Error = " The game currently unavailable. Please try again at another time ".

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Next week - how to construct a neural network with the intelligence levels of a 10 year old child ... in 3 easy steps!!!

Seriously guys .. bin steam .. it causes more problems then it cures ..

What about the 1000s of people who don't visit the FM forums and are now left with, in their mind, a broken game and not a clue how to fix it?

I agree with Thunda... I was lucky to have found this forum weeks ago while researching about the new features of FM12... I pity those who don't know how to fix this problem!

They will be smart enough to go to steam/fm forums if in need

I think you over-estimate people .. a 12 year old kid would? A 65 year old bloke who knows nothing about PCs or how they work yet plays FM to pass the time?

I would hazard a guess that most people who play FM probably don't even know the forum exists ..

Neil do you think this is acceptable for customers to have todo once they have purchased the game? I now have to go out so am unable to try again and play FM. I get very little time to play the game anyway due to work and girlfriend commitments, so when i get a spare few hours like today i jump around the house for joy in anticipation to play FM. Now i cant........ acceptable??

Some people are unbelievable on this site, you are one of the worst i've seen, a little trip to google would help you fix your problem. Steam isn't really that hard to use, I had the same problem took 5 - 10 minutes to fix it, only requires the smallest bit of intelligence which you seem to lack.

YAY!!!! Got it to work after the 2nd attempt of verifying!! Thanks for all the help Neil and all the rest of you guys here in the forum! Much apprecieated!!

Yeh it seems to be you need to verify twice, first time you get 45Mb, second time you get 61 Mb and then if you click play it updates the game and kicks in.

Well, seems to have worked! Like others have said, seems as if you have to verify twice for it to work again.

Yeh, like you have to get the first batch before it realises it hasn't got the second batch:confused: sounds like something my wife would organise:D

Neil do you think this is acceptable for customers to have todo once they have purchased the game? I now have to go out so am unable to try again and play FM. I get very little time to play the game anyway due to work and girlfriend commitments, so when i get a spare few hours like today i jump around the house for joy in anticipation to play FM. Now i cant........ acceptable??

you mean things in this world do not work every time without fail? *gasp*

for me, as with others, i had to verify the files twice and the game worked without a problem.

without complaining.

so for people not wanting to go back through and actually read how to do it, and would rather ask "how?" and then complain...

1. open steam

2. right click fm12

3. click properties

4. click "local files" tab

5. click "verify integrity of game cache..."

wait for it to complete verifying, then downloading.

exit steam.

restart steam,

REPEAT STEPS 1-5 AGAIN

then you should be good to go.

I wonder if marcysaint got his game working since he got very silent in this thread?

I must admit I laughed alot at his posts.. gotta love how people can get THAT angry over such a minor setback. (assuming it was the double-verify thingy that caused his problems)

Anyhoo, weird that this happen at all.. I have many games on Steam and have never experienced this problem myself..

for me, as with others, i had to verify the files twice and the game worked without a problem.

without complaining.

so for people not wanting to go back through and actually read how to do it, and would rather ask "how?" and then complain...

1. open steam

2. right click fm12

3. click properties

exit steam.

restart steam,

REPEAT STEPS 1-5 AGAIN

Worked !!!

It's OK saying you have many games on Steam with no problems......BUT people ARE having problems with FM12 & Steam, I can understand why people are getting angry - they've paid good money for something and unless Steam lets you - you cannot play it

users are at the mercy of a 3rd party. I activated my game via steam but surely if I want nothing more to do with it shouldn't that be MY choice??

shouldn't HAVE to do this though, it's a crock. and Neil - for years I've downloaded updates from external sites with a damn lot less hassle than Steam is. bad bad decision.

I hope you're not serious. the process of verifying cache data is about as easy as it gets. i'm quite certain you could teach a monkey to do it.

shouldn't HAVE to do this though, it's a crock. and Neil - for years I've downloaded updates from external sites with a damn lot less hassle than Steam is. bad bad decision.

What is it that you "shouldnt have to do"? verify cache?.. well how is that more hassle than having to download the patch from some website? Surely both are very trivial and take no time to do.

Get off the "I hate steam"-horse and just live with it.. complaining on the forums will not help you in any way.. It will only make you look bad in other peoples eyes.

I only had to verify once and it worked no problem. I tried to get on, got the error message, came on the forum to see if I was the only one, saw Neils message about how to fix it, tried it, and now it works. All in the space of 10 minutes.

It's OK saying you have many games on Steam with no problems......BUT people ARE having problems with FM12 & Steam, I can understand why people are getting angry - they've paid good money for something and unless Steam lets you - you cannot play it

users are at the mercy of a 3rd party. I activated my game via steam but surely if I want nothing more to do with it shouldn't that be MY choice??

Do you think acting like a spoilt little brat on the forums will help fix the game?.. I'm guessing no..

So instead people should take a deep breath and listen to the advice from SI and try the different possible solutions. If it turns out that it is unfixable (highly unlikely) they can demand the money back. No need to behave like cavemen...

without complaining.

1. open steam

2. right click fm12

3. click properties

exit steam.

restart steam,

REPEAT STEPS 1-5 AGAIN

did it twice and worked

I only had to verify once and it worked no problem. I tried to get on, got the error message, came on the forum to see if I was the only one, saw Neils message about how to fix it, tried it, and now it works. All in the space of 10 minutes.

