Thank you Brexit....

So I have managed to make it to 2021 and low and behold, Brexit has kicked in and I have got the third option of you are screwed Brexit. I know I wanted realism when I purchased this beauty, but this has really taken the fun out of my save and I think I might have to start again. I am a very small club in the Championship on a shoe string budget with a 7k capacity stadium and I just don't see how I can continue to get enjoyment out of this.

I am putting this one down to, it was going so well, and moving back to the Conference South to start again.

Wish me luck.

Just to clarify, did you continue a couple of seasons into the post Brexit world and actually found it unplayable and no fun, or are you just throwing in the towel at the first prospect of turbulent seas?

I've thrown in the towel like a massive pussy. I've not completely given up on the idea, currently undergoing V2 of a new save and I'll probably revisit V1 for a laugh further down the line, just feel like I've been kicked in the nuts at present and I need some time to recover.

6 minutes ago, leejerwood said:

I've thrown in the towel like a massive pussy. I've not completely given up on the idea, currently undergoing V2 of a new save and I'll probably revisit V1 for a laugh further down the line, just feel like I've been kicked in the nuts at present and I need some time to recover.

Its the same for all the AI clubs in your league as well.

You are still competing against the same teams with the same rules which makes it a level playing field.

23 minutes ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

What is the worst case scenario? I've only ever had a "soft" Brexit so I've no idea what the alternatives are...

I guess it's the same as what I just got.. All EU players need work permits...  will update when i get to the end fo the season and it kicks in.. 

I decided on a save where I only signed English players in preparation for Brexit thinking I would be in a strong position when it came in as my squad would be ready and full of English players that rich clubs would be after like flies on poop. Got soft Brexit instead lol.

Ive had 2 saves that have gone this far, had a soft and a hard brexit, so looking forward to seeing the difference on the current one! Going to make it more challenging staying in the premier league when I eventually et there!

18 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Its the same for all the AI clubs in your league as well.

You are still competing against the same teams with the same rules which makes it a level playing field.

that's not the case, whilst it may seem that black and white. There is a grey area. Lets take the 100m Olympic final for instance... Usain Bolt standout dominance.... let's move forward 4 years ... (magically every runner competing is the same and no effect has changed their ability for 4 years) ... the only variable to change is that they now run on sand instead of a proper track  

Q) do you feel this is now a level playing field as everyone competed is affected the same? Does Usain feel it's a level playing field?

my argument would be no ... there is a set of rules and you learn, practice, enhance and develop a stratagem to deal with those rules. Change the goal post and it can completely sway who can cope best. In the above situation Usains power may not count as much as someone else's endurance for instance.

Football terms... a team coping well on a shoe string budget picking up 18 year old European players for £25k whilst the more cash rich are happy to pay £m's for an English player .... it is not fair to then wipe out that European market.

10 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

that's not the case, whilst it may seem that black and white. There is a grey area. Lets take the 100m Olympic final for instance... Usain Bolt standout dominance.... let's move forward 4 years ... (magically every runner competing is the same and no effect has changed their ability for 4 years) ... the only variable to change is that they now run on sand instead of a proper track  

Q) do you feel this is now a level playing field as everyone competed is affected the same? Does Usain feel it's a level playing field?

my argument would be no ... there is a set of rules and you learn, practice, enhance and develop a stratagem to deal with those rules. Change the goal post and it can completely sway who can cope best. In the above situation Usains power may not count as much as someone else's endurance for instance.

Football terms... a team coping well on a shoe string budget picking up 18 year old European players for £25k whilst the more cash rich are happy to pay £m's for an English player .... it is not fair to then wipe out that European market.

That isn't a fair comparision and I don't agree with you at all there Westy.

Every club builds their squad based on the rules of the league.

If the rules change they change for everyone therefore everyone is in the same boat.

You are still building the best squad you can from the talent pool available.

35 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

That isn't a fair comparision and I don't agree with you at all there Westy.

Every club builds their squad based on the rules of the league.

If the rules change they change for everyone therefore everyone is in the same boat.

You are still building the best squad you can from the talent pool available.

No, on principle the same goes for any change in variables ... Man u and stoke used to intentionally chew up their pitch before playing Arsenal. yes both teams are playing on the same mud patch ... but it negatively affects Arsenals free flowing quick passing ...compared to Stokes long throw long ball etc..

in my crewe save even non-league teams were asking silly money for youth prospects... so I had to go to Sweden and Denmark mostly ... was able to sign a 5 star youth for 2k. Whilst Pompey had a bit more money would sign an English 3 star prospect for £500k ... it's a fair playing ground and yet ive got a better player for cheaper.

take away the European market .. Pompey can still buy that £500k mediocre player... my £10k budget cant even get a 2* English player... so I end up losing out.

