Has SI Ever considered....

Making a game solely focused on one player's journey through his career, from 16 years old to retirement?

Kinda like Be A Pro/Journey Mode in the FIFA games but with much more detail and much longer.

Probably not. Only because it's a management game and their sole focus is on changes to the current form. There's so much for them to fix in the current game that they probably don't have time for spin offs

7 hours ago, clemo said:

Making a game solely focused on one player's journey through his career, from 16 years old to retirement?

Kinda like Be A Pro/Journey Mode in the FIFA games but with much more detail and much longer.

To be honest, I greatly doubt it as this mode doesn't fit with the genre of game that FM is

• Administrators
13 hours ago, clemo said:

Actually yeah we have. I'm not really in position to go in much detail about it, but it was a number of years ago and as you've probably noticed by now, didn't happen :D 

3 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

The clue's in the name, Football Manager.

I said SI games, I didn't mention the words 'football' or even 'manager'. Great attempt to make me look silly. 3/10.

Thanks for the response Neil, I think it is a real niche in the market I would love to live out my dream as a footballer in a digital way haha. I don't quite know how it would be engineered though. 

FIFA is likely to be the best place for something like this, as they've shown with the Journey.  It's not perfect (in fact, it's totally half-arsed in places) but their presentation and the vast pits of money they can throw at it to get Harry Kane's face looking just the right amount of gormless make for a far better experience.  FM's presentation works for management games, but for something like this it would be pretty soulless.  

Not to mention that it's another of the little things you can do just by having a bit of imagination within the confines of the game.  Pick a certain player, then follow him.  You'd probably get just about the same level of detail as you would in an official capacity.

3 minutes ago, Ron Wandle said:

With 22 players on the pitch, one might spend over 95% of the football match running around without the ball, which probably wouldn't be so fun.

As anyone who ever played PS1 ****-show Libero Grande will attest.

playstation-41618-41328291012.jpg

There was one game, I think the player's name was Alex McLeish. You controlled him on pitch as a relatively old player who after a few seasons went into retirement where he then managed the club.  May have been a game on the Amiga, but can't recall its name

27 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

There was one game, I think the player's name was Alex McLeish. You controlled him on pitch as a relatively old player who after a few seasons went into retirement where he then managed the club.  May have been a game on the Amiga, but can't recall its name

Player Manager from 1990? I remember playing it. Here's a video of it:

It wasn't current Scotland manager Alex McLeish that one played as, it was "Alex Reeves".

ISS 2000 on N64 was the pinnacle of this. As far as I remember you controlled the entire team when playing matches, but otherwise had to take your guy to training, on dates, and try and get him into his nations world cup squad along with your childhood friend turned rival (I hope EA paid them royalties for the journey).

The N64 controller was an absolute nightmare for controlling football games as it was hard to reach the c buttons when needed, but boy what a game that was.

I've never found a working emulator copy, and have never figured out how to plug an N64 into a modern tv (despite trying all the logical options) , so its locked as nostalgia.

2 hours ago, Ron Wandle said:

Player Manager from 1990? I remember playing it. Here's a video of it:

It wasn't current Scotland manager Alex McLeish that one played as, it was "Alex Reeves".

ahhh yes thanks. Yes Alex Reeves i remember now. Can't recall if this was out first on the Amiga or Championship manager.

I recall i could almost guarantee scoring a goal from a header or hitting the bar for every corner i had by charging in from outside the penalty as the kick was taken. Fun days.

That makes you old like me haha :)

I used to score by a loft ball dropped from the edge of the box.

Played Player Manager & Kick Off 2 for like ... 3-4 years, non-stop. Maybe more. Best football games ever. Yes, FM&PES/FIFA included.

Long live Dino!

Archived