[FM17] A New World: Ceres Rises

forameuss

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team Name: Cliffsedge Town
City Name: Cliffsedge
Stadium Name: The Gorge (Stadium at bottom of massive canyon, fans take mining elevators to get down to the stadium)
Kit Colours: Gold and Black, use any style of kit

I was going to stop at 12 teams, but luckily for you @clarkehwbu a few of the state championships ended up with 13 teams (I know, I'm surprised too) so I'll get that added.

Unfortunately I won't accept any more for now, going to go with those 13 for now.  I may well do restarts at some point if need be, so not ruling out accepting more in future.

So!  The crash dumps appear to have cleared up, but I did have to slightly change how the database was made up.  My nations are now directly replacing the ones in Oceania, so player naming won't be quite how I want it.  It'll do for now though, will still be able to build a world around it.

A change I made last night is meaning that it took around 30 minutes to generate all the data and rules for just one nation, then when I woke up in the morning after leaving it running, it was only about half way done, so have gone back to the drawing board to try and make things a lot quicker.

11 hours ago, forameuss said:

I was going to stop at 12 teams, but luckily for you @clarkehwbu a few of the state championships ended up with 13 teams (I know, I'm surprised too) so I'll get that added.

Unfortunately I won't accept any more for now, going to go with those 13 for now.  I may well do restarts at some point if need be, so not ruling out accepting more in future.

So!  The crash dumps appear to have cleared up, but I did have to slightly change how the database was made up.  My nations are now directly replacing the ones in Oceania, so player naming won't be quite how I want it.  It'll do for now though, will still be able to build a world around it.

A change I made last night is meaning that it took around 30 minutes to generate all the data and rules for just one nation, then when I woke up in the morning after leaving it running, it was only about half way done, so have gone back to the drawing board to try and make things a lot quicker.

Lucky! I didn't see your other post around only having 12 teams, but I have now, oops!

If you need any background information i'll be happy to provide

49 minutes ago, forameuss said:

@Deisler26 is now in, so that's us got 14.  Makes a nice round number, so absolutely no more now

Sounds good. Have you decided yet how many games the season is going to have and will there be playoffs and pro/reg etc?

At the moment - and it isn't final - The Rovkan State Championship (where all the community teams will play, will happen from March to June and involve two groups, one round, then a final playoff between the two winners.  They then go into a larger regional league stage where they play each team twice.  So a lot of games each season in that nation.

As for the rest of the nations, there's loads of different structures going for some variety.

Below are the provisional screens for each team.  Not everything is final.  Managers in particular - not sure why they're English, need to check that out.  Stadiums are all pretty small so might give them a bump across the board.  I've not done the regions properly yet so some teams won't be placed in the right primary league (most of them are right.

Still, gives everyone a look at how their teams are currently formed.  Any little things to add, feel free to ask, although I'd like to keep everyone at a level with nothing too outlandish.  Just a few tweaks needed across the board then I should be able to get started.

JUzUIuj.png

oKxIbsz.png

iaZ0nOD.png

sBH8luD.png

8487y8k.png

vZLPL7e.png

BMlXHrR.png

Ok3goRv.png

ZlQbQeT.png

NqUyBX7.png

4iB3LXS.png

LdoJJGU.png

1ysBc8L.png

PibhidW.png

15 minutes ago, clarkehwbu said:

Did my club's (Lakemont) manager leave already?!?:lol::lol:

Fortunately not - I put your team in last replacing another, I then didn't update the staff entry so it didn't get added to the dB.  You'll have one added when we start for real.

So, bit of an update.  Most of the crashes I was having appear to be because I was switching nations around.  I've since moved to a 1:1 replacement of the nations in Oceania, and seems pretty smooth.  Unfortunately, that'll mean the names aren't quite what I wanted, but hey ho.  

