Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Smurf

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Graphics Card (if you play 3D)

Dedicated VS Integrated graphics card

An Integrated graphics card is typically is built onto your Processor and it's not as powerful as a Dedicated graphics card.

With an integrated graphics card, you can play 3D matches, but you can't expect it to run on very high detail level, you can change the detail level of 3D matches in the preferences to your desired level. Everyone will have a point they are happy with and different to everyone else.

 

A Dedicated graphics card is much better for 3D Matches. 

There's a full list and ranked graphics cards - the higher on the list, the better.

Not strictly true, although in most cases it is.  Some of the AMD processors - particularly the Ryzen 5 2400G - have ridiculously good integrated graphics and will give you decent performance without needing to shell out for a dedicated.  Runs FM on full settings, and can run a lot of more graphics intensive games at close to full details.  Would highly recommend it if you're either building, or can get a system with one included.

Hopefully it means more of those kinds of chips come out to give a cheaper option for those that don't want to shell out hundreds of pounds on a card with 8 fans, 4 wheels, tea-making facilities and 4 million gaudy LEDs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input, difficult to get all the info into a compact post without getting too technical
 - maybe one of the mods @FrazT could add/include/merge for clean up.

As such, it is a general guide. But of course there are always exceptions to the rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Smurf  I have now closed the old thread and asked any users with unanswered questions to repost in here.

@forameuss   I have noted your advice and incorporated it into the OP

As was said above, the OP is only meant to be a general rough guide and not meant to get into too much detail, as tech stuff like this is lot of date in about 6 months anyway:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Smurf, 
I have been looking for a cheap laptop purely to run FM on for a few weeks now. Unfortunately cant find anything in my price range that meets the requirements. I have however been offered a used laptop for £200 with the below specs: 

Processor - Intel Core i5-5200U
CPU - 2.20 GHz
RAM - 8GB
System type - 64 bit
OS - Windows 10 Pro

I think I am going to struggle to find another laptop with these specs at this price so most likely going to purchase.

Just wanted your opinion on 1) If you think the next FM game will require higher CPU as this laptop is only at the min spec and 2) If you think there is anything on the market that would be more worthwhile purchasing for maybe an additional £100 or so ? Or if this laptop is good value for money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Smurf,

I'm in dire need of an upgrade but don't want to break the bank. I've noticed 2 laptop come on sale as part of the 'black Friday' and wanted your opinion on both and how they will handle Football Manager 2019. 

They seem to both be the same apart from the processor, are these good enough + is it worth the extra hundred for the better processor? 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0596sa-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-silver-10184693-pdt.html 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0595sa-15-6-intel-core-i7-laptop-1-tb-hdd-silver-10184685-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR 

 

Or does the below blow both out of the water? 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.003-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-57YT_2156569.html#DetailTop 

Also, found https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/A556UQ-DM1469T-ASUS-Vivobook-A556UQ-DM1469T_2255403.html would this be good for FM? 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FrazT said:

@Smurf  I have now closed the old thread and asked any users with unanswered questions to repost in here.

@forameuss   I have noted your advice and incorporated it into the OP

As was said above, the OP is only meant to be a general rough guide and not meant to get into too much detail, as tech stuff like this is lot of date in about 6 months anyway:)

Yeah, understand.  Just wanted to mention the 2400G as it's been quite surprising just how well it performs when integrated graphics are usually a dirty word.  On laptops it's absolutely the advice to follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, 606moore said:

Hi Smurf, 
I have been looking for a cheap laptop purely to run FM on for a few weeks now. Unfortunately cant find anything in my price range that meets the requirements. I have however been offered a used laptop for £200 with the below specs: 

Processor - Intel Core i5-5200U
CPU - 2.20 GHz
RAM - 8GB
System type - 64 bit
OS - Windows 10 Pro

I think I am going to struggle to find another laptop with these specs at this price so most likely going to purchase.

Just wanted your opinion on 1) If you think the next FM game will require higher CPU as this laptop is only at the min spec and 2) If you think there is anything on the market that would be more worthwhile purchasing for maybe an additional £100 or so ? Or if this laptop is good value for money.

As per opening post - you will need to lower your expecations for leagues/database size for general play. The i5-5200u is a 5th generation processor, we are now moving onto the 8th generation. 

Prior to 8th generation, the U model of Intel processors wasn't great for FM. 

However, it does meet minimum specs - and for that price you will struggle, even adding an extra £100 won't be sufficient enough.

