FM16 : Liverpool FC - Ran out of Klopp puns

cezar.sl

Just started my first save, as LFC obviously. I started unemployed as I wanted to give Klopp a chance. He blew it: finished 7th, failed to win a trophy and was sacked shortly after the season ended.

After some smooth-talking Mr Warner, I was offered the job (despite my horrendous melted face!) I wasn't left with a great squad to be fair. Lucas was sold and no other defensive midfielder was bought to replace him. Klopp signed Peruzzi, a left back (can't remember his name now but not great!), Carillo and Luan.

Fortunately however I have been given quite a large kitty. My first signing was Stefan de Vrij from Lazio for around £10m plus £30m in instalments. I also signed Mauro Icardi in a similar deal, Sven Bender (who had been transfer listed) for £6m after refusing to meet Grzegorz Krychowiak's release clause of £45m, and Timo Horn for £6.5m.

I then began looking for improvements for the left back position, as I don't use wingers so wanted and improvement on Moreno, when I noticed that Ozil was transfer-listed (and interested)! Amazingly I was able to sign him for £15m up front and £30m over 48 months. He is on £200k per week but I thought I couldn't miss out on that opportunity (Moreno will have to do for now!).

I’ve so far sold Balotelli (£21m), Lallana (£20m), and Luis Alberto (£7m), and am thinking of selling Lovren, although will probably keep as back up.

My only problem so far is than Dan Sturridge wants to leave for Champions League football. I promised that I’d sell him if we didn’t achieve it this year, but he stubbornly wouldn’t accept we were good enough to achieve it (this was before I signed Ozil – I wonder if his stance would have been different had I already signed him?). Anyway I have no intention of selling and hopefully he will come round if we’re looking good in the league.

I have two tactics being used so far: 4-3-2-1 (Christmas Tree), due to the amount of AMs in the squad and 4-4-2 narrow diamond. I will post my tactics in more detail when I’m home, but so far so good. Cruised through my friendlies thus far (who have all been Championship or below, and Vitesse) and just beat Slovak Bratislava in the Europa League qualifier first leg 2-0 at Anfield. Sterner tests ahead of course - not to mention Barcelona away in a friendly. Hopefully their squad will be fit so I can sort of gauge how I’m doing.

hey there martplfc1!

I have started my Liverpool save and am in the first season, however am struggling with finances.

I see youve splashed over 100m on de Vrij, Icardi, Bender and Horn and another 45m on Ozil.

May I know how do you cope with such hefty monthly installments and wages?

Any help would be appreciated!!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, im not very responsible when it comes to managing finances! The stadium upgrade has been completed and I'm hoping to qualify for the CL again. Ultimately though I take the view that the board will help me out if I'm doing well in the league, which I hope I will! Additionally, I recouped around £60m in player sales.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Honestly, im not very responsible when it comes to managing finances! The stadium upgrade has been completed and I'm hoping to qualify for the CL again. Ultimately though I take the view that the board will help me out if I'm doing well in the league, which I hope I will! Additionally, I recouped around £60m in player sales.

Are you Harry Redknapp in disguise?

Alright! I've heard others say that the TV money in the second season helps. I have currently sold more than I've bought and am under my wage budget. But I'm in the red!!

I'm still well within my budgets, so maybe the TV money is key. I think my balance is circa £60m. Transfer budget around £23m and I think I have £70k available per week should I wish to buy some more (I could increase that by adjusting budgets).

My projected balance is on the incline too to 2018, so hopefully this takes into account transfer fees due.

Ok, my test pre-season are done.

Time for the real thing when i get back from work later, though i do wonder if im buying too many bargain youngsters at the start.

A key part of my playstyle is buying young/cheap and selling for lots years later. I did great with this strategy in other versions and in around 3 seasons had £200m-£300m balance. Though back in FM13 i got Eriksen, Garmash and Lewandowski for Free and the sold them a season later for big profit :)

Hmm, £11m (4m below his value) for Joe Allen ....who is behind Hendo, Can and Milner in CM.

Take it or keep him?

I like Allen in the game, he's an excellent BBM and can cover pretty much all the CM roles pretty well. I wouldn't even consider selling him for less than his value.

The problem with selling him' date=' is one less HG player, i tend to keep him as he isn't a world beater but very reliable.[/quote']

Yes. We have a real problem with HG players, especially HG at club, which we need for European Registration.

Yes, i like Allen too.

After a long time thinking about it, i reluctently decided to sell.

I play 4-2-3-1 and he was behind Hendo (when fit), Can and Milner for the 2nd CM spot, so i sold him to fund some new signings, though i do wish i could get more for him. (some of the youngsters like Ajer are almost as good as him now)

1 less HG isnt nice, but i can use the youngsters like Rossitier for that, and in 3 years i will have some more HG youngsters ready.

If you cant tell, i like to develop youngsters, especially if i can get them young enough to become HG at club. And if they dont work out, then i sell them for profit.

How are people finding milner? He blows a bit hot and cold for me. I starting to wonder if he is worth 140k per week. I think the only reason I'm holding off trying to sell him is due to the fact he is English!! How have people been playing him, or have you sold?

Still not sure what to do with Ballotelli. He is still at Milan and 18 months left on his contract, wants 160k per week to resign, only scored 4 goals for them so far but hig ave ratings.....hmmm.

Ings is on fire for me, keeping Sturridge out of the team as Ings has now hit 19 goals in 14 games!! Poor Benteke is not even getting a look in, I'm waiting for the inevitable conversation with him complaining about 1st team football. He just doesn't fit the way I play as I use a false 9 as a striker and like them to be quick and mobile....

some decisions to be made soon I think.

Just started a longterm saved with LFC, after a few test saves to find the right tactic. Playing a 4-1-3-2 with wingers, which i think suits the team really well. Did some interesting transfers before the upcoming season.

