When does FM20 Liverpool stop being dominant?!

I'm in season 5 with Brighton and there is just no let up with them in the league. I lose track of the players they bring in, it's quite something, and they keep going along at an impressive clip. Obviously 5 years isn't that long into the future, but still they've been going gangbusters.

Just wondered if anyone is 10, 15, 20 seasons in with a Premier League save and see any diminishing returns from them?

I'm only a cup team at this stage, so it doesn't make any difference to my final league position, but it just got me wondering how long they can be quite so imperious and for the virtual fans some variety at the top might be nice :-)

Was the FM18 ManCity squad like this?

Edited by CaptCanuck

I was actually lucky enough to edge them 2-1 over the two legs of the Carabao Cup semi... of course they likely see it as a nuisance.

They are on track for the their 5th straight league, have one treble, and are now rumoured to be in for MBappe, while already having a front 3 of Kane, Fati, and Esposito, with Fabio Silva on the bench.

I'm nearing the end of my second season as AS Monaco. 

Liverpool won the league and FA Cup in the first season.

In the second season, they're on course to win the league again, but has been knocked out of both cups.

They have been nowhere close to winning the CL in both seasons. 

They're incredibly strong in my save, five seasons in with Man Utd. Think they've won 2 league titles, a Champions League (and made two finals) and won several domestic cups. Think I've lost two league games over the last three seasons and they're still within a couple of points of me each year. Definitely relish the challenge though!

They added Pavard, Bruno Fernandes and Boadu to their first XI and it's made them really dangerous. Boadu's added another dimension to their forward line - unbelievable goalscorer.

Edited by Spiegel

12 minutes ago, Spiegel said:

They're incredibly strong in my save, five seasons in with Man Utd. Think they've won 2 league titles, a Champions League (and made two finals) and won several domestic cups. Think I've lost two league games over the last three seasons and they're still within a couple of points of me each year. Definitely relish the challenge though!

They added Pavard, Bruno Fernandes and Boadu to their first XI and it's made them really dangerous. Boadu's added another dimension to their forward line - unbelievable goalscorer.

Ha! Did you get a good price for Bruno? :-)

I need to check that Boadu chap, maybe they have him too - I know he's on one of the top Prem clubs in my 2023-24 season.

2 minutes ago, CaptCanuck said:

Ha! Did you get a good price for Bruno? :-)

I need to check that Boadu chap, maybe they have him too - I know he's on one of the top Prem clubs in my 2023-24 season.

Running the original database, so they bought him from Sporting. Terrifying on the break with Salah, Mane and Boadu running at you!

I'm with Ipswich in season 5.

They have won 3 league titles and 1 UCLs.

They added Jude Bellingham, Tielemans, Demiral, Vandevoort, E. Quaresma and Dybala as their main transfers. Crazy enough they have been in the UCL final each of the first 4 years but lost 3 times.

Their first 11 is completely absurd and I usually get absolutely demolished at Anfield.

8 hours ago, bendixkunert2 said:

I'm with Ipswich in season 5.

They have won 3 league titles and 1 UCLs.

They added Jude Bellingham, Tielemans, Demiral, Vandevoort, E. Quaresma and Dybala as their main transfers. Crazy enough they have been in the UCL final each of the first 4 years but lost 3 times.

Their first 11 is completely absurd and I usually get absolutely demolished at Anfield.

Ya while we may have got lucky in the Milk Cup, in the league we've conceded 26 goals in 27 matches and Liverpool have 7 of them :-S

It is March 2025. After 2 years not winning the league, Liverpool have decided to completely dominate again. 77 points after 29 games, they have dominated me in the Carabao Cup final and we face them in the FA Cup QF as well with obviously zero hope to advance. They have conceded 12 goals after 29 league games as well.

They do have some incredible regens coming through their academy as well so I don't see them falling off anytime soon.

We are pretty good. Bunch of good regens at WB, Saliba, Sarr, Harwood-Bellis, Ampadu at CB, Lafont in goal, Rice, Braganca/Mount, Baro and Verschaeren in mid with 2 4 star regens as strikers. Top 4 caliber team but it's a looooong way to catch Liverpool. Last summer they decided to add Moriba and deLigt to their team. The rest of the league might be screwed.

In my current save...

Just over halfway through, they're 10 points clear, en route to making it three straight. They've sold Mane and Salah to Barca and Real Madrid, respectively, for massive fees. Aside from Lautaro Martinez, it doesn't seem like they've reinvested their transfer funds very wisely (I like Fabian and all, but 148M is a bit obscene). Martinez and their defense seem to be carrying them though. 

