FM16: Newcastle United - Lifting The Fog On The Tyne

Stu_UBJ

Just played our 9th league game, second loss of the season away to Chelsea. To make things worse, Mbemba broke his leg and is out for 6 months. Hopefully I get some funds in January, don't fancy playing the rest of the season relying on Taylor/Williamson/Lascelles. Think it will be Lascelles, as he's the only CB other than Mbemba with a bit of pace.

But, we're 3rd on 21 points. 7 wins and 2 losses so far. Two losses were away to Spurs and just now to Chelsea. We've beat a few good teams in Liverpool, Man Utd and Southampton so not all doom and gloom.

Ron Vlaar and Ondrej Mazuch might still be available as free agents....they both start the game with serious injuries so no-one picked them up for a while on my beta save. I was able to sign Mazuch a couple months in when he was injury free.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers. Vlaar will be too slow, but Mazuch looks decent.

I'll probably stick with Lascelles until January though, give him a chance to develop.

Lost my third match at home to City, 3-4 following an offside Aguero goal. We had the better chances but they shaded it with possession. Disappointing but still 4th in the league. Plan was this season to be 9th or above so we're off to a good start.

Buzzing that this thread is up! Great read so far, just finishing season 2 with newcastle, ayoze hasn't picked up form for me yet, what role are people playing him as?

had a few crashes during save games, so tried a fair few different set ups, he's worked best as an inside forward for me. Trained him to stop getting caught offside so much cos that ppm was a pain. About to try him as advanced forward in a 442

Hit December, got the message every manager dreams of seeing -

"Newcastle board make extra transfer funds available"

Brilliant. Exactly what I need for a bit of squad building in January, hopefully it's enough to get a CB and CM in...

£400k.

nope Charnley.

At least it's realistic :lol:

Well done on the thread! Looking forward to following!

Mitrovic hasnt been performing for me at all. how are you guys playing him?

TBH Im struggling with the best formation/tactics to use. Currently having a season very similar to IRL. At least its realistic....

What tactics/formation are people using?

Well done on the thread! Looking forward to following!

Mitrovic hasnt been performing for me at all. how are you guys playing him?

TBH Im struggling with the best formation/tactics to use. Currently having a season very similar to IRL. At least its realistic....

What tactics/formation are people using?

I've been playing a 451, flat middle 3. Mitrovic was my top scorer first season as an Advanced forward... Not done the best for me second season but he still grabs some important goals. This season i've been playing him as a complete forward support

Just played our 9th league game, second loss of the season away to Chelsea. To make things worse, Mbemba broke his leg and is out for 6 months. Hopefully I get some funds in January, don't fancy playing the rest of the season relying on Taylor/Williamson/Lascelles. Think it will be Lascelles, as he's the only CB other than Mbemba with a bit of pace.

But, we're 3rd on 21 points. 7 wins and 2 losses so far. Two losses were away to Spurs and just now to Chelsea. We've beat a few good teams in Liverpool, Man Utd and Southampton so not all doom and gloom.

What tactics/philosophy are you using?

I haven't had any success with Newcastle at all since full release! Is it just me or is 16 a lot harder than 15??

Hit December, got the message every manager dreams of seeing -

"Newcastle board make extra transfer funds available"

Brilliant. Exactly what I need for a bit of squad building in January, hopefully it's enough to get a CB and CM in...

£400k.

<snip> Charnley.

At least it's realistic :lol:

Com on wilko... you know that sort of language isn't on, in here...

I haven't had any success with Newcastle at all since full release! Is it just me or is 16 a lot harder than 15??

I'm finding it much harder as well, was 17th until about March when I managed to start turning things around, signed most of my players over 48 months to get them in. Simone Zaza was a beast after he'd been listed by Juve, got him for £11m sold him to Dortmund in the summer for £31.5M!

Ended up first season finishing 14th, second season 8th and now I'm 11 games into my third season and I'm 5th.

The turn around for me was looking at Cleon's tactics threads. I'm tinkering with PI more than I used to.

