New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

Hi there, 

Great thread folks. 

I'm planning on buying a new laptop (purely for FM 20) and would greatly appreciate some advice..

I'm weighing up the following the two laptops. One is £900 and the other is £1150:

https://www.box.co.uk/Medion-Erazer-X15801_2613622.html

https://www.box.co.uk/30025007-Medion-Erazer-X6805_2431524.html

Is the 16 ram and a newer processor worth the extra £250? I'm looking to play approx 10 leagues on a large database, maybe the £900 machine would be ample to run speedily for this setup? 

Also, if they're both bad value for money I'd love a better recommendation for <£1200!

Cheers

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, OskAm said:

Hi there, 

Great thread folks. 

I'm planning on buying a new laptop (purely for FM 20) and would greatly appreciate some advice..

I'm weighing up the following the two laptops. One is £900 and the other is £1150:

https://www.box.co.uk/Medion-Erazer-X15801_2613622.html

https://www.box.co.uk/30025007-Medion-Erazer-X6805_2431524.html

Is the 16 ram and a newer processor worth the extra £250? I'm looking to play approx 10 leagues on a large database, maybe the £900 machine would be ample to run speedily for this setup? 

Also, if they're both bad value for money I'd love a better recommendation for <£1200!

Cheers

It would be worth it.

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Even with throttling due to the TDP?

I can't say without running FM on the two machines but those benchmarks run a quite intensive workload so I'd expect them to start hitting any thermal throttling

1 hour ago, EdL said:

I can't say without running FM on the two machines but those benchmarks run a quite intensive workload so I'd expect them to start hitting any thermal throttling

I'm a little bit surprised to be honest - but there you go! Learning everyday!

3 minutes ago, SamheinWitchKilla said:

Thank you, only difference is the hard drive storage, correct?

Yep, according to the specs on the site. And its an SSD rather than a HDD so you get a small speed increase for loading things from the hard drive. But its easy enough to add storage space to laptops if that would be an issue - you can probably get a 1 or 2 Tb external drive with the money you save.

Good afternoon

Been out of the PC market for a while as my trusty home build has just given up the ghost, need to build again.

My PC only really gets 2 games played on it FM for me and Minecraft for the kids, but I don't have a ton of money to build a high end gaming rig.  I'm looking at spending 400 - 500.

My first question is does the Ryzen APU (3400g) run FM any good? - this seems the easiest way to save some money.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Par7yPoison said:

Yep, according to the specs on the site. And its an SSD rather than a HDD so you get a small speed increase for loading things from the hard drive. But its easy enough to add storage space to laptops if that would be an issue - you can probably get a 1 or 2 Tb external drive with the money you save.

Appreciate it. Not too bothered about the space as I have about 3 or 4 external drives anyway :)

Saw they have a Black Friday price promise until tonight too so I might as well just grab it today.

Hi looking for a cheap laptop to run fm20 ideally around the £400 mark. I understand I won’t get a high quality for that price but would like one that has a game speed of more than my current 1/2 star! Will this one be any good if not any tips on any particular ones I maybe get for around the £400 mark thanks a lot https://ao.com/product/nxhf9ek016-acer-laptop-black-69240-251.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi7fJ6cX75QIVio2yCh3J5Qm1EAQYAiABEgK1n_D_BwE&&WT.z_PT=Computing&WT.z_AT=Laptop&WT.z_MT=Search&WT.z_MAT=Acer&WT.z_FT=Free Standing&WT.z_PC=NX.HF9EK.016&WT.srch=1&WT.z_KW=NX.HF9EK.016&WT.z_DT=m&WT.z_RTM=PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIi7fJ6cX75QIVio2yCh3J5Qm1EAQYAiABEgK1n_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!8149!3!285032541340!!!g!652688405220!&&WT.z_CN=CE - Laptop - Gen&WT.z_AG=CE - Laptop - Gen

1 hour ago, ncamb said:

How many leagues/database size etc do you play with?

I have a laptop with the next model CPU down and it handles FM quite nicely with 8 nations loaded with all divisions with a large databse (Belgium, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Scotland and Spain loaded).

So, if your game is a similar setup to that you should have no problems at all.  And if you do fancy playing in 3D, the integrated graphics in those AMD Ryzen chips is actually pretty strong and will handle the game at medium to high settings in 3D.

Edited by kevhamster

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I have read above that by using Quidco you can get 17.5% cashback off HP laptops from Currys.

Can anyone please enlighten me of how Quidco works and how you would recieve the money back?

Also liking the sound of this https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html - Would this offer work with this laptop?

All support is much appreciated.

Thanks

36 minutes ago, macca72 said:

Good afternoon

Been out of the PC market for a while as my trusty home build has just given up the ghost, need to build again.

