FM19 Training - A Brief Guide

Le 18/10/2018 à 23:09, herne79 a dit :

It is possible to move a player from one unit to another. It is also possible to promote a youngster from the youth or reserve team into a senior unit, where he will train on the senior schedule.

Hello,

in the unit tab I can only promote players from my U19 team, but not players from my reserve. Is this normal?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Doomski said:

Hello,

in the unit tab I can only promote players from my U19 team, but not players from my reserve. Is this normal?

What team do you manage? Depending on the country, some B squads are distinct teams but with affiliate ties.

Il y a 3 heures, SD a dit :

What team do you manage? Depending on the country, some B squads are distinct teams but with affiliate ties.

Hi !

I'm playing with Marseille in Ligue 1, so my reserve is not a distinct team :-/

il y a 3 minutes, zlatanera a dit :

They play in a proper league though, not a reserve league, right? That's probably why.

Most of the Ligue 1 reserve teams play in the french fourth tier division indeed, but I still find odd that no players from those b-squad can train with the senior squad. I mean reserve teams still play in a proper league per se

What do you do if a player or players are reported to potentially become unhappy with certain aspects of training  by the assistant manager ie wants less quickness training.  I am in my 2nd week of Preseason and only played 2 Pre-season games and am following and adjusting the pre set Pre-season schedules and quickness training is not set - only physical, outfield and overall along with some match prep training. With it being pre-season physical stats are a must to get players fit.  The assistant manager has also said that another player has also said that the want more tactical defending training or he may become upset.  What are the schedules to reduce and add to solve this or should you as other squad players may become unhappy as it is Pre-Season

Le 11/11/2018 à 04:24, Doomski a dit :

Most of the Ligue 1 reserve teams play in the french fourth tier division indeed, but I still find odd that no players from those b-squad can train with the senior squad. I mean reserve teams still play in a proper league per se

I have the issue also, reported here, they are looking at it: 

• 2 weeks later...

@Seb Wassell I have 6 players wanting more 'tactical possession' training. Can you give some advice on what training session I should be doing to solve this? Under the tactical tab I only have attacking/defending shadow play which is nothing to do with possession. I have included lots of general possession training but it doesn't seem to be helping. The only other thing I can think of it being is 'ball retention' but thats under the technical tab, not tactical. I have 4* coaches across the board, all on light/average workload so I know that is not the issue. Any help would be appreciated. 

• SI Staff
9 hours ago, dsb85 said:

@Seb Wassell I have 6 players wanting more 'tactical possession' training. Can you give some advice on what training session I should be doing to solve this? Under the tactical tab I only have attacking/defending shadow play which is nothing to do with possession. I have included lots of general possession training but it doesn't seem to be helping. The only other thing I can think of it being is 'ball retention' but thats under the technical tab, not tactical. I have 4* coaches across the board, all on light/average workload so I know that is not the issue. Any help would be appreciated. 

Attributes contained within Tactical Possession are listed on the Coaches page :thup:

7 hours ago, arsenalthebest said:

this New training is going to take some getting used to have to say not sure if I like it I see no reason not to include attributes like crossing in individual training it not unrealistic 

That is precisely why it can't be trained on your own - it isn't realistic. :thup:

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

That is precisely why it can't be trained on your own - it isn't realistic. :thup:

I’m sorry I just don’t see how it’s unrealistic all you need to do is set out some markers of some kind like some traffic sized cones and you practice trying to hit them

Edited by arsenalthebest

7 minutes ago, arsenalthebest said:

I’m sorry I just don’t see how it’s unrealistic all you need to do is set out some markers of some kind like those player outline marker things I seen used in practice 

I refer you to my jokey comment above. Seriously, aiming a ball at a traffic cone is not the same as aiming at the head of a striker who's fending off two burly defenders and the keeper.

3 minutes ago, arsenalthebest said:

I’m sorry I just don’t see how it’s unrealistic all you need to do is set out some markers of some kind like those player outline marker things I seen used in practice

Markers can't put you under pressure when you're attempting to cross. Markers can't make runs for you to pick out with a cross. I don't mean it in a harsh way, so sorry if it comes off like it, but that's what it comes down to. Otherwise it's closer to dead ball training than crossing. Remember, this information came from professional coaches who are involved with training every day, so they know a lot more than most of us.