 

52 minutes ago, jonesm92 said:

Hi Smurf,

I'm in dire need of an upgrade but don't want to break the bank. I've noticed 2 laptop come on sale as part of the 'black Friday' and wanted your opinion on both and how they will handle Football Manager 2019. 

They seem to both be the same apart from the processor, are these good enough + is it worth the extra hundred for the better processor? 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0596sa-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-silver-10184693-pdt.html 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0595sa-15-6-intel-core-i7-laptop-1-tb-hdd-silver-10184685-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR 

 

Or does the below blow both out of the water? 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.003-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-57YT_2156569.html#DetailTop 

Also, found https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/A556UQ-DM1469T-ASUS-Vivobook-A556UQ-DM1469T_2255403.html would this be good for FM? 

Thanks

Out of all the one's posted above I'd go with this https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.003-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-57YT_2156569.html#DetailTop

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies, won't be around for a few hours, need to get some urgent work done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Connor said:

Hi Smurf/All

My budget is £800 and the key for me is portability, can anyone recommend anything better value, without being any heavier please?

Before I plump for this one?

Many thanks

https://www.box.co.uk/9S7-16R112-255-MSI-GF63-8RC-255UK_2410406.html

Only thing that looks better for battery life is

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GZ9EK.003-Acer-Swift-3-SF315-52_2398351.html

But this depends on the cooling of the laptop - you  may need a slimline laptop cooler which would make for bulkier travel. 

The processor is not as dominant as the one from box.  Nor does this have a graphics card that is dedicated so 3d matches may not be as smooth on higher detail levels.

 

I cannot find a better laptop though as the one from box - only a lesser one in the processor to give more battery life. 

 

I'd go with the one you found on box. 

 

 

 

Edited by Smurf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Smurf

It's just a question of when I buy really then, what with Black Friday/Cyber Monday not long away... I wonder whether it might come down in price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found the attached on a black friday offer - seems to be better than others that I looked at. Within my budget of ideal £650 too. Have £150 in vouchers/money I can use at Curry's, falls to £100 elsewhere.

  • Intel® Core™ i5-8300H Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4 GB
  • (3DMark) Time Spy score: 1879

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-10181374-pdt.html

There was another I looked which was a HP one with an i-7000u and 4gb but seemed to be rated lower. Is U good or not based on earlier comments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Peter G said:

Found the attached on a black friday offer - seems to be better than others that I looked at. Within my budget of ideal £650 too. Have £150 in vouchers/money I can use at Curry's, falls to £100 elsewhere.

  • Intel® Core™ i5-8300H Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4 GB
  • (3DMark) Time Spy score: 1879

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-10181374-pdt.html

There was another I looked which was a HP one with an i-7000u and 4gb but seemed to be rated lower. Is U good or not based on earlier comments?

Looks good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Smurf/all.. I highly doubt it as I got a very good deal in the first instance but could anyone suggest a comparable laptop to the below for £550. I'm being offered a full refund (£550) due to two faults in three months. I don't trust the laptop now but may just have to get  the same laptop replacement as I can't find anything close in specs.

https://ao.com/product/fx504gde4603t-asus-laptop-black-59430-251.aspx

I5-8300H, 8GB RAM + 16GB optane memory, 1TB, GeForce GTX 1050 2GB graphics.

Thanks all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JD23 said:

Hi Smurf/all.. I highly doubt it as I got a very good deal in the first instance but could anyone suggest a comparable laptop to the below for £550. I'm being offered a full refund (£550) due to two faults in three months. I don't trust the laptop now but may just have to get  the same laptop replacement as I can't find anything close in specs.

https://ao.com/product/fx504gde4603t-asus-laptop-black-59430-251.aspx

I5-8300H, 8GB RAM + 16GB optane memory, 1TB, GeForce GTX 1050 2GB graphics.

Thanks all

Regardless of price, your consumer rights say that you are to be replaced like for like. Even if the replacement is more expensive, you're entitled to a new laptop with the same specs. 

Contact your local consumer rights agency.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2018 at 12:04, jonesm92 said:

Hi Smurf,

I'm in dire need of an upgrade but don't want to break the bank. I've noticed 2 laptop come on sale as part of the 'black Friday' and wanted your opinion on both and how they will handle Football Manager 2019. 