My PC only really gets 2 games played on it FM for me and Minecraft for the kids, but I don't have a ton of money to build a high end gaming rig.  I'm looking at spending 400 - 500.

My first question is does the Ryzen APU (3400g) run FM any good? - this seems the easiest way to save some money.

Thanks

If it's the Ryzen 5 3400G, then that will be very decent for FM.

Wouldn't like to say whether it will handle Minecraft without a dedicated graphics card though.

3 minutes ago, chrisevolfc95 said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I have read above that by using Quidco you can get 17.5% cashback off HP laptops from Currys.

Can anyone please enlighten me of how Quidco works and how you would recieve the money back?

Also liking the sound of this https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html - Would this offer work with this laptop?

All support is much appreciated.

Thanks

Quidco is a website with an account where money is paid into that after you visit sites through their links. You can withdraw this into your bank account or a as voucher usually with a small % increase in value. Im sure their website will have an about section that will explain it better.

I don't think that laptop will be in the offer though - it isn't classed as a gaming one.

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

If it's the Ryzen 5 3400G, then that will be very decent for FM.

Wouldn't like to say whether it will handle Minecraft without a dedicated graphics card though.

It is the Ryzen 5 yes.  That's good to know thanks, it's a good chunk of saving.

28 minutes ago, Db1990 said:

Hi looking for a cheap laptop to run fm20 ideally around the £400 mark. I understand I won’t get a high quality for that price but would like one that has a game speed of more than my current 1/2 star! Will this one be any good if not any tips on any particular ones I maybe get for around the £400 mark thanks a lot https://ao.com/product/nxhf9ek016-acer-laptop-black-69240-251.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi7fJ6cX75QIVio2yCh3J5Qm1EAQYAiABEgK1n_D_BwE&&WT.z_PT=Computing&WT.z_AT=Laptop&WT.z_MT=Search&WT.z_MAT=Acer&WT.z_FT=Free Standing&WT.z_PC=NX.HF9EK.016&WT.srch=1&WT.z_KW=NX.HF9EK.016&WT.z_DT=m&WT.z_RTM=PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIi7fJ6cX75QIVio2yCh3J5Qm1EAQYAiABEgK1n_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!8149!3!285032541340!!!g!652688405220!&&WT.z_CN=CE - Laptop - Gen&WT.z_AG=CE - Laptop - Gen

Honestly, without knowing your game setup and your existing system it's impossible to say whether these will do any better.

But, the AMD Athlon CPUs these have aren't great.

Having a quick look around (as I'm a bit pushed for time), this would be a much better bet in that pricerange - but there may be better, even on Currys,

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-43-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198290-pdt.html

3 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Honestly, without knowing your game setup and your existing system it's impossible to say whether these will do any better.

But, the AMD Athlon CPUs these have aren't great.

Having a quick look around (as I'm a bit pushed for time), this would be a much better bet in that pricerange - but there may be better, even on Currys,

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-43-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198290-pdt.html

Thanks mate. I literally load 2-3 leagues and large database. English Spanish and Italian. Not bothered about graphics watch just commentary anyways. 

Just now, Db1990 said:

Thanks mate. I literally load 2-3 leagues and large database. English Spanish and Italian. Not bothered about graphics watch just commentary anyways. 

This one posted a few replies earlier is cheaper than Currys - not saying its better but it should certainly run 3 nations and a large db pretty well. 

ebuyer Lenovo

42 minuti fa, kevhamster ha scritto:

How many leagues/database size etc do you play with?

I have a laptop with the next model CPU down and it handles FM quite nicely with 8 nations loaded with all divisions with a large databse (Belgium, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Scotland and Spain loaded).

So, if your game is a similar setup to that you should have no problems at all.  And if you do fancy playing in 3D, the integrated graphics in those AMD Ryzen chips is actually pretty strong and will handle the game at medium to high settings in 3D.

I use similar settings, so it should works fine! Thanks!

10 hours ago, Par7yPoison said:

The one from Argos is cheaper here and if you go through Quidco there is a 15% cashback on HP gaming laptops at the moment.

HP Pavilion 15-bc550na 15.6" Intel® Core™ i5 GTX 1050 Gaming Laptop - 512 GB SSD

Ordered and requested to collect from store tomorrow, however I don't seem to have received the right amount of cashback via Quidco. It seems to have only went through as 1% despite being a HP Gaming Laptop.

Sorry to be a pain but I have a tendency to buy terrible Laptops so want to make sure I get a decent one this time round.

I typically only use the laptop for FM & streaming netflix - I typically play with the 3/4 major leagues with a large database. 