1 hour ago, XuluBak said:

In my current save...

Just over halfway through, they're 10 points clear, en route to making it three straight. They've sold Mane and Salah to Barca and Real Madrid, respectively, for massive fees. Aside from Lautaro Martinez, it doesn't seem like they've reinvested their transfer funds very wisely (I like Fabian and all, but 148M is a bit obscene). Martinez and their defense seem to be carrying them though. 

148mil in 2021/22?! Yikes, that is a racheting up of fees. I've seen that filter down to their kids too, they have a lot of talent and even the ones who it seems will never crack their senior squad - but could do a trick for me - have that 'Pool premium over some kid I could get from... well pretty much anywhere else. I ended up passing on him, but a largely discarded and continually loaned out Brewster was mid 20mil 3/3.5 seasons in.

To be fair, in the majority of saves, I've seen Klopp get sacked within the first 1-3 seasons, with maybe 1 league or UCL win in that time. Though, in my current Benfica save, they have won the league 4 out of 5 years and the UCL 3 out of 5.

Managing Man Utd in my save and into 6th season, Liverpool won first year and CL, 2nd year Utd won on goal difference, 3rd year Utd, 4th year Liverpool, 5th year United and Liverpool had dropped off a bit. Half way through 6th season they are currently top by a few points having trashed me 5-2 at Anfield. They've not had much joy in domestic cups and apart from first season, I don't remember them picking up the CL again. 

They are obviously a top team, but not absolutely dominant. It is always close between United and Liverpool. 

In terms of transfers, they have done okay but still rely on Salah and Mane. They bought Lukaku and he was brilliant, and then they sold him. I think they now have Icardi but Firmino started last game against me. They also have Upamecano and some good new CMs but very close to the current 11.

In my save, Klopp failed. He was fired, then Pep Guardiola(!) took charge in 2023, albeit with the same (null) result. They didn't win until 2027/2028 with Diego Simeone as their manager. They went on to win two more league titles consecutively—Salah finally retired after the third title.

I'm only halfway through season 2 in my current save but they came 2nd in the league, Arsenal won it - yes you read that right!

They did win the Champions League and the Super Cup though. They currently sit 3rd after 21 games.

Season 5 in the books and Liverpool are 5/5 in the league, completed the treble with the FA Cup and Champions League final with Real Madrid.

They actually had a 'poor' second half after a 50pt first half, plucky Brighton were on 85pts and Liverpool 87pts heading into the 38th match. They won and we crapped the bed, losing to 19th place West Ham. Hey ho.

Good to hear they are not steamrolling through everyone's saves at least.

Edited by CaptCanuck

• 4 weeks later...

Seven seasons in the PL, with five Liverpool wins.  I've won twice with Arsenal.  United have three runners-up.  Chelsea have one third, and haven't finished higher than that.  City have one runner's up and a couple third places, and three fifth places, which is crazy with their squad - Ruben Dias, Federico Chiesa, Rodrigo Bentancur, Thiago Almada, Luka Jovic, Foden, Florentino Luis and Mbappe, among others.  Liverpool's front four in 2026 is Lukaku, Jude Bellingham, Jadon Sancho and Rodrygo, with Sebastiano Esposito and a couple of regens as backup.  

Liverpool also have two European Cups and an appearance as a finalist, four FA Cups, and four League Cups in those seven seasons.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if the dominance is stopped or if it's a one season blip, but their 6yr run finally came to an end, by the mighty Seagulls no less :-)

2526_BHA_Champions02.thumb.JPG.67a293c0412eb6b17c4af2e8df385e85.JPG

Liverpool had their lowest point total in the save, finishing 4th, and not winning any cup competitions. We'll see if they come roaring back in August.

They are giving me a hard time in my current Villa save, just finished season 2. Liverpool comfortably won the league both seasons, attaining 105 and 101 points respectively. The closest challengers being absolutely miles off.

Have also lost to them in the FA Cup final (season 1) and Champions League final (season 2). About to go up against them in the Club World Cup now.

The combination of Klopp's Gegenpressing tactics and players like Salah, Mane, VVD, TAA, Fabinho, etc. makes them just unbeatable. And in my current save they have held onto the lot while adding Dybala and de Jong as well. FFS.

Won first 3 PL titles on my save. 4th season for me is where is changed they came 5th and sacked Klopp and replaced him with Mourinho in 8th season now and haven't won another league title since

Edited by Mcfc1894
More detail