'The Wall' - A Counter Attacking Tactic for FM 13.1.3

Greetings all,

There I was, sitting pretty 4th in the Premier League in early December in my second season in the top league with the mighty Stockport County when the new patch hit with a ME overhaul.

My Hydra tactic was well and truly 'nerfed', conceding 8 goals against Chelsea and Liverpool although I scored 6 & 4 goals of my own I decided that was never going to happen again and went back to the drawing board.

My mindset was defensive, I was being overrun through the middle of the park, and they were getting in behind my wingbacks and killing me with crosses.

I wanted a solid back four and to flood midfield leaving very little space for my opponent to build attacks and launch those killer thru balls. I also wanted to hit teams on the counter as this remained a very effective way of creating those clear cut chances.

stockportcountytacticso.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes, it a fairly obvious 4-5-1.

That's they way its moving on the new match engine, traditional formations will be back with a lot of good tactics being built around 4-4-2, 3-5-2 formations. The days of wingbacks and asymmetric formations are gone, if you look at a formation, see a hole, that will be exploited by the AI teams.

Results

stockportcountyfixtures.png

16 games unbeaten, 14 clean sheets.

How it works.

Its designed to counter attack.

You have a defensive minded back 4 that doesn't really move and support attacks.

You have 3 central midfielders operating Box to Box, they are key. They have very high pressing and hard tackling. When out of possession these guys are marauding all over the pitch trying to win back possession early. When i'm talking about counter attacking I'm not referring to long balls from my centre backs, I mean the central midfielders will win the ball early, high up the pitch near the halfway line and play in the striker who runs 40 yards unopposed and slots it in the bottom corner.

So basically we have 3 physical players dominating the middle of the park, breaking down opponents in possession, launching and supporting attacks.

Get ready for some 'comedy' tackles :lol:

We have 2 wide midfielders (not wingers) who also work defensively but are quick to support attacks as well. They are set to drill crosses from the byline when they can and will run to the far post in support of attacks when they do not have the ball.

Playing with one man up front.

I didnt think this would work, but it does.

So we have a poacher sat on the shoulder of the last defender available to take the ball when we win it back. This guy will be marked by 4 defenders, leaving loads of space for your support to run into when attacking. Your lone striker will regularly 'skin' all 4 defenders which are basically hopeless when faced with a quick, agile striker running with the ball. He will score 40% of your goals.

Back to back games.

stockportvliverpoolstat.png

stockportvanderlechtsta.png

2 good teams, we never gave them a 'sniff' of our goal. Note possession, you can have the ball but what are you going to do with it?

I need to get to work, i will post more later but here's the tactic.

Max pitch size

No OI's

I dont use shouts, but you can

Good luck all!

http://www.mediafire.com/?v8xgfakz1dwr1xm

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First game: Played the first 60 minutes with Marcelos 442 and found myself 1-0 down against a team near the bottom of League 1. Wasn't playing terribly but created nothing. Changed to this tactic and won 3-1. They didn't have a shot after this point. Early days, obviously, but encouraging nevertheless.

Lost my second and third games. Third game was against bottom of the league, lost 2-0 and didn't have a single shot in the second half.

You have 3 central midfielders operating Box to Box, they are key. They have very high pressing and hard tackling. When out of possession these guys are marauding all over the pitch trying to win back possession early. When i'm talking about counter attacking I'm not referring to long balls from my centre backs, I mean the central midfielders will win the ball early, high up the pitch near the halfway line and play in the striker who runs 40 yards unopposed and slots it in the bottom corner.

So basically we have 3 physical players dominating the middle of the park, breaking down opponents in possession, launching and supporting attacks.

Get ready for some 'comedy' tackles :lol:

Playing with one man up front.

So your 3 mid's need tacking work rate team work passing and creativity?

Basically you want 3 massive thugs.

I would prioritise as follows.

Work Rate above all

then

Physical attributes (pace/stamina/strength)

Defensive attributes (tackling/marking/aggression)

Attacking attributes (passing mainly)

This tactice fails to work emphatically against weaker opposition, they just smash and grab and make you force the issue.

I must add that this is not true when you score early on, then you get some big scores against smaller teams.

That was exactly my first impression without even trying to tactic. This tactic is probably perfect for my team right now as we are by far the worst team in the league, but in years to come I may be high above others and this may fail to work then...

Won the Andorran league using this, unbeaten all season. Even managed to progress through 3 rounds of Europa League qualifying eventually losing 6-2 to V. Guimaraes of Portugal

:applause:

Well done mate and thanks for the feedback.

