laptop overheating when playing fm

You can try setting your power options to a low power setting, although this means reducing the processing speed so you may understandably be reluctant. Other than that, your options are to either (or both) open up the thing and clean away any accumulated dust and other nonsense that's making it harder to move cool area around, or invest in a good laptop cooler from Amazon.

Both my previous laptops had issues with overheating, and FM's a prime culprit given that it does an enormous amount of processing, working the CPUs hard. Laptop coolers solved both issues, but you do need a good one - not a cheap plastic tat with a pathetic fan.

If your laptops overheating, it's very unlikely to be down to anything fixable in FM. It's an extremely intensive game, and my laptop will often heat up to the point it gives up if it's not put somewhere it can vent properly. FM12 made it run hot, but FM13 has seemed to heat it even more.

To fix it, like others have said either open up the laptop and clean out the fans in case they're blocked or invest in some kind of cooling for the laptop. There's no real "software" fix, other than gating the laptop so it physically can't run as fast as FM needs it to.

You might want to try something like game booster. My laptop is below spec and suffers also from overheating. Using game booster helps significantly.

That's true. It also gives you some handy information on exactly how hot each part of the system is getting. Of course, usually you can tell if the laptop is burning a hole in your thighs...

How good is this game booster? and what version are you running?

I'm running the latest version, 3 I think. It's a good program. Like I say my laptop is under spec and it runs well enough, with minimal leagues obviously but good enough. I've used it for last 3 FMs with no issues.

my laptop keeps overheating when playing fm13 a never had issue with this before a played 2seasons with fulham and was fine nothing but a started with rangers and its now happend 3 times any ideas how can stop this happening

I was having this issue with FM12 whilst in the middle of a match. I did a search and found other people with the same laptop, a Lenovo Y550, encountering the same problem while playing other games. Their answers were to upgrade the BIOS drivers (found on your computer manufacturer's website).

Did that and I've yet to crash again. But I haven't gone through many matches either.

• Administrators
I was having this issue with FM12 whilst in the middle of a match. I did a search and found other people with the same laptop, a Lenovo Y550, encountering the same problem while playing other games. Their answers were to upgrade the BIOS drivers (found on your computer manufacturer's website).

Did that and I've yet to crash again. But I haven't gone through many matches either.

Thanks for this info :thup:

This is excellent advice. Installed Game booster, Laptop fan still going crazy when playing a match. Thought maybe gonna have to invest in a laptop cooler. Updated my BIOS, just played a two hour FM session with no trouble at all. Cheers Harper :thup:

Did the Bios stop the fan going crazy, because mine is at the moment?

Thank You

Sure did. Go to the start menu and type msinfo32 assuming you are running vista/7. Under processor it will give you you're current BIOS. Next go to the manufacturer's Website to see if there are any updates, mine took 2 mins.

If laptop is overheating, fix it the proper way. Clean out dust and dirt inside, and don't forget to clean fan blades - an often overlooked area, but there's not a lot of dirt that needs to be accumulated on the fan blades themselves before they start to get seriously un-efficient.

Other than that - FM has always been a game that makes the processor generate a lot of heat, allmost constantly. So FM will be one of the tasks where people will notice un-efficient cooling the most - either as the result of a poorly designed cooling system, or because of gathered dust and dirt.

i just updated the Bios and now the fan is not going crazy. You still hear it but not as loud. Like Stewart says, it was going crazy when playing a match. Now its a bit quieter. Thank You Harper and Stewart, it seems to be working good.

I'm using the desktop PC and last night when demo finished downloading I started the game and my HDD started going nuts, and started producing all kind of sounds. Eventually I had to turn off FM and it stop immediately. Also my fan was going crazy too, I could heard it in the other room.

Archived