TESTUDO for FM16

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm going to tell you the results that I have had since I changed to this tactic, I will do the short version i.e. just the scores!

I have played 23 games: - the results are: -

FC United A 1-1

Nuneaton H 3-0

Worcester A 1-1

Solihull Moors A 0-1

Droylsden A Cup 1-1

Droylsden H Cup 2-1

Tamworth H 2-1

Worksop A Cup 1-0

Stockport H 2-1

FC Halifax A Cup 1-1

FC Halifax H Cup 2-2(p) win

Gainsborough H 1-1

Gloucester A 1-2

Scunthorpe A Cup 0-5

Brackley A 0-0

North Ferriby H 0-0

Chorley H 0-0

Stockport A Cup 3-0

AFC Telford H 3-1

Loughborough H 4-0

Corby A 6-1

Stalybridge H 2-0

AFC Fylde A 1-0

I have hit my best form after actually getting a striker that is fully a deep lying forward, Piteu Crouz I signed recently and has 7 in 7 games

I have had to make some signings so it isn't 100% true to Curzon Ashton, but I have a quarter full wide midfielder on both wings. The people that have played there have 15 goals between them, although that is all seasonI changed about 7 games in or so.

starting to look promising!

1 thing I will ask is - is there a reason as to why shodipo is either footed but on mine he is right only? Is there a way you can train them on their weak foot?

No idea why he would be 2 footed on my save and right footed on yours?

I haven't trained him.

How strong is his weaker foot on your save?

And now he wont re-sign for me.......even though we've been promoted :mad:

So with Stalybridge I played 11 pre season friendlies. Put the training on the suggestions that Mr Rosler uses and it has just become fluid on 19/09/2015. The closing down aspect seems to be the sticking point but that is improving too.

With Stalybridge you are predicted to finish 21st out of 22nd. Believe me, I was there on the last game of the season where we needed a point to survive. We drew 4-4 at home and stayed up on goal difference so I understand the 21st prediction.

What Football Manager researchers didn't realise though that in Liam Watson, we had a great manager with non league pedigree, especially with Southport and AFC Telford. We currently lie midtable. Anyway, that's real life situation.

I'm pleased to say that ten games into this FM save, I currently lie 5th. P10 W5 D4 L1. I just lost my first game, against Nuneaton. As others have suggested, it does seem to be close in every game. Connor Gudger has joined me on loan from Leamington and he's playing well for the team at left back. I've let Simm and Tames go as out of the attributes Mr Rosler suggests strikers need, they were the weakest of the 4 forwards and it cuts the wage bill a little.

Thanks Mr Rosler and happy FM everyone.

It’s great to see so many players starting non-league on the thread.

It requires a bit of patience this year and some sensible squad building to make progress, as such I have put together a little guide outlining my understanding of how player recruitment works non-league.

The player pool available to you fluctuates during the year and there are optimal times where the largest volume & highest quality players will be open to negotiations.

Basic Traffic Light System

RED = Smallest, lowest quality player pool

AMBER = Intermediate player pool

AMBER + = Intermediate player pool with the odd high quality player

GREEN = The widest, highest quality player pool you’ll have available to you this season.

As usual, none of this is explained anywhere and the above is based on my own experiences over the years.

Recruitment Cycle

End of Season to late June – RED (smallest player pool of low quality players)

Season UPDATE takes place last week in June, Club Reputation is adjusted, hopefully increasing after a successful season

Late June to end of September – AMBER (additional players will now be interested, maybe a few that can improve your squad. Some players who are now out of contract who would not consider you before may now be open for discussions)

October /November – AMBER + (Some good out of contract players are now getting desperate for a Club and will consider a move to a lower reputation club)

December/January – GREEN (the widest player pool you’ll have access to. Players rated as good for the league above or even decent for 2 leagues above may now be open to a move to your Club)

February to end of Season - AMBER (thoughts turn to next season, players previously interested are not any more, some players who you signed on short term contracts in the AMBER+/GREEN period will not re-sign for you)

• This is a ‘fluid’ system with players dropping in and out of your scouting lists on a daily basis (make sure you are only viewing realistic transfers on your scouting lists)

Implications

I often start the season with a ‘bare bones’ squad leaving budget and spaces in the first team for better players to join later.

Don’t bother signing anyone early unless they are clearly better than what you already have.