9 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Markers can't put you under pressure when you're attempting to cross. Markers can't make runs for you to pick out with a cross. I don't mean it in a harsh way, so sorry if it comes off like it, but that's what it comes down to. Otherwise it's closer to dead ball training than crossing. Remember, this information came from professional coaches who are involved with training every day, so they know a lot more than most of us.

i’m pretty sure teams still practice pens even though you can’t practice for the pressure in a penalty shootout

is there a way to create  a session with group of players to practice crossing Or other removed ones such as tackling or heading?

prehaps it’s just that I’m not used to the new training yet and once I am I’ll see your point

Edited by arsenalthebest

Just now, arsenalthebest said:

i’m pretty sure teams still practice pens even though you can’t practice for the pressure in a penalty shootout

is there a way to create  a session with group of players to practice crossing Or other removed ones such as tackling or heading?

From memory, one schedule is Attacking Wings, which focuses on crosses certainly. I think there's a Defending Wings or Defending Wide (or something to that effect) that focuses more on defending, so should include Heading. Have a look through the schedules. There are quite a few that focuses on the attributes you mention.

Alternatively, use a schedule that focuses on Role Training and select a role that trains the attributes.

12 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

From memory, one schedule is Attacking Wings, which focuses on crosses certainly. I think there's a Defending Wings or Defending Wide (or something to that effect) that focuses more on defending, so should include Heading. Have a look through the schedules. There are quite a few that focuses on the attributes you mention.

Alternatively, use a schedule that focuses on Role Training and select a role that trains the attributes.

Can I just select a role to train a player in the training tab for example LW -winger(attack)

3 minutes ago, arsenalthebest said:

Can I just select a role to train a player in the training tab for example LW -winger(attack)

Yeah, but then you need to make sure to schedule a session (or sessions) that focuses on role training. I don't have the game open, but I think Match Practice does that.

Many of the sessions focus on the "role attributes," with the session focus group typically getting 60% of the focus.

Ones that explicitly focus on crossing are Attacking Wings (Attacking unit gets 60% of the focus), Defending Wide (Attacking unit gets 20% of the focus) and Chance Creation (Attacking Unit gets 60% of the focus). Many sessions the secondary and tertiary focus is individual roles, so you could still see some improvement even with a goalkeeping focus.

Two general sessions also improve crossing: Attacking (60% of the focus for ALL outfielders/non-goalies) and Defending (20% of the focus).

5 hours ago, alanschu14 said:

Many of the sessions focus on the "role attributes," with the session focus group typically getting 60% of the focus.

Ones that explicitly focus on crossing are Attacking Wings (Attacking unit gets 60% of the focus), Defending Wide (Attacking unit gets 20% of the focus) and Chance Creation (Attacking Unit gets 60% of the focus). Many sessions the secondary and tertiary focus is individual roles, so you could still see some improvement even with a goalkeeping focus.

Two general sessions also improve crossing: Attacking (60% of the focus for ALL outfielders/non-goalies) and Defending (20% of the focus).

Thanks for the help

9 hours ago, alanschu14 said:

Most sessions don't focus on role attributes actually.

They focus on specific attributes per unit - attacking, defensive or GK.

There are only a limited number of activities that have some focus on role attributes. From Match Preparation that's Attacking Movement and Defensive Shape. The GK categories also focus on role training for the Attacking and Defensive Units. Ground Defense and Arial Defense as well as Chance Creation and Chance Conversion are the others.

And when a training session focuses on role attributes it's usually only 20% of the focus.

3 minutes ago, yonko said:

Most sessions don't focus on role attributes actually. 

I did say "Many" and not "Most" which was deliberate as I didn't count them, but I was also including the secondary/tertiary focuses.

It's easy enough to review them when setting up sessions. I know when I am doing goalkeeper training that my non-goalies are still going to get work in on crossing.

3 hours ago, alanschu14 said:

I did say "Many" and not "Most" which was deliberate as I didn't count them, but I was also including the secondary/tertiary focuses.

It's easy enough to review them when setting up sessions. I know when I am doing goalkeeper training that my non-goalies are still going to get work in on crossing.

It was still inaccurate statement.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little confused here insofar as training impacts relate to player attributes. So let's take Attacking Wings and the Anticipation attribute. 60% is conferred upon the attacking unit while only 20% is conferred upon the defensive unit. So for argument's sake, let's say both units start with attribute zero. Does this mean that for every 6 points the attacking unit gains, the defensive unit gains only 2?

I'm confused as to how the percentage relates to player attributes...

On 15/12/2018 at 14:29, darthrodent said:

I'm a little confused here insofar as training impacts relate to player attributes. So let's take Attacking Wings and the Anticipation attribute. 60% is conferred upon the attacking unit while only 20% is conferred upon the defensive unit. So for argument's sake, let's say both units start with attribute zero. Does this mean that for every 6 points the attacking unit gains, the defensive unit gains only 2? 

