Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

What do you suggest me about that ?

I suggest you open a new thread and detail your whole set up (mentality, fluidity, roles, duties, player and team instructions).

Your issue is tactical, and without knowing how your striker fits into your whole set up, no advice can be given.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a keeper has high Aerial ability >15 and low jumping reach <10, does that mean his Aerial ability is redundant because he won't be able to reach the ball anyway?

No. Jumping reach is more relevant for outfield players, as it determines how high a players' leap actually takes him - so it is useful for knowing how much of an aerial threat a player is defensively / offensively.

As far as keepers' go, it's only really relevant for Sweeper Keepers if they need to be able to head a ball outside their box.

Sorry I'm still confused.

Say there are 2 Keepers:

Keeper A: 15 Aerial Ability, 5 Jumping Reach

Keeper B: 5 Aerial Ability, 15 Jumping Reach

Which Keeper will be harder to lob?

Which Keeper will be more effective dealing with floated crosses?

Say there are 2 Keepers:

As I stated earlier, Aerial Ability is the one to prioritise.

Jumping reach is more relevant for outfield players.

Say there are 2 Keepers:

Aerial Ability = arm/hand reach

Jumping = head reach

Height has some effect on both in certain situations, but they should be considered apart from one another.

Consider dropping the Hassle Opponents, and instead use Roles in midfield and up front that Close Down More by default, and/or those who have PIs where they can be asked to Close Down More.

Pressing is far safer if done as far from your goal as possible - it's a job for attackers and midfielders really.

Thanks for the advice. Now my tactic is far more consistent after dropping hassle opponents.

thanks, think a forward, one to one, only goalkeeper and the forward. My forward shots and gk saves every time. How can i solve it ? (my forward is benteke now)

You have been asked a few times now to post your overall set up to give things context.

Unless you do this, you cannot be helped.

Start a thread detailing everything, and then include screenshots of passages of play where a shot is missed.

We've had several threads like this in recent history, and it is typically over-expectation on behalf of the poster. You cannot, and will not score every time.

There are some acknowledged issues with shooting, but only in the sense that when a player misses, it is often a tame shot.

All that will happen in FM15 is that these shots will be better placed, but they will still be saved, as there is no issue with the goal count in FM.

s61KOlf.jpg

What the hell is that CB positioning supposed to represent and how do I make it stop? It consistently happens with every CB I have on either side when someone's in a position for a deep(ish) cross - the nearest CB pushes up while the furthest drops back perfectly in line with the lone forward just to play him onside. Both CB's are set to defend and there are no closing down instructions except for the whole team being told to stand off. Honestly, I think I'll completely lose the plot if I concede from another near post header through that pattern.

There does seem to be a tendency for a DC to step up unnecessarily in some circumstances.

This is easily mitigated by using a DM, which seems to suppress that behaviour, or a back three, which I haven't seen exhibit this behaviour at all.

However, both of those represent a compromise you mightn't want to make. What Mentality are you using?

Counter. Also there is a DM as well as a DLP(d) in MC. Just baffles me, it's like they deliberately set up the forward for a free header at the near post.

With the presence of 2 DMs, this sounds very odd.

Out of interest, does this behaviour continue if you set both DCs to Cover Duties?

With the presence of 2 DMs, this sounds very odd.

Out of interest, does this behaviour continue if you set both DCs to Cover Duties?

Yeah. I actually had both on cover at first so initially thought it was something related to that (some sort of hard coded cover movement or something) but it's the same on any duty. All the duties seem to change is the timing of vertical closing down.

Edit - actually had a lightbulb moment. The offside trap. Wouldn't exactly make a lot of sense using it with a line that deep, but I now have to see how it affects this.

Edit 2 - ha. It only makes the other defenders stay in line while one still drops to play the striker onside :(

cWZGLB6.jpg

Ha! Try playing with no defenders :)

In all seriousness, that is a pain. How often would you say the behaviour is as pronounced as in the original screen shot? How often does it lead to a chance / goal?

I know that some defensive bugs remain, but can't recall this specific example appearing in the Bugs Forum.

