'The Wall' - A Counter Attacking Tactic for FM 13.1.3

Although I cant complain about my results (2nd in premier league in January), i agree the tactic can be a bit boring.

The original idea was to have a defensive tactic primarily and I was happy to take a 0-0 against bigger teams. I'm not really happy with that anymore.

I also appreciate you are very reliant on your lone striker having a good game, if he has a bad day its difficult to score goals.

I am considering going to 3 at the back, dropping another poacher up top (I personally like dual poachers in a counter attacking tactic). I would change the wide midfielders to defensive wingers to help protect the flanks, and have them crossing from deep rather than the byline to ensure they don't get caught out of position, well up the pitch and to be more direct/speed up attacks a little bit.

What do you guys think?

Could be quite a good one.

At the moment I am struggling with Portsmouth due to the lack of money to buy players etc. So relying on what I have is not helping. None of the strikers are much good as lone poachers so doubling up might be whats needed

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Tac !!

I play with my french team Lorient, and with the new patch, i loose my last tactic and a lot of match and i try your tactic and my result are very nice !

22 game : 15W - 4D - 3L ... and finishing second of y Champions League group with Chelsea (L 4-1 and win 2-0), Stuttgart (Win 1-0 and Draw 1-1) and Valncia (Win 1-0 and 2-0)

Its loook like the Mourinho's Chelsea ... the Boring Chelsea !

This tactic has been a success for me and I would like to thank.

It is my 2nd season with Arsenal and unfortunately the game has been so realistic so far. My team, just like real Arsenal, tend to concede stupid goals from everywhere. And that's why it was really unrealistic to win any cup.

I will stop talking at this moment and let the screenshot do the talking.

phoYQ.png

And at the moment I am desperate to win something. So I am ok with boring, scrappy 1-0 wins. The only problem with this tactic for me is when the opponent down to 10 men. Since this tactic is not very adventurous, you cannot score and it is embarrassing.

Good Tac !!

I play with my french team Lorient, and with the new patch, i loose my last tactic and a lot of match and i try your tactic and my result are very nice !

22 game : 15W - 4D - 3L ... and finishing second of y Champions League group with Chelsea (L 4-1 and win 2-0), Stuttgart (Win 1-0 and Draw 1-1) and Valncia (Win 1-0 and 2-0)

Its loook like the Mourinho's Chelsea ... the Boring Chelsea !

Thanks for the feedback. I was beginning to think I was the only one it worked for!

This tactic has been a success for me and I would like to thank.

It is my 2nd season with Arsenal and unfortunately the game has been so realistic so far. My team, just like real Arsenal, tend to concede stupid goals from everywhere. And that's why it was really unrealistic to win any cup.

I will stop talking at this moment and let the screenshot do the talking.

phoYQ.png

And at the moment I am desperate to win something. So I am ok with boring, scrappy 1-0 wins. The only problem with this tactic for me is when the opponent down to 10 men. Since this tactic is not very adventurous, you cannot score and it is embarrassing.

Awesome results and a serious amount of clean sheets. Interesting to see it working with a big team.

As promised, here are the results from using your tactic, I'd been conceding nearly every game, and not scoring that many, but here's the results from using your tactic. Bar the Millwall result, which I should have had a draw, their keeper played a blinder, all the results have been good, currently top of the league, by 3 points.

I'm Wolves, pretty much the standard squad, with a couple of additions/loanees.

Bare in mind, I just plugged it in straight away against Southampton and used it from there, so the tactic wasn't fully fluid.

ErSpk.png?1

Oops, Barcelona have just met the £22 million release clause of my star striker on the last day of the January transfer window leaving me well short and no time to replace him. Proper annoying.

Oh, hang on, I've just panic bought this guy for £12m.... looks ok

samueleionnioverviewatt.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My experimentation with a more attacking tactic is over.

It nearly de-railed my season.

I changed back to the original tactic just in time to qualify for the Champions League and pick up the FA cup.

Also got manager of the season.

englishpremierdivisionoz.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As soon as you tweak the tactic to make it more attacking you concede goals are are open to losing games you should not lose.

I see each season as a succession of unbeaten runs, even if you draw games its ok, the run continues and morale is high.

The original tactic is great at this and i'll be sticking with it.

4 or 5 of my starting 11 are only rated as 'decent for premier league' so i know I can improve the squad considerably, i will focus on this and stop messing around with the tactic.

V2 is the only tactic that is working for me on the new patch atm.

I've tried it with Nottm Forest and West Ham (I bought the best Defensive Wingers I could, usually retrained wingbacks/full backs) and with 3 first season re-runs to test it I at least did better than the season expectations.

