Belgium - Euro 2016

Gorando

I don't even think we choked or players are "entering primadona mode". The issue here is that we've been playing this kind of slow, static, boring and none-threatening football for the past 4 years.

The difference is that during the WC2014 and its qualifiers we still had Kompany and Van Buyten so we could keep the zero. And since we finally qualified after 12 years nobody minded the 1-0 scrappy wins and the football being *****. But the truth is we are very easy to defend against. Once we concede a goal the opposition only needs to hang back, keep 5 people in the back at all time, and there is absolutely no way for us to break the deadlock. We already showed this against Wales in the qualifiers and our last 3 friendlies. Now that we lost our central defence and we're no longer able to keep the zero, our flaws are twice as exposed.

That said. Knowing our flaws, last night line-ups made no sense at all though. 4 central defenders, 3 defensive midfielders, De Bruyne (who was absolutely horrible) and Hazard on the flanks and Lukaku as target man. Not sure what kind of creativity Wilmots expected. I fully expect us not to qualify from the group stages and Wilmots to be replaced after the tournemant.

Wilmots incapable of creating balance. Horrible management from him.

Yeah it's pretty clear we are not going to change under Wilmots. As I said, he always pussies out. We have all this attacking wealth and he puts ****ing Fellaini on numer 10. Just absolutely baffling

We have the better team so we should be taking the game to Italy, not wait and see what they will do. He never wants to take risks, but it always ends up having to take risks after 70 minutes when we are looking at a draw or defeat. Has been like this in every important match in the past 4 years.

Yeah it's pretty clear we are not going to change under Wilmots. As I said, he always pussies out. We have all this attacking wealth and he puts ****ing Fellaini on numer 10. Just absolutely baffling

We have the better team so we should be taking the game to Italy, not wait and see what they will do. He never wants to take risks, but it always ends up having to take risks after 70 minutes when we are looking at a draw or defeat. Has been like this in every important match in the past 4 years.

the problem is made worse because his subs are consistently poor choices tactically.

More like the new Spain ;)

England were rarely praised as widely (outside the UK, of course) as Belgium has been recently... Basically every media outlet has picked them as the potential dark horse, and the whole "they have plenty of stars and a solid squad" spiel has been repeated ad nauseam, despite most of their stars having had inconsistent or downright disappointing seasons and showings.

I remember tournament after tournament the latest Spain team was always going to be the one to finally win something. Oh how I enjoyed those times, made me feel better as an England fan :(

• 2 weeks later...

One good half vs Ireland and back to our old pains. Got lucky in the end as well. The ruled out goal from Zlatan was doubtful and a ball cleared from the line by the De Bruyne.

If we beat Hungary - which far from a certainty the way we play - surely we must be the worst team reaching the quarter final in the history of the EURO's?

On a positive note De Bruyne looked better than he did in the previous well...6 games and Vermaelen has been outstanding throughout the group stages. Also Courtois reliable as usual.

Yeah told my mate the same as well somewhere around minute 75. "I could see the Swedes score any minute now and it wouldn't be undeserved. " Eventually we scored from a deflected shot.

I agree on Dembele. Ussually we just play very slow, but we dominate ball possession, now it was around 50-50. Which probably had a lot to do with his absence.

Wilmots made his team play lower apparently, he said this after the match. Just utter madness really. Why on earth would you decide to do that against Sweden? They hadn't had a single shot on target before last night.

I can understand you don't press for 90 minutes when you're playing in 30 degrees heat, but just sitting back is asking for trouble. Can expect Hungary or Wales to exploit that better than Sweden did, who were clearly one of the worst teams in the tournament.

Even so we were crap we had loads of opportunities to score. De Bruyne put in some great crosses but Lukaku is too slow to react, he just sits there and waits, never even tries to make a run to lose his defenders. He seems so lazy and has no understanding whatsoever how to deal with a compact defense. And his timing on headers is ridiculous, he loses every duel against players who are 20 cm smaller.

I'm not a big fan of Benteke but at least he won a few duels and actually made intelligent runs to shake off defenders. He missed a sitter though.

I would like to see Batshuayi at some point but Wilmots hates him

Lukaku is a very overrated striker imho. Mainly due to his performances in the Premier League (that imo is also an overrated league qualitywise, sorry to say that) a lot of people seem to think he is an amazing striker. But his technical abilities are so weak. I personally would also like to see Batshuayi get a chance. But that will probably not happen, it is one strong muscular bloke (Benteke) for the other (Lukaku) and after them comes Origi.

Furthermore completely agree with RubenJ. Wilmots doesn't know what he is doing. I think because of the great players in their squad they will beat Hungary and Wales/NI but if then Croatia comes ... see it ending there for the Rode Duivels.

Yeah the amount of times he's too late to connect with a cross is just laughable. We're going to persist with him and it's going to cost us. I hope Wilmots saw the same as everyone did, but he seems to be pre intent on not hurting people's feelings than doing what is necessary to win.