EDIT - Something sprang to mind - do you use Tight Marking at all?

I suppose it's more pronounced because it's virtually the only pattern through open play that the AI consistently hurts me with. Suppose it's not extremely often. But the teams who play quick and wide against me keep getting chances through this. I'm not sure I'm able to put up a decent case in the bugs forum, that's partly why I asked. I'm not a defender and I don't know much about the details of holding a defensive line so as far as I know they might be doing this for a tactical reason I'm not aware of.

Edit - no tight marking for the CB's, although I'm not sure what the default would be (isn't it still tight?)

I suppose it's more pronounced because it's virtually the only pattern through open play that the AI consistently hurts me with. Suppose it's not extremely often. But the teams who play quick and wide against me keep getting chances through this. I'm not sure I'm able to put up a decent case in the bugs forum, that's partly why I asked. I'm not a defender and I don't know much about the details of holding a defensive line so as far as I know they might be doing this for a tactical reason I'm not aware of.

I'm not a defender either, but it seems counter-intuitive to have players demonstrating some sort of Stopper behaviour, even when it hasn't been explicitly requested.

Of course, the game is attempting to simulate human behaviour, which can't be easy so you could call those "bad decisions", but I'm not sure if that would wash :)

Aside from using Stay On Feet, Stand Off, Be More Disciplined as TIs, or PIs like Ease Off Tackles (can Hold Position or Close Down Less be applied to a Cover Defender? I have a feeling one of them can, I'm not on the game at the moment so can't check), I'm out of ideas.

I'm not a defender either, but it seems counter-intuitive to have players demonstrating some sort of Stopper behaviour, even when it hasn't been explicitly requested.

It doesn't look like stopper behavior, it's just one defender (the nearest to the winger) pushing slightly higher (not closing down anyone) and the other dropping off, creating that perfect pocket for the striker. Usually happens with a lone ST and most frequently against the AML/ST/AMR setup.

On the subject of OI's, does the 'show on foot' work as intended? I've tried to get the full backs to show the wingers inside but getting very little joy. In fact I'm struggling to see any effect. Sometimes it does seem that they slightly encourage them towards their weak side but even then the winger still generally gets his cross in with the stronger foot. What do I have to do to make them shepherd the wingers towards the CB's?

On wingers, yes. Tight marking and hard tackling.

This will sound really silly but can you try without OI's in the next game? The reason being is I used OI's the other day (to deal with danger on the wings) and I noticed some really strange behaviour from my centrebacks that doesn't happen without the OI's. For some reason my centreback seemed to be confused and didn't know whether to go out wide or stay central and the end result was something similar to your screenshot where he ended up doing neither.

This will sound really silly but can you try without OI's in the next game? The reason being is I used OI's the other day (to deal with danger on the wings) and I noticed some really strange behaviour from my centrebacks that doesn't happen without the OI's. For some reason my centreback seemed to be confused and didn't know whether to go out wide or stay central and the end result was something similar to your screenshot where he ended up doing neither.

Will do, thanks. Also thank you RT for the advice as well. I'll see if I can sort it and if not, maybe I can gather something for the bugs forum.

Will do, thanks. Also thank you RT for the advice as well. I'll see if I can sort it and if not, maybe I can gather something for the bugs forum.

Cleon's points about OIs may be key.

I use FMC and therefore have no option to use OIs, and I don't see this behaviour often enough to be concerned.

EDIT - In FM13, I played Simulation Mode, and rapidly came to the conclusion that whilst some OIs are handy, some are too influential over the shape and behaviour of your team. I'll be interested to hear what happens if you remove these OIs.

Cleon's points about OIs may be key.

I use FMC and therefore have no option to use OIs, and I don't see this behaviour often enough to be concerned.

EDIT - In FM13, I played Simulation Mode, and rapidly came to the conclusion that whilst some OIs are handy, some are too influential over the shape and behaviour of your team. I'll be interested to hear what happens if you remove these OIs.