With V1 and the same teams I usually ended up sacked so please dont give up on V2! :)

Mr U Rosler, It may just be a tactic that could be used with better teams?

If you are referring to v2, you may well be right.

For me, using the original tactic, if I scored 1 goal I knew there was about a 50% chance of keeping a clean sheet and therefore winning even if I didnt score again. I knew there was only about a 5% chance of me conceding 2 goals so it was a draw at worst. So from the position of being 1-0 up i felt very secure.

I didn't have this security with v2 at all. I could win 8-2 one week, lose 3-0 the next.

To be fair, i changed in January and the formation remained 'awkward' for most of the time i was using it.

I have another idea involving the use of a 'defensive forward' which i am working on.

I just feel an extra 5% can be squeezed out of the original tactic.

For me, using the original tactic, if I scored 1 goal I knew there was about a 50% chance of keeping a clean sheet and therefore winning even if I didnt score again. I knew there was only about a 5% chance of me conceding 2 goals so it was a draw at worst. So from the position of being 1-0 up i felt very secure.

I didn't have this security with v2 at all. I could win 8-2 one week, lose 3-0 the next.

To be fair, i changed in January and the formation remained 'awkward' for most of the time i was using it.

I have another idea involving the use of a 'defensive forward' which i am working on.

I may do some extensive testing with your V2 at some point and if it works out, maybe you could post it as a new tactic for better teams.

Good luck with the new idea.

I do like the feel of the tactic, and the amount of chances I was creating is pretty good. Although I feel at times its tactically naive so I dropped the middle CM down into BWM and If necessary I drop him down to DM/AM to tighten the defensive side slightly. I am also going to experiment with dropping the middle CB down into the Libero role for away games with the middle CM down to DM/AM.. And also bringing the LCF down into the AP position..

First game home to Blackburn who "Were" top of my league (championship) and unbeaten in 12 games.. Cardiff 4 - 1 Blackburn :)

Only one game so far, but looks reasonable considering they only had 1 ccc and scored from a corner :)

Mr Rosler, i have been working on a tactic which combines your Wall tac and my Return of the king Tac, as yours was the best defensive one i have tried and i love the attacking ability of mine, the 1st 4 games i have played with the completed tac i have won 1-0, 3-0, 2-0 & 3-0 with amazing possession and ccc's, but before i release it i wondered if you fancied trying it and see if it can be made any better 1st? I feel we could be onto a winner here!

Thanks Ady

Mr Rosler, i have been working on a tactic which combines your Wall tac and my Return of the king Tac, as yours was the best defensive one i have tried and i love the attacking ability of mine, the 1st 4 games i have played with the completed tac i have won 1-0, 3-0, 2-0 & 3-0 with amazing possession and ccc's, but before i release it i wondered if you fancied trying it and see if it can be made any better 1st? I feel we could be onto a winner here!

Thanks Ady

Hi there,

I would love to try it. All my attempts at adding to the attack have taken a lot out of the defence, if you've been able to combine both I would be well impressed.

Can you 'message' me the tactic??

Cheers

Hi there,

I would love to try it. All my attempts at adding to the attack have taken a lot out of the defence, if you've been able to combine both I would be well impressed.

Can you 'message' me the tactic??

Cheers

Check your inbox mate, let me know if it hasn't sent for any reason.

Cheers

Ady

If the tactic is successful i will upload it here which i think it will be so shouldn't be too long!

My results since using this fully have been won 1-0, 3-0, 2-0, 3-0, 3-2 (cup with reserves against chelsea), 5-1, 5-1 so looking good upto now

Next match Man City away so that will be a nice test as i always get beat at the Etihad

Beat City 3-1! they did have more chances and possession but on the counter attack they couldn't live with me! so far so good and my keeper keeps kicking the ball striaght to their player to score for some reason!

If the tactic is successful i will upload it here which i think it will be so shouldn't be too long!

My results since using this fully have been won 1-0, 3-0, 2-0, 3-0, 3-2 (cup with reserves against chelsea), 5-1, 5-1 so looking good upto now

Next match Man City away so that will be a nice test as i always get beat at the Etihad

Beat City 3-1! they did have more chances and possession but on the counter attack they couldn't live with me! so far so good and my keeper keeps kicking the ball striaght to their player to score for some reason!

Do your version of the tactic use one or two strikers? Would love to try it out if you dont mind :)

Sounds good, what team are you playing?

Pleased that you are utilizing counter attacking.

I am currently in mid September with my Stockport County team and although we are unbeaten including Champions League games i am drawing too many games using 'the wall'.