They seem to both be the same apart from the processor, are these good enough + is it worth the extra hundred for the better processor? 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0596sa-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-silver-10184693-pdt.html 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0595sa-15-6-intel-core-i7-laptop-1-tb-hdd-silver-10184685-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR 

 

Or does the below blow both out of the water? 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.003-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-57YT_2156569.html#DetailTop 

Also, found https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/A556UQ-DM1469T-ASUS-Vivobook-A556UQ-DM1469T_2255403.html would this be good for FM? 

Thanks

I'd go with the 3rd one (https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.003-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-57YT_2156569.html#DetailTop ) as it has a good processor and a dedicated graphics card that's not bad at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Budget - Around 1200€ (1060£)

I need a new desktop PC, I would like it to run a good amount of leagues in FM 19 without much trouble and to be able to run 3D graphics smoothly.

This is the build that I got, is it any good? Can it be improved without increasing the price?

 

Build of the PC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, leandro said:

Budget - Around 1200€ (1060£)

I need a new desktop PC, I would like it to run a good amount of leagues in FM 19 without much trouble and to be able to run 3D graphics smoothly.

This is the build that I got, is it any good? Can it be improved without increasing the price?

 

Build of the PC

Yes looks good.

Personally

- I would go with the i5-8600k (cheaper and fine for FM)

- I would change the graphics card to the 1060ti 6gb

Works out a bit cheaper 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutos atrás, Smurf disse:

Yes looks good.

Personally

- I would go with the i5-8600k (cheaper and fine for FM)

- I would change the graphics card to the 1060ti 6gb

Works out a bit cheaper 

Thanks for the quick feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking to spend up to about £1,000 on a laptop in the next week or so, the time line is due to the impending "black friday" events.

Really I'm after a small form factor, and a 2 in 1 device. I know that this will likely limit the devices FM performance, primarily because I'll be relying on the in built graphics.

My primary question at this stage is, would it be possible to run FM on a Pixelbook? I know I'd need to set up some sort of dual boot, as I don't want to run FM touch.

My current option is this model, which I think would spec wise be ok for running it, but I'm not sure if the dual system running would kill any performance?

Sorry if this is a bit rambly. JL is my prime option for the warranty position, as I'm tired of having to deal with failing devices.

https://www.johnlewis.com/google-pixelbook-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-12-3-quad-hd-touchscreen-rock-candy/p3348063?s_afcid=af_47868&tmad=c&awc=1203_1542297655_04ad8bb7635737f346a2ca094e3aa028&tmcampid=48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mpitts said:

I'm looking to spend up to about £1,000 on a laptop in the next week or so, the time line is due to the impending "black friday" events.

Really I'm after a small form factor, and a 2 in 1 device. I know that this will likely limit the devices FM performance, primarily because I'll be relying on the in built graphics.

My primary question at this stage is, would it be possible to run FM on a Pixelbook? I know I'd need to set up some sort of dual boot, as I don't want to run FM touch.

My current option is this model, which I think would spec wise be ok for running it, but I'm not sure if the dual system running would kill any performance?

Sorry if this is a bit rambly. JL is my prime option for the warranty position, as I'm tired of having to deal with failing devices.

https://www.johnlewis.com/google-pixelbook-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-12-3-quad-hd-touchscreen-rock-candy/p3348063?s_afcid=af_47868&tmad=c&awc=1203_1542297655_04ad8bb7635737f346a2ca094e3aa028&tmcampid=48

It gets asked from time to time - old thread here

I wouldn't say it's a good idea - but doable. 

Would anything like this work for you?

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GR7EK.005-Acer-Spin-5-SP513-52N-53HQ_2321763.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, everyone

I’m planning to buy football manager 2019, I have a MacBook Air 13 with these components: 

 

-intel core I5 dual-core processor (1,8 ghz with

3 mb of cache L3 (turbo boost up to 2,9 ghz)

SDRAM LPDDR3 8 gb (1600 MHz)

Intel HD graphics 6000

 

The first question is: does my MacBook meet the football manager 2019’s system requirements ?  

 

I don’t have much time to play and i’m considering also the touch version so the second question: can I use it both on the Mac and iPad since I have the same iCloud apple account ? or I need to buy twice ? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Apple has some unique quirks it should be enough.