I'm confused as to how the percentage relates to player attributes... 

I'm not sure how it the math all works necessarily aside from a limited "they are getting the majority of the training focus so it'll be more effective" unfortunately.

Your number might be a safe approximation, although there might be other conflating variables that complicate things (attributes of 0 might be easier to improve than attributes of 4).

I think it also has impacts on condition recovery and injury vulnerability and so forth.

I would expect that Attacking Wide (with 60% on attacking unit) would see faster growth than a lot of Defending Wide (where attacking unit would still work on similar skills, just with only 20% of attention)... but it's hard to say for sure the overall impact. Experiments could be set up but that's always a challenge as there's always a degree of randomness incorporated.

• SI Staff

@arsenalthebest - Re. Crossing.

Individual training is precisely that, individual. You absolutely can train Crossing, you just need half a team to do it. As such some of our Team/Unit sessions do focus on Crossing, such as Attacking Wings, but none of our individual focuses include it.

Always open to suggestions though, if you've a reasoned argument why any team, unit or individual session should include/exclude a certain attribute then send it my way with some supporting evidence.

On 18/12/2018 at 12:48, Seb Wassell said:

@arsenalthebest - Re. Crossing.

Individual training is precisely that, individual. You absolutely can train Crossing, you just need half a team to do it. As such some of our Team/Unit sessions do focus on Crossing, such as Attacking Wings, but none of our individual focuses include it.

Always open to suggestions though, if you've a reasoned argument why any team, unit or individual session should include/exclude a certain attribute then send it my way with some supporting evidence.

but don't want to train the whole team on crossing i might want to train a 1/2 players crossing ,what use is crossing to a CB? a better way would be to lets us create training sessions for a number of players for example lets take crossing you could create a sessions with 1 crosser a few defenders and 2 attackers for the crosser to aim at

16 minutes ago, arsenalthebest said:

but don't want to train the whole team on crossing i might want to train a 1/2 players crossing ,what use is crossing to a CB? a better way would be to lets us create training sessions for a number of players for example lets take crossing you could create a sessions with 1 crosser a few defenders and 2 attackers for the crosser to aim at

Your DC won't be training crossing. A good start would be to look at what the schedules train. They're split into Attacking/Defensive. Have you looked at schedules like Attacking Wings?

mentoring question... if i have a young player with a perfectionist personality if he is in a mentoring group with older players that have a balanced or fairly professional personality can his personality become worse. for example could the player drop from perfectionist to professional because of the players they are mentoring with? 

11 hours ago, Football-Rick said:

mentoring question... if i have a young player with a perfectionist personality if he is in a mentoring group with older players that have a balanced or fairly professional personality can his personality become worse. for example could the player drop from perfectionist to professional because of the players they are mentoring with? 

Yes.

What about players loosing their attributes (arrows down) if they play, I have good grounds(playing Valencia) and signed great choaches like 4/5 stars

I see that even then it shows they loose stats not sure why is that

And more in this season 3rd one I changed my assistant manager to someone with better stats but his training preferences are psychical, and the old one was general... I see I start loosing pace and acceleration on Rodrigo who is 29 and had 17 &17 and Origi who was 15/16 and Pace 18 I used them to couter with long balls and they scored a lot now they are slower and its like they don't score that much;/

I was adding stamina, pace etc trainings in pre season, there is not much time when I could add this kind of training during the season, but in first 2 I was fine, now I changed AM and start loosing is that because of him ?

• SI Staff
15 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

What about players loosing their attributes (arrows down) if they play, I have good grounds(playing Valencia) and signed great choaches like 4/5 stars

I see that even then it shows they loose stats not sure why is that

And more in this season 3rd one I changed my assistant manager to someone with better stats but his training preferences are psychical, and the old one was general... I see I start loosing pace and acceleration on Rodrigo who is 29 and had 17 &17 and Origi who was 15/16 and Pace 18 I used them to couter with long balls and they scored a lot now they are slower and its like they don't score that much;/

I was adding stamina, pace etc trainings in pre season, there is not much time when I could add this kind of training during the season, but in first 2 I was fine, now I changed AM and start loosing is that because of him ?

Small attribute adjustments take place all the time. I wouldn't worry about a small red arrow every now and then, especially if a player is at or close to their PA where they would have to lose something in attribute A to gain something in attribute B. 

6 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Small attribute adjustments take place all the time. I wouldn't worry about a small red arrow every now and then, especially if a player is at or close to their PA where they would have to lose something in attribute A to gain something in attribute B. 