I managed to get about 15 seasons holidaying with no crashes, so structure wise we're alright.  I'm not too happy with the balance yet, as the same sides seem to be winning everything, and the awards I put in don't appear to be working.  I've not stopped transfers from outside of the nations either yet, so clubs are still buying in players from the real world which I don't want to happen.  Still, with finishing work today, I'd imagine by 2017 we'll have it started up.  Tempted to run it for a decade or so to get some history first before I start really updating, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, ajsr1982 said:

I've long wanted to do something like this, but haven't had the time or the dedication to do so! Nice work.

That's how I was until I finally managed to get around to it.  It has taken an awfully long time to get to this point, but most of that was tweaks to the base spreadsheet.  Being able to press go and generate a completely new set of data is very useful, rather than making the tweaks directly.  It also meant that when I decided to completely change over how I organised the nations, I didn't need to start all over again.

Maybe one day I'll make it available for anyone that wants to do something similar, but it has been written in a very specific way (to understand my terribly structured excel files)

9 hours ago, forameuss said:

Maybe one day I'll make it available for anyone that wants to do something similar, but it has been written in a very specific way (to understand my terribly structured excel files)

Is there any other way to structure calls to multiple Excel files? Amazing tool and quite powerful even, but not code/debug friendly. Great for the mad genius' idiosyncratic cobbling, less ideal for stable, rank-and-file results. I'm getting flashbacks to creating analytic models in Excel VBA :D.

I'm not doing it fully in Excel.  All the data is there, with one column containing all the data (usually) comma separated.  That gets read in by a python script, turned into objects, which is then put into a jinja xml template which can generate something the editor can understand.

You can generate the xml directly in excel, but I'm not as good with VBA as Python, and I imagine once you scale up to the amount of data I'm using, it'd perform terribly.  It already lags quite badly whenever I move cells...

4 hours ago, sherwinriga said:

Awesome flags, Forameuss! What happened to the rest of the Earth while you replaced countries (like US, Ireland, etc.) with Ceresian nations?

It's all still there.  Only Oceania has been replaced so far with everything else still as it was.  The plan was to replace anything, but even the edits to one continent is enought o make the game slow down quite a bit, so wouldn't be able to run the whole thing anyway.  Plus there's about 256 nations, not sure I've got that much imagination.

The other nations are hopefully going to be locked off.  No transfers from the real world.  Not sure if I'll be able to block them going the other way though.

On 12/23/2016 at 16:58, forameuss said:

I'm not doing it fully in Excel.  All the data is there, with one column containing all the data (usually) comma separated.  That gets read in by a python script, turned into objects, which is then put into a jinja xml template which can generate something the editor can understand.

You can generate the xml directly in excel, but I'm not as good with VBA as Python, and I imagine once you scale up to the amount of data I'm using, it'd perform terribly.  It already lags quite badly whenever I move cells...

Very cool! Smart way to "dynamically" code an editor file. I'm not an expert by any means (more data side than development), but Excel VBA has a poor editor and is less intuitive with variables. And that's before Excel gets very squirrely with large data sets and starts to freeze, crash, or give inconsistent results.

Anyway, excited to see how you get on with the grand experiment!

• 3 weeks later...

Right, happy new year and all that.  I know I said I'd have the file ready for the New Year, but after my eyes got bigger than my brain, I've gone down a bit of a sidetrack.  After hating the fact that the "World Cup" for this edit would be between 15 teams (I mean, come on...15?  What a stupid number), I decided to add a second continents full of teams, replacing South America.  But then I ran into several issues that came along with replacing such an important continent.  I didn't get as many of those when replacing Oceania, so I've fallen back on that.

I won't go into the rest of the issues (there's still some outstanding) but I've gotten to the point where I've generated files containing around 680 (I think) clubs, each with 25 generated players, playing across 15 nations.  The test file is still running while I'm at work, but had reached 2030 this morning, so expect it'll probably be around the 2050 mark later on.  Just a few competition changes to make then we can get started.

