From Young Men to World Beaters

dafuge

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2024/25

Last season we had a good run in Europe, so this year we were hoping to build on that. The constant turnover of players (as no one will sign a new contract) and the lack of investment into the youth facilities continues so all we can do is just keep going for the time being.

League Table

It was the usual story as we lost the one game. Linfield slipped up, but this could have been due to their European campaign. They somehow managed to knock out Shakhtar in the Champions League before losing badly to Roma. Still, this put them in the Europa League group stage where they managed to get one win.

Mid-Ulster Cup - easy enough as usual, I just wish I had some youth players I could play in this competition.

Irish League Cup - we slipped up!

Irish Cup - an easy win.

Setanta Cup - another easy win, although Shamrock Rovers nearly knocked us out in the quarter final.

UEFA Champions League - the qualifiers were easy enough, but we had a repeat of last season in the group stage. We really were the third seed in the group, battering the team below us and losing every match to the two above us.

UEFA Europa League - we had a stunning run with notable victories over Bayern Munich and Man City. The final was strangely held at our ground, but it did not go our way. Such a shame really as that was a great opportunity to gain some vital coefficient points.

Squad - we have quite a big squad now as we really need it with the fixture congestion, at one point we played five games in seven days! As usual, we have some contracts expiring soon which means another big clear-out. Top players such as Ivkovic, Wilton, Patrick and Merkel will all probably leave in the summer to make sure we cash in while we can.

Transfers - we are starting to spend a bit more now, although Milojkovic was a hige waste of money.

Key Player Profiles:

Dragan Ivkovic - easily our best striker, he will be hard to replace.

Wilton - a superb player, he'll be another big loss.

Rafael - the other great winger we have.

Tim Merkel - our top scorer, who also might be leaving.

Xaxá - the new hope in replacing these strikers/midfielders.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Championship Two         1st         Championship Two, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
2013/14   Championship One         1st         Championship One, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners
2014/15   Carling Premiership      2nd         Irish Cup winners
2015/16   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2016/17   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2017/18   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League and Setanta Cup winners
2018/19   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, League and Setanta Cup winners
2019/20   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2020/21   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and League Cup winners
2021/22   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2022/23   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2023/24   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2024/25   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish and Setanta Cup winners, Europa League finalists

Next Season

There will be a lot of key players sold this summer, so it is likley we will be making a lot of money. I just hope the bard finally decide to do something about the stadium/youth facilities.

UEFA Europa League - we had a stunning run with notable victories over Bayern Munich and Man City. The final was strangely held at our ground, but it did not go our way. Such a shame really as that was a great opportunity to gain some vital coefficient points.

I have seen that happen before. I was playing a Europa League Final against Liverpool. The build up and all the news stated it was at Anfield, the in game screen showed it was at Anfield, my fixtures said Neutral and the past winners showed a different stadium to Anfield. Dont know if thats what it showed fully for you!!!

I have seen that happen before. I was playing a Europa League Final against Liverpool. The build up and all the news stated it was at Anfield, the in game screen showed it was at Anfield, my fixtures said Neutral and the past winners showed a different stadium to Anfield. Dont know if thats what it showed fully for you!!!

It shows as home on my fixture list and away on Sevilla's, but on the Europa League pages it is showing as a stadium in Turkey.

Probably the first time a European final has been attended by just 3500 people :D

Reputations

Northern Ireland - 20th in FIFA rankings - up 9

Northern Ireland - 13th in UEFA coefficients - up 2

Carling Premiership - 27th in European competitions (2.5 stars) - down 7, down half a star

Bourneview - 20th in UEFA coefficients - up 8

Glentoran 0-0 Sevilla

Making the most out of the second CL spot, Glentoran managed something we didn't by getting a result against Sevilla. Just a shame they lost the away leg 2-1. Still, this puts them in the EL group stage so it looks like the other clubs are finally doing something in Europe.

Great to see your laptop back up and running!

Are the other clubs making it any tougher in the league now then? Or is the european success distracting them domestically!

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2025/26

Last season we made an historic European final, so it was always going to be tough to better that. The squad was due another clear-out, so yet another transitional year was on the cards.

League Table

Not quite as dominant as last season, but we did manage to avoid the usual single defeat.

Intermediate Cup - I finally remembered to drop a few squad players into the reserves to make a run in this cup. I don't think I'll do it again as I had fitness issues towards the end of the season and I really could have done with my squad players being fully fit.

Mid-Ulster Cup - the usual story.

Irish League Cup - Linfield gave us a tough final, but we snatched the win.

Irish Cup - another comfortable win.

Setanta Cup - this was a crazy final.

UEFA Champions League - the qualifiers were easy enough, but it was the same old story in the group stage. It was an improvement as we managed to take points off the top seeds, but we could only manage a 1-1 draw with Sevilla when we needed a big win to get through.

UEFA Europa League - AEK gave us a scare, but we recovered and put together a couple of good wins, including this dramatic result against Schalke. The run ended in the semi finals, where Man City outclassed us.

Squad - the squad is a decent size, but we suffered with injuries and fitness problems once the fixtures started piling up.

Transfers - this was probably the biggest clear-out I've had at the club. Players were sold to avoid losing them for nothing, but I continued and sold a few players in January. I've brought in a few younger players in the hope of being able to submit a better size squad in Europe.

Key Player Profiles:

Alexandru Vlad - he was signed as we were short of strikers and instantly hit form

Soren Vestergaard - looks superb for 16, but will need to recover from a broken leg.

