FM12 Liverpool F.C Thread - Victory is upon us.

Just won the Carling Cup 3-0 against Wolves. Carroll with a couple, Shelvey with another. Played my second string all the way to the final, except in my semi final 2nd leg, when we were 1-0 down to Fulham. Anyway... On with the league, 1 point behind United with 11 games left.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A quick update. Just trounced Tottenham 4-0 with Aaron Ramsey scoring his third and fourth goals for the club! Now got to get the boys up for Man Utd in three more days...

EDIT: Rafael got sent off in the 32nd minute after I was already 1-0 up. Luis lofted a ball to Skrtel to score from the free kick and I ended up winning 4-0! FM12 = easiest FM ever.

How on earth have you got Aaron Ramsey & Neymar in the first season? I don't understand how some people seem to make all these signings sometimes, I really seem to struggle at times. Anyway................

I started a new game with Liverpool when the patch came out. It takes me a while to get through games as I don't play particularly quickly.

I tried to release/sell quite a few players that I don't really like, need, feel are good enough or generally don't fit in with the way I want to play. However, due to some of them only just joining (Downing & Adam), or being on obscene wages for their position within the club (looking at you Doni), they were nearly impossible to shift. I did manage to strengthen the team in a couple of area's with some useful signings:

LiverpoolTransfers_History.png

Fowler was bought back more for tutoring purposes than anything else. Shaw and Felipe Anderson are more for the next few years, although they will get game-time this year. Vaas will play alongside Lucas as a DLP, and Montillo is my marque signing.

LiverpoolSquad_Players.png

Generally everyone has contributed quite well so far. Montillo has been outstanding, playing as either an AM in the AMC position or in the AML as an advanced playmaker. Gerrard has been great when I have been able to get him fit and playing.

WalterMontilloOverview_Attributes.png

First time I have ever bought Montillo on FM, and he has certainly been worth the outlay so far.

LiverpoolFixtures_Fixtures.png

Couple of poor-ish results away to Blackburn and Fulham. Only defeat so far away to Arsenal. At home we have been fantastic, a 3-0 win against Chelsea being the highlight. I just need to try an adapt my away tactics a little more I think. We were unlucky against Fulham, we should have beat them easily with the possesion and chances we had, but the draw against Blackburn was a fair result, and we didn't deserve anything from the Arsenal game - although they scored the winner in the 92nd minute.

Chelsea game:

LiverpoolvChelseaStats_MatchStats.png

Current league table:

BarclaysPremierLeagueOverview_Stages.png

Not sure I will win the league this year. City look strong. If I can keep Suarez, Gerrard & Montillo fit then I guess I stand a chance, but I would be happy with a CL place and perhaps the FA cup or League cup.

I've got 6 games to go in my 1st season, 2 points behind United after drawing with Arsenal away. I'll get it finished and get a season review up after gym tomoz. Night fellas. Oh BTW; up the reds- great win tonight!!!

Has anyone noticed that Liverpool lose money every month in the first season? I didn't spend more than they had on transfers and I'm 184K per week under the wage budget, it says I have 13 million left to buy players but I'm in November and I'm 5.5 million in the red already

How on earth have you got Aaron Ramsey & Neymar in the first season? I don't understand how some people seem to make all these signings sometimes, I really seem to struggle at times. Anyway................

There are two keys, IMO: Playing your players you want outward bound a lot early on so you can sell them and buying players with larger fees over 48 months. You have to be prepared to make non-negotiable offers for players too, once you've established the selling clubs asking price, otherwise they'll ask for some cash upfront which drastically reduces your transfer budget. 20m over four years is better than 10m up front, if you want to get to the top quickly. It'll hurt you down the track as I'm sure next years transfer budget will be greatly reduced because I've already spend a good chunk of it.

If you pay for a player over 48 months then only 1/4 of the fee comes out of your transfer budget. This means I signed Ramsey for 10ish million and Neymar for 12ish million, effectively. So I traded Downing for those two, basically. To get rid of players you have to list them as not needed and handle the player interaction part correctly also. In my experience this is usually the hardest bit. You also have to be prepared to sell players who are useful, but not as good as other options. For example Wilson & Coates were two players I offered privately to other clubs, despite not wanting to lose either.

Has anyone noticed that Liverpool lose money every month in the first season? I didn't spend more than they had on transfers and I'm 184K per week under the wage budget, it says I have 13 million left to buy players but I'm in November and I'm 5.5 million in the red already

Yeah, the lack of Europe.. Don't worry about it, if you have decent league results in your first season, you'll be fine for season 2 onwards.