I never use OI's never but was writing something for CCC about OI's and used them to to show how the side can become disjointed and that they can lose shape. I saw some weird stuff to say the least :D

I never use OI's never but was writing something for CCC about OI's and used them to to show how the side can become disjointed and that they can lose shape. I saw some weird stuff to say the least :D

It's another of FMs fairly ambiguous and opaque areas.

OIs *sound* like a good idea, and some of them can be, but anything that your article does in CCC to reveal just how significant an impact they have, will be beneficial to the FM community! Another good reason to use FMC - less to worry about :)

I'm afraid it still happens with no OI's for the wingers. Like this

CedSBl3.jpg

These are two different defenders to the ones in the previous screenshots.

I did have hard tackling on midfielders still on (always do, have it saved in my tactic like that) but surely that can't play a role? The FB with the ball is completely on his own, but the CB isn't closing him down (he's too far away and he is in this position even before it gets passed back to the FB).

It's another of FMs fairly ambiguous and opaque areas.

OIs *sound* like a good idea, and some of them can be, but anything that your article does in CCC to reveal just how significant an impact they have, will be beneficial to the FM community! Another good reason to use FMC - less to worry about :)

+1 to basically never using OIs unless you're carefully setting up the entirety of a tactic to negate a specific player

This is actually a really interesting topic as OI use and over-use is something that has significant (if often overlooked) implications for AI performance as well.

On wingers, yes. Tight marking and hard tackling.

I find easy tackling to work best on wingers. My fullbacks then are more inclined to try to stop the cross than to win the ball back and the defending is more robust. But you may still have some trouble if the wingers are much faster than your FBs and hug the line.

Anyway, you 'd better follow Cleon's suggestion first, so that you see what difference the OI make afterwards.

I find easy tackling to work best on wingers. My fullbacks then are more inclined to try to stop the cross than to win the ball back and the defending is more robust. But you may still have some trouble if the wingers are much faster than your FBs and hug the line.

Anyway, you 'd better follow Cleon's suggestion first, so that you see what difference the OI make afterwards.

I've tried all sorts, but have come to the conclusion that I'd rather see an early-ish tackle on them because if they're allowed to slowly waltz to the byline they usually get their cross in regardless of whether there is a defender or two directly in the way or not. It might be that my players are all poor (its BSP) but they can't stop a cross even if it's straight at them.

What I would actually like the FBs to do is shepherd the winger into a CB. But as I mentioned above, I've had zero joy with that. They just won't properly show them inside.

What shape and settings do you actually use? Is there any chance of seeing a PKM or a video of the clip of this happening? I ask because in every single screenshot you have 7+ players basically doing nothing. It would be good to see the positioning and what the players were doing in the build up to the play as the screenshots alone make the situation look a bit weird. It might give us more to go on then and might be able to spot what the real issue is or whether it is indeed a bug.

My fullback loses down and makes the wingers come inside or forces them to come inside quite often, so if I see your set up it might help :)

[video=youtube_share;H55xIs1AD1w]

There are probably players standing back because they're set to stand off on a counter strategy. Also, in all of those shots there are only two or three opponents actually attacking the box. I'm still not sure how to record random clips in this game, the record button is always greyed out for me. Going out in a moment now so I'll see about screenshots later. What is that clip of yours showing btw? By shepherding I meant actually forcing them to move inside by denying the route outside them. My players never do that even when told to show onto foot. Maybe they're just too poor to do that?

Ooh. This is quite interesting.

I often use "Hassle opponents" as a team instruction and it was only recently that I read that this was generally considered to be a bit of a no-no in tactical circles, (because it drags players out of position). Because I only just sort of pop in and out of this forum and only really look at certain specific threads, I was completely oblivious to this and it seems to be working reasonably well. (Just 17 Serie A goals conceded last season and that's even without what I would class as a good enough right back).

Maybe I'm lucky in that I just slowly slowly slowly evolve a tactic over time, (rather than creating a tactic that I expect to do everything that I want immediately. The suggestion that you should also always have a midfielder on (d) duty also seems to be at odds with what I am using, (and seem to be doing ok with).