A 4-4-1-1, with the LM pushed up to AML so technically a 4-3-2-1. Attacking philosophy, with minimal PI and Team Instructions.

19 games in, 41 points and 3rd in the league. 13 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses. The 4 losses are away to Stoke (2-1), home to Man City (3-4), away to Chelsea (2-1) and at home to Spurs (1-2).

We're also into the semi finals of the Capital one cup, after beating Chelsea in the quarters.

Joint top goal scorers through League & Cup are Ayoze and Mitrovic with 12 each. Ayoze also has 7 assists and Mitrovic 3. Such a good pairing.

Already planned my January targets. Rulli from Real Sociedad's contract expires so be aiming to pick him up on a free. Also tempted to bring back HBA.

How has Siem de Jong been getting on for everyone?

He had some good games for me on beta save, but was often anonymous. On the new save he's not played much in our first nine games due to a niggling injury, asked to speak to me about lack of first team football and then promptly got injured the next day, dislocating his jaw in a training fall....out for another 4 or 5 weeks again.

I sell him straight away, easy £10m or so, he doesn't really fit into any system I play all that well, and when he does I can normally source a replacement for less than he costs.

Sold him Southampton for £11.75m first window. He's been below average for them. Good money maker.

Started a Newcastle save. Struggling so far due to not settling on a tactic and perhaps due to beta changing to full game.

Was playing with a 4231 during pre-season and won all 9 games. Full game came out and haven't won since but that might be because the opponents are tougher.

Game 1 vs West Ham lost 3-1

Game 2 vs Manchester City 0-0

Game 3 vs West Brom lost 2-1

Cap. One vs Preston lost 1-0

Game 4 vs Liverpool lost 1-0

Sitting at 20th with 1 point but 10th is at only 7 points.

Against West Ham we collapsed after leading 1-0. The game against Manchester City was really good. The West Brom game was similar to West Ham. Led 1-0 then collapsed late. Preston they hit one from 40 yards, their only chance and it went in while we were frustrated by their 10-1 formation. Liverpool was a great game but again Benteke managed to shoot through Janmaat and Lascelles while we failed to score.

Settling on a 442 now which is promising but we need to win soon.

Any ideas how patient the board is?

Well, I have solved out not scoring problem, having turned out team into 'The Entertainers' - however my defence is Newcastle circa 1989 and have lost ouor opening 2 fixtures 5-3 to Man U and 3-4 to Everton.

I am playing a flexible 4-2-3-1/4-2-2-2 formation but seem to be hugely affected by Tim Krul being out.

GK Darlow - GK Defence

RB Janmaat Wing back Auto

CB Mbemba Central defender

CB Colocinni BP Central defender

LB Grimaldo (loan) CWB

CM Sissoko BBM

CM Wijinaldum AP

RW Promes Ramdeuter

LW Thauvin Inside forward

AM/ST Perez Trequarista

ST Mitrovic Target Man

Subs:

Woodman

Taylor

James Wilson (loan)

Anita

De Jong

Tiote

Haidara

Plus points - going forward we seem to be pretty good with the front 4 all blending well. Darlow has made a load of crucial saves although, I still think we'd not be in the same position if Krul was fit.

Negatives: Wijinaldum has been horrific, cannot complete a pass and is a non entity going forward. Definitely need a DC because Mbemba alone is killing me. Toying with the idea of playing 1 with Tiote in front.

Signed Promes for about 9 million and a few cheap players my scouts found including a cracking little MC from FC Midtjylland who has gone back on loan.

snip

Can't say I'm surprised that you're conceding a few with that formation ;) With your BBM running all over the place, your AP drifting all over the place, and your wing backs bombing on you're left a bit... light in defence. The Raumdeutner and Treq won't do much defensively either. You'll need more disciplined roles for the central midfielders at least if you want to tighten up at the back.

