dafuge's FM17 challenge

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kettering Town

Profile | Squad | Tactic | Table | Finances

Season 1

This is my second try the first one didn't go so well and by the second season I was sacked for losing 10 matches straight.

Now  I could really go for another team and try my luck but I became fond of Kettering and their players. So i started again, holyday man all year and by the time I got to the 24th a lot of surprises.

So with this new team lots of players weren't there anymore and the best player a Target man Rene Howe was getting poached by a upper division team.  Last season everyone scored against us really easy, I tried a counter tactic but we were really poor on definition and crossing. So i went into the defensive side with a 4-3-3-0The best players were the left backs and a fast pace poacher. 

We ended up on the 18th place according to the board expections of avoiding relegation. We got 24 draws, which is great since we defended pretty well but failed to capitalize on anything.

Got out of the cups early.

Season 2

So after doing a really bad first season I began to get a feel on players in the league. Asked the board for improvements on staff and scout team.

By the end of season 1 I found out that I had a bad apple and my whole team was losing determination even getting bad at training. 

So I had to re do the team almost from the ground and sacked everyone with low det and bad personality. 

In the end only three players stayed 2 veterans (Howell and Sokohl) and one youth (Wilson Carvalho). 

This was my squad at the end of the season 2:

lw1r0fS.jpg

Most of them were young who only needed a team and playtime to grow. Most of them did. Especially my defenders and leftback. Who now at this right moment doesnt want to renew their contracts since they feel they outgrow the team.

It doesnt matter because the star of the team was a scrawny looking 17 year old who was free but had decent finish of 12 and grew at the end to 15.

He became my top scorer and if he hadnt injured he could have won the top scorer of the league I had already signed him for 2 years.

PKwQS0H.jpg

My tactic this year was simpler:

pLbnoaY.jpg

A simple 4-1-4-1 which I adjusted depending on how the opponent setup was.

This is the end of Season 2 table.

Avto3Gu.jpg

We did vastly better but at the end my wonderkid got injured and we lost a lot of firepower he end up missing the top scorer mark by 2 goals.

Season    League            Finish   Achievements
2019/20   Vanarama North    --      --
2018/19   Vanarama North    10th     Midtable
2017/18   Vanarama North    18th   	Avoided Relegation

First season done.....and it resulted in over 100 goals and promotion (via the play offs)

I had a massive blip in the middle of the season - was knocked out of FA Trophy in 1st round by Harrogate whilst on a good run and then ended up picking up just 12 points from next 12 games - whilst conceding 28 goals in the process.

Ended the season on a fantastic run of form, not losing in the last 11 games or the play offs scoring a bucket load of goals - ended the season equalling the goal record with 103. Most were scored by my strikers (Dumebi Dumaka 31, Charlie Dunkerley 26) and average rating wise in the league I had 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 11th, 15th and 19th so was a pretty successful season.

A tad worried about my defence, conceded 68 goals in the league and a further 5 in the play offs (4-3. 1-1, 2-1)...and my finances are terrible I lost the best part of £400k and am now 350k in the red. My wage budget is still a measly £11k for next season so will struggle to even keep hold of players let alone bring anyone in! Two poor cup runs didn't help and my FA Cup defeat to lowly Alfreton was very frustrating (and undeserved)

Annoyingly I thought I had youths set up to sign but didn't so missed out on my whole intake. Was at a really tense time of the season and was only focussing on games so have missed out on that whole intake, don't even know if they were any good!

Any tips for trying to step up to Vanarama National will be greatly appreciated!

Season	|       League	      |     Position	   	|    Cups	                     |      Top scorer      |    Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18	|   Vanarama North    | 3rd (Won Play Offs)	| FA 3rd Qual; Trophy 1st round  |  Dumebi Dumaka (35)   |   Promoted

EDIT - My ground needs upgrading - will cost £125k which is being covered half by a loan and half by a grant...will end up taking the ground from approx 3k to 4k.....although average attendance was less than 1,000

BARWELL

BarwellFC.png

Season 17/18

Transfers - (notice the scroll bar:eek:) - Non-contracts turn me into a HR nightmare. The temptation of signing slightly better players than the ones I have is too much. The squad eventually turned into a team full of players far too good for NLS/N and would probably see me do well in the league above should they stick with me and not take a guaranteed weekly wage elsewhere.