I am not saying that THoG and RTH are wrong, (FAR from it), but that it's possible to get most things to work if you adapt other things. How I get it to wok, (I think), is getting it to work even more than just hassle. I properly close down and go in hard on many many players and it's really only playmakers in the DM line that cause me a problem, (I need to come up with an alternative for that). Where as your reaction might be to close down less when on hassle, I actually go the opposite way. It's close-close-close-close-close-close and close some more and if they are good enough then they might be lucky and create a hard chance with some high tempo play against my World Class GK.

If this was the other way around however and we were the AI team who were struggling to convert chances created with a very high temp style, then it might be suggested that the reason we are missing these chances is because of a lack of time, (and space), on the ball and that the opportunities are being missed because they are being rushed. To my mind, standing off a little, (the effect of removing the "hassle" instruction), actually gives the AI the time it needs to create better chances and to then the time and space to convert them.

My GK kept 24 clean sheets out of 38 games last season and I am not exactly making it easy for him. He takes free-kicks so is often stranded upfield on the flanks when he shouldn't be, and because I am managing San Marino he laso has to contend with below-par players playing at full-back as I blood players for the experience.

I also play with a Regista, who seems keen to press even more than the others, (which I both love and dislike intensely), and it sort of sets the tone for the pressing style. It must also be said that I use a SK(a), and defend neither deep nor high, (simply because I don't want to drop back because it doesn't suit the overall style), yet I don't want to leave ourselves exposed either.

I do see an issue with defenders diving in when we are being countered, but it's a balancing act. I would never have thought that we were playing in a way that was contrary to what was considered best practice.

[Edit]

I must add that this style causes me horrendous disciplinary issues, (especially at full back), and as a result subs are no longer a tactical option and are simply there to come in for players to avoid them getting sent off. Playing in Serie A I have 12 subs, (and don't use a GK), so I have at least 1 option for every position). In some seasons I have a yellow cards rate of above 70% for my full-backs, (especially my right back). 19 is the highest yellow card count I can find but I think I used to have a left back who got 20+.

When I have played in other Nations with fewer subs, (Scotland for example), I have struggled with only 6 outfield subs. 2 full backs, a centre-half, and centre mid a wide player and a striker is not ideal, but I just can't cope without full-backs.

While I am here....

Äktsjon & Lyssien. You are talking about OI'sm but you seem to be getting caught up in what instruction you give against what opposition position, (ie. winger). That's not the way I see it at all. Yes of course you have a an idea in your head, but if the opposition player, (that's the player himself rather than the position he plays in), doesn't fit nicely into what you want to do, then you need to have a rethink. You are not marking a position. You are marking a player.

For this reason I always set OI's by player rather than by position. If you have a player who is going to struggle against the player you are asking him to close down/mark tightly/whatever, then no matter that you want this to happen because it suits your overall plan, it will be counter-productive.

I don't understand either hard tackling or easy tackling on wingers. What works for one winger really well might just not be suitable at all for the winger you are facing the following week, (or even in the same match but on the other flank).

I often use "Hassle opponents" as a team instruction and it was only recently that I read that this was generally considered to be a bit of a no-no in tactical circles, (because it drags players out of position). Because I only just sort of pop in and out of this forum and only really look at certain specific threads, I was completely oblivious to this and it seems to be working reasonably well. (Just 17 Serie A goals conceded last season and that's even without what I would class as a good enough right back).

It's just a certain few who say this but it isn't true. Hassle opponents is fine all the time if you want to use it. It can drag people out of position as it makes players close down more aggressively but they only have more space to cover if they're deep or the players in-front of them aren't where they should be and they have to cover someone else's space. It's all about context really and what it's used in conjunction with. If you dropped deep and hassle opponents they'd have bigger gaps and likelyhood is more space to cover so they would be out of position. However if you used a normal/highline and hassle opponents then it shouldn't really be a big issue unless someone is caught out somewhere. But that happens regardless of what settings you use, its inevitable at some point.