I don't have the official minimum specs in my head right now but your Mac is roughly comparable to my travelling laptop (slightly better even) and I can run a 70k database with most European top leagues set to playable fluently and to my understanding fast.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening, got about 800 to spend. Not much idea about laptops. Usually run 3 or 4 leagues and med database. One of main requirements is for it to be quiet and not have loud fans running. I sit with it on my knees etc so prefer one with fans at side so they don't burn my legs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have find two laptops with the same CPU (i7 8550u) and RAM (8G), but with different GPU (MX150 and GTX 1050).

 

The difference in price is about 120 euros. 

 

It is worth to go with GTX 1050? 

 

The only game i play in laptop is FM

Edited by paok_revolution

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jordi cruyff said:

Evening, got about 800 to spend. Not much idea about laptops. Usually run 3 or 4 leagues and med database. One of main requirements is for it to be quiet and not have loud fans running. I sit with it on my knees etc so prefer one with fans at side so they don't burn my legs 

I wouldn't know how quiet they are:

These are good

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16R112-255-MSI-GF63-8RC-255UK_2410406.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GE-E4031T-ASUS-FX504GE-E4031T-Gaming-Laptop_2318164.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-DM346T-ASUS-FX504GD-DM346T-Gaming-Laptop_2387834.html

 

These are light laptops with long battery lifes - not as good as above but suitable for what you describe
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GZ9EK.003-Acer-Swift-3-SF315-52_2398351.html

This will do what you want too
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GR7EK.005-Acer-Spin-5-SP513-52N-53HQ_2321763.html


 

3 hours ago, paok_revolution said:

I have find two laptops with the same CPU (i7 8550u) and RAM (8G), but with different GPU (MX150 and GTX 1050).

 

The difference in price is about 120 euros. 

 

It is worth to go with GTX 1050? 

 

The only game i play in laptop is FM

The MX 150 is ok for 3d matches. 

I'd recommend going for a better processor. 

What is your budget? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/11/2018 at 16:55, Smurf said:

It gets asked from time to time - old thread here

I wouldn't say it's a good idea - but doable. 

Would anything like this work for you?

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GR7EK.005-Acer-Spin-5-SP513-52N-53HQ_2321763.html

 

Thank you for the advice, something like that would be good. 

Would rather not have the issues with a Chromebook, which is a shame as the Pixelbook looks great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mpitts said:

Thank you for the advice, something like that would be good. 

Would rather not have the issues with a Chromebook, which is a shame as the Pixelbook looks great

I forgot - FM2019 doesn't support Linux anymore. 

 

Edited by Smurf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, looking for any opinions! I've had my eye on the ASUS FX504GM @ £1,098 (here) for a little while now in the hope it drops for Black Friday, so far it hasn't but I'm willing to wait a little longer to see if it does or any comparable models do. However, I've come across the ASUS FX504GE @ £750 (here). From an FM perspective, is the GM model worth the extra £350 assuming it doesn't drop in price? Is the GE model good value @ £750 (there's also a grade A1 (open box) on laptops direct @ £700)?

Essentially for £350 it's i7 8750H vs. i5 8300H, GTX 1060 vs GTX 1050ti, 256GB SSD vs. 128GB SSD. Obviously they're all better and nice to haves, but would your FM experience really be any different? We must be talking about loading a considerable amount of additional leagues to notice a difference between the two CPUs on speed? And on full graphical settings would you really see a difference?

Considering I've played the last few versions with an i7 6700HQ and GTX 960M and generally been happy with performance (a little loud and overheating sometimes and not the smoothest 3D on full) I'm debating whether or not the more expensive version really is worth the extra. FYI - I'm not a PC gamer nor video editor, FM is the most intensive thing I use.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikal said:

Hi all, looking for any opinions! I've had my eye on the ASUS FX504GM @ £1,098 (here) for a little while now in the hope it drops for Black Friday, so far it hasn't but I'm willing to wait a little longer to see if it does or any comparable models do. However, I've come across the ASUS FX504GE @ £750 (here). From an FM perspective, is the GM model worth the extra £350 assuming it doesn't drop in price? Is the GE model good value @ £750 (there's also a grade A1 (open box) on laptops direct @ £700)?

Essentially for £350 it's i7 8750H vs. i5 8300H, GTX 1060 vs GTX 1050ti, 256GB SSD vs. 128GB SSD. Obviously they're all better and nice to haves, but would your FM experience really be any different? We must be talking about loading a considerable amount of additional leagues to notice a difference between the two CPUs on speed? And on full graphical settings would you really see a difference?