One question though - is there anything in particular people would like me to cover in detail before things get started?  I'm not sure what format updates will take, but if there's a feature people would like me to cover I'll see what I can do.

Just an idea:

Using any in game editor(free version of one should suffice, could you give us the names of say 20 u-18 players with highest potential(in random order) and some of us can choose to adopt one player each(give them a custom nickname?) Then maybe you could keep updating on these players? 

Again, just an idea...

Just now, Sankalan said:

Just an idea:

Using any in game editor(free version of one should suffice, could you give us the names of say 20 u-18 players with highest potential(in random order) and some of us can choose to adopt one player each(give them a custom nickname?) Then maybe you could keep updating on these players? 

Again, just an idea...

Maybe later in the save.  To be honest, I wouldn't need an editor, as every player I've added to the game has a fixed PA.  Going back through the logs would give me a decent enough idea.  I believe there may be some really weirdly generated ones with like 1 CA and 200 PA.  The algorithm was a bit flaky.  I think out of about 12000 players created, around 150 have a super high PA, but they may well have an absolutely terrible CA to go along with it.  And I've been fairly agnostic about who these players are (helps that each time they're generated they're given a random name).

Once the save's a bit more mature and I know what issues are out there, I'll probably introduce new things like that.  Until then, there's always the trials and tribulations of the clubs you all created.

Y4qXpEp.png

A New World : Ceres Rises

It's finally time to begin - you have no idea how bored I am of looking at that ****ing editor...

OLOe20s.png

So you've already seen a bit about each nation, but that was all high-level stuff about the history.  This is the first time we've had a look at the actual nation in-game.  No reason for picking Astarya first, apart from wanting to tell you a little bit about what's custom for each nation.   Basically, it all is.  The only part that isn't is the rivalries.  They were an absolute ball-ache to set up using the script, and I didn't get around to going back and setting them manually.  This wouldn't be a problem, or so I thought, because New Zealand (replaced by Eria) have rivals Australia and South Africa.  Oh well, don't think it should affect too much.

Outside of that, everything you see is completely custom.  Every nation has its own language, with varying degrees of difficulty.  They are all also part of something called the Ceres Agreement.  This is a construct put in place to make sure teams cannot sign anyone from outside of Velusia (and Ceres in general).   Every squad has a limit of zero foreigners set, but everyone from continental Velusia is considered non-foreign.  That should mean the clubs don't go shopping outside these shores, but unfortunately I found no way to stop the reverse happening.  At some point we may see players leaving Velusia for the "real" world.  Unfortunate, but unavoidable.  Also annoying that I couldn't set up different foreign rules per nation, but hey ho.  It'll do for now.

Every single club has had 24 players generated, all holding the nationality of their club.  The CA values are weighted towards the reputation of the club (with some randomness thrown in) and the PA is a function based slightly on rep but mostly on age.  There will be some pretty surprising players in there, and even I haven't really scratched the surface on what players my algorithms generated.

League systems will be covered in a lot more detail in later posts, but unfortunately there is still reference to any competition that lived in the nation that it replaced.  I did try and hide these but that led to a lot of crashes.  Same with making clubs extinct, but they're pretty well hidden. 

One more thing, World Rankings have been completely reset for the new nations, all on zero points.  They still take part in the main FIFA World Rankings, alongside real nations, but I'll only be concentrating on continental rankings (the World Rankings but just for Velusia).  There is nothing to stop nations playing the real ones in friendlies, but I think the packed schedule will stop that.  They have their own competitions, which will be revealed later.