Maybe I'm lucky in that I just slowly slowly slowly evolve a tactic over time, (rather than creating a tactic that I expect to do everything that I want immediately. The suggestion that you should also always have a midfielder on (d) duty also seems to be at odds with what I am using, (and seem to be doing ok with).

Again it all depends. If you want to defend high up the pitch then you ATTACKING/SUPPORT CM's works fine. It's all about how close the players are that should determine what duties you use. If there is going to be a big gap between them when 1 moves into an attacking phase then it does make sense to have 1 stay deeper to provide cover. But if you think the defence can handle it and don't need extra cover then defending from the front with attacking/supporting roles can be a great strategy to use.

The thing is anything is possible in the game its all about the context. No-one should be saying this can't work or you shouldn't be using that because that's never true. You might have conflicting roles/duties/settings that go against a shout or settings and you shouldn't use it for what you've created but that should never be a hard rule that is applied to every single thing. Because it's all about relevance and what the system you are using with the roles selected allows.

THOG and RT normally tell people it all depends though and never tell someone this doesn't work or that they should use it as a hard and fast rule.

Yeah, RT and I often point to Hassle because people are having a specific problem (for example, DC keeps rushing out) and it's the obvious cause.

I do have some issues with the principle of using Hassle as much as people seem to, especially combined with a deep line, but this ties in with broader ME issues and isn't really a question of something not working in the here and now.

... which is to say, I think most people use Hassle for the same reason you do: to get their defenders to close down more quickly in deeper areas as opposed to allowing midfielders several seconds on the ball even when they're in a part of the pitch where your press should already be in full swing, but this shouldn't be necessary (especially with all the undesirable knock-on effects of using Hassle) and isn't really what it's supposed to represent (which would be all-out, manic pressing style like a Guardiola side chasing a winner in the last 2 minutes).

While I am here....

Äktsjon & Lyssien. You are talking about OI'sm but you seem to be getting caught up in what instruction you give against what opposition position, (ie. winger). That's not the way I see it at all. Yes of course you have a an idea in your head, but if the opposition player, (that's the player himself rather than the position he plays in), doesn't fit nicely into what you want to do, then you need to have a rethink. You are not marking a position. You are marking a player.

For this reason I always set OI's by player rather than by position. If you have a player who is going to struggle against the player you are asking him to close down/mark tightly/whatever, then no matter that you want this to happen because it suits your overall plan, it will be counter-productive.

I don't understand either hard tackling or easy tackling on wingers. What works for one winger really well might just not be suitable at all for the winger you are facing the following week, (or even in the same match but on the other flank).

Jim, sure, I was talking about the generic case. If I find no particular reason to use something different, I gravitate towards easy tackling against wingers. That's what I meant.

Well, that's a matter of approach. My playing style isn't reactive nor do I like making assumptions. Sure, one player might have this or that attribute but who's to say how well he'll actually play, what his mindset is etc. You'd have to watch the match in detail and then decide and I don't do that in my long term games. So my gameplan has to be about what my team does instead of the opposition. If a single player is taking my team apart, sure, I'll react. But I've always used the OI's exactly like I would use personal instructions. If I want my left back to go in hard on one winger then I generally want him to do it against any winger because the rest of the shape is set up so he can do that in a way that when he fails it doesn't automatically end in disaster.

In any case, I promised screenshots of my team shape, can't provide them atm as I'll not be near that PC until next week but it's an asymmetrical 4-1-3-1-1. It's lopsided in a way that the left side doesn't have a player in the (A)ML slot whilst there is a winger in MR. There is a DM on the right and a DLP in MC slot on the left. I occasionally specifically mark the opposition right back with the DLP but only when I'm getting overrun down that side which isn't often. It roughly looks like this IIRC:

CF(s)

T(a)

DLP(d) CM(a)   WM(a)

BWM(s)

WB(a) BPB(d) BPB(d) WB(s)

We're having a great defensive season with only 21 goals conceded in 33 which must be the reason the near post headers started sticking out to me - it's the only thing that is a pattern. So it's either something I'm doing or what the game is doing or simply something that is happening because it's supposed to happen for a reason I'm not aware of. Anyway once I'm back on my home PC I'll look into uploading a video but again, I'm not sure how to record a random sequence like the one in Cleon's post. There is a record button when I rewind but it's always greyed out and not usable.