I wanted to make clear what type of central midfielders are required for this tactic as they are so important.

Here are a couple of examples from my current squad.

markbuckinghamoverviewa.png

A fairly 'Blunt Instrument' this guy, 6 foot 2", 18 stamina, 18 strength, 18 jumping, 15 heading, 19 marking, 15 tackling, 15 work rate, 17 team work, 15 aggression, 16 determination, 15 anticipation, 15 positioning... a true midfield destroyer.

jakelivermoreoverviewat.png

A slightly more cultured version yet still 6 feet 1", 19 work rate, 13 tackling, 15 strength, 15 stamina, teamwork 17, determination 15, marking 14, aggression 13, anticipation 13, positioning 14

My only complaint is pace, ideally I would like them to be a touch quicker but you cant have it all!

Hope this helps:thup:

I've tried it out for a few games out of curiosity with Ruch Chorzow. Results have been mixed but really only seem to comfortably beat teams at the same level or higher. Been beaten by some much weaker sides and also lost at home a few times.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for your save.

This is designed as an 'underdog' tactic for weak to middle rated teams who will not be able to sign the most technically gifted players in your league. As Ruch Chorzow are one of the most successful teams in Poland there may well be tactics around better suited to your squad. Perhaps the tactic may be of use for difficult away games or in Europe.

Thanks for the feedback anyway.

First Impression

Previous Form Prior To Tactic:

• Zulte Waregem (Lost 4-0 H)
  • Anderlecht (Lost 3-0 A)
  • Standard (Lost 2-0 H)
  • Vise (Drew 2-2 A)

Form With Tactic:

First Game... Beerschot AC are probably one of the easiest opponents we will face, but still a huge task either way. The game overall was boring as we played out a (0-0) draw, but I was pleased with the fact they had 0 shots on target and only 3 off target.

UR Namur 0 - 0 Beerschot FC (Stats)

Second Game... Genk are easily one of the best teams in Belgium and their striker alone is probably worth twice as much as my entire team! Unfortunately we didn't bring any points back with us, but it was a more than respectable (1-0) defeat! Despite our lack of possession, we had just as many shots as they did! On another day, it could have seen us snatching the victory, but it wasn't to be.

Genk 1 - 0 UR Namur (Stats)

Third Game... STVV are known as an established team in the Pro League, having forced their way into the top 6 fold in recent seasons, so this was definately a massive test for us although definately easier than Genk. This was the first game where we really excelled with the tactic, matching our defence with our attack and picking up two early goals to secure a massive (2-1) victory! We also hit the woodwork along the way and never looked like losing, despite our inferior possession.

UR Namur 2 - 1 STVV (Stats)

First Impression

Previous Form Prior To Tactic:

• Zulte Waregem (Lost 4-0 H)
  • Anderlecht (Lost 3-0 A)
  • Standard (Lost 2-0 H)
  • Vise (Drew 2-2 A)

Form With Tactic:

First Game... Beerschot AC are probably one of the easiest opponents we will face, but still a huge task either way. The game overall was boring as we played out a (0-0) draw, but I was pleased with the fact they had 0 shots on target and only 3 off target.

UR Namur 0 - 0 Beerschot FC (Stats)

Second Game... Genk are easily one of the best teams in Belgium and their striker alone is probably worth twice as much as my entire team! Unfortunately we didn't bring any points back with us, but it was a more than respectable (1-0) defeat! Despite our lack of possession, we had just as many shots as they did! On another day, it could have seen us snatching the victory, but it wasn't to be.

Genk 1 - 0 UR Namur (Stats)

Third Game... STVV are known as an established team in the Pro League, having forced their way into the top 6 fold in recent seasons, so this was definately a massive test for us although definately easier than Genk. This was the first game where we really excelled with the tactic, matching our defence with our attack and picking up two early goals to secure a massive (2-1) victory! We also hit the woodwork along the way and never looked like losing, despite our inferior possession.

UR Namur 2 - 1 STVV (Stats)

That seems encouraging as you mentioned you are playing a small team.

Please bare in mind i've played my first 20 games of the season and the tactic is still not fully gelled, after 3 games for you it must be very unfamiliar.

That seems encouraging as you mentioned you are playing a small team.

Please bare in mind i've played my first 20 games of the season and the tactic is still not fully gelled, after 3 games for you it must be very unfamiliar.