Really cant decide wether to be Liverpool or Arsenal, so I thought id come on here to se what help you guys could offer me :)

Now, firstly i'll start by asking, what formation do most of you play as? 4-4-2? with a flat 4 midfield? or 2 centre mids and 2 attacking midfielders?

Secondly, what players do you look to buy first season. Do you think Javi Martinez and Iker Munian would be good signings?

And thirdly, who do you look to sell?

Any feedback would be of great help.

Thanks.

ITFC 1

Really cant decide wether to be Liverpool or Arsenal, so I thought id come on here to se what help you guys could offer me :)

Now, firstly i'll start by asking, what formation do most of you play as? 4-4-2? with a flat 4 midfield? or 2 centre mids and 2 attacking midfielders?

Secondly, what players do you look to buy first season. Do you think Javi Martinez and Iker Munian would be good signings?

Thanks.

ITFC 1

Hi mate i play a 4 5 1 with Lucas as holding midfielder Suarez up top on his own Downing on left wing and Kuyt ( inside forward ) or Maxi ( Advanced Playmarker ) on the right , first season i didnt sign anyone but i did try for Javi Martinez first season he didnt want to join , first season i won FA Cup and finished third just started my second season got Martinez in the end also go Eden Hazard so pushing for the tittle and a good run in the Champions League:)

Thanks.

ITFC 1

Hey mate, I play a 4 2 3 1 with Suarez upfront and Lucas as DMC. I normally bring in Felipe Anderson or Milan Badelj, Sime Vrsalkjo (spelling) and Lucas Andersen and maybe some other youngsters (can't remember!) I have two wingers and an attacking midfielder behind the striker.

I think they would be good signings because they would give you depth and you would need a MC since for me, Adam and Henderson are not good enough in the game (the way they play but that might just be down to my tactics!) but Munian would improve your left flank and provide good competition with Downing - who always has a good season or two with me before I sell him.

I normally look to sell Maxi, Skrtel, Aurelio and Brad Jones. But on my current save, I kept Skrtel who has been solid and you might wish to keep him for the first season unless you bring in additional cover. I recommend playing with Coates because he is a very good player!

Thanks very much, great feedback from you both.

Sounds good, I think i'll be playing 4-5-1, with 3 central midfielders and 2 attacking wide midfielders. Who do you play on the right flank?

Yes, i'd definitely like to bring both of them players in, because then I wouldnt bring in many more expensive signings for a year or 2.

Thanks, having a look at the side, they are the players I would look to get rid of.

Thanks for the feedback.

Keep Maxi he pops up with important goals first season i sold Auerlio , Jones and Doni in January and couple of the youths , get Gerrard to Tutor Shelvey like A Double K said give Coates a good run i played him in most games in my first season will turn out class

There was only two league matches in August; Blackburn who I drew 1:1 with and QPR who I beat 2:1, which put me in sixth place at the end of the month.

englishpremierdivisionov.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I beat Stevenage in the League cup to progress to the next round as well. In terms of transfer I sold Jones for 500k, Fabio for one million and Adorjan for 550k, whilst Spearing and Eccleston went out on loan. I also brought in Renator Augusto for 10 million on deadline day.

liverpooltacticsovervie.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm playing with a 4-2-3-1 formation with Suarez as my striker, Augusto is my traditional winger, Gerrard my AP and Maxi my inside forward for now. Once the second season starts I'll be playing Suarez as my inside forward and I'll look to bring in a new striker to take that position

Thanks very much, great feedback from you both.

Sounds good, I think i'll be playing 4-5-1, with 3 central midfielders and 2 attacking wide midfielders. Who do you play on the right flank?

Yes, i'd definitely like to bring both of them players in, because then I wouldnt bring in many more expensive signings for a year or 2.

Thanks, having a look at the side, they are the players I would look to get rid of.

Thanks for the feedback.

Your welcome. Also, during the first season, we tend to lose a lot of money so just be wary of that but it sort sit self out after TV rights and final position money (+ money if you win any of the cups) sort this out.

Alright mate?

Team is on a **** run. 4 games without a win. Still fourth though by a point. Too many last minute goals being conceded!

In mid Jan I was actually top of the table. Then injuries to Agger, Skrtel, Suarez, Lucas, and Johnson struck. Suarez has been injured 4 times this season, he just can't stay healthy.

As it stands, we're third now. :(

In mid Jan I was actually top of the table. Then injuries to Agger, Skrtel, Suarez, Lucas, and Johnson struck. Suarez has been injured 4 times this season, he just can't stay healthy.

