The Official Holland aka The Netherlands aka Oranje thread

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had troubles with ex-gf over going to away games in some god forsaken villages following third division team and she ended up with one of the crew organizers in the end. Talking about irony hahaha

At least Ricardo's gf can be moved by scoreline.

BTW how come that Stekelenburg wasn't picked?

Made some really poor career choices. From world class to relegation fodder in 4 years. Basically ruined in Italy. Now relegated in England. He wasn't even close to being selected, probably 6th choice or so.

I had troubles with ex-gf over going to away games in some god forsaken villages following third division team and she ended up with one of the crew organizers in the end. Talking about irony hahaha

At least Ricardo's gf can be moved by scoreline.

I think she was more frustrated she couldn't watch herself. So rubbing the 5-1 in now every chance I get :D

About Stekelenburg: made poor career choices (unlucky a little bit as well), but in my opinion he's still at least as good as Cillessen.

He didn't make poor career choices; he started to play poorly. He didn't leave Roma because he was chasing more money at Fulham, but because Roma didn't want him any more after his form fell apart.

Feck not getting carried away. We trashed the world champions! FIVE goals. No excuses. They could have put on an extra player and it wouldn't have mattered :p

Silva failing to secure the 2-0 for example ... let's not get carried away by scoreboard journalism ... does prove though the exciting prospects of players like Sneijder, Robben, Blind, Van Persie in the turnover and their ability to create chances and goals

:D Scoreboard journalism. Yeah, what's 5 goals (should/could have been 7) against Spain :D

yeah well as I mentioned could've been 2-0 as well at some stage and then it would have been a different game ... but that would also be scoreboard journalism, Spain was nowhere, the Dutch were great in the second half, end of story

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/matthew-spiranovic-insists-socceroos-defence-up-to-challenge-posed-by-van-persie-and-robben/story-fnkjl6g2-1226954930572

"The Socceroos watched “bits and pieces” of the van Persie/Robben show in their hotel and the changerooms, but Spiranovic said they can match it with them after sparring 12 rounds with Chilean stars Alexis Sanchez and Arturo Vidal."

Oh boy...

:(

Ffs, do you even think before posting? You've gone from one argument to its exact opposite in the space of 22 minutes.

tbh don't see why that contradicts, Spain wasn't too shabby first half, could've gone 2-0 up. Holland was better second half and scored easily. Spain was nowhere then and Holland had a great second half. But no reason to sing hosannah now and shout the Dutch on as world champions, just cause they beat the reigning champions easily.

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, do I honestly have to explain your own posts to you? DJ says: 'we thrashed the world champion.' Your answer: 'that's scoreboard journalism'; i.e. despite the score, Holland did not actually dominate the game. Then you go on to state that Holland in fact won the game easily. Twice. Of course it's a contradiction, it's a complete U-turn. Your last sentence is a non-sequitur; not only has no one claimed Holland will win the tournament, it also has nothing to do with the meaning of the phrase 'scoreboard journalism', a meaning I now start to suspect you don't actually grasp.

But Robbert, how would he get to over 50000 posts if he doesn't reply to everything? :(

I agree that we shouldn't get carried away, but we'll have some (deserved) confidence back that will see us through to the QF I think. Much more than I hoped for :thup:

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, do I honestly have to explain your own posts to you? DJ says: 'we thrashed the world champion.' Your answer: 'that's scoreboard journalism'; i.e. despite the score, Holland did not actually dominate the game. Then you go on to state that Holland in fact won the game easily. Twice. Of course it's a contradiction, it's a complete U-turn. Your last sentence is a non-sequitur; not only has no one claimed Holland will win the tournament, it also has nothing to do with the meaning of the phrase 'scoreboard journalism', a meaning I now start to suspect you don't actually grasp.

ok last attempt to clarify: as mentioned in my post I was referring to the second half were the Dutch outplayed Spain, first half a different story.

Scoreboard journalism means a big win gets seen as a sign the Dutch were way better than the opponents in this case and were never in any trouble. Even though they were better in the second half it wasn't the case for the whole match. Again, as I mentioned, could have been 2-0 down first half. Scoreboard camouflages this aspect hence my mentioning scoreboard journalism as it obscures the analysis of the fact the Dutch did struggle at times and it wasn't that obvious, easy etc. as the score might seem to indicate. Therefore any conclusions further to that in respect to the Dutch and their chances to win the cup would also be scoreboard journalism if all of a sudden optimism rules whereas pre match scepticism ruled.

Again don't see why you see a contradiction in that. Maybe suffering from orange madness?

I see the contradiction as well. If you call scoreboard journalism (and I really see where you're coming from), you can't state any further that Holland won easily. That's not only a contradiction, it might even be called hypocrisy? Holland won easily is a scoreboard statement?

• SI Staff

Isnt it funny that a lot of people have been saying it should have been alot MORE than "just" the 5-1 win?

Also granted, when it was 0-1 (through the ricockulous penalty) - Spain did have a few opportunities to the 0-2.

Suppose it gets to 2-0, what are the chances of Buffalo calling Spain superior, regardless of the fact that they were pish and helped along by the ref? about 5315631% I'd say. Scoreboard journalism, indeed!

that would be scoreboard journalism indeed. Do feel the Dutch were only stronger second half, and to be clear I don't think they were only cause they scored their goals then. Maybe the latter is why you accuse me of contradicting myself?

Haha, I guess we all secretly took for granted that after Spain we would beat the Aussies. Well, the way the game went it was hard enough but it was sort of freak-ish. First that one-in-a-million goal, then a laughable penalty. We did well to recover from those.

Have to question the use of 3-5-2 though, it would be like against Wales and that's exactly how it went. Once we went to 4-3-3 we could have scored another 3 goals.

So, van Persie out next match. I want Hunter, but we will get Lens. This time, 3-5-2 is the right choice, those Chilis will attack.

• SI Staff
Shocked to see not a single post after our game against Australia. We're in the next round after two games. That's four years earlier than imagined!

Nope. Have been saying we' d qualify all along. A bit disappointed about the poor showing against Australia. Might lose to Chile.

better pray Robben and van Persie don't get injured or suspended though

Not if your alternative is Jermain Lens, I don't understand the point in him. Looked 100% dreadful. Depay on the other hand looks a very good player.

Can't be worse than Lens.

Sure he can. Gorando had it exactly right; Huntelaar's major weakness is lack of pace, no point in having him play off the shoulder of the defender if that defender is playing at the middle line, like Chile's were yesterday.

you need someone to chase after balls, pacy, a faster/younger version of Kuyt
Sure he can. Gorando had it exactly right; Huntelaar's major weakness is lack of pace, no point in having him play off the shoulder of the defender if that defender is playing at the middle line, like Chile's were yesterday.

I disagree. Huntelaar is good in the air. Hoof to him and he would head it to Robben's path.

Even though I'm a big fan of KJH, I agree, he would not be of much use in a formation where he has to chase after the ball all the time. But Robben and RvP look very fit to me, if they get injured it would be very unlucky.

I disagree. Huntelaar is good in the air. Hoof to him and he would head it to Robben's path.

not when he needs to camp around the halfway line tbh. Better with the throughpasses by Sneijder, Blind, ... being chased by pacy players such as Robben. And Van Persie is a great connection point already up front for that matter.

Even though I'm a big fan of KJH, I agree, he would not be of much use in a formation where he has to chase after the ball all the time. But Robben and RvP look very fit to me, if they get injured it would be very unlucky.

Stop. Jinxing. Now.

Archived