Wijnaldum is probably suffering because your BPD will generally look to play it long and your BBM will want to run with the ball and get it forward quickly, so he isn't getting enough of the ball. Add that to the fact that he'll be left exposed defensively and he's not going to be effective for you.

How has Siem de Jong been getting on for everyone?

He had some good games for me on beta save, but was often anonymous. On the new save he's not played much in our first nine games due to a niggling injury, asked to speak to me about lack of first team football and then promptly got injured the next day, dislocating his jaw in a training fall....out for another 4 or 5 weeks again.

Sell him asap, as Chargreaves says, he doesn't really fit into any system and isn't good enough to cater a system to his needs. You can sell him for c£10m and buy Calleri, or Batshuayi.

I'd also recommend sourcing a right back as Janmaat is likely to be on the end of some big bids at the ends of the first season (£20m+) and you could pick up the Kenny Tete for a knock down price and use the Janmaat cash to improve a troubled back line.

Stoke seem to be relegation certs, so I'd keep an eye on Butland. Younger than Krul and likely to be much better than him.

Stoke keep getting relegated in my games, too, for some reason. I picked up Shawcross from them for a few million in the second season - bargain.

Bartlomiej Dragowski is a cracking young keeper. I got him for under £2m in the first January window because I was sick of Krul's injury problems and within a year he was the better keeper.

Just started second season,

Sold de Jong, Cisse, Colback, Williamson and Good for combined total of £30m in the first window.

Bought Romero, Balanta, Ajer, Dockal, Thomas Delaney, Zivkovic, Calleri, Malcolm and James Bree for a combined total of £28m. A huge improvement, no?

Played 4-2-3-1 control or a 4-1DM-2-2-1 counter, the latter not providing much joy to be honest.

Finished 5th in my first season after a bit of a stutter at the end of the season, and then won the FA Cup with the last kick of the game against Everton.

Sold Gouffran for £1m, Tiote and Riviere for about £2m each, Haidara for £8m and Thauvin to Monaco for £40m(!!) then was given £40m by Ashley and immediately went about fattening out a very thin squad.

Bought Will Hughes from Derby, Zack Clough from Bolton, Cresswell from West Ham, a regen called Ryan Chatting from Watford (11 in 10 for U18s/U21s so far) and Jack Butland from Stoke to increase the number of HGs. Picked up a bunch of prospects like Zeca, Lincoln, Hajek, Cramer, Wallyson, Marcelo Meli, Younes Muller, Ivica Juras from Hajduk (If you can convince them to give you a feeder club and Hajduk are available definitely choose them, some highly rated kids in there).

I should have sold Janmaat as he's gone from £20m offers to being dropped by the national team. I predict a rapid decline for Radgemaat.

Perez is amazing, I play him as a Trequartista in the hole, or alongside Calleri/Mitrovic if I'm in control of the game and want to get more goals. I'm having to bat away £40m+ bids for him and I'm not sure for how much longer he'll be ok with that.

Mbemba is a real gem as well, play him either BPD or FB.

Just followed up beating Man City in the Community Shield and in the League with a narrow away win at West Ham but now have a Euro Cup group including a Thauvin inspired Monaco, a tough away fixture at CSKA Moskow and Brondby.

Stoke keep getting relegated in my games, too, for some reason. I picked up Shawcross from them for a few million in the second season - bargain.

Bartlomiej Dragowski is a cracking young keeper. I got him for under £2m in the first January window because I was sick of Krul's injury problems and within a year he was the better keeper.

Yeah Stoke went down on my beta save and I grabbed Shawcross and Butland from them. I'll be keeping an eye out on them this time round as they look like being in trouble again. I have Rulli shortlisted as well, hoping he keeps turning down Sociedad's new contract offers.

Yeah Stoke went down on my beta save and I grabbed Shawcross and Butland from them. I'll be keeping an eye out on them this time round as they look like being in trouble again. I have Rulli shortlisted as well, hoping he keeps turning down Sociedad's new contract offers.