As it stands, we're third now. :(

Unlucky mate, I know what you mean! Injuries are bad! Atleast one important player is always injured for me! I'm third too with 25 games played and 9 points behind with a game in hand

Unlucky mate, I know what you mean! Injuries are bad! Atleast one important player is always injured for me! I'm third too with 25 games played and 9 points behind with a game in hand

Yeah I can't seem to get my team in synch thanks to the injuries. We've played 27 matches and we're third, only 4 points behind leaders City so I can't complain too much. These last few weeks it seems like everyone is trying to poach my staff. Looking forward to the youth intake after this match against Bolton...

Well, I only had one player who really warrants keeping around in this year's intake. He looks like he's going to be a great player though. Clarke and Borrell both say he'll be better than Agger. Going to have to get Carra to start tutoring him.

Screenshot2012-03-14at104448PM.png

He's from Hull, so that's a bit of a shock.

Hey lads. Decided to start a new save with the new patch and just finished 2nd behind City by 2 points. Utd 3rd, Spurs 4th. Chelski finished 7th behind Swansea of all teams. Went down to the last game of the season and despite me beating Fulham 2-1 away they managed to beat Blackburn at home. :( The season went excellent i thought after doing the double by winning the FA Cup and Carling Cup despite having a pretty difficult run in both.

Stand out performers for me were Henderson and Coates oddly enough. I'm a big fan of Hendo's and his potential and he didn't let me down, grabbing 21 assists and 6 goals from right wing. Coates was getting the odd game before Skrtel broke his leg in January and he's developed into a superb defender after being tutored by Agger. Gerrard was great but very injury-prone, Suarez was quite hit and miss, lucas the usual rock in the centre. We were pretty solid at the back which helped us, conceding just 33 goals and Reina getting the golden glove.

I signed Muniain, Doumbia and Leandro in my first season. Muniain was a bit disappointing but hopefully he can crack on this season. Doumbia was very hit and miss grabbing 21 goals in all competitions and was my top scorer, some games he'd be amazing, others he couldn't hit the target at all. He was much better in the second half of the season, i'm guessing because he couldn't motivate himself to play for me up until xmas.

Leandro was great impact sub in the league and very prolific in the cups. He got some crucial goals including the winner in the Carling Cup final and league games against Utd, Arsenal and Chelski and is progressing quite nicely. Sterling demanded first team action towards the end after returning from his loan with Brentford and earned himself a new contract with the winner in 92nd min in the FA Cup Final. :D

As for letting people go, sold Brad Jones, Doni and Adorjan in the first season. Let Maxi go out on loan for 1.8 mill to Sevilla. Let quite a few youngsters leave out on loan, Sterling improved quite a bit after his spell so i'd recommend doing that if you're not going to give him many opportunities after he signs a pro deal.

Took the GB olympic job and won it quite comfortably. Season 2 signings have been pretty solid i think:

Leandro Damiao - 12.5 mill - Unsettled him and requested transfer, absolute bargain.

Christian Eriksen - 8 mill - Same as above. Declared interest and got him for an absolute STEAL.

Courtois - 13.5 mill - Chelski offered him to me as he wanted first team football, he's on pretty low wages for me as a backup keeper with 9k appearance fees so if Reina gets injured like last season i've got some decent cover. A tad expensive but he'll be good for cup competitions and develops into a decent keeper.

Tiote - 8.75 mill - Newcastle were relegated so i couldn't resist getting him as cover for Lucas or if i need to shut up shop in some games coming on from the bench. He also looks great for tutoring so he may prove to be a great signing.

Cotton - Free - Blackburn contract ran out, heard he develops into a good player so we'll see with him

Erick Torres - Loan Fee 125k - Again heard he's pretty decent so thought i'd let my coaches make their mind up with him. May make it permanent.

I've let Aurelio go for free, Maxi's gone for 2.5 mill, Spearing for 3 mill, Bellamy for 1 mill and Adam's gone on loan for 2 mill which has saved me quite a lot on my wages. Sent out Sterling, Flanno, Robbo and Coady on loan. I keep getting bids for Coady from City and Spurs so going to keep an eye on his progress, my coaches don't rate him very highly.

Didn't get any decent regens which i'm a bit annoyed with, Anfield expansion will be ready by October along with Youth and Training facilities :D

Steve Clarke was snapped up by Arsenal for 2 mill compensation which i was delighted with as his wages are horrific. Still debating on who to get in as my Assistant. Just beat City 1-0 in the Community Shield thanks to Suarez, new season is looking positive. :D Good luck with your saves guys!

I cant believe you have let Spearing go! Im in my third season now and he is putting in a shift every game he plays. Great cheap backup and home-grown too. Think hes worth 5mil in my game now also.

@ ITFC1

I tended not to keep the same formation and changed it around slightly depending on the fixture.