1 minute ago, westy8chimp said:

No, on principle the same goes for any change in variables ... Man u and stoke used to intentionally chew up their pitch before playing Arsenal. yes both teams are playing on the same mud patch ... but it negatively affects Arsenals free flowing quick passing ...compared to Stokes long throw long ball etc..

in my crewe save even non-league teams were asking silly money for youth prospects... so I had to go to Sweden and Denmark mostly ... was able to sign a 5 star youth for 2k. Whilst Pompey had a bit more money would sign an English 3 star prospect for £500k ... it's a fair playing ground and yet ive got a better player for cheaper.

take away the European market .. Pompey can still buy that £500k mediocre player... my £10k budget cant even get a 2* English player... so I end up losing out.

So they have more money than you, thats the way it works.

Currently they have more money and use that to buy a better player.  After they still have more money than you and buy a better player.

You are still trying to get the best value in terms of players out of the money you have available as a club, that hasn't changed.

All that has changed is the pool of players available to you.

17 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

So they have more money than you, thats the way it works.

Currently they have more money and use that to buy a better player.  After they still have more money than you and buy a better player.

You are still trying to get the best value in terms of players out of the money you have available as a club, that hasn't changed.

All that has changed is the pool of players available to you.

If my income is £1/day and yours is 50p/day ... and the price of bread at Waitrose is 50p and at Tesco its 20p ... I get two bread ... you get 2.5 bread. If we then forbid buying from Tesco... Waitrose up their price to £1 per bread... i still get one bread, but you my friend starve to death!

Money becomes more valuable as stock reduces and demand increases. The pool is significantly reduced without European market. In my example ... I was getting the better player for cheaper.

In the premier league ... Stones cost £50m whilst Koscielny (10m), Van Dijk (11m), Alderweireld (7m)

always easier on a budget to sign from abroad.  take that away and the rich teams just get even more advantage.

4 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

In the premier league ... Stones cost £50m whilst Koscielny (10m), Van Dijk (11m), Alderweireld (7m)

always easier on a budget to sign from abroad.  take that away and the rich teams just get even more advantage.

The flaw there is that Koscielny, Van Dijk and Alderweireld would have all qualified for work permits due to international appearances. And Everton managed to get the cheapest defender of the lot - Stones £3.5M from Barnsley, a place most definitely not on the continent.

8 minutes ago, SweatyBob said:

The flaw there is that Koscielny, Van Dijk and Alderweireld would have all qualified for work permits due to international appearances. And Everton managed to get the cheapest defender of the lot - Stones £3.5M from Barnsley, a place most definitely not on the continent.

I wasn't saying they wouldn't... I was showing that higher price doesn't equate to better quality... but that some teams would over pay for an English player. So at the moment that's fine because other teams can get the same (or better) talent from across the globe.

If City will pay £50m for Stones ... or even Everton pay £3.5m for a Barnsley player... how do you improve your squad with Crewe when your budget is £10k and conference teams are asking for £500k+ for players.

7 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

I wasn't saying they wouldn't... I was showing that higher price doesn't equate to better quality... but that some teams would over pay for an English player. So at the moment that's fine because other teams can get the same (or better) talent from across the globe.

If City will pay £50m for Stones ... or even Everton pay £3.5m for a Barnsley player... how do you improve your squad with Crewe when your budget is £10k and conference teams are asking for £500k+ for players.

The same as every other team with a 10k budget obviously... the market is the same as any other market, supply and demand... there will always be players around that will be available to you whoever you are... 

Either way, you've completely highjacked someone elses thread for your own inane hypothetical debate.. suggest you create your own or something tbh.

The OP claimed it was ruined -> Cougar said it's fair as everyone on same rules -> im directly relating to both the OP and the other poster ... it is not a fair change. Any variable change to rules will affect some teams more than others. you have no grasp of economy if you cannot at a simple principle level realise that its a monumental change in transfer dynamics ... and as a result teams with more money will benefit more so than they already do. It is not a simple case of every team is going to be a little worse... its a case that those with budget will be a little worse off... those with no budget will be completely killed off as they cannot buy players (or eat bread as per my bread analogy).

you shouldn't post if it is not adding to the discussion? what have you added other than to take a dig at me? 

16 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

You don't. That's a very real consequence of a Hard Brexit in real life - smaller businesses in their field who can't attract world leading talent will have to hire British workers whether or not they're competent , and it's likely some will fail because of that, the existing market leaders will become even more dominant and competition will be reduced. Crewe are actually in a decent position because they have a good youth academy - if you harness that well you should be able to do better than most of the competition and actually benefit from Brexit :)

2 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

The OP claimed it was ruined -> Cougar said it's fair as everyone on same rules -> im directly relating to both the OP and the other poster ... it is not a fair change. Any variable change to rules will affect some teams more than others. you have no grasp of economy if you cannot at a simple principle level realise that its a monumental change in transfer dynamics ... and as a result teams with more money will benefit more so than they already do. It is not a simple case of every team is going to be a little worse... its a case that those with budget will be a little worse off... those with no budget will be completely killed off as they cannot buy players (or eat bread as per my bread analogy).

you shouldn't post if it is not adding to the discussion? what have you added other than to take a dig at me? 

