Who's the oldest player you've ever had on your team who actually played for you?

Watching the opening match of the World Cup right now, with the almost 39 years old Ignashevich playing, I'm wondering - who's the oldest player you've ever had play in competitive match(es) for you? How well did he play for you? In my limited FM career, my oldest player was Mark Roberts, whom I've signed with a team managing in the Scottish Premiership. Despite not being particularly pacey, he turned out to be a solid defender owing to his incredible mental stats. (He had 20 leadership, I think, and several other mental stats in the 16-18 range.) His physicals started to decay pretty fast later on, but I did give him a couple of games even at 35 years of age - although only as an emergency backup when I had injury problems with my other defenders. He also tutored a youngster or two and then eventually became a coach for the team. I do wonder though, did y'all have any success with players who were perhaps even older than that?

i play with fake names, but im aware that im using the fake named Stones from man city (with city until i signed him on a free) he has godly stats for a CB but pace, acceleration and Stamina are awfully down, he is my first pick backup CB at 37, he will retire at the end of the season but i know he will most likely the oldest player in my team for years to come

Bogdan Lobont was starting for me in Norway aged 39 (possibly reached 40 before he retired). Started every game as my team won the league, cup, and reached the last 16 of the CL, average rating over 7 (although outside of Europe that was mostly due to my defence being so dominant) before retiring as an outstanding Assistant Manager, where he assisted me in winning the Champions League.

I had Shay Given as a 41 year old GK at the beginning of my current Gillingham save. Had him for a season, then he retired and became my U18's manager. He's now managing his favoured Newcastle

One of Egypts goal keepers is 45... think he's their captain too

I usually sell my best players as soon as they start declining, usually between 32-34. I've had keepers into there mid 30's though. For instance i had Alexis Sanchez on fm17 but sold him when he was about 33 because his physical stats starting declining and i was using origi instead.

A few FMs back, I had a 45y.o. Assistant Manager/Enganche tying my Harrogate Town team together. I think his name was Phil something, and he had pace/agility/etc of 1, but he could ping a pass at Vanarama North level!

I have had several players playing at 38/39 but my oldest player is from my ongoing save on FMC15 and that is a GK who came through my youths, Tyrone Lindo played his final game at the age of 41 years 157 days. he made a record 703 league appearances and played 1068 games in total.

I had a 40 year old Dutch goalie in a FM14 save. His last match was the final of Club World Championships. Was a free transfer after Ajax didn't offer him a new contract, played for me for 17 years and became the next Edwin van der Sar. Think he had like 100 caps for Netherlands and 600+ matches for me.

My oldest regular player ever is in my current save. Juan Carlos Henao, 46 years old, is my starting GK at Once Caldas. He's not acrobatic but he's incredible at organizing the defense. So far this season his average form is about 6.9 but the team is successful and he's tutored 2 very promising GK prospects for me. 

I had a 38 year old Santi Cazorla playing for my San Marino side in SerieA, before retiring despite my efforts of him staying for one more season. His mental and technical stats where still great. 

had a 46-year-old goalkeeper/GK coach in a lower-league Scottish save, he probably started about 10 games that year.  He retired that year as a player, stayed on as a coach. Some of those lower-league teams, getting a player who also fills a coaching spot is a bonus. 

Keiren Westwood played for my Finn Harps side until he was 40 - picked him on a free at 35 or 36. In his last season before the retirement he helped us qualify for the Europa League group stage, and we could finally afford to turn professional. Later he went on to manage our bitter competitive rivals Dundalk and played a huge part in our subsequent domestic dominance by being totally out of his depth in the new role.

Archived