League Table  - Looked more flattering than it felt like during most of the season. Telford were right on my tail and even overtook me with ten games to go but they subsequently went into free-fall and had two wins in the final 11 games of the season

Cups - They weren't particularly kind draws for such early rounds but was disappointed in the results. My tactics and squad weren't quite there at that stage of the season.

Squad - Three people sharing the top goalscorer position with a paltry 12. Players like Dawson, Piccolo and Goddard made this league a stroll in the park. Won't have things so easy from now on I expect.

Finances - Helped with a 70k cash injection. Paying players in appearance money only really helped not going into the red too much. The required Stadium Expansion is a nuisance and we will be sharing the same ground with our fierce rivals Nuneaton.

Next season goals - If I can keep a similar quality squad going over the summer transfer window, I hope to establish myself as a top half side..maybe even get into a playoff place. Would also love to get a cup run going this time.

Season	|       League	      | Position |    Europe	  |        Top Scorer          |    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18	|   Vanarama North    |  1st	 |      N/A 	  |Williams,Driessen,Duffus(12)|   Promoted as champions, VNN Manager of season

IzTihxZ.png

First Quarter Review

sV29aam.png

The curse of the commentator struck when I praised Demetri Brown and said it was his breakthrough season, three minutes into the first game he tore his Achilles and was lost for the season. Despite that we opened the season with a 2-0 win but it was a false dawn. The 4-3-2-1 formation wasn't really cutting it and it soon became clear that I needed to revert back to a solid 4-4-2 to create some more scoring chances. As I feared I was woefully short in the forward department and was hardly having any shots. A run of five winless games ensued where the defence was holding out but the lack of goals finally told. All that turned round when my Chief Scout finally found me a decent forward; Danico Johnson arrived on a season's loan from Reddich. Johnson bagged a brace in each of his first three games as Town picked up two wins and a draw. We crashed out of the FA cup to lower league opposition, Frickley Athletic, when I paid for making seven changes. We slumped to 17th in the table after our tenth league game as the team seemed out of sorts at home to Blyth. The changes in the cup appeared to have disrupted the side's cohesion and the visitors won 5-1 in our heaviest defeat of the season. The board isn't worried just about the finances but our pre-season balance of £39,000 has been used up by the wage bill and we are now £962 in the red.

Table | Player stats |Finances | past positions

Lowestoft Town | Vanarama National | Season Five

[url=http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/400086242641428300/EB2DA8BE44CF92C65F1A05592FDAE94EAF54D186/]Table[/url] sub-par from us, the lack of quality when it comes to signing players is showing, this led to us not doing so well.

Finances Cup runs were vital here.

Transfers we were actually able to spend money on players.

Squad a lot of these players are on non-contract terms, which in the short term will help us financially, but they will not improve at all.

Tyler Cordner best player at the club by miles, won't last the 90 but I dont care, really good signing for us.

Tommy Oakley one of own kids, decent potential for a Target Man, but that isn't saying much in non league football.

[url=http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/400086242641429155/33EC21290CC8CC16EC372B49B4B5D5814269FC86/]Jubril Adedeji[/url] continued where he left off from last season.

45 minutes ago, mogilvie said:

Spent the evening trying to get Merstham to show in the new leagues - they didn't show up in 100+ attempts!!  May have to rethink the team I will manage!!

You might have a better chance if you sim another season.

2 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

Just make sure you get the save - reload point right.

I ran a season to 24 June, and saved at that point.   The rolled it forward by a day (far too many times to remember) in the hope of getting Merstham, but to no avail.  Will repeat the same thing tonight. 

Is it totally random who promotes, or is it weighted more towards the stronger teams in the leagues below North/South?  Given Merstham are probably one of the weaker sides, I am guessing their odds of being "picked" to be promoted are  lower?

11 minutes ago, mogilvie said:

Is it totally random who promotes, or is it weighted more towards the stronger teams in the leagues below North/South?  Given Merstham are probably one of the weaker sides, I am guessing their odds of being "picked" to be promoted are  lower?

After the first season it's the teams that are in the leagues who have promotion. I think it's a list somewhere in this thread. After that other team may occur. If I'm not mistaken it's weighted towards the higher reputation teams to get promoted up. So a team with a high reputation will get promoted more often than a lower reputation team. Of course it's some randomness in there, so if you are looking for a specific team just pray to RNGsus.

