How do you get over the urge of save scumming?

Personally I don't use autosave, then I immediately hit save after a match so the score is fixed.

However, I can't help but save SCUMMM when a player gets injured in training for a couple of months. I really can't take it graciously. It's outrageous for me since I like to manage a small squad with 19-20 players.

Edited by xilere

I just take it as a chance to learn and improve things.  Do I have a player who can do the job well but just doesn't play that position yet?  Is there a younger player who can use the playing time to develop? 

As far as reloading until you get the result you want I don't understand.  Could of just spent the same time analyzing and watching more of the match in the first place to help understand what is happening and to develop your system.

You just have to learn to take a defeat on the chin (or an injury). The only time these days that I will replay a game is when there is a genuine bug that messes up the result. I have done it once on FM20, when a goal was randomly assigned to my side despite the fact we did not score, and that meant we won the game. Otherwise, I do not see the point. 

I did this a long time ago, when I was younger and I guess less mature (offence not intended to anyone but myself here). In the end it ruins a save though. I do not feel that I deserve the results and eventually my interest dies. 

There is no way to avoid it except to have some discipline.

The trick is to think: play the game. As it is. With bad luck and good luck.

Save scumming would take all the excitement away as you might aswell edit the database giving you 10 Ronaldos. Its the same thing in practise. No fun! Hence I never save scum. I rather start over which i do sometimes.

I have two-weekly autosaves, mostly in case I play FM drunk. But I also sometimes go back and re-do the summer transfer window if I find the squad I've ended up with completely kills my passion for the save i.e. I've bought far too many players and struggle to loan them all out. Or if when first starting a save aiming to build around a specific player that player gets injured (once had Messi get a 10 month injury 2nd day of the season - he ended up scoring 30 goals that season instead!) but once I'm a month in I just roll with the punches. Never reloaded because of losing a player / missing out on one / losing a game either. After all, everyone loses. Sir Alex Ferguson couldn't even win his last match! 

I just cant be bothered with scumming. who cares?

Im not the actual manager of that team I am on FM, my life doesnt depend on it. Its a bunch of dots running around a screen. Badly.

I think you should just play and enjoy the game however you see fit.

Some people like to take over teams way down the leagues and build them up. Thats fine. Ive done good saves like that, but im busy, full time job, family, i just like going in at the top level and making a few big signings and trying to win things.

If you want to scum to test tactics or because you were absolutely robbed, its not the end of the world.

If you want to get out of scumming, just tell yourself no matter WHAT happens, you wont scum your save.

• 11 months later...

Personally I think you should remember that FM is a game and that you should have fun playing it.

If you want to test the game to see what happens when you win all the available trophies (I did it in a sort of superman save :) ) then go for it.. you will find that also in that situation, to limit the number of reload, you will have to prepare matches and study opponents. If you want to avoid being fired because you want to play absolutely with that team even if you are losing a ton of matches, and you are happy with that, then go for it.

If you prefer never saving and never reload because you like more in that way, than go for that. 

What is important is that you play the game in a way that makes you happy of the time you spent on it. FM is not life, so there is no reason to make it more complicated than it is.

A small tip to learn not to scum save: do a superman save when you break all the records (or at least most of them) and then begin again with a normal save, you will then appreciate much more ending in the middle of the table 😜.

I have the artistic approach :D Kind of Zdenek Zeman but a little bit safer philosophy, trying to make my teams play nice attacking football, and if the results go with it, i won't complain, if they don't, i go somewhere else :D

I don't save scum, that ruins the inmersion in reality for me, I like the challenges that the game presents as you go through.

Save scumming would ruin my enjoyement of FM for sure. But is your game, if u want to save scum, do it and feel proud about it.