As a mid level team I will be well placed to test the tactic but I will not be back from work until 10pm!

If you are happy with it release it when you are ready, I appreciate you giving me some credit for the tactic but I would start a new thread or it may get lost in this one with 85 posts already.

Good work mate :thup:

Do your version of the tactic use one or two strikers? Would love to try it out if you dont mind :)

it uses 2 strikers, one advanced and one deep lying forward, i'm just doing a test with Reading with no transfers etc to see how it fares then i will make a new thread for it

Sounds good, what team are you playing?

Pleased that you are utilizing counter attacking.

I am currently in mid September with my Stockport County team and although we are unbeaten including Champions League games i am drawing too many games using 'the wall'.

As a mid level team I will be well placed to test the tactic but I will not be back from work until 10pm!

If you are happy with it release it when you are ready, I appreciate you giving me some credit for the tactic but I would start a new thread or it may get lost in this one with 85 posts already.

Good work mate :thup:

I'm Barnsley but in year 2017 and was doing quite well with my tactic but since the patch it was a bit hit and miss, good idea on a new thread as upto now i think it will be worth its own page!

SHITTTTTTTT!!!! my lappy just crashed on my Reading save and i hadn't saved it :mad: it was faring ok though tbh, played 16 won 9, drawn 3, lost 4, but the squad didn't really have the pace required in the wide areas and the creative striker it needs for the deep lying forward so I will make a new thread with the tactic for people to give it a go and give me some feedback, as i can't be bothered now to do any more testing and just gonna carry on with my Barnsley save!

using latest patch with QPR loosing big time with this tactic. Not even close to any of the screendumps from your posts.

Using 2d match engine but that shouldnt make a difference i guess.

Getting outscored, out possessioned nothing - frustrating as hell.

using latest patch with QPR loosing big time with this tactic. Not even close to any of the screendumps from your posts.

Using 2d match engine but that shouldnt make a difference i guess.

Getting outscored, out possessioned nothing - frustrating as hell.

My first 3 seasons with Stockport County in the Premier league i've finished 9th, 8th and 4th so its working for me.

you will still need to be good at everything else, motivating, squad building, maintaining morale, squad rotation, picking right captain, training etc. Mess any of this up and nothing will work.

Additionally, perhaps the fact that i've been at the club for 10 years, are considered an Icon counts for something. Not sure how the reputation system works but perhaps rocking up at a premier league club with no experience makes things more difficult.

Ady911 has a hybrid tactic on the go, maybe try that.

What I dont understand is that the tactic seems to work straight away for most people.....I am getting hammered in my first 10 games. And take a look at QPRs squad it is not even close to being bad at all.

My assistant is taking care of most of the issues you are referring to so that is probably not it.

It is frustrating because I at least want it work OK, but at the moment nothing seems to work - and the media even says it looks like I am out of ideas boooooo.

Any additional assistance you can give or anyone else for that matter - I really would like to understand why this is not working for me.

What I dont understand is that the tactic seems to work straight away for most people.....I am getting hammered in my first 10 games. And take a look at QPRs squad it is not even close to being bad at all.

My assistant is taking care of most of the issues you are referring to so that is probably not it.

It is frustrating because I at least want it work OK, but at the moment nothing seems to work - and the media even says it looks like I am out of ideas boooooo.

Any additional assistance you can give or anyone else for that matter - I really would like to understand why this is not working for me.

I would keep plugging away, morale will be really low now, you just need to break the run of bad results with a win and you should be able to kick on.

If you strengthen the squad, get the best striker you can, pace, dribbling, agility, finishing, composure.

Team talks, while morale is low I would be easy on them at the start of matches, 'no pressure' etc. Still shout at them at half time if you are losing.

Good luck

Mr U Rosler

I thought you may appreciate my feedback to the V1 I have been using with my FC Halifax team.

I used a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic at start, did okay, but at 1 point I slipped to 7th & I was promotion favourites.

I know using other people's tactics can be deemed as cheating but I simply do not have time to create one, I simply just want to play the game & do well at it. What I will do though is go through the team instructions & player instructions, read all the feedback to the tactic & look at the screen shots so I know the tactic inside & out. Every tactic has it pros & cons & this tactic is no different.

I implemented this tactic onto my underachieving FC Halifax team in the Blue Square North after a run of bad form, it was bang half way through the season as it was Boxing Day. I won the 1st game 2-0 then went 15 games unbeaten! I was very impressed to say the least. My CM was scoring for fun as he was always running into the box, I won a lot of games 1-0, drew a few 0-0 which was annoying but it's understandable.... The last game of the season I was 1st, 3 points clear of 2nd... I played a struggling Stalybridge Celtic side, only needed a point.. Lost 1-0 & 2nd won 4-0 so I missed out. This was the 1st time I noticed how difficult it is to get anything out of a game when you go 1-0 down.