Considering I've played the last few versions with an i7 6700HQ and GTX 960M and generally been happy with performance (a little loud and overheating sometimes and not the smoothest 3D on full) I'm debating whether or not the more expensive version really is worth the extra. FYI - I'm not a PC gamer nor video editor, FM is the most intensive thing I use.

Thanks!

Both would be perfectly fine for FM.

But I'd be seriously tempted with the 1060 graphics card. 

I had to look hard for it, but it's the 1060 6gb model, much better than the 3gb variant. 

 

If FM is the most intensive thing you use then the cheaper one is fine. The i5 vs the i7 are similar enough except for amount of cores. And FM is still mostly single core, meaning adding more cores doesn't really make much of a difference for fm. 

There's a site for comparing the single core performance for FM

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

As you can see there's little difference in the i7 8750H and the i5 8300H

1574152575_singlecoreref.thumb.PNG.4d869fdbd89f66d8ddeeeabe7b71219f.PNG

 

If you wanted to save a few quid - then the cheaper one is perfectly fine. 

 

However, again, I'd be mighty tempted by the 1060 6gb graphics card! 

 

Dilemma or what! 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had originally got a quote on this from PC Specialist https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/computers/intel-z370-p

Last night I was browsing the Currys PC World site and came across this https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-omen-880-intel-core-i7-gtx-1070-gaming-pc-2-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-10175449-pdt.html I can build a bundle and save £80 approx plus obviously I can collect it

Any thoughts on if there's much difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cueboy_3143 said:

I had originally got a quote on this from PC Specialist https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/computers/intel-z370-p

Last night I was browsing the Currys PC World site and came across this https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-omen-880-intel-core-i7-gtx-1070-gaming-pc-2-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-10175449-pdt.html I can build a bundle and save £80 approx plus obviously I can collect it

Any thoughts on if there's much difference?

Link to Pc specialist only goes to the main page - can't really see what you're comparing. 

I built the same computer for £1300+

The thing with PC Specialist is you can choose the extra thermal paste, extra cooling options etc. It's a bit more. 

PC Specialist is custom built and won't come with bloatware. 

 

If you want you can get on to PC specialist and see if they can do the build for roughly the same price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, does anyone have any idea how well FM 2019 runs on a MacBook (the standard https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/); they are built for portability rather than performance, which suits me other than the fact I play FM on it! I would probably try upgrade to 16 GB RAM, and I only ever use 2D classic view so i don't necessarily need a powerful graphics card ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 2 Stunden schrieb Kevaldo:

Hi all, does anyone have any idea how well FM 2019 runs on a MacBook (the standard https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/); they are built for portability rather than performance, which suits me other than the fact I play FM on it! I would probably try upgrade to 16 GB RAM, and I only ever use 2D classic view so i don't necessarily need a powerful graphics card ...

If you don't load too many leagues it will run fine. 16 GB makes a small difference, it depends on how many apps you are running together. FM 19 uses 3 to 5 GB memory, depending on how many players you have loaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Both would be perfectly fine for FM.

But I'd be seriously tempted with the 1060 graphics card. 

I had to look hard for it, but it's the 1060 6gb model, much better than the 3gb variant. 

 

If FM is the most intensive thing you use then the cheaper one is fine. The i5 vs the i7 are similar enough except for amount of cores. And FM is still mostly single core, meaning adding more cores doesn't really make much of a difference for fm. 

There's a site for comparing the single core performance for FM

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

As you can see there's little difference in the i7 8750H and the i5 8300H

If you wanted to save a few quid - then the cheaper one is perfectly fine. 

 

However, again, I'd be mighty tempted by the 1060 6gb graphics card! 

 

Dilemma or what! 

Hmm, yeah now you mention it the 1060 is tempting! Having another quick look around, I might plomp for the G5 15 for £150 more which has the 1060 (here), albeit a little on the heavy side and a higher refresh rate would have been nice, but not a deal breaker for games like FM. Was looking at the Helios 300 as well but the design is horrendous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikal said:

Hmm, yeah now you mention it the 1060 is tempting! Having another quick look around, I might plomp for the G5 15 for £150 more which has the 1060 (here), albeit a little on the heavy side and a higher refresh rate would have been nice, but not a deal breaker for games like FM. Was looking at the Helios 300 as well but the design is horrendous.