Any recommendations before I jump into buying something please ? Budget around £500, so far tempted by the below?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html

6 minutes ago, chrisevolfc95 said:

Sorry to be a pain but I have a tendency to buy terrible Laptops so want to make sure I get a decent one this time round.

I typically only use the laptop for FM & streaming netflix - I typically play with the 3/4 major leagues with a large database. 

Any recommendations before I jump into buying something please ? Budget around £500, so far tempted by the below?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html

That is decent. Very good CPU. I don't know how good the integrated graphics are on these newer Intels are but they should be happy to play 3D at medium settings at least, based on my experience with a much older Intel i3. 

Processing speeds in game should be quick though. These 10th gen Intels seem to be smashing the benchmark tests even with their low base clock speed. 

4 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

That is decent. Very good CPU. I don't know how good the integrated graphics are on these newer Intels are but they should be happy to play 3D at medium settings at least, based on my experience with a much older Intel i3. 

Processing speeds in game should be quick though. These 10th gen Intels seem to be smashing the benchmark tests even with their low base clock speed. 

Would you recommend any others for a similar/slightly higher price? Or would this be fine going forward into future FM's

12 minutes ago, chrisevolfc95 said:

Would you recommend any others for a similar/slightly higher price? Or would this be fine going forward into future FM's

It's pretty much a top of the range CPU, so in that respect should be fine for a while, but without knowing what the system requirements will be going forward it's genuinely impossible to say for certain. 

You won't get much, if any better, for that sort of price. 

If you do plan to play other modern games, you will probably need to look into saving a bit more and getting a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. 

On 20/11/2019 at 18:59, Smurf said:

YOu'd wonder what the difference is in processors - right

Compare.thumb.PNG.a592e161f4140fab3949b40ae1f887ee.PNG

On the surface - you would woner why one is ranked at 79 and the other is ranked at 197.

Yet, they all have 1mb + 6/8mb cache - and close enough GHZ speeds and turbo boosts...

On the single core performance the 8259U is winning....

Singlecores.thumb.PNG.c9fbb933a95f111a0d64394ecb84db2e.PNG

What does that mean for FM performance??? I don't really know - perhaps @EdL can shed some light on it

But the 7820HQ is a better processor overall - so I'd go for that.

20 hours ago, EdL said:

Thank you both. Last question, as the numbers on the benchmarking and comparison are a little confusing for me. Would you expect a MacBook with a 8259u with 8gb Ram to perform far better than the 3615Qm with 16gb Ram, and comfortably run FM with 12ish leagues and 90,000 players? 

1 hour ago, SamheinWitchKilla said:

Ordered and requested to collect from store tomorrow, however I don't seem to have received the right amount of cashback via Quidco. It seems to have only went through as 1% despite being a HP Gaming Laptop.

I would take some screenshots of the laptop (it clearly says in the title and also in the description it's gaming) and take that up with Quidco. If they don't have a live chat option then drop them a tweet. I spoke with them on twitter before now and they are really helpful.

14 hours ago, Brighton123 said:

Thank you both. Last question, as the numbers on the benchmarking and comparison are a little confusing for me. Would you expect a MacBook with a 8259u with 8gb Ram to perform far better than the 3615Qm with 16gb Ram, and comfortably run FM with 12ish leagues and 90,000 players? 

What's confusing? The higher on the first list the better it is.

On the other list - the higher the number the better.

So the answer is yes, the 8259U is better than the 3615QM.

Regardless of how much RAM.

8gb is plenty - 16gb is nice but not really necessary and can be added anytime.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a laptop that I would only really use to watch live streams and play football manager. I would be playing online with my friends, not sure if that accounts for anything? But we tend to play with four leagues loaded and a large database. I will also be watching the games in 3D. My budget is up to £800.00.. Thanks guys you do an amazing job! 

17 hours ago, Par7yPoison said:

I would take some screenshots of the laptop (it clearly says in the title and also in the description it's gaming) and take that up with Quidco. If they don't have a live chat option then drop them a tweet. I spoke with them on twitter before now and they are really helpful.

Spoke to them via twitter and because I ordered it to collect in store rather than for home delivery then I can only receive 1%. Main thing is I'm getting a new laptop though.

31 minutes ago, Jm said:

Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a laptop that I would only really use to watch live streams and play football manager. I would be playing online with my friends, not sure if that accounts for anything? But we tend to play with four leagues loaded and a large database. I will also be watching the games in 3D. My budget is up to £800.00.. Thanks guys you do an amazing job! 

https://www.box.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-dk0010na_2577318.html

I'm still getting crash dumps with full release. Some sort of DXGI error. Been happening since day 1 of beta. I'm trying to be patient and hope that SI confirm that it's a problem they are fixing and a hot fix will solve the issue. But if it all goes wrong and I need a new laptop what are your thoughts on this one. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-512-gb-ssd-10199732-pdt.html

2 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

I'm still getting crash dumps with full release. Some sort of DXGI error. Been happening since day 1 of beta. I'm trying to be patient and hope that SI confirm that it's a problem they are fixing and a hot fix will solve the issue. But if it all goes wrong and I need a new laptop what are your thoughts on this one. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-512-gb-ssd-10199732-pdt.html

Decent spec, should have no problems running FM at all.  