However I didn't change the tactic at all, it had been very good to me to get me where I was so used it for the play-offs & won them! & believe it or not in the play-off final I was 1-0 down at half time but won the game 3-1. So I was promoted to the Blue Square Premier. I was very pleased with the tactic, even though I nearly blew promotion! Gareth Seddon for Halifax is a class striker at that level & scored 20 goals. Every highlight he had, he scored. But to my astonishment, he got a terrible injury which ruled him out for 12 months!! I didn't win in my last 3 games since he got injured & I had nobody to score the goals, but luckily I managed to scrape through the play-offs.

So my pre-season started, I released quite a few players I didn't think could make the step up. I had a thin bare squad of 10 players come pre-season. Made a few good signings but I desperately needed a striker to replace Seddon, I signed a 17 year old released from Sheff Wed but he wasn't ready.... I thought the answer to my problems would be a season long loan for Kwesi Appiah from Crystal Palace. My scout had him down as a 5 star rating on current ability. Was really happy to sign him & thought it would be a good idea with Seddon probably not match fit until March/April.

So I thought I had improved my squad greatly for the new challenge in BSP.... A mixture of free transfers, loan players & the best players I had in my promotion winning team went to Gateshead first game of the season & it was a perfect result. 1-0 win with Appiah getting an early goal.

Mixed bag of results followed & I was 9th after around 7 games which I was happy with. However the goals for Appiah & my other striker Callum Willock had dried up so I was getting concerned. & I had good reason. I then went 10 games without a win! Fell to 19th in the table. No real explanation, I did notice a few things, a lot of their goals are crossed hard on low into the box & there's a back post top in for their player... I did however in this bad run of form manage to get some good 0-0 draw away from home at places like Barnet & Lincoln, I stuck with the tactic & noticed I had 2 winnable home games back to back against teams near the bottom. I targeted 2 wins & got them! Won them both 1-0 with early girls then shut up shop. Excellent....

My next game was away at Cambridge. They were in great form so I would have been very happy with a similar performance as to the ones at Barnet & Lincoln during my bad run of results... Lost 3-1 after been very unlucky not to be winning at half time (was 0-0 after 45 mins). I wasn't too downhearted as they were in good form & in the play-off places, I was still confident in this tactic. I drew Stockport in the 4th Qualifying round of the FA Cup, rather than play my fringe players I wasn't in good form so wanted to play my best team. Got a boring 0-0 draw at home (my favourite result :D ) but then won 2-0 at their place, & Willock scored! I had 4 shots to their 9 but that's the beauty of the smash & grab tactic. I then played Doncaster at home in the 1st round a few days later, I was fantastic! Hit the bar, kept things tight against a L1 side... however they scored from a cross & I lost 1-0. I thought I played very well & the match stats backed me up... However the frustrating thing for me was my next game was against Wrexham. Normally up near the top of the table, but they were 23rd & just sacked their manager.... I had a few good early chances but couldn't put the ball in the back of the net! I lost the game 1-0 & I was gutted. Back to square one. Only 4 points clear of the drop zone. This was the last game I played before I switched off last night & I feel pretty frustrated about that game.

My main frustration apart from the inconsistent results is the fact that Appiah who I had such high hopes for has only scored 3 goals... & when I've replaced him with Willock he's only got 2.... I am already in the market for a loan striker.

I hope you appreciate my feedback Mr U Rosler, I look forward to your feedback from this & also if any other Version was uploaded I would be happy to try that.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, its good to see you stuck with the tactic a couple of times when things weren't going your way.

I've learnt that the key role in this tactic is the striker, as he is your main threat and chance of scoring goals. Must have good pace, dribbling, finishing & composure.

Danny Whitehead is a great lower league striker, see if you can get him. He got me 20 goals a season all the away through the leagues from Bet Square Prem to the Championship, he even chipped in with a few goals in the premier league.

Ady911 has a hybrid version of this tactic which is more attacking, you will concede more but will definately score more. Its in this forum called 'the walls of Eric', would be excellent to switch to if you are a goal down at half time etc.

Good luck

its doing ok so far... 4 games, 3 won, 1 drawn... one of the wins against twente enschede in the Champions...

maybe would be better to attack more in serbia, as rivals just drop deep and throw ball to the air

Archived