I wouldn't regret the 1060 6gb. And it's the way i would go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KUBI said:

If you don't load too many leagues it will run fine. 16 GB makes a small difference, it depends on how many apps you are running together. FM 19 uses 3 to 5 GB memory, depending on how many players you have loaded.

Thank you Kubi, very useful advice! I guess if i was going to upgrade something (RAM or processor) i'd be better off upgrading the processor?

Edited by Kevaldo
additional question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening all, been following these threads for some time now and finally in a position where I might be able to purchase a laptop myself soon!

Have seen this

 

Just wondering whether my hard earned would be better spent elsewhere! Any suggestions, alternatives etc. would be gratefully received and thank you in advance.

 

Edit - budget is about 850.

Edited by jimmybee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello fellow fm fans, I'm new to the forum and would be grateful if I could seek some help regarding a new build on PCS. I'm after something to upgrade on my 6 year old I3 which is starting to show its age. My usage for a PC is mainly browsing the internet and listening to music whilst gaming (only football manager). Below is a spec that I think would suffice but I'm open to help smile.png Would the Asus TUF X470 Plus Gaming motherboard be a better option for this? Secondly, would a bigger SSD be needed, I'm assuming not as I plan to run only the OS off of it and nothing else. Secondly, would the power supply suffice for this build? Finally, anything else that would you recommend to tweak? Thanks again in advance for any constructive responses smile.png

Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Quad Core CPU with Vega Graphics (3.6GHz-3.9GHz/6MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard ASUS® PRIME A320M-K: Micro-ATX, AM4, USB 3.0, 6GB/s
Memory (RAM) 8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)
1st Storage Drive 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive 128GB ADATA SU800 M.2 2280 (560 MB/R, 300 MB/W)
Power Supply CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Edited by Ciderfex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jimmybee said:

Evening all, been following these threads for some time now and finally in a position where I might be able to purchase a laptop myself soon!

Have seen this

 

Just wondering whether my hard earned would be better spent elsewhere! Any suggestions, alternatives etc. would be gratefully received and thank you in advance.

 

Edit - budget is about 850.

Personally would go for this https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-DM346T-ASUS-FX504GD-DM346T-Gaming-Laptop_2387834.html

Or this is another runner

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16R112-255-MSI-GF63-8RC-255UK_2410406.html

6 hours ago, paok_revolution said:

Will i run smoothly FM for the next 3-4 years with this laptop?

 

HP Pavilion 15-bc405nv

i5-8300H 

8 RAM

Nvidia 1050 Ti

https://www.mediamarkt.gr/el/product/_hp-gaming-pavilion-15-bc405nv-intel-core-i5-8300h-8gb-128gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-geforce-gtx1050ti4gb-full-hd-1216963.html

Looks great. Dont forget to install other programmes on the hdd and set your download folder to the hdd to keep the ssd from filling up.

4 hours ago, Ciderfex said:

Hello fellow fm fans, I'm new to the forum and would be grateful if I could seek some help regarding a new build on PCS. I'm after something to upgrade on my 6 year old I3 which is starting to show its age. My usage for a PC is mainly browsing the internet and listening to music whilst gaming (only football manager). Below is a spec that I think would suffice but I'm open to help smile.png Would the Asus TUF X470 Plus Gaming motherboard be a better option for this? Secondly, would a bigger SSD be needed, I'm assuming not as I plan to run only the OS off of it and nothing else. Secondly, would the power supply suffice for this build? Finally, anything else that would you recommend to tweak? Thanks again in advance for any constructive responses smile.png

Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Quad Core CPU with Vega Graphics (3.6GHz-3.9GHz/6MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard ASUS® PRIME A320M-K: Micro-ATX, AM4, USB 3.0, 6GB/s
Memory (RAM) 8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)
1st Storage Drive 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive 128GB ADATA SU800 M.2 2280 (560 MB/R, 300 MB/W)
Power Supply CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Definitely get better thermal paste. And i think a dedicated graphics card if playing matches in 3d.

Otherwise its pretty good on paper. Sorry not at laptop (on mobile) cant check out mobo and power supply till i get to my laptop later today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Smurf said:

Both would be perfectly fine for FM.

But I'd be seriously tempted with the 1060 graphics card. 

I had to look hard for it, but it's the 1060 6gb model, much better than the 3gb variant. 

 

If FM is the most intensive thing you use then the cheaper one is fine. The i5 vs the i7 are similar enough except for amount of cores. And FM is still mostly single core, meaning adding more cores doesn't really make much of a difference for fm. 