Limit this to 3 or 4 ‘mid-season’ signings so you don’t upset the team. Be clear on which positions you want to improve and focus in on them.

Prioritise Current Ability over Potential Ability (they won’t get there)

If you’re signing in December/January try and get them to the end of NEXT season and not just this season (i.e. 18 month contracts)

The objective is to ensure you start every season with a higher quality team than you started the last season, even if that is based solely on the players you picked up in the middle of the previous season.

Happy hunting.

Still unreserved on the tactic.. Predicted to finish 22nd, but just scraped staying up. Started the season very strongly, about 6th after 8 games, after Christmas it all went downhill though. Could barely string a win, losing 7-8 games on the bounce with no clear cut chances and just conceding from poor defending. Didn't help that our star striker had 16 games and 0 goals although.

Final table: ii7Gwwj.png

Fixtures

Ql8v5xg.png

@Mr U Rosler On the recruitment of players, how do you find good players? Do you have a lot of scouts and use the reports or just search manually by club?

A few ways to scout.

I am allowed 3 scouts so i have 3.

The easiest way, especially if your struggling to find players is to go to the player search function, select the role your looking for (eg Striker), click on 1 player, press ctrl 'a' to highlight them all, right click and request a scout report on every single striker you are aware of in game (who would consider joining you at that moment).

You can narrow the field as you see fit, age, out of contract etc.

The limit is 500 players, if you scout that many it could take a month+ of game time so a good time to do it would be once the season is under way and your not desperate for anyone immediately.

So, for example, looking at your goals scored for last season you need 2 new wide players and a striker as a priority. Due to your clubs reputation you might not get much of an improvement over your existing squad pre-season.

If you can immediately impove the team in a couple of areas then do so.

Having done that, i would go thru the process above for all 3 roles.

If you started that in August you should have completed your 'blanket' scouting for all 3 roles by November, this is where it gets interesting.

If you list them in current ability order and scroll down at the bottom you will notice a whole list of 'new' players who are unscouted, many of these would not have signed for you in August so were not covered by your blanket scouting, however they will now as they are desperate for a club.

Now scout these 'new' players only, possibly still over a hundred of them but it will be much quicker, this new pool of players should include many higher quality players and you will surely strike gold here.

The beauty is once you've done the initial 'blanket scout' for a role you can just keep an eye on new, unscouted players appearing in your list and keep 'topping up your reports', basing this around the calender so you know when some good players will likely be available.

You can complete this for all roles in the first season giving you a firm grip on the tranfer market, who's available, how your players compare to players in the open market. This is just good, basic management to me.

If you've done this during the first season you would be in a strong position to improve your squad for season 2 (you would likely already have improved it), if not I would do it now with a view to recruiting much better attackers in November/December which should see you finish much higher up the league.

Rinse and repeat until you have a squad good enough to challenge for promotion.

Some might call this a bit 'gamey', but the way i see it you're just forcing your scouts to do the job you employ them for.

If a player becomes available who is better than the one i currently have in that position i expect to be told about it.

You are still of course relying on the accuracy of their reports.

I've been playing with Testudo for my Spurs save and it has been top notch.

In Feb 2016 I'm still in all cups and second in the league - somehow Chelsea have won nearly every game, slightly different to the real world I fear.

Son is killing it from the right wing, though Lamela did as well before Man City poached him for £40m! Goals are floating in from other roles too, Jorge had a hat-trick from LB earlier which was a real shock!

I'm struggling to get the best out of Eriksen, do you think he is best suited to the LWM role more than CM?

I'll post some screenshots of form/stats for the season when I finish the season in a couple of days, but suffice to say I am very happy that Rosler has created another top notch tactic.

I've been using the non-lower league version though, is that still deemed the best for higher quality teams too?

GK: Lloris / Horn

DL: Rose / Jorge

DC: Vertonghen / Cameron-Carter

DC: Alderwield / Fazio

DR: Walker / Walker-Peters

ML: Chadli / Malcolm

BWM: Bentaleb / Alli

CM: Eriksen / Onomah

BWM: Dembele / Ajer

MR: Son-Heung Min / Pritchard

ST: Kane / Barbosa

I've been playing with Testudo for my Spurs save and it has been top notch.

In Feb 2016 I'm still in all cups and second in the league - somehow Chelsea have won nearly every game, slightly different to the real world I fear.

Son is killing it from the right wing, though Lamela did as well before Man City poached him for £40m! Goals are floating in from other roles too, Jorge had a hat-trick from LB earlier which was a real shock!

