[FM17] The Hart Chronicles - Volume II: Adam Hart is 'Yes Man'!

PaulHartman71

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

409ef36e7a927f8a51bbdc19d89704f8.png

We did everything we could to win the title as we beat Afan Lido 2-0 at home, even in spite of Aaron Goodwin stupidly getting sent off just before half-time. I was absolutely fuming at that point as TNS were still drawing at half-time so I thought his sending off would potentially cost us the title, but we sat back real defensively in the second half and somehow managed to hold on. Unfortunately Haverfordwest did not hang on and TNS scored two goals that massively saved them from huge embarrassment and bottling the title. 

70feff77bce311ce4404699afee1b631.png

So we unfortunately end the season just 1 point away from winning the title on goal difference. As unexpected as this late charge at the title is, it's hard not to look back on pre-split games like the draw at home and away to Carmarthen and the loss at Bangor City, as if we turned either Carmarthen game into a win or the Bangor City loss into a draw then we would have won it. We have at least secured Europa League without a Playoff and and the 2nd place finish is still Port Talbot's best ever finish in the competition. 

Season 20: Port Talbot Town

31b7905e4b064c35497af99708388f4e.png

It's certainly been an eventful season. Overall a good one I would say as we had an impressive little run of games in Europe, won the Welsh League Cup and surprisingly came ever so close to winning the title. I'm satisfied with finishing 2nd this year and hope we can actually have a go at TNS more next season. 

Squad

Carl Pockett and Gavin Fitzpatrick actually ended up joint-top scorers, with 16 goals each. James Sprudd on a free transfer was a crazy good signing, he was an absolute wall at CB and is a very good player for this level, we'll do well to hang onto him in the near future as I could see him getting snapped up by some English clubs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season     Club                 Division                               Position      Achievements/Other
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League          8th         Eastern Counties League Cup winners
2017/18    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League         11th         Left in November
2017/18    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         13th         N/A
2018/19    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         10th         Left in December 
2018/19    Carlton Town         United Counties Premier League           8th         United Counties League Cup runners-up. Sacked. 
2019/20    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                      3rd         Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy winners
2020/21    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                     17th         Left in November 
2020/21    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   11th         N/A
2021/22    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   17th         Left in December
2021/22    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        13th         N/A
2022/23    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        18th         Left in January
2022/23    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N   7th         N/A
2023/24    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Sacked in November
2023/24    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S          12th         Joined in January
2024/25    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S           3rd         Left in March
2024/25    Canvey Island        Isthmian League Premier Division        23rd         Relegated 
2025/26    Canvey Island        Isthmian League 1st Division N          23rd         Sacked in November
2025/26    Farsley Celtic       Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Joined in January
2026/27    Farsley Celtic       Northern Premier League 1st Division N   5th         Left in March
2026/27    Stourbridge          Northern League Premier Division        21st         Relegated
2027/28    Stourbridge          Southern League 1st Division C           5th         Promoted via Playoffs 
2028/29    Stourbridge          Southern League Premier Division        15th         Left in November
2028/29    Lancaster City       Northern League Premier Division        21st         Relegeted. Sacked. 
2029/30    Southport            Northern League Premier Division        14th         N/A
2030/31    Southport            Northern League Premier Division         5th         Left in April 
2030/31    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         3rd         Lost in Playoff Final
2031/32    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         2nd         Lost in Playoff Final
2032/33    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         6th         Left in January 
2032/33    Port Talbot Town     Welsh Premier League                     8th         N/A
2033/34    Port Talbot Town     Welsh Premier League                     3rd         Qualified for Europa League via Playoff
2034/35    Port Talbot Town     Welsh Premier League                     5th         Welsh Cup winners
2035/36    Port Talbot Town     Welsh Premier League                     2nd         Welsh League Cup winners

Trophy Cabinet

Eastern Counties League Cup    x1 - 2016/17 (Ipswich Wanderers) 
Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy x1 - 2019/20 (Basildon United) 

Welsh Cup                      x1 - 2034/35 (Port Talbot Town)
Welsh League Cup               x1 - 2035/36 (Port Talbot Town)