You're right. Life isn't fair. Capitalism isn't fair. That's the way things are. Contrary to popular belief, most educated people didn't vote against Brexit because they hate Britain, want Sharia law or are in love with Angela Merkel. They voted against it because it's a horrendously bad idea for the economy, not to mention the environment, human and worker's rights etc - and if applied to football it will impact that as much as any other field.

:p I don't care about Brexit or fairness... only what is right and wrong. To take the blanket view that it affects everybody ergo it affects everybody the same is wrong. It affects everybody (correct) it effects some teams many many many times more than others (correct). is the OP justified in being annoyed and feeling his game is ruined ... yes.

Some AI teams with similar budget will be in the same position yes ... but they are just a series of numbers and calculations not playing for enjoyment. If the OP wanted to take a Minnow all the way to the top ... the Hard Brexit has pretty much stopped that being possible because he will not be able to buy any players of the necessary standard.

6 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

:p I don't care about Brexit or fairness... only what is right and wrong. To take the blanket view that it affects everybody ergo it affects everybody the same is wrong. It affects everybody (correct) it effects some teams many many many times more than others (correct). is the OP justified in being annoyed and feeling his game is ruined ... yes.

Some AI teams with similar budget will be in the same position yes ... but they are just a series of numbers and calculations not playing for enjoyment. If the OP wanted to take a Minnow all the way to the top ... the Hard Brexit has pretty much stopped that being possible because he will not be able to buy any players of the necessary standard.

It's not impossible, just harder and slower. Arguably it was too easy before anyway - how many players really want to move to England to play in League Two?

8 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

It's not impossible, just harder and slower. Arguably it was too easy before anyway - how many players really want to move to England to play in League Two?

Mathias Svenson cost me 2k got 25 goals and 10+ assists ... Pace, Acceleration, Free Kicks, Long Shots and Penalties attributes all above 15.

45 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

... how do you improve your squad with Crewe when your budget is £10k and conference teams are asking for £500k+ for players.

Develop young talent, either through the academy or with what you can get in,  and flog for large amounts. Everton did it pretty much all though the 90's/00's, albeit at a larger scale, with the likes of Rooney and Jeffers from the academy supplemented with sales of lesser well known academy players who still brought money in such as Michael Ball, Richard Dunne and Gavin McCann. Add to this good development of cheap signings such as Lescott and Stones who were sold for huge amounts later on and there is a viable way to go about it - just a few less zeros at the end of the transfer fees lower down the leagues but the model is the same.  Southampton have done it exceptionally well in more recent years. 

The entire Portuguese top flight is more or less only financially viable through this model.

I sympathise with those who feel that it's now impossible to take a minnow to the top, non league to Champions League, but in reality that's an almost impossible task without massive financial investment which in and of itself dispels the minnow tag straight away.

Personally I'm quite excited about my current Hard Brexit game. Although I am currently a top flight CL winning team and it won't kill my ability to make required signings I am going to save the game once the Brexit rules kick in and use that file as a launching point for an alternative save with a minnow. Should be fun, albeit frustrating!

Hi All,

I didn't realise that this thread would pick up so much traction so I have neglected to look at it!? I think everyone is right in there own way but going back to my original point, I personally feel that this has kicked me in the nuts and after investing a lot of time and effort into my save (wife and child permitting), I have managed to achieve something incredible by getting my minnows to the Championship. I have literally survived by picking up free transfers from everywhere including Britain with a relatively small scouting pool of 20% worldwide. With the Hard Brexit scenario now kicking in, that pool has shrunk even further and my club simply hasn't got the funds to continue on the current trajectory that its on. This means the club regressing back to a lower leagues and it pains me to have to see this happen. I have been lucky enough to have a couple of good cup runs that have generated funds to keep me afloat, but with a hard Brexit scenario, this will have a major impact on the leagues themselves, TV revenue will decrease due to stars not being able to play due to WP problems and the knock on effect is big (in my view anyway), plus one part of the game I truly enjoyed was having a couple of feeder teams and finding talent in far flung places and developing them through my feeder teams. This has now been taken away from me and instead, do I purchase a player and let them languish in my under 18/23 until they gain citizenship?

Enjoyment is the key factor of playing any video game, once that is removed, you are simply punishing yourself for no reason and as my wife likes to point out on a near daily basis, its only a green field!!  

3 hours ago, leejerwood said:

Enjoyment is the key factor of playing any video game, once that is removed, you are simply punishing yourself for no reason and as my wife likes to point out on a near daily basis, its only a green field!!  

I get "its just lists"

Archived