Y4qXpEp.png

Player Update

Now I very briefly mentioned players and how they're being generated, but haven't really given any examples of it.  So below you'll find examples of what the game considers "top players" for each nation.  No idea what criteria 

North Azura - Lee Chapman

Saint Elias City - Sean Beesley

Pinemarsh - Matt Machin

South Azura - Neil Goode

Recalada - Alberto Barja

Montaria - Neil Whitehorne

Pinemarsh - Jimmy Barton

Gobia - Dean Bloomfield

Aurelia - Daniel Norman

Cyrasia - Terry Saric

Ferrous Isles - Ricci Hill

Eria - Tim Bothwell

Astarya - Danny Makasini

The Winterlands - Mark Ryder

Albini - Callum Metham

Y4qXpEp.png

Early Season Blues

I've decided that the best way to showcase this save in the early years will be to take it month-by-month, showing you how each league system is going on, along with any big events that month.  In the first year, I'll probably just cover league systems, a few per month, then some bumper updates as we come to the end.  With absolutely no history set up for teams, it's going to take a little while for the really interesting things to unfold.  The teams who look unbeatable, the plucky underdogs, the big stories.  As each one comes up though, they'll be covered.

My eventual plan is to jump into management once I find a particular story I want to tell.  Or I may just jump into a journeyman career starting at the very bottom and trying to be Velusia's next son.  Also, I'm going to continue working on version 2 of this database with a view to perhaps moving towards it in the latter stages of FM17, or maybe just keeping it warm for FM18.  I'll also probably open it up to others to have a go at if anyone's interested.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so without further pish, here's the first update.

March 2016

"Although North and South Azura were borne out of a fairly heated split of what was originally just called Azura, relations are far more cordial in the present day.  As a result, every December a festival occurs along the banks of the Azure River bringing the two sides together"

So where do we begin?  Well, why not with the most prestigious tournaments on offer?

Vz5IQGC.png

The Velusian Champions League is THE competition for club sides to get involved in.  My thinking in creating this was to have one competition where the real Champions were involved with no-one else.  16 teams, 15 national champions and the winner of the previous year's tournament.  I wasn't going to put the latter in, but having a tournament of 15 teams is a not very nice number.  This gives us a nice 16, and a much easier organised competition.  At the end of March, we can't really tell much, but going by these first games, South Azuri Champions Murlayfield United, Astari-based Olympique Chione and Recalada toppers Ferreros Rochet (with this team, you are spoiling us) are looking like early favourites.  

The group stage involves 6 games, everyone playing each other twice, before moving on to the quarter finals.  We'll revisit this over the summer when the stage completes.

nUvQpvG.png

But the Champions League is far from the only trophy teams are going for.  March also saw the beginnings of two others.  First, the Velusian Trophy.  This is something completely different.  I initially had plans for a 32 team tournament, made up of various sides around the continent.  Then I wanted a knockout with every team on the continent (outside of ones that qualified for the others).  That was going to be a bit of a nightmare, so I've compromised on having one with every top tier club from every country around Velusia.  That's 187 teams involved in the competition, so as you can imagine, it's quite a journey.

The first round happened in March, with the lowest ranked sides in the draw thinning out the herd so the remaining 128 can go at it.  

j3GEVkE.png

Finally, we have the Cup Winners Cup.  Pretty self explanatory, really.  Similar to the Champions League, we have 15 clubs qualifying through winning their national cup competition, then the current holder making up the 16.  

This is, reputation-wise, a bigger deal than the Trophy is, but with a straight knockout format and only 16 teams, it's a fairly short journey.

Astarya

Rx6bBkM.png

Our first nation to round up is Astarya.  A fairly simple league system, with a slight twist.  With only fourteen teams, you'd be forgiven for thinking this would be a short season.  Not so, unfortunately, with each team playing each other twice, home and away, then splitting the league into two.  Teams then play each side in their "half" another twice, home and away again, making 36 games.  3 teams are relegated, making the bottom half of the table quite dangerous to be in for those last 12 games.

lkNxg6k.png

geIBpvL.png

No such split nonsense in the two lower leagues of Astari football, with Zweitliga sides only playing 26 games, and Drittenliga sides playing 34.  3 are promoted from the second tier, with 4 being relegated into the third tier, and 4 more being relegated from there into the wilderness of Astari football.

