Has anyone had success with a total clear out/club overhaul?

With the new dynamics system etc. I am wondering if anyone has still managed to do fine after clearing out a club and basically changing a lot? 

From my experiences so far it seems that changes are keenly picked up by the squad and teams that are trying to integrate lots of new players struggle. 

My plan is to do a save with my favourite club Southampton where I basically clear a lot of players and staff out based on the RL situation where we seem to have players who have been at the club a while who have basically stagnated and have not performed for a long time. 

But am I just heading for an early sack with this approach? 

33 minutes ago, kartavya said:

Its really tough. I am doing a Wolves season and most of the players don't really seem to care, however Sunderland was a pain (got sacked in 6 months).

Yeh this is what I noticed and it seems any influential player that you sell provokes a reaction from the squad. 

I'm managing United and quite a few senior players have requested a move saying they have done everything at United and want a new challenge - Smalling, Carrick etc. It's making my life easier. Only one who is proving difficult to sell is Lukaku. I want more ££ than we paid for him. Spurs offered £66m. PSG interested though so hoping they come back in for him.

16 hours ago, puffascruffowitz said:

That's realistic though isn't it? If a team were to do a complete overhaul you'd expect them to struggle, maybe even be in a relegation battle. That woudl be a fun challenge to see if you can keep them up and try to rebuild and turn them into a contender. 

Why?

Whilst I'd agree that the team might not perform at their peak, I don;t see why they would struggle, especially if they brought in new players who were better or more suited to the way they play and the older players had been consistently under performing. 

If u completely revamp a team u have to take into consideration that the new players need to adapt to alot of stuff. Teammates, tactics, country, competition, the manager, etc...

So I think u might struggle for a (short) period of time, even with better players. If u think it goes easier, prove us wrong. :) 

I'm coming to the end of my 2nd season in a West ham save. 

It's been a rocky road with the squad dynamics, what with selling the likes of Noble and Antonio.

I've changed most of the squad now and had a number of issues with players being unhappy but you can get through it fine.

2 thirds of the squad now backing me and pretty much every player in the same core social group

Ultimately, the players fall into line if you manage it well and  are successful.

1 hour ago, DarkSleeper said:

If u completely revamp a team u have to take into consideration that the new players need to adapt to alot of stuff. Teammates, tactics, country, competition, the manager, etc...

So I think u might struggle for a (short) period of time, even with better players. If u think it goes easier, prove us wrong. :) 

Short time is fine, just worried after experiences in the current game it'll be much longer as with the dynamics system tiny things seem to upset the players and cause problems, plus I've also thought even in previous versions it takes players far too long to get used to tactics and shape etc. 

22 minutes ago, metcow said:

I'm coming to the end of my 2nd season in a West ham save. 

It's been a rocky road with the squad dynamics, what with selling the likes of Noble and Antonio.

I've changed most of the squad now and had a number of issues with players being unhappy but you can get through it fine.

2 thirds of the squad now backing me and pretty much every player in the same core social group

Ultimately, the players fall into line if you manage it well and  are successful.

Good to know. 

47 minutes ago, metcow said:

what with selling the likes of Noble

I should permanently ban you for selling Noble ;).

48 minutes ago, metcow said:

That's good feedback and encouraging to hear :thup:.

really far down the leagues (I'm talking amateur, and maybe semi pro at a low enough level) it's possible, but the higher up the leagues you go the harder  it will be as players will be harder to replace the higher up you go.

I haven't found it too hard but I guess it depends who you're trying to get rid of.

Puncheon was one of the team leaders but I got rid of him and no one cared because he was old and rubbish. I sold Ward and Zaha moaned at me but I said I was getting in a better player, which I was, and then it was fine.

So really it looks like it only matters if its quite a good player that you're selling and you're going to have to come up with an excuse.

Found a way to minimise the impact.  I started the game earlier than the standard start of the season for that country, so for England, I started in the game in Switzerland at the beginning of June and started listing my players then.

All the players are on holiday, so there is no real reaction, I only got a minor reaction once the players were sold after the window opened.

Managed to ship out about 15 players and bring about a dozen and it's gone fairly ok. Before my game crashed (where I lost 3 wins) I was 5th with Southampton in November. 

It also has the added bonus of having more players on your side because players you sign tend to support you more than players already in the squad. 

What if an influential player wants to leave, generally to avoid upset I tell players who want to leave that they can go, but in this circumstance is there still an upset dressing room that an influential player has left inspite of it being his own wish? 

I've found with that one that often if you tell the squad that the team would be weaker without said player most generally agree and side with you. 

With the player in question I generally say they can go if the right bid comes in and agree something above his value, 9/10 that bid never comes in and 3-4 months later the player no longer wants to leave because the interested club isn't interested anymore. 

On 02/11/2017 at 19:56, mark1985 said:

really far down the leagues (I'm talking amateur, and maybe semi pro at a low enough level) it's possible, but the higher up the leagues you go the harder  it will be as players will be harder to replace the higher up you go.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I'll be using the Level 22 English file as soon as it's ready and starting at the bottom, only using my academy kids. Of course SI haven't factored in such a low amateurish level so it will be intriguing to see how it pans out.

