Starting at the very bottom - tips

Hi all. First of all i have tried this save before with little success (might be down to lack of patience) but i was thinking of starting a long term save with my local side who play in the North West counties league (level 8 of English football). I was just posting to ask for any advice at managing at that level, progressing the club with such basic resources etc. My ambition is to get them to the Football League and untimately the PL. Will this be possible?

Thanks.

This is football. Anything is possible. :)  

I've never managed at that level myself (it is something I want to do eventually), but there is a LLM (Lower League Managers) forum on here that would provide ideas and assistance for you on this challenge.

I would imagine that you'll be recruiting mostly very young players and finding out for yourself if they're good enough through just giving them game time, with the first few seasons being committed to building a semi-professional squad good enough to get you up a few divisions.

Good luck.

Most definitely possible. I've done it before and it's a huge challenge.

I don't really have tips for you. Keep an eye an eye out in the lower leagues for free players who are top goal scorers/tacklers/etc. and try to snap them up.

Don't be afraid to have a large amount of non-contract players to choose from.

Setup friendlies to generate cash.

Pace is helpful at any level, but moreso at lower levels.  If you can get one or more pacy players that would be good.

Also don't go too complex with tactics, the players aren't good enough to do anything fancy.  

Be careful whom you give part time contracts to also, as your budget will be finite.  Maybe a first choice XI all on these contracts then the backups on a non-contract basis (a bit like IRL at Level 8).

ps north west counties is level 9.

level 5 - conf

level 6 - conf north/south

level 7 - evo stick prem

level 8 - evo stick regional

level 9 - north west counties

some good advice already on this thread. Here is what I do.

never pay transfer fees or wages, there are so many players available on a free, amateur contract who are good enough there is no need to spend anything.

scout, scout, scout and scout, look to get 100% knowledge of attributes. Attributes are so low, so look for double figures in key areas, and pace acceleration and strength are key to all positions. Decisions is good too.

your staff will be really poor, so ignore the stars and that. You will sign a player that your scout with jpa of 6 and jca of 5 rates as 5*, then your assistant report will put him at 2*. Make your own mind up.

financially with a squad of amateur players you will be printing money anyway, so pump it back into the club as often as you can. Facilities, junior coaching, recruitment, all not only help with the obvious, but also raise the rep of your club, meaning you can sign better players etc....

at this low level, greyed out players are worth a punt...

keep tactics very simple, but I still don't like using a limited role. Use cd(d), fb(d or s), cm(d or s), wm(s) or w(s or a), and dlf(s) with af(a). No ti's, only a few pi's to highlight real strengths or weaknesses.

etc etc...

When managing at a lower level i tend to play a more direct game and look at mental and physical attributes.

You are more likely to come across decent (double digit) figures in these areas than in technical areas.

A hard working team with limited technical ability will be able to work its way up the leagues and hold its own against "Stronger opposition*

Don't look for rounded players. Focus on fulfilling the "Key attributes" of the roles you choose.

Once your facilities and coaching improve you can then start looking for players with great potential. Often your poor facilities and coaching will not allow them to reach that potential anyway.

Best to bring in a 26 year old who will be a key player now than an 18 year old who "might" be a key player in 5 years time when you could be 5 divisions higher.

As mentioned by others, sign plenty of non contract players. If they turn out to be not good enough, it cost you nothing.

look through all the released players at the end of the season. Players who are over 30 in particular will accept sometimes, although you may have to persuade them using the chat feature. (I had Jovetic and Kane playing for me on FM15). Also, youth releases will sometimes join. They are miles better than anything at that level and even though someone is going to poach them for free before the end of their first season, they add so much value to your squad. 

Pace is king at that level. A player who has high pace/acceleration but low finishing is a better option than a good finisher who is slow. The fast player will get in the right place before the defenders more often and at that level will score more goals. (Especially considering the over powered crosses on FM16)

Don't bother looking for balanced players.

For each position pick one or two attributes that you want and ignore everything else.

For example if you want a central midfielder who is going to be key to distribution in attack, don't bother trying to find somebody who can do that as well as being a competent tackler, crosser, dribbler etc... If you want a midfielder who can control your attacking distribution then look for high passing & vision and every single other attribute is irrelevant.

So to give an example of my own selections. At the lowest levels the two attributes I value for central defenders are marking and strength. If they have those two attributes then I couldn't care less if they can't tackle, head or pass to save their lives.

10 hours ago, Fierro9 said:

btw when i have gone to sign a player it will only let me offer part time contracts. How do i offer non-contracts?

There should be the option in the contract offer screen to click on where it says part time and open up a drop down list, where non-contract should be an option. 

31 minutes ago, BuryBlade said:

There should be the option in the contract offer screen to click on where it says part time and open up a drop down list, where non-contract should be an option. 

Yeah I only have the part time option. I have loaded an old save up with leeds to see if that was an issue in that sabe and I only had the full time option. 

2 hours ago, eriktous said:

Could it be related to squad status? So you can only offer a part time contract when you offer them Key Player or First Team status. Non-contracts are only for players with lower status? Just guessing.

Pretty sure that is correct.  You would only want to offer part time contracts to these two categories anyway.

I've tried to start low league in workshop database, but was afraid of amateur status and no money at all (as well as low available staff and players). So I'm curious if it's possible to go up the leagues and get semi-pro status as well as budget and pay wages/bonuses. I guess I read somewhere that you can only go pro, not semi-pro. So can someone share what options are really are?

LLM is the only way I play. Always get NC when possible for players. Dont worry about heavy roster turnover from year to year. If someone wants high pay to resign then find someone else. 2 year contracts at max. Some people say to dump every youth intake. I disagree a bit with this. Youth players are great for emergency coverage so even if they are crap keep a couple that can play multiple positions or play a position you dont have much depth at. 

1 hour ago, friend0 said:

I've tried to start low league in workshop database, but was afraid of amateur status and no money at all (as well as low available staff and players). So I'm curious if it's possible to go up the leagues and get semi-pro status as well as budget and pay wages/bonuses. I guess I read somewhere that you can only go pro, not semi-pro. So can someone share what options are really are?

Im pretty sure, but not 100% so I could be wrong, that if you get promoted to a level that requires pro or semi-pro it automatically bumps you.

4 hours ago, friend0 said:

Yes you go semi pro, but it all depends what levels you start at and promote into. I am currently in a game in Italy, starting in eccelenza with Sancataldese. Started amateur, got promoted into serie d and turned part time (could still sign players on non-contract), got promoted to serie c and turned fully pro.

21 hours ago, chestermike said:

Yes you go semi pro, but it all depends what levels you start at and promote into. I am currently in a game in Italy, starting in eccelenza with Sancataldese. Started amateur, got promoted into serie d and turned part time (could still sign players on non-contract), got promoted to serie c and turned fully pro.

Thanks for the info! But I guess it's too late to start new game in FM16...

Definitely make sure you are 100% on the player before offering a contract at that level.. Definitely use the non-contract options as much as you can. I've made the mistake once or twice of signing a player on a wage for them to be pretty awful and therefore wasting a large chunk of my budget.

Also, just because a player doesn't agree a contract, try offering them a trial. They'll sometimes accept and it could help see you through for a month or so.

Agree with Bababui, I had a central defender in the National League South with technical and physical that would instantly make him a League 2 quality CB. However, he only had 4 for concentration. This led to him not reacting to striker runs or not being first to the ball when defending a cross etc etc. 

Archived