How do you turn a country into the best?

That's an extremely vague concept you're asking about. What do you mean by "best"?

Agreed. It's a long and hard process though. You will need a lot of clubs with maxed out facilities, successful club sides in continental competitions, fantastic quality staff (especially on the coaching side) at club level plus many other things (including a lot of luck). Even with all of those things, it will take decades. With many countries, it's not possible without setting the youth rating to 200 in the editor, as things such as population play a role too.

By best I mean number 1 in nation rankings. I want to turn usa into number 1. Currently brazil is number 1 and dominate each year. I want usa to be better than brazil. Help!

Where's the fun in cheating to make the US #1 in the world? Why not take over the men's team and try to make it a power house within the guidelines of the game? It certainly won't be easy, but wouldn't it be more rewarding?

I'm American so I too would love to see the US become a real force, but it's just not realistic. There's way too much we'd need to do to catch up with European and South American countries in terms of development.

But it's not THAT much of a challenge with the USA is it? A good world cup run, and some good friendly/confederations cup results and they'll be right up there. Doing it on San Marino or Andorra will be much harder. But each to their own.

Belgium are number one in real life, are they the best side in the World?

In terms of having a good balanced team with quality in every position, I would not say they are to far from the top. They don't have five top quality teams like Spain, but the first eleven is not behind anyone.

In terms of having a good balanced team with quality in every position, I would not say they are to far from the top. They don't have five top quality teams like Spain, but the first eleven is not behind anyone.

It was a mainly rhetorical question, given that the World Rankings are a dreadful way of determining who is "best". Presumably they'll still be on top going into the March window of friendlies (although that's not guaranteed given fluctuations in the way the rankings are determined), so if they go out and play a team with a weakened side - due to injuries or just trying out some things - and lose, then they'll very possibly lose top spot. Does that mean they're now a worse team than they were the previous month?

Does that mean they're now a worse team than they were the previous month?

Yes.

I don't think the World Rankings are such a terrible indicator for the relative strength of national teams. It's just that there is so much more to being the "best football nation in the world". What about having the strongest league? Producing the most quality regens? etc.

Yes.

I don't think the World Rankings are such a terrible indicator for the relative strength of national teams. It's just that there is so much more to being the "best football nation in the world". What about having the strongest league? Producing the most quality regens? etc.

Perhaps, but I disagree. Any system which can have you shift up and down without playing a game can't be used to gauge quality.

But agree with the rest, there's so much more to it. So much that I don't think it's particularly measurable, full of subjectivity.

So any ranking system ever, then?

Fair point. The ELO system is slightly better I think. The FIFA rankings work purely as a seeding system and a relative gauge of quality over the past four years. But as a way of telling who's the "best" it's pretty poor used on its own.

For me, the best way to make a country better is to take over a team in their league and try to dominate in Europe. I've just started a Connah's Quay save from the Welsh Premier League. I know Wales are very much on the up but very good players come from teams in the Welsh league so my aim is to qualify for the Champions League to earn prize money which can improve my facilities. Also, the further I can get in the CL will improve Wales' coefficient allowing more teams to qualify for the CL, thus increasing the reputation of the league. That's the aim anyway!

• 3 months later...

I don't want to hijack the thread but I have a question broadly in the same area as the OP which I'd like others opinions on.

As for the OP question, the only way to get a national team to the top of the rankings is for them to be successful and win games which count toward the coefficient. You get more coefficient points by beating teams that are higher in the rankings than you do from beating teams which are lower. If left to the AI alone it may never happen as the US is in a part of the world where they really only have 2 or 3 teams of similar stature and ranking so the majority of games they will play won't really help you up the rankings.

The only way to do really do it is to win the World Cup which can only really be achieved with the right players and some luck. To give yourself the best chance of doing that (without cheating) you are going to need to take over an American club team and improve them to the point where they start producing some real quality regens to help the national team, it also wouldn't hurt to be the USA national team manager also.

As for my question, I find myself in a bit of a quandary. I'm manager of a N. Irish club team which I have taken to the top of the club game and developed and now I want to manage the Jamaican national team to make them qualify for a World Cup. Taking over a Jamaican club side is not possible so I can't directly improve the quality of regens coming through.

Some ideas I had was to sign an affiliation with a Jamaican club with the best youth system and buy some of their most talented youngsters so that they could develop at my club but then I thought I may struggle with work permits unless I play the youngsters in the national side regularly which would severely weaken the team as only full caps count toward the criteria. If I try to buy the young players to develop I'm most likely going to encounter work permit issues and I don't have an affiliate where I can loan them out while they get the work permit so they can develop.

I also had the idea that I might get some dual nationality Jamaican / N. Irish regens if I hire a Jamaican HoYD but I remain unconvinced as to how effective this would be and the player is also not guaranteed to want to play for the Jamaican national team either. So does anybody have any other ideas (beside cheating) which would help me to improve the national side so that I can more easily achieve my objective of reaching the World Cup.

But it's not THAT much of a challenge with the USA is it? A good world cup run, and some good friendly/confederations cup results and they'll be right up there. Doing it on San Marino or Andorra will be much harder. But each to their own.

Most of my countrymen don't know what these things are :(

I think it depends on what your targets really are. If you are satisfied with what you have done in northern ireland, and Jamaica is now your priority, why not move to a country which allows you to play Jamaicans? In my knowlegde Jamaica comes under Cotonou, so wil be treated as non foreign in Spain. Try to become the manager of Barca or Real and play Jamaicans in your squad?

I think it depends on what your targets really are. If you are satisfied with what you have done in northern ireland, and Jamaica is now your priority, why not move to a country which allows you to play Jamaicans? In my knowlegde Jamaica comes under Cotonou, so wil be treated as non foreign in Spain. Try to become the manager of Barca or Real and play Jamaicans in your squad?

That's some really sound advice Sankalan. I had forgotten all about Cotonou which gives me a work around. As I don't really want to leave the club in N. Ireland what I can do is try to sign a junior affiliation with a club from a European nation within Cotonou and then sign the best young Jamaican players in the national pool, then loan them out so they can get EU nationality. It's a bit of a convoluted process but it should work. Thanks for that Sankalan

Archived