as "football advisor" on £72,000 a week and install extravagant tropical fish aquariums in the SI game studios base (no doubt soon to be re-named SI Towers *sigh*)

All of this is our fault, the customers and forum members, for not being vigilant enough to see this happening before our very eyes. Well I'm ready to give up I tell you, I don't have the strength for the fight any more... feel so weak, so weak. And no doubt this thread will be closed and the issue swept under the rug.

Like I said I'm leaving, because the worry is starting to impact upon my real-life relationships (I snapped at my 4-year-old niece the other day and angrily accused her of being a filthy edge-smoothing apologist without any real proof) so I'm getting out before this consumes me and I won't be buying this once great game ever again. But please, think carefully about how you want your game to be packaged and remember that together, as a unified forum against edge-smoothing, you can make a real difference and return this game to what it once was. God Bless.

You cannot be serious... I'm sure that's a regulatory thing now. All stuff to do with Health & Safety.

and tsk tsk for snapping at a 4 year old... My 2 year old somehow managed to sack my Assistant manager of 7 years.

and i just laughed, because he's just a child and didn't know that adults need jobs to support thier families.

You cannot be serious... I'm sure that's a regulatory thing now. All stuff to do with Health & Safety.

and tsk tsk for snapping at a 4 year old... My 2 year old somehow managed to sack my Assistant manager of 7 years.

and i just laughed, because he's just a child and didn't know that adults need jobs to support thier families.

He sounds like a spiteful child. When I lost my save due my 3 year old randomly hitting keys and managing to get me sacked by sending me on holiday, I made her survive on water and plain wholemeal bread for the next 4 months and 9 days (the exact time she sent me on holiday for)

He sounds like a spiteful child. When I lost my save due my 3 year old randomly hitting keys and managing to get me sacked by sending me on holiday' date=' I made her survive on water and plain wholemeal bread for the next 4 months and 9 days (the exact time she sent me on holiday for)[/quote']

you are a complete idiot then aren't you.

wht on earth are you jabbering on about case corners as u dont need the disk to play u dont need the case out loads :D but yh u are mucked about shouting at a kid my little brother deleted my 20 season game i just called him a boob and then thut sum words and got on with it as fm is not my life no one gets what you are chatting about so please hurry and leave :)

wht on earth are you jabbering on about case corners as u dont need the disk to play u dont need the case out loads :D but yh u are mucked about shouting at a kid my little brother deleted my 20 season game i just called him a boob and then thut sum words and got on with it as fm is not my life no one gets what you are chatting about so please hurry and leave :)

You dont need the disk to play?

I do:confused:

u dont u install it and then the disk not need 2 be used again :) hence all the activation stuff

Ok thanks!

By the way, cut down with the text speak if you can, its not allowed:p

Thanks again, woop.

On topic- Pointless, pathetic thread.

I can imagine you sitting there, rubbing your hands, thinking you had made a hilariously funny thread, one where you could gain satisfaction at people laughing at it. Well, I'm sorry to say, but that is a huge failure!

If I was an X-factor FM judge, that would be a 'no' from me....:thdn:

This humorous original post is missing one thing........ the funny part!

Slightly sort of off topic. Does anybody feel that valid, constructive and well written threads go un-noticed whilst drivel like this results in threads pages long? Sad state of affairs!

You not going to close it?

If it continues in its current state it'll soon run its course and limp down the forums. Of course if people keep posting in it, it'll stay near the top. I'm not a huge fan of closing threads if I don't absolutely have to fwiw.

I can imagine you sitting there, rubbing your hands, thinking you had made a hilariously funny thread, one where you could gain satisfaction at people laughing at it. Well, I'm sorry to say, but that is a huge failure!

If I was an X-factor FM judge, that would be a 'no' from me....:thdn:

While it's true that the reviews have thus far been less than favourable, I have confidence that this thread has real legs and come 9:30, 10:00pm the adulation will start pouring in. And yes, then I will be rubbing my hands victoriously.

Or more likely the thread will be closed.

You would think that with it forming a cornerstone of today's culture, people would be more apt to recognize blatant parodies dripping with sarcasm.

Sadly this post succeeds not because it manages comedic genius, but because it manages to confuse the masses as much as the reflected sunlight off something shiny. Congratulations on reminding me why I have no faith in humanity any more!

[/melodrama]

If it continues in its current state it'll soon run its course and limp down the forums. Of course if people keep posting in it, it'll stay near the top. I'm not a huge fan of closing threads if I don't absolutely have to fwiw.

Surely if it stays open its just an invite for people to abuse it and write drivel?

I thought it was well enough mockery of people posting that they're done and leaving (psst: they'll be back by next February.)

OK, I tried. But too many people posting drivel (the OP isn't one of them particularly). Shame, I had genuine hopes that this could turn into something mildly interesting. Though in fairness I had absolutely nothing to base that hope upon.

Archived