I'm struggling to get the best out of Eriksen, do you think he is best suited to the LWM role more than CM?

I'll post some screenshots of form/stats for the season when I finish the season in a couple of days, but suffice to say I am very happy that Rosler has created another top notch tactic.

I've been using the non-lower league version though, is that still deemed the best for higher quality teams too?

GK: Lloris / Horn

DL: Rose / Jorge

DC: Vertonghen / Cameron-Carter

DC: Alderwield / Fazio

DR: Walker / Walker-Peters

ML: Chadli / Malcolm

BWM: Bentaleb / Alli

CM: Eriksen / Onomah

BWM: Dembele / Ajer

MR: Son-Heung Min / Pritchard

ST: Kane / Barbosa

In the top leagues the CM/A's tend not to feature as much. Doesn't mean they don't contribute just tend to get outshone by the wide players.

I'd want my most creative players in the wide midfield shot. In that set up i'd probably use him in the left wide midfield position. Should kill it.

I haven't tested the lower league tactic in the Prem, but if you prefer a 'calmer' style of play, less hectic, less fouls and cards etc and its working then why not?

A few ways to scout.

I am allowed 3 scouts so i have 3.

The easiest way, especially if your struggling to find players is to go to the player search function, select the role your looking for (eg Striker), click on 1 player, press ctrl 'a' to highlight them all, right click and request a scout report on every single striker you are aware of in game (who would consider joining you at that moment).

You can narrow the field as you see fit, age, out of contract etc.

The limit is 500 players, if you scout that many it could take a month+ of game time so a good time to do it would be once the season is under way and your not desperate for anyone immediately.

So, for example, looking at your goals scored for last season you need 2 new wide players and a striker as a priority. Due to your clubs reputation you might not get much of an improvement over your existing squad pre-season.

If you can immediately impove the team in a couple of areas then do so.

Having done that, i would go thru the process above for all 3 roles.

If you started that in August you should have completed your 'blanket' scouting for all 3 roles by November, this is where it gets interesting.

If you list them in current ability order and scroll down at the bottom you will notice a whole list of 'new' players who are unscouted, many of these would not have signed for you in August so were not covered by your blanket scouting, however they will now as they are desperate for a club.

Now scout these 'new' players only, possibly still over a hundred of them but it will be much quicker, this new pool of players should include many higher quality players and you will surely strike gold here.

The beauty is once you've done the initial 'blanket scout' for a role you can just keep an eye on new, unscouted players appearing in your list and keep 'topping up your reports', basing this around the calender so you know when some good players will likely be available.

You can complete this for all roles in the first season giving you a firm grip on the tranfer market, who's available, how your players compare to players in the open market. This is just good, basic management to me.

If you've done this during the first season you would be in a strong position to improve your squad for season 2 (you would likely already have improved it), if not I would do it now with a view to recruiting much better attackers in November/December which should see you finish much higher up the league.

Rinse and repeat until you have a squad good enough to challenge for promotion.

Some might call this a bit 'gamey', but the way i see it you're just forcing your scouts to do the job you employ them for.

If a player becomes available who is better than the one i currently have in that position i expect to be told about it.

You are still of course relying on the accuracy of their reports.

sorry for the stupid question, which 3 roles? DLF, WM AND???

Thanks for the quick reply, another question is should i re-download or i need to adjust it manually, im using the original

You can easily remove 'play narrow' it will show as balanced in team instructions screen.

The only other changes to the standard tactic are to the corner routines. There a lot better non league, marginally better in Top League so upto you.

I have started to trial the LL version with Luton Town and so far I am unbeaten in the league after 12-13 games with mostly wins and a lot of nice play as the players have adapted to the tactic. I even beat Leeds in the LC on pens!

Great tactic again.

1st half of the 1st season with Ipswich everything went well. Always between 2nd and 6th, so in a promotion spot. :)

2nd half of the 1st season a lot of things gone bad and I finished 8th, so not even promotion play-offs.

Now, only a few matches in the 2nd season I am allready out the Capital One cup and I lost my first match in the league.

What should I do to start winning again and get to the top with Ipswich?

Not going well for me and the Lower League tactic.

Lost most of my opening 10 games in League 1 after getting promoted. Seem to be leaking goals late and from crosses from the wings. I have shots but most off target.