I think I was a bit lucky to get Grays after only a few reloads, getting anyone lower than that is going to take a lot of luck. You might never see any of the 1500 reputation teams from that league seeing they are the weakest teams. A few teams of that level or lower have come up from the other two feeder leagues.

Have you seen Worthing or AFC Sudbury?

Starting out with Chesham! Took me forever to get a club below 1500 that someone hadn't already claimed, but I did it! Looks like I'm immediately going to have to fix major depth issues, we only have 11 men on the squad in total and 4 of them are right backs...

6 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I think I was a bit lucky to get Grays after only a few reloads, getting anyone lower than that is going to take a lot of luck. You might never see any of the 1500 reputation teams from that league seeing they are the weakest teams. A few teams of that level or lower have come up from the other two feeder leagues.

Have you seen Worthing or AFC Sudbury?

I just got an AFC Sudbury save while seeing what teams I could get.

11 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Hypamiz, hopefully you can turn it around. Do you think you would survive a relegation without being sacked?

Balahara, well done on the promotion and winning the league.

I'm not entirely sure. I hope they would stick with me. Relegation is looking probable unless I pull off some miracle.  I am 7 points adrift at the half way point. I have decided to abandon my 442 and attempt a 4231 to try and recover this situation. If it doesn't work hopefully I can rebuild next season should I avoid the sack!

4 hours ago, Quasar said:

Starting out with Chesham! Took me forever to get a club below 1500 that someone hadn't already claimed, but I did it! Looks like I'm immediately going to have to fix major depth issues, we only have 11 men on the squad in total and 4 of them are right backs...

Nice!

I tried a few (several/dozen) times to get Merstham, but no hope.  So have started with a team just along the M25/A25 with the Tonbridge Angels.  If Merstham turn up when leagues update themselves in the next few seasons, I may be tempted to drop back down & take over. 

Currently 6 games in, with 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses.  Tough going, with players arriving/departing left, right and centre!

Kingstonian: Summary of season 17/18 and catch up to season 18/19

Kingstonian.png

In our second year we managed to finish 5 positions above first year (16th to 11th). We played badly though, I couldn't get my counter attacking 4-4-2 to work but I gave it a shot for a whole year. We were better, but we weren't playing the way I wanted. The only player who stood out of this average season was Jordan Cox. A defensive forward, who was clossing down defenders for 90 minutes week in, week out, scored important goals and was always there for a good cross. He scored 16 goals (our top goalscorer), had 9 assists (also first in that category) and had the best avg.rating in the club with 7.20. Unfortunately, the following year he lost his place to Jamie Soule who already has 8 goals in 11 games.

2017-18 League table | Finances: -250k (-650k overall)

Our third year started with a huge change of tactics. I decided to play the style I really like, which I also apply in the top leagues. Clossing down, creative football with movement and direct runs from our good players. Something like this year's Liverpool. Bellow there are some stats from our third year in dafuge's challenge:

2018-19 League Table (after 9 games) | Team Statistics | Active Squad

I hope I can get a playoff spot and fight my way to Vanarama National. I'm having a great time in this challenge, one of my most exciting saves ever and I play since FM06. Thank you @dafuge!!

Kingstonian - Vanarama National League - Season 2019/20

League Table - well this was a shock, lost our front 2 in the first game of the season (Gordon for 7 months with a broken leg and Williams for a month) and lost 4 of our first 5 games saw me change from my 442 to a 451/433 however you want to call it, this seemed to tighten out defence and saw us start to win, by the new year we were in the battle for the playoffs (never close to the title) and in the end we got in easily. In the semi we played Newport County (1 win 1 loss in the season) and a couple of late goals saw us win the home leg 3-1, in the 2nd leg a late goal from Gordon saw us sneak through after a 3-2 loss on the night. In the final we played AFC Fylde (2 wins in the season) and we continued that with Williams popping up with 2 goals after going 11 games without scoring to seal a 4-1 win and promotion.

FA Cup - just didn't turn up against a Barnet side that were rock bottom of league two

FA Trophy - a good run in this before meeting Fylde as they got their only victory of the season over us

Transfers - picked up players mainly let go by Premier League teams

Squad - we improved the full back area but still can't get a consistent goal keeper.