Rulli turned down 70k a week to sign for atletico on my current save. Still not decided how I want to play yet coming up for the end of season using the basic 442 settings. Sitting 4th

Had a horrid run at the end of December/start of January-

1-1 draw with Norwich

1-0 loss to Swansea

3-0 loss to Man Utd.

Injuries starting to pile up, Mitrovic got injured the moment I confirmed the sale of Cisse (4.2mil to Lyon) and Riviere (2.7mil to Bournemouth). Also sold Tiote to Villa for 4mil and Marveaux to Fulham for 1.1mil.

Lascelles also got injured for the Man Utd game, meaning I had Colo and Williamson as my only CB choices. We lost 3-0 because Williamson made 3 mistakes. Needless to say he's been offered out for nothing, just want shot of him.

Only made one signing so far, 7mil for the transfer listed Sven Bender from Dortmund. Huge upgrade on Colback, Tiote and Anita. Also agreed a pre-contract with Rulli from Sociedad who I'm looking forward to having join. Looking to sign Jesus Corona from Porto for 5mil, and thinking of getting Ulloa who's transfer listed in for 2mil. But I need a CB and I have next to no money left if I get those two in. A real struggle.

Was waiting for this thread to be set up during the Beta and have been very focused since release.

Season #1

Out:

Krul - Chelsea - £15m

Colback - Watford - £8m

De Jong - Saints - £7m

Cisse - Lyon - £5m

Taylor - Leicester - £3.5m

Obertan - Fulham - £2m

Riviere - Caen - £1.7m

Dummett - Norwich - £1.5m

In:

Barbosa - Santos - £10m

Horn - Koln - £6.5m

Mammana - River - £3.9m

Zivkovic - Partizan - £950k

Thiago Maia - Free Transfer (Contract expires in Feb first season)

Been playing 4-2-3-1 Wide when favorites, 4-4-1-1 when not.

Outstanding first season.

Premier League - Finished comfortably in 3rd. Was in the title race up until the last five games or so when we had a bad run due to injury. Ayoze star performer, finished league top goalscorer.

League Cup - Knocked out early doors by Ipswich. Meh

FA Cup - Lost in the final, in extra time, to Chelsea!

Season #2

Out:

Sissoko - Man City - £35m

Cabella - Real Madrid - £28m

Tiote - Dynamo Kyiv - £1.8m

In:

Tielemans - Anderlecht - £15.5m

Jorge - Flamengo - £13m

Odegaard - £12.25m

Rulli - Free Transfer

Couldn't believe my luck when I was searching through my reserves to bulk up the first team, and I come across Cabella, who had failed to agree terms with Marseille, and he was worth £28m :brock: Offered him to clubs straight away, At Madrid offered £14m, but Real, offered the whole lot upfront!

So with the £63m raised from selling him and Sissoko, I was given another £40m by Ashley. Still gone money to burn in the budget but not really anyone who will be in my transfer policy, and who will improve the squad a great deal. Would rather build the youngsters I have and turn them in to world beaters!

Let me know if you would like any specifics.

P.S. DON'T SELL AYOZE!

Managed to turn things around over the last few games, started with a 0-0 away to Palace in the Capital One Cup before beating MK Dons with the reserve squad 1-0 and then hammering (no pun intended) West Ham 3-1 away.

Anita has also left the club, joining AC Milan for 6mil and Williamson has been booted out to Burnley for nothing. Raided the transfer list to bring in Adil Rami for 3mil and Adam Maher for 1.8mil. Looking at Callum McManaman from WBA who's listed at 750k for a bit of depth on the wings. That would leave me with around 5mil for a striker, not really a lot on offer for that. Made a loan bid for the young Barca striker Dongou. Also bringing in Zoller from Koln for a bargain 425k. Obviously some of these players are short term necessities, but very happy to pick up Maher for such a low price. Was a good player in FM15, so hopefully he's comparable now.