Yes but actually it is my style of playing high tempo, hard pressing and direct long passes and it was working great, now they dropped point or more in pace and acceleration and I have worse results, they were faster than defenders and now are the same I think like them...

Pre-Season

It is advisable to run a proper pre-season, whether this be from our list of pre-season templates or your creating your own. If left to the Assistant, he will run pre-season according to his preferences.

During pre-season players will most likely be at their minimum level of fatigue, the exception being those returning from summer international duty. When fatigue is low a player that works hard physically (sessions that increase fatigue) will improve his long term fitness, meaning he can stave off jadedness longer into the season. However, when a player is already becoming fatigued, sessions that are overly physical (increase fatigue) will tire the player further, meaning he will eventually become jaded.
As such, if you run a proper pre-season the players will remain fitter and last longer into the season proper. Under-working the players in pre-season or over-working the players during the season itself will lead to fatigue.
Of course, too much physical work at any time raises the risk of injury, but this can be an acceptable trade-off if you wish to work the players hard.
Pre-season is also a great time to work on those physical attributes that simply cannot be worked on in any great amount during the season itself due to the fixture schedule.

1.How will I know if I am not under -working or over-working?

2. How to increase pace and acceleration during the season ?

Sessions

Other than during pre-season or periods of deliberately working the players hard, say a week with no match, it is not advisable to run more than 2 sessions per day, leaving the Extra sessions as rest.

3.What if I am putting there in the extra sessions low intensity trainings like shooting or match preparations - defense,pressing, passing that will add bonus in next match ? It doesn't increase intensity that much, btw how it work? Can I have bonus with passing,marking, pressing, set pieces all in 1 match ?

40 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

3.What if I am putting there in the extra sessions low intensity trainings like shooting or match preparations - defense,pressing, passing that will add bonus in next match ? It doesn't increase intensity that much, btw how it work? Can I have bonus with passing,marking, pressing, set pieces all in 1 match ?

When I have three days between games it'll look like this:

Day 1: Rest / Travel, Recovery, Match Review

Day 2: Session, Session, Set Piece Delivery (lower intensity session)

Day 3: Session, Rest, Match Preview.

If I understand the second part of your question, yes you can have multiple bonuses for the next game. 

5 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

When I have three days between games it'll look like this:

Day 1: Rest / Travel, Recovery, Match Review

Day 2: Session, Session, Set Piece Delivery (lower intensity session)

Day 3: Session, Rest, Match Preview.

If I understand the second part of your question, yes you can have multiple bonuses for the next game. 

I always use the slot before Match Preview for Match Prep sessions. For home games there are two slots available, so I choose Teamwork and Att. Movement. For Away games, there only one slot available (the other one is for travel) so one of my Match Prep sessions gets moved to the third (extra slot) on the previous day.

Also, once my team is fully familiar with my tactic(s) I don't use Match Review after matches, instead I use it for more rest or something else low intensity.

50 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

2. How to increase pace and acceleration during the season ?

Quickness sessions. But be careful as those are very intense. More so than Endurance sessions. Another way is to choose player role training that focus on Acceleration and Pace. Then make sure you choose training activities that focus on role training, rather than other attributes.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering... How many of you are setting up training schedules for your youth teams? I can certainly see the benefits - create some kind og Club-DNA schedule. Players should be able to fit into my 1st team tactic once they’re old and good enough. 

I’m just worried it’ll be too much work!?

1 hour ago, KongeMeier said:

Just wondering... How many of you are setting up training schedules for your youth teams? I can certainly see the benefits - create some kind og Club-DNA schedule. Players should be able to fit into my 1st team tactic once they’re old and good enough. 

I did it on my 1 season Ajax save - set up that they just constantly cycled through the youth training: Attack, Defence, Possession, Tactical. Can't really say I noticed any benefit compared to not doing it, but perhaps if I'd stuck with the save over 3 seasons it would show? 

It didn't take too much work, I did a similar cycle for the 1st team and B team as well. I'd set it up at the start to cover from the beginning of pre-season until the end of January (for 1st team / Jong Ajax I did Attack, Physical, Technical, Tactical), then set a repeating note for 1st January repeating every 6 months to remind me to do the training for the rest of the season. It maybe took 10 minutes tops, and given I'm always listening to a podcast or watching something on TV when I play FM, you could probably do it faster.

• SI Staff
On 25/01/2019 at 13:49, KongeMeier said:

Due to their age and fixture schedule, youth teams should be able to handle a higher training workload than senior teams. By default the template youth schedules have more sessions in them than the senior equivalents.