Finances - promotion has helped 

Key Players 

Kevin Owusu - bit player last 2 seasons but the change in formation give him a chance and boy did he take it

Jason Williams - not as many goals this year but still hit the 20 mark, refusing to talk about a new deal though 

Martin Hendon - DM we picked up from Chelsea became our rock with the change of formation

Aaron Barnes - picked up from Dulwich and he made the right back position his own

Ross Marshall - still our only consistent CB

Career Overview

Season		League		Position	Achievements

2017/18		VNS		13th		N/A
2018/19		VNS		4th		Promotion via playoffs
2019/20		VNL		4th		Promotion via playoffs

Next Season

Stay up.

Cheers, League Two might be tougher than I thought, last season we were spending around £6k a week, our wage budget went up to £8k a week but after end of season bonuses we're now spending nearly £9k a week so we can't even bring anyone in. Could really do with a takeover (a tycoon would be most welcome) 

2 hours ago, darren1983 said:

League Two might be tougher than I thought, last season we were spending around £6k a week, our wage budget went up to £8k a week but after end of season bonuses we're now spending nearly £9k a week so we can't even bring anyone in. Could really do with a takeover (a tycoon would be most welcome) 

Not to be obnoxious or anything, but my budget when I got promoted to League Two was around £100k...

In other news, I'm doing well in the Championship so far even though FM-time have restricted the last few days. 7 matches into the season and I'm in a playoff spot. Much can happen yet though, so nothing is certain.

18 minutes ago, XaW said:

Not to be obnoxious or anything, but my budget when I got promoted to League Two was around £100k...

In other news, I'm doing well in the Championship so far even though FM-time have restricted the last few days. 7 matches into the season and I'm in a playoff spot. Much can happen yet though, so nothing is certain.

Yeah I'm not bitter at all :( 

1 minute ago, Upside Down said:

It would be pretty ungrateful for them to sack you, two promotions surely outweigh one relegation.

Well my position is stable and they seem happy enough. I have another year on my contract so it would look like I am staying. Time to revamp the team and tactics etc and stabilize next seasons I think. 

Enfield_Town_F.C._logo.png

Enfield Town FC - Sky Bet League 2 - 2024/25

After promotion last season I was hopeful we could survive. We were by far and away the worst team in the league. Defensively we were awful as we conceded 93 goals. We scored 65 was more than the champions scored but we just couldn't defend. We never really looked like we could survive and we didnt put up a fight. I saw my main right winger for £450k + 40% of any future fee as his contract was running out and he wouldn't resign. I will be reshaping the team and adopting a new formation as I feel the 442 wont cut it at higher levels for me. I hope for a stable season next year so I can push for promotion the following season. 

League Table

Past Positions

Cups - Early exits in the EFl and FA Cup. We made it to round 3 in the Checkatrade trophy although I dont know if thats good as I do not understand the competition.

Squad - Not good enough for this level. Needs a big revamp starting with the defence. Also need to bring in some defensive midfielders.

Finances - £225k in debt despite a record transfer sale this season.

Key Player Profiles:

Neil Brock - 16 goals this season. Was upset half the season. May end up selling if the offer is right.

Samuel Boateng - Top scorer with 21 goals. Also making noises about moving.

Lea Stokes  - Only player with over 7.00 Average who played a decent amount of times. 

Next Season

Next season will be a transitional season so I just hope for stability and possibly a playoff push. Although I would be happy with top half. 

Career Overview

Season          League                      League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18         Vanarama South              9th                  
2018/19         Vanarama South              7th
2019/20         Vanarama South              8th
2020/21         Vanarama South              2nd               Playoff Winners
2021/22         Vanarama National           3rd               Playoff Finalist
2022/23         Vanarama National           7th               FA Trophy winners and FA Cup round 4
2023/24         Vanarama National           5th               Playoff Winner
2024/25         Sky Bet League 2            24th              Relegated

Getting to the business end of the season and the battle for playoff places is so packed. I recovered from an awful start to the season to get here as I was bottom after 11 games.

Just got the message everyone here hopes to see. Tycoon interested in Barwell.

Although next week I got a message that a regular consortium was making an offer, so maybe the tycoon takeover is finished.

Archived