Planning ahead for the summer with the unhappy players we could potentially get. Lucas Moura of PSG is unhappy due to lack of playing time so I'm considering him as Sissoko's eventual replacement. While I'm not actively looking to move Sissoko on, I'm anticipating a few bigger clubs coming in for him at the end of the season. The same is expected for Ayoze and Janmaat. I'm willing to sell Janmaat for 25mil+ but I'm trying my hardest to hold onto Ayoze. Rejected a few 30mil bids for him from City and Napoli but if we don't make Europe I can see him forcing his way out in the summer.

West Brom are looking likely to go down, so Berahino is on the potential list as Ayoze's replacement. Klaasen of Ajax is Wijnaldum's replacement and Sam Byram of Leeds is Janmaat's potential replacement.

Hard choice to make, Napoli came back with a near 40mil bid with a few clauses based on games played etc. Negotiated and they've made a final offer of 52mil, 40 upfront and 12 over 12 months. It's a lot of money, but he's just dragged us to an undeserved 3-1 win over Liverpool with a goal and an assist.

52mil would essentially allow me to get a quality LB in, a good back up RB, sort out the CBs and replace Ayoze. But he's brilliant and my favourite player IRL too.

Help? :lol:

Where are people playing Ayoze? I'm struggling to get the best out of him. Tried him up top as a T(A) with Mitro as DLF(S) but he doesn't seem to see much of the ball. Now playing him as an SS behind Mitro.

I'm just getting a string of average performances and the fans want me to drop him but I can't bring myself to do it!

Fulax, followed a bit of your advice and tempered my attacking tendencies with an altered tactic.

Starting line up remains the same but Janmaat and Grimaldo are now fullbacks on auto - I have taken BPD from my DCs as well. I altered Gini's role to DLP and made Sissoko a RPM. Mitrovic as a DLF meant there were more balls played in to both Promes and Ayoze - we won 2-1 away at West Ham and then a very weakened team won 4-2 at Bradford in the cup.

Where are people playing Ayoze? I'm struggling to get the best out of him. Tried him up top as a T(A) with Mitro as DLF(S) but he doesn't seem to see much of the ball. Now playing him as an SS behind Mitro.

I'm just getting a string of average performances and the fans want me to drop him but I can't bring myself to do it!

Shadow striker behind CF Support Mitrovic, been brilliant for me.

Rejected the Napoli bid, if someone comes in with 60+ I may sell but I'd rather he went to a really big team like Bayern or Barca. No offense to Napoli but he can do better.

Unexpected transfer, had planned for it this summer but brought forward due to his demands.

Krul has been sold to Man City for 14mil. They bid 8mil, negotiated and got it moved up. I couldn't convince them to make it happen at the end of the season so before selling I checked who was available.

In comes Asmir Begovic on loan from Chelsea. Ideal, experienced quality 'keeper who'll do a good job until the end of the season when Rulli signs. Also means we've got a decent wedge to splurge on players who are available before the season ends. Can see Trippier is listed for 3.6mil, looks a good back up option for Janmaat especially at that price.

Hopefully Krul enjoys warming City's bench :lol:

What have those who have completed a season been doing with regards to Cabella? He has a future fee agreed at £5.7m, But he is valued at more. Is it worth trying to get him to agree a new deal to sell for a higher fee or is it worth letting them sign him if they come in for him?

Didn't get the chance to use him on the beta as Marseille activated the fee in his loan deal after he had a great season for them (finished with highest assists in Ligue 1), however on current save he's picked up a serious injury and is out for 4 months, so might get the chance to make use of him this time round.

What have those who have completed a season been doing with regards to Cabella? He has a future fee agreed at £5.7m, But he is valued at more. Is it worth trying to get him to agree a new deal to sell for a higher fee or is it worth letting them sign him if they come in for him?

I gave him a new deal when marseille bid for him at the end of his loan. He stayed. I then sold him for 25m 2 weeks later.

How much money did you manage to scrape in for the departures?

Around £23m. Elliot rejected Brentford so he's still here. Anyone been successful in tutoring Mitrovic with Sissoko and Mbemba With Janmaat?

Archived