Paulinho - a versatile midfielder who has had success in the AMC role.

Ivan Lalik - not bad for a backup striker.

Levent Fil - still working his way into the first team, but he's had a great season.

Career Overview

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Championship Two         1st         Championship Two, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
2013/14   Championship One         1st         Championship One, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners
2015/16   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2016/17   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2017/18   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League and Setanta Cup winners
2018/19   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, League and Setanta Cup winners
2019/20   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners
2020/21   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Irish, Mid-Ulster and League Cup winners
2021/22   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2022/23   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2023/24   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2024/25   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, Irish and Setanta Cup winners, Europa League finalists
2025/26   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners

Next Season

To have the season we did with the changes to the squad was superb, hopefully we can build on this next year and make progress in Europe. The stadium is getting bigger (approaching 5000) but there are still no signs of a youth setup.

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 15th in European competitions (3 stars) - up 12, up half a star

Bourneview - 16th in UEFA coefficients - up 4

Northern Ireland - 14th in UEFA coefficients - down 1

Northern Ireland - 34th in FIFA rankings - down 14

This is an awesome story, absolutely loving it. Spent an age reading your old FM11 and FM10 stories too! Could you post up your finances please?

Finances - I've got more money than I could possibly spend, but the board are still reluctant to build a new stadium or improve the youth setup. We really need the club to step up a level so I can make better use of the money and stop making these huge profits.

Hi Dafuge - excellent read as ever. I'm trying to build a lower league Belgium team up and have got so far and then stalled. I think, like many, that the new patch stunted the success of the tactic and I'm trying to work out what best to do.

Can I ask what formation you're playing with (sorry if I've missed it in the thread) - is it similar to your old T&M one? How do you keep your team motivated with team talks? You've built this team up really well - pity your owner won't invest to help you with your facilities. I'm interested in seeing how people take on lower league teams and develop them.

It's the same formation I've always played, a 4-4-2 wide diamond. I think I wrote my current tactic with the FM11 demo and I've not really changed it since!

I leave the team talks to my assistant. I'm sure I could do a better job but with this particular game speed was always going to be an issue so I decided to cut a few things out.

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2026/27

Last season we had another good run in Europe so we just wanted more of the same.

League Table

We threw away a few silly points but we were scoring for fun this year.

Mid-Ulster Cup - another win for the fringe players, I just wish I had a youth team to play in this one.

Irish League Cup - another easy win.

Irish Cup - the first team made easy work of this one.

Setanta Cup - we left it fairly late to complete the clean sweep of the domestic cups.

UEFA Champions League - the qualifiers were easy as usual but we conquered the group stage as second seeds. A superb win against Bayern was followed by a 2-1 home win over Chelsea. We led the second leg 3-2 at half time, then fell to bits completely. Still, quarter finals equals our best run in Europe.

Squad - I kept a large squad and kept them fit, which really made a difference.

Transfers - no huge moves, but there were a few decent youngsters brought in.

Key Player Profiles:

Alexandru Vlad - last year's top scorer had a quiet year as the strikers were rotated.

Benedikt Schafer - one of the contenders for the top striker position.

Levent Fil - another good year for the young winger.

Stéphane Tournier - a great contribution from the midfielder.

Cesc - our captain, who could be on his way out as his contract expires.

Career Overview

2025/26   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Intermediate, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2026/27   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners

Next Season

The stadium nearly holds 7000 now, which is promising, but ideally I'm after a new ground and some youth facilities. There's a number of contracts expiring next year so there will be yet another overhaul as my players all refuse to extend their contracts.

Stadium expansion announced that will take us to around 10500 :cool:

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2027/28

Last season we continued our progress in Europe so we just needed more of the same.

League Table

We ripped the league apart, just a shame about that draw.

Mid-Ulster Cup - yet another one, but the highlight came in the first round.

Irish League Cup - and another big final win.

Irish Cup - and again.

Setanta Cup - and again.

UEFA Champions League - the qualifiers were easy as usual, which put us in a group which we managed to top. This superb result was followed by two great victories over Spanish opposition but Man City thrashed us to end our run. Making the semi finals is our best result ever and it looks like we could be capable of repeating this.

Squad - with no contracts due to expire I can look forward to using the same squad again next season.

Transfers - there was a big clearout as a lot of contracts were running out, but the players that have come in have been quality.

Key Player Profiles:

Dejan Vukojevic - he was just insane.

Stéphane Tournier - another great contribution from tthe midfielder.

Alexandru Vlad - he had to settle for a bit part role, but still banged in the goals.

Rogério - another reserve striker who had a good year.

Diogo - the rock in midfield.

Career Overview

2026/27   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners
2027/28   Carling Premiership      1st         Premiership, Mid-Ulster, League, Irish and Setanta Cup winners

Next Season

This was another great season, so I'm hoping the board will expand the stadium again (currently holds 10498). I'm looking forward to the announcements of the reputations, there could be some good news for us.

Reputations

Carling Premiership - 16th in European competitions (3 stars) - up 3

Bourneview - 13th in UEFA coefficients - up 2

Northern Ireland - 11th in UEFA coefficients - up 2

Northern Ireland - 73rd in FIFA rankings - down 25

The news I was hoping for has come through, NI now has an automatic spot in the CL group stage :cool:

It's very strange (or sad) that other clubs are not following your success even remotely. How are their finances? Are there any interesting transfers going on besides your club? NI Premier league now has really good reputation, it should not be an obstacle anymore.

Archived