Could be my team but even trailing off at the end of the first season it began to lose its effectiveness.

Most goals against me are from crosses. I get absolutely annihilated from crosses.B

I do know that and that is where I did the biggest upgrades to my current team. Mind you I think the game has it for me. When holding strong a player gives away a penalty or gets sent off. Going through a really rough patch.

Mind you I am only Newport and our budget isn't the best. It's possible my upgrade weren't big enough.

I would expect a battle following promotion, i'm having one myself.

Hang on in there, its all part of the fun!

Oh I know. Trying to get the best out of your players. Hard when you're pepping the goal and a player decides to give a penalty away cheaply. But must soldier onwards!

Updated standard tactic to version v1a (removed 'play narrow', improved corner routines attacking & defending)

Updated Lower League tactic to version LL v1a (changed to mixed passing, improved corner routines attacking & defending)

Is this included in the iPad instructions you gave me earlier? And could you add the new corner layouts please?

Top work!!!!

Just an update. I decided to take a different approach to my team. I was very strict before. I would always use assertive that I wasn't happy unless we were winning. Even drawing I was unhappy.

Losing after losing moral was low, so I decided to take a different approach. Calmer and more encouraging. Since doing so I've won 3 on the trot. More shots on target, more goals and the WM's are on fire. Still letting a few goals in but I have a young center back pairing so expected.

Just an update. I decided to take a different approach to my team. I was very strict before. I would always use assertive that I wasn't happy unless we were winning. Even drawing I was unhappy.

Losing after losing moral was low, so I decided to take a different approach. Calmer and more encouraging. Since doing so I've won 3 on the trot. More shots on target, more goals and the WM's are on fire. Still letting a few goals in but I have a young center back pairing so expected.

Yeah, no point hammering them when they're already down. Better to take the pressure off them.

I made a slight change, and added fairly wider, Since then we drew 0-0 twice, and just won 3-0 Away at BDA! Not sure why I just thought the Wide mids were far too narrow therefore not as many crosses for CCC's In the win I dropped Crouz and the guy that replaced him got a goal and an assist!

After the replies I decided to try this out. Not fully fluid just yet (Leeds first season no new signings). Unbeaten in 3 but rode my luck quite a bit. Just beat Brentford away 4-1 which was satisfying although they had a fair few chances. Chris Wood is struggling playing the lone striker role so come the end of the season that's my main priority. Saying that I am 3rd in the league so may get a decent striker if promoted.

Standard tactic is tremendous once fluid, keeps things really tight at the back while offering enough threat going forward. Started using it last 3rd of season 6 then continued with the first 3rd of season 7 until fluid. Recently in home games / away games I'm expected to win I change the WM players to Inside Forward (s) and Ramdateur (a) and it has been devastating

Once fluid the tactic is extremely adaptable and can be amended slightly depending on opposition and how the game is going, attacking central midfielder doesn't get on the ball as much as I would like so I have PI of shoot often and try risky passes which match the players I have so that when he is involved he is a bit more of a threat. I think the key to keeping it tight are the 2 ball winning midfielders, I have 5 in the squad to cover for injury, suspension and fatigue

After tinkering for years on my current save I am finally happy with the base tactics which can be amended when relevant, thanks to the OP for that. Brilliant tactic

Just trying to find the way up again.

Most astonishing last season was my main striker. (Daryl Murphy) He scored about 33 or 35 goals, I believe.

Now, after 11 games, I am 20th in the league (W3, D3, L5) My players aren't that bad, I think.

I feel another loss, would cost me my job as Ipswich manager

Using the standard tactic with a team predicted to finish bottom of the Championship. Just entered January 13 points points ahead of second place, unbeaten in 15 and scoring for fun. One of the best tactics I've seen on Football Manager.

Just trying to find the way up again.

Most astonishing last season was my main striker. (Daryl Murphy) He scored about 33 or 35 goals, I believe.

Now, after 11 games, I am 20th in the league (W3, D3, L5) My players aren't that bad, I think.

I feel another loss, would cost me my job as Ipswich manager

Which tactic Jorgen, looks like theDentalist is going well in the Championship with the standard tactic.

Which tactic Jorgen, looks like theDentalist is going well in the Championship with the standard tactic.

Testudo standard Mr Rosler. My Ipswich team is playing like a school class at the moment, where in the 1st half of the 1st season, I was collecting a lot of points.

(I am playing FMT, if that matters.)

Archived