In:

Daniele Rugani (Juventus) - £30m

Timo Horn (1. FC Köln) - £6.5m

Andrija Zivkovic (Partizan) - £850k

Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo) - £33m

Out:

Dejan Lovren (PSG) - £19m

Jose Enrique (Crystal Palace) - £3m

Adam Bogdan (Fiorentina) - Loan

Adam Lallana (Arsenal) - £40m

Just started a longterm saved with LFC, after a few test saves to find the right tactic. Playing a 4-1-3-2 with wingers, which i think suits the team really well. Did some interesting transfers before the upcoming season.

In:

Daniele Rugani (Juventus) - £30m

Timo Horn (1. FC Köln) - £6.5m

Andrija Zivkovic (Partizan) - £850k

Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo) - £33m

Out:

Dejan Lovren (PSG) - £19m

Jose Enrique (Crystal Palace) - £3m

Adam Bogdan (Fiorentina) - Loan

Adam Lallana (Arsenal) - £40m

Rugani is a good deal, he is class. Berardi, he is good, but better options for cheaper.

Wrapped up the EPL with 6 games in hand.

Time to give some younger guys a run.

Got Real Madrid in Semi's of ECC, not expecting to progress past that point.

Took out COC easily, most team fielded youth, I went near full strength.

In Semi against Everton in FA Cup.

Might sell Sakho, the Red Cards are getting annoying, and so many yellows too. He is a star no doubt.

Just about to send my Under 21's and Under 18's to play Tottenham..

I didn't want to risk getting more in case it fell through. :( I transfer listed him for £45 million, got £39 million straight up back.

edit: Breel Embolo is a straight replacement for him at £12.25 million.

has anyone sold Firmino after the first season?

doesn't fit my 433 with IF's on either side and 3 in the middle. Will try and retrain to play CM but as he's best suited to an AMC role I'm not sure about him

I'm playing him in the exact same position, he chips in with the goals (not prolific by any means). He is a backup for me behind Yarmolenko, I would still keep him but train him as an inside forward and improve his composure (12 not good enough). If you get an offer over £40m, I would sell though, even in my save.

New computer ready, so have to start all over again. Rugani is a must have, maybe look for som cheaper alternative than Berardi on the new save.

I got

Embolo $15m

Barbosa $13m

Volland $24m

Icardi $45m

If you really want a Star straight up, spend $45m on Icardi, otherwise the other 3 will cost you $50m all up, good 3 players to have to be honest.

New computer ready, so have to start all over again. Rugani is a must have, maybe look for som cheaper alternative than Berardi on the new save.

Another one with Rugani is his Italian compatriot, Romagnoli from AC Milan. Can never get him to sign but would love to have him next to Rugani. Italy don't do bad defenders... (Barzagli's stats in FM2007, still the best, what a beast)

I think Firmino has a problem of being too slow to be a wide forward/winger. I'm going to see how he plays through this season and then I might either sell him off or retrain him as a CM in a less physically intensive role.

What formation are you guys using?

I'm having a bit of difficulty at the moment deciding. I started with a 4321, which seems to control the game but I concede really soft goals with it. Strangely I've been doing much better against bigger teams, beating City and drawing with Arsenal and Chelsea away (conceded another soft goal in the 90th :mad:)

Problem I'm having is that I have loads of AMs and not many natural wide players. I'm trying to get width from Moreno and Clyne as attacking FB/CWB but it's leaving me super exposed despite having a BBM, BWM (D) and DLP (D) as the flat 3.

Any ideas on improving this formation?

Yeah I actually switched to that after going 0-1 down to Arsenal. Managed to draw 1-1. I used this formation in FM15 with great success, so will try it again. How do you have each position set?

I was thinking control mentality, slightly higher line, short passing with high tempo (for home games and "easy" away games):

GK: SWK Support

DR: FB Support (if using a winger ahead) or CWB Support (if using an IF ahead)

DC: BPD Support

DC: LD Cover

DL: As per DR

MC: BBM

MC: CM Defend or DLP Defend (not sure if that will provide sufficient cover)

AMR: IF Attack/W Support

AML: APM Support

ST: DLF Support

ST: AF Attack

How are people finding milner? He blows a bit hot and cold for me. I starting to wonder if he is worth 140k per week. I think the only reason I'm holding off trying to sell him is due to the fact he is English!! How have people been playing him, or have you sold?

Still not sure what to do with Ballotelli. He is still at Milan and 18 months left on his contract, wants 160k per week to resign, only scored 4 goals for them so far but hig ave ratings.....hmmm.

Ings is on fire for me, keeping Sturridge out of the team as Ings has now hit 19 goals in 14 games!! Poor Benteke is not even getting a look in, I'm waiting for the inevitable conversation with him complaining about 1st team football. He just doesn't fit the way I play as I use a false 9 as a striker and like them to be quick andmobile....

some decisions to be made soon I think.

Milner has been superb for me with average rating of 7.53 over 10 league games. I play him as BBM on the right side of a 2 man CM....been awesome for me.

Yeah I actually switched to that after going 0-1 down to Arsenal. Managed to draw 1-1. I used this formation in FM15 with great success, so will try it again. How do you have each position set?

I was thinking control mentality, slightly higher line, short passing with high tempo (for home games and "easy" away games):

GK: SWK Support

DR: FB Support (if using a winger ahead) or CWB Support (if using an IF ahead)

DC: BPD Support

DC: LD Cover

DL: As per DR

MC: BBM

MC: CM Defend or DLP Defend (not sure if that will provide sufficient cover)

AMR: IF Attack/W Support

AML: APM Support

ST: DLF Support

ST: AF Attack

Starting with only 10 players is a bold strategy!

Archived