Steam has ruined fm!!!

Is it me or is Steam a pain! Anyone agree or am I missing something?

Steam updates everyday... FM updates everyday... Its a complete joke. I just want to play the game! Don't want updates!

I think oh I've got a spare hour to play FM, then 20 mins later thats turned into 40mins-30mins to play cos I've just had to wait for Steam updates etc. By that point I've lost interest. I used to be a FM addict, playing like morning til night some weekends. Now Steam has killed that for me.

People say turn it to offline mode, which I did do and was working for a bit but then all of a sudden it started saying I can't play the game until steam is updated. Its pathetic.

I want to put the disc in my computer and play the game. None of this crap. Since Steam has come into play its slowly killed FM for me. I just can't play the game like I used to simply because of steam updating all the time.

I'm now at the point where I ditch the game, and have no plans on buying the next one. Whats the point. Until its brought back onto a normal PC disk like ALL other PC games, or until Steam actually give me the option on whether I want to update or not and it doesn't affect playing the game either way, then I'm done with this game!

I'm now at the point where I ditch the game, and have no plans on buying the next one. Whats the point. Until its brought back onto a normal PC disk like ALL other PC games, or until Steam actually give me the option on whether I want to update or not and it doesn't affect playing the game either way, then I'm done with this game!

The bit in bold is totally false. Ubisoft games went through a phase of having a system far more intrusive than steam. I appreciate your frustration is genuine, but steam combats piracy and helps more people than it inconveniences, so unfortunately you will need to deal with it.

By the way, what prompted this thread was the fact that I haven't played on FM for a month or so, just tried to play it, had to wait 15 mins for Steam to update, and now I've got 51mins to wait until FM updates...

And I'm guessing people will assume my broadband connection isn't very good if its that slow. Well as far as I can see, theres nothing wrong with my broadband. Everything else works fine. Don't have any other problems with any other sites or anything. Its literally just Steam.

Sorry I sound miserable, but Steam has drove me to this!!!

OK then sorry, all other PC games I've personally played with is what I should have said... I don't have to deal with it, I just won't bother playing the game again. A shame considering it was a game I used to love.

It is indeed a shame, and I do feel your pain at being locked out of the game you love.

I do have to question how you have 51 minutes of updates on a good internet connection, there hasn't been anything that big has there? Even if you have been blocking them for a month.

Hopefully if you give it a few more goes you will learn to live with Steam and not have to be forced out of a good game.

My only problem with steam is that I've gone from FM11 being my first steam game, to having a steam library of over 100 games, and I only eve rplay FM,,,,,

p.s. just a pre-warning to you this will most likely be locked, as there have been many a thread discussing steam, and an FM general discussion forum arguably isn't the place. So if you see it locked that is most likely why

It is indeed a shame, and I do feel your pain at being locked out of the game you love.

I do have to question how you have 51 minutes of updates on a good internet connection, there hasn't been anything that big has there? Even if you have been blocking them for a month.

Hopefully if you give it a few more goes you will learn to live with Steam and not have to be forced out of a good game.

My only problem with steam is that I've gone from FM11 being my first steam game, to having a steam library of over 100 games, and I only eve rplay FM,,,,,

p.s. just a pre-warning to you this will most likely be locked, as there have been many a thread discussing steam, and an FM general discussion forum arguably isn't the place. So if you see it locked that is most likely why

Thanks mate. Think I've already give up with the game now to be honest... And yes I see where you're coming from bout the internet connection, but like I said, I don't have any issues with anything else. Its strange and annoying really... And cheers for the heads up about this being locked. I just wanted to vent my frustation about Steam. If it gets locked it gets locked, oh well.

OK then sorry, all other PC games I've personally played with is what I should have said... I don't have to deal with it, I just won't bother playing the game again. A shame considering it was a game I used to love.

A lot of other games now need steam OR something similar like Origin or Uplay. In fact I cant think of the last game that I bought that didn't

I've noticed myself that every evening when I boot up the laptop when I get home for the past week or so steam has been updating itself every time. Ok, the occassional update is par for the course but every day is bordering on the ridiculous at this stage. It's also started rebooting FM after I save and quit nearly every time now too. Strange. :confused:

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet because I didn't read all the posts but you can turn Steam to offline mode and you don't have to worry about updates etc. That's what I do until I know the FM have released a new update and when I have time to sit and let it update I turn it back to online mode and let it do its thing.

it took me like six hours to install fm on my new laptop, my Internet connection is that slow i live in a middle of a field. FM can't help you're Internet connection speeds or steam updates...

I think you can choose to do most of the installation from the disk? Obviously that doesn't help with patches.

The Steam updates are nightmares, I guess for SI the reduction in piracy (and associated increase in sales) is worth the inconvenience to the small number of customers who care enough to complain or stop buying the game.

I think you can choose to do most of the installation from the disk? Obviously that doesn't help with patches.

You absolutely can, I think for those that did it it was just the tiny fm.exe that needed downloaded, almost like just the icon or soemthing to make it all work.

Of course patches still need downloaded, but that is hardly a steam exclusive.

I experienced yet another update this evening which required me to exit FM - luckily, just saved game. I was thanked for taking part in Beta test (that I didnt know I was participating in) and that I had to revert to non Beta version......bizarre. Hopefully stable for a while going forward now.

I experienced yet another update this evening which required me to exit FM - luckily, just saved game. I was thanked for taking part in Beta test (that I didnt know I was participating in) and that I had to revert to non Beta version......bizarre. Hopefully stable for a while going forward now.
The exact same thing happened to me. Fortunately I didn't have to quit the game. But I reckon there have been too many steam updates in a short period of time.

Steam is the best system for this by a country mile, I've not had a single issue with them in 8 years, And yes I know that does not mean others have been so lucky but nothing is perfect.

And if your game really does updates every day you have an issue on your end, 51 minute update? I downloaded the whole game faster than that.

And as someone already says.... most games these days require Steam/Uplay/Origin so I don't understand your comment about playing games from the disc like ALL other games.

It's 2013 and time to move on my friend :)

I've noticed myself that every evening when I boot up the laptop when I get home for the past week or so steam has been updating itself every time. Ok, the occassional update is par for the course but every day is bordering on the ridiculous at this stage. It's also started rebooting FM after I save and quit nearly every time now too. Strange. :confused:

Ithappens to me. Everytime I quit FM, it reboots right away. I can't escape it.

Steam is still a problem for some people. I would certainly prefer not to use it at all. I appreciate that SI uses it as an anti piracy measure. But does anyone know how many more actual sales of FM SI have made from this measure. I of course do not know. But is the added drama of steam and problems it causes SI customers worth it ?

Ithappens to me. Everytime I quit FM, it reboots right away. I can't escape it.

I have found it only does this to me if FM crashes. About one in every 50 times I quit something goes wrong and FM doesn't go away, and then when I use task manager to get rid of it it automatically comes back. Perhaps something is going wrong with your FM closing down? No idea how to fix that though.

Not keen on the third party activation system as it seems your having your computer invaded by a software which is trying to sell millions of other game titles your not interested in as well as putting up with there constant patching which may sometimes stop you playing your beloved games.

Do not believe for one minute this stops piracy and in truth it never will, but SI have taken a good move by paying the guy who was pirating there software with a money incentive which seems to have worked for the time being.

My opinion is SI are no better off than they were before they used Steam as now SI have to pay for there services.

Be nice to have a choice though in truth.

So it's the same old, same old, :D some love it some hate it, truth is there'll always be complaints whatever system they use and we've had worse fiascoes than Steam.

Anyway this is a very tired argument, especially it's not about to change anytime soon.

Archived