Well, Wilmots luck must end somewhere, because that guy has been so blessed the last couple of years.

At the WC 14' they got an easy group, knocked out against the first big team they faced but no-one really seem to care as they were proud to be part of big tournament since years. Whilst I think if you look back, that Belgium side had more quality than Argentina, especially with Messi not in a great form. I think a lot of coaches would have done better. Then the EC qualifiers, Belgium seeded in an pretty easy group again. EC starts, Belgium looses from the first 'big country' they face, tactically completely outclassed by Italy who probably has their weakest squad ever at the moment. Against Ireland they did ok, much luck against Sweden because it was dangerous how they approached the game especially when taking in consideration that in the end Ireland beat Italy.

Belgium finishes second in the group which actually works in their favor now because they got almost a free-ride to the semis as all the 'big countries' like Germany, Spain, France etc. are on the other side of the bracket :D. Most likely thing to happen: Belgium beats Hungary/Wales/NI purely on individual class from some players, get knocked out by Croatia. KBVB will not fire Wilmots because they made it to the last four :D and gets another two years + a big tournament to screw things up. Because also for the WC 18' qualifiers Belgian got an very easy group.

I am almost hoping for the sake of Belgian football they loose from Hungary, Wilmots gets fired and a better coach will get the job for Russia 2018. Personally would like to see that guy from Ghent in that role, but not sure how Belgians think about that.

Hein Vanhaezebrouck uses a peculiar formation but he's like the exact opposite of Wilmots. He uses strict guidelines, clear instructions what players are supposed to do, position play is very good. He makes players reach to the full extend of their capabilities. His defense plays a very high line and they play compact as a team and press high up the pitch. he actually has weak defenders at Gent but by playing so offensively they rarely are under pressure. Wilmots does the exact opposite, he stresses the team's weakness by sitting back.

I'm pretty sure Wilmots will leave after the EC regardless of the outcome. People (and players?) are tired of him and there are a lot of naive German and French clubs out there who'd love him as their manager.

I'd love to see Vanhaezebrouck follow him up, but I don't think he'll do it at this stage in his carreer.

Besides I think it's already more or less determined my the media and people at the belgian football association that Michel Preud'homme will succeed Wilmots.

Also I've given up on Lukaku becoming anything more than a midtable team striker. There are just certain things he doesn't have and never will have.

Divock Origi is still a bit hit and miss from time to time. But based on his end-season form I fully expected him to further develop at Liverpool the next 2 years and we'll have a much more complete striker on our hand by the next WC.

Well, Wilmots luck must end somewhere, because that guy has been so blessed the last couple of years.

At the WC 14' they got an easy group, knocked out against the first big team they faced but no-one really seem to care as they were proud to be part of big tournament since years. Whilst I think if you look back, that Belgium side had more quality than Argentina, especially with Messi not in a great form. I think a lot of coaches would have done better. Then the EC qualifiers, Belgium seeded in an pretty easy group again. EC starts, Belgium looses from the first 'big country' they face, tactically completely outclassed by Italy who probably has their weakest squad ever at the moment. Against Ireland they did ok, much luck against Sweden because it was dangerous how they approached the game especially when taking in consideration that in the end Ireland beat Italy.

Belgium finishes second in the group which actually works in their favor now because they got almost a free-ride to the semis as all the 'big countries' like Germany, Spain, France etc. are on the other side of the bracket :D. Most likely thing to happen: Belgium beats Hungary/Wales/NI purely on individual class from some players, get knocked out by Croatia. KBVB will not fire Wilmots because they made it to the last four :D and gets another two years + a big tournament to screw things up. Because also for the WC 18' qualifiers Belgian got an very easy group.

I am almost hoping for the sake of Belgian football they loose from Hungary, Wilmots gets fired and a better coach will get the job for Russia 2018. Personally would like to see that guy from Ghent in that role, but not sure how Belgians think about that.

100% the truth. If Belgium can't play counterattacking game, like when Sweden allowed them in the second half a week ago, they have no idea have to break up disciplined and somewhat talanted defence.

Sake. I now have Hector, Hazard and Vertonghen all doubtful in my fantasy team. Who is certain to be playing over Vermaelen...Denayer or Lukaku?

Neither is certain, but Lukaku was rumoured more likely. If vertonghen is out, both will play.

Vertonghen in the center instead of Vermaelen, would've been no (or barely a) downgrade. I'm really not that confident about Denayer (or Ciman for that matter). I'm not doubting his talent, but he's definitely not there yet and a step below our other options.

Didn't leave the most secure impression on me in his previous appearances. Jordan Lukaku is good offensively, but his spot in the team means Hazard is required to do a lot more defending, as Jordan is prone to leave a sea of space in his back. I'm/I was a lot more confident about meeting Hungary and Portugal than Wales, who really do not suit our type of play and weaknesses

One of the first Time i can see Lukaku's (Striker) full games during this tournament

I dont know if he's like that in Everton

But seems to be so overrated

Kind of a train with no technic, bad ball control, weird player

Archived