10 minutes ago, Student Boy said:

Depends on what's more important to you.

The Acer will most likely process the game a little more slowly as the CPU isn't quite as strong, but will handle the 3D match engine at higher settings due to it having a dedicated graphics card.

1 minute ago, wicksyFM said:

MSI GE62 Apache Pro

Intel i7 5700HQ

16GB ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 970m

Yes, that should be more than adequate for FM.  Although the CPU is not that new, it's still quite decent even by current standards.

My suggestion for this would be to check your Direct X version is up to date, and also check your drivers are all up to date as well - if you haven't already obviously.

Unless you have some kind of hardware malfunction or virus issue, that system should have no issue running FM at all.

1 minute ago, kevhamster said:

My suggestion for this would be to check your Direct X version is up to date, and also check your drivers are all up to date as well - if you haven't already obviously.

Unless you have some kind of hardware malfunction or virus issue, that system should have no issue running FM at all.

Yeah. Done all of that. I have seen somewhere on here SI say that there was some sort of issue with Nvidia drivers. Ive seen quite a few other people on here and twitter getting issues with Nvidia.

4 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

Yeah. Done all of that. I have seen somewhere on here SI say that there was some sort of issue with Nvidia drivers. Ive seen quite a few other people on here and twitter getting issues with Nvidia.

What I would suggest doing is making a note of the exact error message then looking that up.  I've seen some solutions come up when I searched for DXGI error and some stuff did come up which does involve changing some registry items.  

@Smurf and any other IT experts out there.... Firstly appreciate your help to the community as always.

Can you kindly advise what laptop to consider; will be using it for FM (large database) and occasionally simple travel vlog editing on Adobe Premiere.

With Black Friday, Cyber Monday & Xmas sales; please do mention any laptops during those periods as well; as I will probably purchase one during festive period. 

Budget ideally is £650 but could push to £800.

Edited by Haris

Hi I’m looking to buy a laptop just to play FM20 on.  The ones I’ve narrowed it down to see below. I will probably load the English leagues and top European leagues.

want it to comfortably be able to run FM with the 3D match highlights.

would prefer as large a screen as possible budget around £600. Would all of the below cope with FM no problems and which would be the best of the 4 ? Suggestions also welcomed.

so the options are below......

1) HP Pavilion 14-ce3501sa 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 512 GB SSD, Silver

2) ACER Nitro 5 AN515-54 Intel® Core™ i5 GTX 1050 Gaming Laptop - 512 GB SSD

3) HP Pavilion 15-bc550na 15.6" Intel® Core™ i5 GTX 1050 Gaming Laptop - 512 GB SSD

Or

4) Asus TUF FX705 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Black

2 hours ago, Haris said:

@Smurf and any other IT experts out there.... Firstly appreciate your help to the community as always.

Can you kindly advise what laptop to consider; will be using it for FM (large database) and occasionally simple travel vlog editing on Adobe Premiere.

With Black Friday, Cyber Monday & Xmas sales; please do mention any laptops during those periods as well; as I will probably purchase one during festive period. 

Budget ideally is £650 but could push to £800.

5 hours ago, Smurf said:

1 hour ago, Bcfclee27 said:

Hi I’m looking to buy a laptop just to play FM20 on.  The ones I’ve narrowed it down to see below. I will probably load the English leagues and top European leagues.

want it to comfortably be able to run FM with the 3D match highlights.

would prefer as large a screen as possible budget around £600. Would all of the below cope with FM no problems and which would be the best of the 4 ? Suggestions also welcomed.

so the options are below......

1) HP Pavilion 14-ce3501sa 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 512 GB SSD, Silver

2) ACER Nitro 5 AN515-54 Intel® Core™ i5 GTX 1050 Gaming Laptop - 512 GB SSD

3) HP Pavilion 15-bc550na 15.6" Intel® Core™ i5 GTX 1050 Gaming Laptop - 512 GB SSD

Or

4) Asus TUF FX705 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Black

Not enough info

6 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Not enough info

Hi smurf, more info needed in what respect ? The laptops or the game ?

If its the game it would be run on medium database, all English leagues and maybe top league in Spain / Germany / Italy ?

or did you want more info on the laptops ?

thanks