1 hour ago, tajj7 said:

Found a way to minimise the impact.  I started the game earlier than the standard start of the season for that country, so for England, I started in the game in Switzerland at the beginning of June and started listing my players then.

All the players are on holiday, so there is no real reaction, I only got a minor reaction once the players were sold after the window opened.

Managed to ship out about 15 players and bring about a dozen and it's gone fairly ok. Before my game crashed (where I lost 3 wins) I was 5th with Southampton in November. 

It also has the added bonus of having more players on your side because players you sign tend to support you more than players already in the squad. 

Dirty trick! I bet you sent them text messages a la Diego Costa!  :onmehead:

16 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I'll be using the Level 22 English file as soon as it's ready and starting at the bottom, only using my academy kids. Of course SI haven't factored in such a low amateurish level so it will be intriguing to see how it pans out.

I will be unable to work for several months, so am considering doing this to pass the time. And maybe cleaning the flat/venturing outside once in a while...

Ive managed Wimbledon from div. 1 to pl now (first season) and have noticed a couple of interesting things; First of all, its never wise to replace many in one window. The team will play **** and the morale will be at a low (few leaders). But, you can release all fringe players without any problems. If you decide which ones you really need to replace, then make a long term plan. I had promotion in mind at league one, and did it in 2 seasons. At the same time I kept my leaders (funny thing is, they improve their game, and as an example my goalscorer went from decent league one to weak championship player in 3 years, Lyle Taylor). If you release/sell those who have passed their prime /31++) there will be less distress in te team as well. So selling eg. Barry Fuller who was the captain, was less of a problem than I thought (he was old).
The biggest issue will be the player relations. In short if you dnt have the lines between players when you play, they will do ****. Its better to have weak players who have a strong relation, than good players without any. So in short you can change a few every now and then, and be prepared for weaker relations, but never the whole team, then you will go down.

On 11/2/2017 at 09:13, tajj7 said:

Why?

Whilst I'd agree that the team might not perform at their peak, I don;t see why they would struggle, especially if they brought in new players who were better or more suited to the way they play and the older players had been consistently under performing. 

So many reasons, time to gel with each other, develop relationships on the pitch...

And yes at barnet I have dropped the captain and vice captain and bought in 4 loans and one signing, also have dropped several of the core group.

Morale is good, players very happy with me and we are overperforming.

I haven't had a ny issues with Salford City making wholesale changes at the end of the season. But I guess it's different in the lower leagues as players must be sold to keep the club afloat and most players are on 1 or 2 years deals so there is a lot more movement.

2 hours ago, killimandros said:

If you release/sell those who have passed their prime /31++) there will be less distress in te team as well. So selling eg. Barry Fuller who was the captain, was less of a problem than I thought (he was old).
The biggest issue will be the player relations. In short if you dnt have the lines between players when you play, they will do ****. Its better to have weak players who have a strong relation, than good players without any. So in short you can change a few every now and then, and be prepared for weaker relations, but never the whole team, then you will go down.

I'm glad you've mentioned this as I'm coming to the end of my first season with Preston, and I've been debating what to do with Paul Gallagher who is out of contract at the end of the season.

He's 33, one of my highest earners, is behind Daniel Johnson (25) in the pecking order for his position with Tom Harrop (21) third in the pecking order so it makes sense to release him at the end of the season for financial purposes and to get Harrop more game time to develop. However, he's still listed as 'Highly Influential' in the Dynamics so I'm terrified of getting rid of him in case it causes a backlash!

20 hours ago, DazBlade said:

I'm glad you've mentioned this as I'm coming to the end of my first season with Preston, and I've been debating what to do with Paul Gallagher who is out of contract at the end of the season.

He's 33, one of my highest earners, is behind Daniel Johnson (25) in the pecking order for his position with Tom Harrop (21) third in the pecking order so it makes sense to release him at the end of the season for financial purposes and to get Harrop more game time to develop. However, he's still listed as 'Highly Influential' in the Dynamics so I'm terrified of getting rid of him in case it causes a backlash!

In your example, unless the reports say hes performing at least decent in relation to the division you are playing in, theres no need to renew his contract. I have already played 211 hours with 2 different saves (england and italy) and it doesnt take long before another one takes his position as leader/highly influential player. Imagine the fear I had when in my Roma save, had to release DeRossi. Hes an icon and way ahead of your player I think within club status. It wasn a problem. Noone complained. I imagined Florenzi would get upset, but no, so fortunately it seems the rest of the squad dont have a problem with releasing aging players when they have started to drop noticeably in performance.

I have done version 2 of this (as I wanted to aim for a total football Ajax style tactic so needed different players so had to start the save again) and not really had any issues dynamics wise.

Basically gutted the Southampton squad, sold Romeu, Bertrand, Cedric, Long, Redmond, Boufal, Austin, Pied, Gardos, and Targett. Several of those players were higher up the dynamics pyramid but had very little complaints about it. One players said so and so was a leader but I said there were other leaders and they thought this was fine. Then a couple of other players were worried about a player being good but I said we'd sign better ones. 

Archived