Edited by PaulHartman71

The board wasted little time in offering me a new one year contract, no wage rise but I did manage to get the get out clause down to 40 percent, so maybe that will convince a club to come in for me more maybe. 

ac2db75107f48e5eb756bba9b57180c9.png

Cool to see the go to quote is now our elimination of FH :cool:

Mourinho's Man United side retained the Premier League title this season, with Man City ending up 8 points behind them in 2nd. Arsenal and Chelsea made up the rest of the top 4. Arsenal fans wouldn't have been too disappointed though, as they beat Mourinho's side 2-1 in the Champions League final. 

Elsewhere, Plymouth fans will be pleased as their side won the League 1 Playoffs to go up to the Championship. Salford City's first attempt at League 2 life didn't go too well, they picked up just 28 points and finished rock bottom. Finally, Joe Hart will be a very happy chappy, as after 12 years in the Conference North with Solihull Moors he has finally got them promoted to the Conference. 

dc8ca0d9aab1fd53bc15282e8064c205.png

We moved up some places in the European Club rankings, although still nowhere near the level we need to be seeded in the Europa League. 

500854e028894956121de98173b41274.png

Good news for the Welsh coefficient as we move back up high enough to get a spot in the 2nd Qualifying Phase of the CL. 

We've got TNS in the Champions League of course, then us, Playoff winners Airbus and the now 2nd tier Carmarthen Town who beat Afan Lido in the Welsh Cup final. A big blow to Afan Lido who would be kicking themselves, also annoying for everyone else as Afan Lido would surely have done better than Carmarthen will end up doing. 

The draw for the Europa League 1st Qualifying Round has been made and we will be heading back to Iceland, however we'll be playing our first game at home this time. 

3d3b5ddfda39ad8856d18fb3b4d32a6a.png

I'm not sure what to expect from Starjnan. I don't think they're as good as FH as FH regularly win the Icelandic PL whereas Starjnan haven't since the game begun. I'm expecting a tough set of games, but they're also only a Semi-Pro club and for us they represented a decent draw compared to the likes of Rangers, APOEL and Ludogorets as we could have drawn all 3 of them instead. 

4894081a794c4092015b7694b2379320.png

Another famous night in Europe for Port Talbot! In all honesty I thought Stjarnan were pretty poor and we had far more chances in this match than we did in two legs against FH. We took the lead when Leonard put in a lovely ball and a completely unmarked Fitzpatrick slotted home to give us a surprise early advantage, it sort of shook Starjnan and we had a spell of constant pressure in the first half which to be honest we could have done with taking advantage of. I was pleased we kept a clean sheet as they didn't get an away goal, which means if we can score past them in Iceland, we have a real chance of progressing. I actually think we can do it this time because they really aren't thaat good a side and I don't think their fitness levels are as good as ours. 

72199c0c9a9f46fbd63e7394554f6745.png

Airbus narrowly lost 1-0 at Shamrock Rovers which has probably put them out as I can't see them coming back from that without an away goal. 

d8903914a0aa408c9b600dd344d61c91.png

It was in-fact the recently relegated Carmarthen Town who pulled their weight for the Welsh coefficient, as they came from 2-0 down to get a decent draw against their Macedonian opposition. I think they'll struggle in the 2nd leg since they conceded two away goals, but fair play to them anyway for getting a draw on the night. 

11 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

176ee9ae98ff9457dc861c2af2d4a6f7.png

Gerry-May Winstanley is a 20 year old MRC who has joined us on loan from Championship side Barnsley. He'll be a good rotation player this season, he signed just 2 days before the 2nd leg so obviously won't be eligible for selection in that game. 

You signed him purely for the letters on his shirt for the fans to buy, didn't you?  :D

c5a7d6c2f66420324c5f91f8e16a6e4e.png

We've made the 2nd Qualifying Round for a second year in a row! Carl Pockett gave us an early away goal which put us in a really strong position, as Stjarnan needed 3 goals at that point to get past us. They couldn't even get one as we defended really well and stuck to our defensive game plan which worked a treat. I'm quite warming to Iceland now...