And I suspect this is what 90-95% of all people would experience if they just would relax and try it out..

oh and good for you that you got it working :)

well i had one of my only steam issues today because of this! Tried to start and it said it was unavaliable, then it updated and told me my .exe file was missing when i tried to use my FM12shortcut, so i verified the cache, then i got a crash dump every time i started up, verified the cache again and boom back in buisness!! Some humble pie for me i must say :D

I do everything, restart the PC and now double click FM 2012, " Preparing to launch Football Manager 2012 " message box appear like 1 hour already, is this what we call updating ??? :confused:

did you verify cache twice?

I hope you're not serious. the process of verifying cache data is about as easy as it gets. i'm quite certain you could teach a monkey to do it.
You arrogant little... :D

How on earth is someone fumbling with steam for the first time and who doesn't even know the forum exists supposed to sit there looking at the game they paid for not working and magically go "oh I know, I just need to verify cache data 9 times".

As crazy as it apparently seems to some people, I'm afraid that the vast majority of computer users (and football fans) have absolutely no interest in the inner workings of computer game provisioning services.

The logic being thrown around here to excuse what's happening is absolutely ridiculous.

Guys I don't know what happeneing. Been playing the New FM12 through steam, but all of a sudden I tried loading the FM12 from the desk top shortcut as I do, steam loads but not the game. Whilst on stem I go to the games library and try loading it from there but again nothing loads. PLEASE HELP

IMO it was easier clicking a link to download a file and letting the .exe do all the work, never had ANY problems and no, i won't get off the 'i hate steam' horse. and if i look bad in your eyes - tough. I've paid my money and I have a right to complain if it's not to my satisfaction - and I'm not alone. I've been playing FM (and CM before that) for years and the only versions I've had problems with are the ones that have involved Steam.

spoilt little brat???? i'm nearly 40 years old!!!!!

what's so hard for you that people ARE having problems with this

yes i've followed the advice given and it has worked - but not everybody knows their way round forums

You arrogant little... :D

How on earth is someone fumbling with steam for the first time and who doesn't even know the forum exists supposed to sit there looking at the game they paid for not working and magically go "oh I know, I just need to verify cache data 9 times".

As crazy as it apparently seems to some people, I'm afraid that the vast majority of computer users (and football fans) have absolutely no interest in the inner workings of computer game provisioning services.

The logic being thrown around here to excuse what's happening is absolutely ridiculous.

Of course some people will have difficulties, but surely those people would have the exact same problem with patches before steam.. they wouldnt even know the patches existed and therefore would "live" with the bugs, crash-dump and soforth. It works both ways.

The major benefit with Steam is that now all people will get the patch (however some tend to have problem with installing patches apparently) - This, however, isnt a FM issue, but a Steam issue and I'm pretty sure 99,9% of all users that experience the problem will get help, unlike before where MANY had to accept the bugs and crashes.

IMO it was easier clicking a link to download a file and letting the .exe do all the work, never had ANY problems and no, i won't get off the 'i hate steam' horse. and if i look bad in your eyes - tough. I've paid my money and I have a right to complain if it's not to my satisfaction - and I'm not alone. I've been playing FM (and CM before that) for years and the only versions I've had problems with are the ones that have involved Steam.

spoilt little brat???? i'm nearly 40 years old!!!!!

what's so hard for you that people ARE having problems with this

yes i've followed the advice given and it has worked - but not everybody knows their way round forums

Just to point it out.. I didnt call YOU a spoilt little brat (sorry if that offended you) :) - It was meant for those that come with fire to burn SI down because they lost a game they "shouldnt have" or something ;)

I totally agree that this is a not good and yes, people are allowed to complain.. I didnt say otherwise.. I said that those that dont complain, but instead act like monkeys shouldnt do that.. they should complain instead in a mature fashion.. they are only hurting themselves by acting like that..

Guys I don't know what happeneing. Been playing the New FM12 through steam, but all of a sudden I tried loading the FM12 from the desk top shortcut as I do, steam loads but not the game. Whilst on stem I go to the games library and try loading it from there but again nothing loads. PLEASE HELP

do you get any error messages?

Of course some people will have difficulties, but surely those people would have the exact same problem with patches before steam.. they wouldnt even know the patches existed and therefore would "live" with the bugs, crash-dump and soforth. It works both ways.
How many v1 releases of FM/CM have had a bug which stopped the user from ever playing the game? That's the difference.
The major benefit with Steam is that now all people will get the patch (however some tend to have problem with installing patches apparently) - This, however, isnt a FM issue, but a Steam issue
It could absolutely be 100% down to an issue with Steam, but considering SI forced that choice onto their customer base knowing full well that a large portion of users were going to have huge issues (see staff posts in other thread about other Steam releases) it is absolutely their fault, and responsibility.
and I'm pretty sure 99,9% of all users that experience the problem will get help, unlike before where MANY had to accept the bugs and crashes.
Wait, what? You're sure 99.9% of users will 'get help' when steam stops their game from working, but without Steam none of them would have been able to 'get help' with issues caused by a lack of patching? Evidently I've missed out on the complimentary Steam Fairy with every purchase. ¬_¬

Verifying stuff twice or more... hmmmm. Maybe somebody should have been sending out emails with detailed descriptions on what to do - especially since there are only about 1500 online means that there are literly a hundred thousand that have bought the game and are not here to hear the news...

Look, I love FM - have done for years, totally addicted. I can understand SI going through the activation route on Steam (even giving the disaster a couple of years ago when the servers got overloaded on release day). But surely we should have been given an option to either continue or abandon Steam after that? I wanted to play my game 2 hours ago and couldn't.

If I turn off the automatic updates in Steam would that fix this issue? Or would Steam block me opening the game until the update is applied?

Archived