At the beginning of the season i was playing a 4-2-3-1 formation with Muniain as an AM and 2 wingers either side of him. It was quite hit and miss so i went with 4-4-2 with the wingers pushed up and it worked well when playing lesser teams. 4-2-3-1 worked nicely for tighter games. A key point in my tactics is keeping the ball and having passing set to short and tempo quite quick. At the beginning of the season your players won't perform to the best of their ability but from January onwards it works a treat for me as they get more used to it.

Back to my save, i've had an amazing start to the season. Just finished September and top, 3 points ahead of Utd and Norwich and haven't conceded. Once again injuries struck again and both Muniain and Leandro Damiao are out injured long term with Gerrard. Muniain on international duty and Leandro against City. Eriksen, Ramsey and Doumbia have filled in nicely though.

liverpoolfixturesfixtur.png

I decided this season to go back to my favoured 4-2-3-1 formation and stick with it, i'm so glad i did. I tend to bring on Tiote for Eriksen around the hour mark to keep things tight. With Lucas (BWM), Ramsey (AP) and Tiote (ANC) we control the games easily, even against City and Chelsea.

Here's the formation that i'm using atm:

liverpooltacticsovervie.png

Kuyt is very useful as a sub for Henderson too and i usually set him to Defensive Winger.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think ill look to play a 4-5-1 formation, with 3 central midfielders, with one set to defend, and 2 wingers, probably Munian/Downing and Kuyt.

And then rotate both Suarez and Carroll.

But you play Munian behind the striker?

In my first season he played behind the striker. He wasn't very effective there for me in his first season though. This season i was playing him as an inside forward on the left and he was performing well before his injury. It's the first save i've signed him so i can't suggest where he plays best.

Edit:

Just been offered the job to manage Peru. xD I'll pass for now cheers.

6 matches left, I've now fallen to 4th, still in the Carling and FA cup though. Not really expecting to finish outside of the top 4, 5th place Wolves are still 10 points behind. Yeah you read that right, Wolves are in 5th.

So finished my first season in FM12 as Liverpool manager (had started several games on other patches, but couldn't get into those games)

Started by selling Maxi, Fabio and Toni Silva, and bringing in Keita, Lucas Moura, Leandro Damiâo and then in January Castaignos on loan

With the tiny squad of good players that Liverpool have I gave both cups to my reserves with no hope of winning either

In the league cup I lost out in the 3rd round to Chelsea (2-1), so only two games to my reserves there

The FA cup was another matter, my reserves made it all the way to the final where they beat Newcastle on penalties

Reserve team: Doni, Flanagan/Kelly, Robinson, Coates, Carragher, Lucas, Henderson, Sousa/Adam, Bellamy, Carroll, Kuyt (Reina was in goal for the FA Cup final as Doni were out injured, and I don't trust Jones)

In the league I drew 7 times and lost two games (both defeat against 2nd place Man City - First game at home, I lost 4-0 as Tevez absolutely destroyed me with a hattrick, and away I lost 5-2 with Ganso getting a hattrick)

But with a total of 94 point it was enough to win the English Premier League with 8 points down to Man City in 2nd place. Most likely I could have made better results against City, but I decided to stick to my (5-0-5 or 4-1-0-3-2 call it what you want)tactic thrugh the hole season without any changes

First team:

GK) Reina

DR) Johnson

DL) Enrique

DC) Skrtel

DC) Agger

DM) Keita

AMR) Lucas Moura

AMC) Gerrard

AML) Downing

FC) Leandro Damiâo

FC) Suarez

Leandro Damiâo won - Football of the year, with Downing coming in 2nd place

I won - Manager of the year

Suarez came 2nd in - Players' player of the year

Lucas Moura, Downing, Leandro Damiâo and Suarez were in - Players team of the year, with Reina on the bench

Lucas Moura won - Players young player of the year

Leandro Damiâo came 2nd in - Top goalscorer with 34 goals, one less than Kun, but with 8 games less down to an injury

£33m to spend in the summer, looking for a new back up keeper on less salery, a young promising keeper, a younger DMC with good heading and a couple of young strikers to bring in, and off course of any good English players are interesting to join my side

Started as Liverpool last night. Sorted out the backroom staff, sold Maxi for 5.5m and Cole for 3m. Signed Keita on loan (Love this guy and it's a LOAN!) Iker Munian for 21m, did some of the payment over 24 months, regret it now as I could of paid 15m straight away. Looking at Leandro Damiao but that's going to cost 20m easy, prepared to play Kuyt/Bellamy if needed though. Going to try and unsettle Leandro. Will report back once I've got preseason out of the way. 4231 is my formation!

Archived