P1oUnAe.png

And here is that wilderness.  Amateur football for the most part, although there's still clear quality to be had.  Four are promoted each year, none relegated.  If you finish bottom here, it's just the wooden spoon for you.  For now.

422WQ0q.png

AGN5cpG.png

But it isn't over yet!  I talked earlier about youth football in Velusia, and here's your first example.  The two Jugendliga structures involve youth affiliate clubs for some of the bigger clubs in the land.  There is no promotion from the 1st league, but there is movement between the first and second tiers of these youth leagues.  The real purpose of these teams is - theoretically - to be able to produce high quality youths for the parent clubs.

Further to these leagues, there is obviously a cup competition (AFL Pokal) and a Super Cup competition (AFL Schutzen).  There's also a youth-only cup in the offing too.

Cyrasia

9pH4h4K.png

I0bgMUi.png

eWoNvWv.png

Slightly less complex in the land of Cyrasia.  Three leagues of the same size, all playing each other twice for 34 games.

Not much else to say about it at this stage - early days yet.  There's the standard cup/super cup combination there also.

Albini and Eria

nPby3R9.png

PLw19Mz.png

Finally for March, we have the twins.  Albini and Eria.  Very close neighbours, both small nations, so both of them share a league system.

Well, kind of.  The Northern island is Albini, so all the clubs based on the island take part in the Northern League.  Conversely, Erian sides play in the South.  Both groups play each other four times, before a national Champion is declared,  The two winners then playoff in a bloody battle to determine the victor.  Or a game of football.  It all depends on what Health and Safety say really.  Again, there's a cup competition and a Super Cup early in the season.

This is very well done! Flags, club names, league systems all look awesome so far, and I'm really happy to see my Cliffsedge Town in the game for Aurelia. Very much looking forward to seeing how this plays out in all of these nations. I'm doing something like this myself, but with only one country, so it gives me a bit more incentive to trudge through all the boring work and get to seeing the results as you are now. Cheers!

2 hours ago, clarkehwbu said:

Great work! Will this ever be available for us as a download?

I mentioned briefly earlier that I would continue to work on v2 of the database, and at that point I'll probably make it available publicly.  This one is probably good enough for me to use as a construct for a story/career, but others would probably find far more jarring problems with it.  At this stage I'm not really up for a thread full of "club x is showing the wrong attendance" and "why is a club from y competing in competition z?".  I started a thread in the editors forum for a very early version of this, and all you really get is "any update", and impatience.  At this stage I'm not up for that.  Version 2 will hopefully expand to the continent of Atherone and be a lot more robust.  That'll be made available hopefully.

4 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Looking forward to seeing my team do well!

10 hours ago, oriole01 said:

This is very well done! Flags, club names, league systems all look awesome so far, and I'm really happy to see my Cliffsedge Town in the game for Aurelia. Very much looking forward to seeing how this plays out in all of these nations. I'm doing something like this myself, but with only one country, so it gives me a bit more incentive to trudge through all the boring work and get to seeing the results as you are now. Cheers!

I'll cover Aurelia in its own post, as it's probably the most complex system out of them.  A quick comment though - it's very much like Brazil.  We have State Championships that clubs compete in during Spring/Summer, before the actual league takes place in the second half.  Around the summertime I'll report on Aurelia so you can all see how your teams did.

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

I mentioned briefly earlier that I would continue to work on v2 of the database, and at that point I'll probably make it available publicly.  This one is probably good enough for me to use as a construct for a story/career, but others would probably find far more jarring problems with it.  At this stage I'm not really up for a thread full of "club x is showing the wrong attendance" and "why is a club from y competing in competition z?".  I started a thread in the editors forum for a very early version of this, and all you really get is "any update", and impatience.  At this stage I'm not up for that.  Version 2 will hopefully expand to the continent of Atherone and be a lot more robust.  That'll be made available hopefully.