If I can manage to get 4 points every 3 games throughout the entire season, i'll be more than pleased :) Also, if this is the sort of form we are getting with unfamiliar, i'm eager to see what we get from very familiar

The results have been o.k. so far. Got 5 wins 2 draws and 2 losses. However I am finding that my players are tending to dawdle with the ball, getting caught in possession frequently.

What team are you?

No evidence of being caught in possession in my game, normally the other way round.

Trying this with Porto. Results:

1) lost at home to a lower league team i have never heard of. I didn't create a single clear cut chance. Their best player is worth 65k

2) away to a team called Ludogorets in the champ league. Again, didn't create 1 clear cut chance 1-1. I'm now out at the group stages. 1 own goal against me

Fans are now saying they are not happy with the less than exciting football on display

3) away in the league to a team called vit. guimaraeres. Another own goal. 1-1 ....I had 1 shot on target and scored with it. No clear cut chances

4) home to fenerbache in the champ league. Time to redeem myself.......2-1 i won!!! 1 long shot, one penalty

not the most exciting tactic but might be good against big teams

Giving this a try with Portsmouth from the start.....awaiting decent gelling. Tough to call so far after 5 competitive games W2 L3 F5 A7 inc 4-2 Loss to Sheff Utd and 2-0 loss to Swansea in Carling Cup

More Results - UR Namur

Previous Results:

• Beerschot AC (Draw 0-0 H)
  • Genk (Lose 1-0 A)
  • STVV (Win 2-1 H)

Recent Results:

Charleroi 4 - 2 UR Namur

The full time result doesn't actually match our determination in this game, with 4 clear cut chances ourselves, we could have easily stolen the limelight! We were oddly more attacking in this game than previous, which could be the reason we suffered at the back.

UR Namur 3 - 3 FC Brussels

This was the sort of match where you just wouldn't want to bet on who would win! I started the match with the normal tactic settings, but at (1-0) down at half time, I felt I needed to go more attacking, switched a few settings around and went on the attack and this was the result... We managed to snatch the draw in the dying seconds of the match!

KV Kortrijk 3 - 1 UR Namur

With a man sent off in the 15th minute, we were never going to win this match and to keep it at just (3-1) is simply amazing, considering the vast difference in quality...

UR Namur 0 - 0 Mons

A pure advertisement for boring football, nobody looked like scoring... But I wont complain because we picked up a vital point!

KV Mechelen 0 - 1 UR Namur

This was a smash and grab for sure! My captain Jonathan Gahin was picked to play up front ahead of usual striker Steve Marchand and it proved vital as he smashed one in just before half time. I then switched things around to go a bit more defensive and we managed to steal the victory with a composed finish to the match. Overall, despite our lack of possession we were the better team.

Belgium Cup 6th Round - UR Namur 2 - 0 Turnhout - A Belgium Third Division A Team

I was very scepticle of the tactic, playing against smaller teams than mine. I decided I wouldn't take the risk because I want to progress in the cup for a change and our board have asked we reach the next round at least. I therefore moved my wingers into the attacking slots and made them inside forwards and changed our strategy to attacking. It worked a treat, restricting the oppositions to just 2 shots all game and having plenty of shots ourselves. I also noticed how the two wingers got involved a lot more than usual aswell. (Maybe people should give this a try when playing smaller opposition)

Club Brugge 1 - 0 UR Namur

There is a pattern it seems and I never expected to get anything out of this match, especially after snatching 4 points from our last two games and I was proved correct, although we gave it our best shot and on another day, one of our shots could have gone in.

Overall I am happy with the results i'm getting, so I will stick with this tactic for now, but I will look to improve it when facing smaller opposition. As it stands, we come up against a Second League team in the next round of the cup! Perfect!

Sorry for being pedantic but I mean did you just take the default formation in the archived formations present or did you go through the process of making it in the TC yourself, going tthrough the 14-15 steps?

Yeah, I went thru all the steps, then into each player to give them individual instructions.

Although I cant complain about my results (2nd in premier league in January), i agree the tactic can be a bit boring.

The original idea was to have a defensive tactic primarily and I was happy to take a 0-0 against bigger teams. I'm not really happy with that anymore.

I also appreciate you are very reliant on your lone striker having a good game, if he has a bad day its difficult to score goals.

I am considering going to 3 at the back, dropping another poacher up top (I personally like dual poachers in a counter attacking tactic). I would change the wide midfielders to defensive wingers to help protect the flanks, and have them crossing from deep rather than the byline to ensure they don't get caught out of position, well up the pitch and to be more direct/speed up attacks a little bit.

What do you guys think?

Archived