2fa76fe0d0b9ea32ad0cc10336236c04.png

Carmarthen had a lot to do in Macedonia and unfortunately they couldn't do much, they didn't even get a draw which would've helped both theirs and the Welsh coefficient. Oh well. 

664106ab49e9683113ab7d4fcb98e301.png

Airbus did at least get a draw, although a real shame they couldn't find a winner to at least drag it to extra-time or something. 

Edited by PaulHartman71

046b81eb2f04b7de6a582d5498622bbe.png

Unbelievable scenes in the first leg. We hold tight and frustrate them for the entire game, then Gerry May-Winstanley comes on for his debut in the 80th minute, just 5 minutes later he bangs in a winner from a rebound. I don't think the Swedes knew what hit them! 

This career is suddenly going places now! All those years learning the trade in the English lower-lower-lowest-leagues seem to be paying off now! Spectacular scenes to nearly win the title and to beat Göteborg! Hopefully you hold on for the return leg.

36351a2da05b3fbd7a94eecd5faccb38.png

We made a real game of it in Sweden for the 2nd leg. We were defensive as always in these Europa League games but had a lot more possession than I imagined and even managed to create quite a few chances due to Goteborg's very high line. Our keeper, Lewis Banks, had another great game in Europe but even he couldn't stop Goteborg's opening goal in the 24th minute. We were under pressure after that and despite having a lot of shots on target none of them were really testing Goteborg's keeper, although we did hit the bar just before half-time. 

Goteborg were all over us in the 2nd half and we were really hanging on for much of it, I was quite worried it would go to extra-time as our players were getting quite tired and I think Goteborg would've comfortably beaten us in extra-time. We managed to really break away in the 77th minute down the right hand side and I thought Buckley would be able to whip in a cross for Pennock or Fitzpatrick in the middle, but he was fouled and on first look I thought it would be a red, but their man didn't even get booked which I thought was crazy. Buckley got another chance to put in a cross though, with his free kick meeting Pennock in the middle, but he could only glance it across the box, at first it looked like nothing would come of it, but then almost from out of nowhere our CB James Sprudd appeared and hit a thunderous first time volley to send the ball in the net. Suddenly it was 1-1 on the night and Goteborg needed 2 goals if they wanted to get through. 

Naturally I went all out defence and completely parked the bus for the last 10 minutes hoping we'd be able to hold them off. Goteburg did come at us and had a few more good chances, but they couldn't get past Lewis Banks which meant against the odds we got past them to make the Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round!

46232b68685393876605326ddf863908.png

2 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

The draw has been made and we will once again play a Scandinavian side. It will be Aalborg of Denmark. 

****e team. You got this!

Also just started reading a long and what an amazing concept! :lol:

I like the story-link up with father and son too. I've only had the joy of getting one son i FM ever, but what an experience it is.

Edited by Benjoe

45bf9337e0f9b4849dc40e9f54da47c4.png

Aalborg definitely gave us more of a game than Goteborg did. They had far more possession and shots than we did but thankfully Lewis Banks was in good form to keep the scoreline down. Aalborg did take the lead after 20 minutes with a powerful strike that he couldn't keep out, but we went into half-time 1-0 down knowing all we needed was a goal to get through. We had some half chances but nothing too concrete and then in the 52nd minute Aaron Goodwin made a silly tackle that got him booked, with the trouble being that he'd already been booked in the first half, so we ended up playing the last 40 minutes or so with just 10 men. This helped Aalborg massively and they outplayed us even more with the advantage, but we still kept in the game and stopped them from scoring. Unfortunately we couldn't quite get that late equaliser. 

3f854458e0fe762c1366b7560e0ad255.png

It's hard to say whether we could have found that goal if Goodwin hadn't been sent off, but considering we stayed in the game with 10 men we for sure had a chance. Either way I'm incredibly proud of the run we have had and even if we have had favourable draws to an extent, Goteborg and Aalborg are still teams who would've been very happy to draw a club like us and would've expected to go through without any trouble.