There's a site for comparing the single core performance for FM

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

As you can see there's little difference in the i7 8750H and the i5 8300H

1574152575_singlecoreref.thumb.PNG.4d869fdbd89f66d8ddeeeabe7b71219f.PNG

 

If you wanted to save a few quid - then the cheaper one is perfectly fine. 

 

However, again, I'd be mighty tempted by the 1060 6gb graphics card! 

 

Dilemma or what! 

 

 

I went for the 6 cores quite a difference to be fair turbo boost is better too

 

 

E902838B-461F-4313-8260-8DDD7A9B0444.thumb.png.377bf641b11518a8ac73b14b70772424.png

I went for the 6 cores quite a difference to be fair

Edited by MartinGregory84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MartinGregory84 said:

E902838B-461F-4313-8260-8DDD7A9B0444.thumb.png.377bf641b11518a8ac73b14b70772424.png

I went for the 6 cores quite a difference to be fair

Yep on benchmarking the different amount of cores makes a dif.

On single core performance it is better too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What specs are best for running fm 2019 all league's  please help I have no clue what I'm looking for 

Edited by Lowe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CPU and Memory:

  • Intel Core i5 .
  • Intel core i5-7400 processor.
  • Processor speed 3GHz.
  • 8GB RAM.

Hard drive:

  • 1TB HDD storage.

Graphics:

  • Dedicated graphics.
  • NVIDIA GeForce gtx1060 with 6GB memory.

Interfaces and connectivity:

  • 2 x USB 2.0 ports.
  • 2 x USB 3.0 ports.
  • Ethernet port.
  • Bluetooth.
  • E-SATA.
  • Wireless/Wi-Fi enabled.
  • Wired keyboard and mouse.

General features:

  • Size H44, W17.6, D42.2cm.
  • Weight 9.67kg.
  • EAN: 4712900765861.
  • What will this be like for fm ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lowe said:

What specs are best for running fm 2019 all league's  please help I have no clue what I'm looking for 

Please read the opening postand post your budget.

14 minutes ago, Andy1979 said:

CPU and Memory:

  • Intel Core i5 .
  • Intel core i5-7400 processor.
  • Processor speed 3GHz.
  • 8GB RAM.

Hard drive:

  • 1TB HDD storage.

Graphics:

  • Dedicated graphics.
  • NVIDIA GeForce gtx1060 with 6GB memory.

Interfaces and connectivity:

  • 2 x USB 2.0 ports.
  • 2 x USB 3.0 ports.
  • Ethernet port.
  • Bluetooth.
  • E-SATA.
  • Wireless/Wi-Fi enabled.
  • Wired keyboard and mouse.

General features:

  • Size H44, W17.6, D42.2cm.
  • Weight 9.67kg.
  • EAN: 4712900765861.
  • What will this be like for fm ?

It will be good.

12 minutes ago, Andy1979 said:

It's the Asus  g11 desktop. Or would I be better with the gt51 ?

Links?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Operating System Windows 10 (64bit)
Processor - Make & Model Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, 4.2GHZ (8M Cache, up to 4.5 GHz)
RAM DDR4 2400MHz 16G
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 8GB (2HDMI,1DVI,2DP)
Hard Drive 3.5 HDD SATA 2TB 7200RPM M.2 SSD SATA 512G
Expansion Card Slot 2 x PCIE x1, 3 x PCIE x16, 1 x M.2 Connector for WiFi, 2 x M.2 Connector for SSD, 4 x DDR4 U-DIMM SLOT

Communication

WiFi IEEE 802.11 ac (2*2) + BT 4.1

Audio

Sound Enhancement ESS Hi-Fi Audio, High Definition 7.1 Channel Audio, Sonic Studio

Inputs & Outputs

USB Port Front - 2x USB3.1 Gen 1, 1x USB3.1 Gen 2 (Type A), 1x USB3.1 Gen 2 (Type C), Rear - 2 x USB 2.0, 6 x USB 3.1 Gen 1
CD / DVD Drive SuperMulti DVD RW

Power & Energy

Power Supply Mains

General information

Brand ASUS
Colour Grey
Exterior Dimensions 26.2(W) x 58.7(D) x 58.4(H) cm
Weight 23kg
Product Code MAGT51DT3
Manufacturer Model Number GT51CH-UK009T

Extras

Software Included ASUS Command, Aegis III, Sonic Studio

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...