Edit - I actually watched last nights match between Germany and Ghana trying to pay attention to defensive line movement and saw similar behavior by both defenses (which were admittedly both performing very poorly overall). The thing I noticed which I also see in the last screenshot I posted - the CB on either side tends to go with their FB so if they're not working in unison it can result in that central pocket. Is CB positioning supposed to primarily work very closely in tandem with the FB on their side as opposed to their CB partner? It would explain the positioning issues to me.

Hello,

quite confused I need an answer. Can a player become natural to a position by training? Or just accomplished in the best case?

They can become natural. The time it takes will depend on a few factors, including hidden stats.

The best way to increase the likelihood of them making it all the way to natural is to start retraining them when they are young, and to play them in the desired "new" position.

Can someone pls help me? Im doing a "SAF-challenge" i am Palace and I'm trying to build my team like Diego S have done in atletico and the other day i read on the internet that Simeone demands aggression and heart from his players, but it was more elaborative. First and foremost, have anyone read that article because I'm trying to get players fitting his mould I've been scanning my internet history for hours and used google without finding that particular article again!

Aggression(4), bravery(1), determination(5 because tutoring options), work rate(3) and teamwork(2) coupled with good physical stats. These are the primary stats i look for, any other suggestions?

• SI Staff
They can become natural. The time it takes will depend on a few factors, including hidden stats.

The best way to increase the likelihood of them making it all the way to natural is to start retraining them when they are young, and to play them in the desired "new" position.

Hello

I know that it's a matter of versatility and age, I also consider the staff (tactical one). In fact, I just needed somebody to confirm to me, I knew it was possible in the previous opus but for some unknown reason I thought it changed now.

:o

Thank you.

Hello

I know that it's a matter of versatility and age, I also consider the staff (tactical one). In fact, I just needed somebody to confirm to me, I knew it was possible in the previous opus but for some unknown reason I thought it changed now.

:o

Thank you.

Staff makes no difference. But yes players can become natural.

Can anyone tell me what happened to the "pass to feet" shout. I see it seems to still have some use in FMC, but nothing in Simulation mode.

What do you mean "it seems to still have some use in FMC" please? There are no option in FMC that aren't in Simulation Mode.

Pass To Feet is effectively the default option.

Will the youth rating of a country ever change? say i am managing in the Norwegian league,

the youth rating is

Which is very low, and in 3 years of regens the highest PA was something like high 120´s, which is basically nothing and making it very difficult to produce good youth to come into the first team (which i have to, because i have no money)

Hi,

So I'm fairly new to creating my own tactic and I still find it hard to get a grasp of what I'm doing. I'm a middle ranked team in the Skrill South (I want to get in the Premier League) and I'm trying to get my side to play attacking football, while still being responsible at the back. I've created this set up now:

2apfUjO.png

I also gave the players different instructions like "pass it shorter" when they didn't have good passing and "cross less often" when their crossing was bad.

At first glance, can you tell if there is anything wrong with my tactic, because I seem to lose or draw games I should win.

What do you mean "it seems to still have some use in FMC" please? There are no option in FMC that aren't in Simulation Mode.

Pass To Feet is effectively the default option.

When you go to create a match plan in FMC there are certain option that note that using this will activate the "pass to feet " shout.

When you go to create a match plan in FMC there are certain option that note that using this will activate the "pass to feet " shout.

That just sounds like a UI bug. There are some signs of a legacy of the old shouts still knocking about in the game.

The shout "Pass Into Feet" does not exist any more. In this instance, it just means that that the team passing is on default.

Hi I'm creating my own counter attack tactic with Juve and my question is about the def line, what's the effect of push higher? I'm pairing it with short pass and don't know what to expect or what I will see.

and also on tutoring: should I try to match personalities ?

(I've been reading that Ajax thread)