Thanks man, it's your hard work and I bet that would get annoying, i'm happy to sit and read your playthrough

Y4qXpEp.png

April 2016

"The national dish of the Ferrous Isles is a sort of thick soup, made from potatoes, garlic and whatever fish have been caught that day off the shore.  It's often said that if you can't stand your spoon up in the bowl, you should send it back"

It's Azura time, as we visit both the North and South parts.

3dx1W3u.png

The Premier League is fairly straightforward, and mirrors the Scottish Premier League in real life.  This was pretty intentional, as in the early days North Azura was an allegory for Scotland and South Azura was England.  Teams play each other three times, then the league splits in two.  Not ideal, as it'll mean uneven splits of home/away games, but...well, welcome to Scotland!

vYepZng.png

YLXDGQr.png

uSbxGgq.png

deF1shI.png

A similar story for the four divisions below the premier, although no splits involved.  Teams play each other four times in all four divisions, meaning a massive 56 games in the 5th tier of the country.  Well, they weren't doing anything else, were they?

HF6Snil.png

I talked about the Academy system earlier, and here's our first example of it.  Astarya have something similar with their Jugen teams, but not quite the same.  These teams represent the biggest cities in the country, and have state-of-the-art facilities.  Their sole purpose will be to take players in as part of their intakes, and develop them to the age of 21.  At this point, they become ineligible for the club, and will hopefully move on - if they haven't already - to better things.

4W7Civn.png

South Azura was once modelled after the English league system, and it shows.   20 teams, 38 games, job done.  Murlayfield United are the big side in the country, although they're not pulling away quite as I expected them to.

Etv2Sp7.png

6TdwKXY.png

uVjLyfw.png

Once again, straight play-each-other-twice stuff in the lower leagues, right down to the South Azuri Conference.  No relegation from there, but in the higher ones, it's mostly 4 up, 4 down until you reach the Championship, then 3 from there.

6clebVq.png

Once again, we have a youth Championship involving the 12 Professional Academies set up in South Azura.    But...

3kJq6C3.png

It's not the only one.  16 further cities applied and got their own academies.  At time of setup, they are of identical quality to the ones above them, so we should be in for a quite competitive system there.  

VKc7eTn.png

And now for something completely different.

Saint Elias City is the smallest one on the continent, but don't expect them to be Gibraltar.  There are considerable TV deals in place that see these clubs get quite rich in test saves.  Whether I've overdone that remains to be seen.

So why are all the clubs iterations of each other?  Well, it's all because of Elias Escot Kinkaid, the man who was responsible for the independence of the walled nation.  Basically, he is God in these parts, hence why every club pretty much bears his name in some way or another.

Despite their special nature, the league isn't.  Teams play each other 4 times for a 28 game season.  There are also Cup and Super Cup competitions, and also a kind of "winner-stays-on" arrangement with the Saint Elias Invitational.  We start off with two random teams, then each subsequent game involves the winners of the previous taking on a randomly selected challenger.  These run from April to September, once a month.  Should be interesting to see what kind of streaks go on in this competition.

hZ6LPo1.png

On the Ferrous Isles, the league system is a particularly new one.  I had initially lumped these nations in as part of the North Azuri system, but as the database developed, I ended up having enough clubs to make a league that stands on its own.  This is that league.

Perhaps an odd arrangement though.  12 teams, but only 33 games, with each playing the other 3 times.  An uneven distribution of home and away games, but it was thought that being such a small nation, travel wasn't going to be an issue.

897R7bg.png .

cgOfrwt.png

And finally for this month, Gobia.

A straight 12/16 league system, but not a predictable number of games.  The top tier plays 44, and the lower tier plays 60.  I know, madness.  It's a mistake, to be honest, the lower league shouldn't be playing so many, but oh well.

Archived