The Official Holland aka The Netherlands aka Oranje thread

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
So what chance does Zoet have of getting ahead of Vorm/Krul to make the 23? Noticed he was on the bench yesterday ahead of those two.

He'll most likely be dropped. Essentially LvG didn't play the players that are already sure of the Brazil squad - except for RvP and Janmaat. I'm wondering if he'll play Zoet against Ghana, or if he'll make the shift to who will be the first goalkeeper. I have no idea who that will be.

• SI Staff
Isn't Cillessen nailed on for the tournament? Thought he had played the last 4-5 games in a row?

Cillessen, Vorm and Krul will all be going. It does look likely that Cillessen is the first goalkeeper - but I think a lot of people do prefer Krul though. I know I do.

Krul and Stekelenburg have both been out injured for the past international games too, by the way.

I disagree, it could have easily been 3-1 for Holland and then we would have been ecstatic. Clasie was a 6/10 - like the majority. Except for Janmaat who was horrible. And Depay who was a positive.

Meh. Really wasn't impressed. Same old low ball tempo, misplaced passes, just not fresh football. Depay and the goal were the single highlights for me.

All I say is that he went from top, being steady as a rock for many seasons, world cup final class, to nothing special after his move. What am I to conclude? Steek probably doesn't fit well in a team that relies heavily on old-fashioned defending. Then why get a goalie who is clearly used to a different style and flourishes in that different style? As always: more money than brains. Same goes for Fulham.

Steek won´t be going and was terrible at Fulham and is struggling mentally with their and his poor performance.

Terrible? That's a bit harsh. Had a bad match, after which Magath decided he needed to shake things up. Not on the top of his game, but surely he's better than Zoet and Cillessen.

• SI Staff
Terrible? That's a bit harsh. Had a bad match, after which Magath decided he needed to shake things up. Not on the top of his game, but surely he's better than Zoet and Cillessen.

Technically he probably still is. But as I said, he is also struggling mentally.... if a goalkeeper doesn´t have a good head on top of his shoulders for a World Cup then that´s a major issue, unfortunately.

• SI Staff
Should just put Kuyt in as the right sided wingback. :D

Has been considered previously by some, when we had a struggling Van der Wiel and Boulahrouz failing a few years ago.

Dirk is such a work horse, he can play anywhere :D

• SI Staff
Verhaegh basically Holland's answer to Rickie Lambert isn't he? Steamrollering his way into the squad at 30-odd.

Never rated him, but somehow he's not doing badly. Normally Vd Wiel would have been 2nd choice... and perhaps Van Rhijn, but he's not in his best form. Verhaegh in any event is, not very exciting - but dependable.

Verhaegh played against Ronaldo and did quite well that match, just as he does in one of the strongest competitions in Europe. But Eredivisie-players are better, ofcourse, they put up a good fight against Salzburg and Krasnodar.

Never rated him, but somehow he's not doing badly. Normally Vd Wiel would have been 2nd choice... and perhaps Van Rhijn, but he's not in his best form. Verhaegh in any event is, not very exciting - but dependable.

Not sure. I've seen VDW play in the CL this season and he had some impressive performances. I've always been a fan of his play style though. To me, he could very well be the first choice right back, even better than Janmaat. Not sure if LvG thinks the same way though.

think midfield is adequate, wouldn't qualify it as good though, unless Sneijder is in top form that is. In general the team relies a lot on him and vPersie for example to force things open.

Yeah :D Well, we all know that ended in tears :(

I've got plenty confidence in that midfield but the defense will never be anything but shaky, even if we are interestingly trying something else. Maybe it'll surprise some opponents.

As Dutchmen, on a scale of 1 to 10, how fearful are you coming up against the might of Australia? 9?

Our chances are no more than 60/40 against Australia, I think. Any opponent can score. Do that in the 5th minute and we may well fruitlessly chase a goal all evening long.

• SI Staff

We SHOULD absolutely annihilate Australia by about 5 goals difference, but let's not be too stupid... Australia know what they're doing, and their style of play could be tough on the Dutchness. As DJ says, an early (lucky) goal for Australia and it could be incredibly tough to overcome.

We SHOULD absolutely annihilate Australia by about 5 goals difference, but let's not be too stupid... Australia know what they're doing, and their style of play could be tough on the Dutchness. As DJ says, an early (lucky) goal for Australia and it could be incredibly tough to overcome.

one lucky early van Persie goal will kill off the match entirely imo, works both ways

• SI Staff
one lucky early van Persie goal will kill off the match entirely imo, works both ways

Works for me - but you know you're talking out of your arse. It's in our mentality to always want to play attacking football - we' ll go looking for the 2nd goal. VOC mentaliteit! :D

Works for me - but you know you're talking out of your arse. It's in our mentality to always want to play attacking football - we' ll go looking for the 2nd goal. VOC mentaliteit! :D

Jan-Peter, is that you?

Archived