FMS Community Thread / Episode VI / Return of the Toon

tenthreeleader

The other half and I did both Rome and Barcelona in one fell swoop earlier this year, and I have to say (sorry Dalb) that Rome is by far the better city. Nice and compact (We had three days there and had pretty much seen all the major sites, on foot, on the first day), stunning architecture, amazing food, and the people are wonderfully nice. Just watch out for the drivers... anything that can be used as a road, is.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yes 30 quid saved on an hour or twos work!

This has been bothering me for YEARS and I feel like the best place to get a humorous and simple answer is here. What the devil is the difference between a quid and a pound? In fact, what are the English terms for money?

My personal favourite: 'a Monkey' = £500

Can't remember the last time I uttered the word 'pound' tbh, always use 'quid'.

Yeah, always wondered that. It just seems so much more natural to refer to British currency as a 'quid' instead of a 'pound'.

Here in Australia, we tend to use 'bucks' instead of 'dollars' a fair bit as well. Again, saying "20 bucks" is the slang term, it just sounds less formal and rigid thens aying "20 dollars".

Yeah, always wondered that. It just seems so much more natural to refer to British currency as a 'quid' instead of a 'pound'.

Here in Australia, we tend to use 'bucks' instead of 'dollars' a fair bit as well. Again, saying "20 bucks" is the slang term, it just sounds less formal and rigid thens aying "20 dollars".

Same with the yanks, the term "bucks" as well. The history of British money is fascinating btw, just read a wiki on it because of the discussion here :D I remembered hearing about the "Guinea" in books set in 1800s Britain and wanted to look it up.

According to wikipedia, one of the many meanings of "QUID":

Small Penis, American Slang

After 4 agonizing days without a car, I've finally gotten a new one. It's absolutely ridiculous how dependent you are on having a car in the USA. No public transport to speak of, everything is miles upon miles apart, I've felt quite handicapped without it. Luckily two of my good friends were willing to taxi me around and lent me a car for a day so I didn't miss any of my six work shifts in the past three days, but I felt like an utter burden.

This has been bothering me for YEARS and I feel like the best place to get a humorous and simple answer is here. What the devil is the difference between a quid and a pound? In fact, what are the English terms for money?

The American term for money is now 'worthless'. But I digress. :)

All down to Vardy leaving?

50% of it is that, sure. The other 50 is the fact the rest of the squad have all been bullying Evo-Stik teams for two seasons and now they've reached their 'level', they don't like it. They can't up their game. The difference between Evo Premier and the BSN standard is very noticable to my eyes. Anyway, season of consolidation for us this year.

Well that was the most exciting game I´ve seen Chelsea involved in for a while. I´m actually on holiday at the moment so I don´t want to go over the whole 95 minutes, but I´d say that we were probably the better team over the course of the match, but United were ruthless and we weren´t.

Minus the small matter of missing an open goal at 3-1 down that (I think) would have given us a really good shout of at least drawing level, probably more, I think Torres played really well. His movement was top-class and he got in behind the United defence so many times and could have had a hat-trick (just like Rooney could and should have). The goal that he scored was brilliant and is the only reason that I will forgive and forget his miss.

Overall, I´m strangely still happy even though we lost 3-1. We played some good football and I think the return match at Stamford Bridge later on in the year where the team will be used to AVB´s style will give us a better indication of where we stand in comparison to the best team in the country. Great game to watch though, good football from both sides.

An interesting day's football viewing...three very good teams played the two games. I'll come to the fourth "team" later...

Peculiar to say, but I think I rate Chelsea as title contenders more now than I did before that game. I think with Mata on the left and Torres through the middle, they've got two thirds of their front three sorted and under AVB, they will start to notch up the kind of scorelines the two Manchester clubs have been. And the manager's substutions will make them hard to kill off in any game. Torres was probably Chelsea's best player overall, but that miss was absolutely shocking. Man U pretty much scored every time they had a chance in the first half so you have to feel they could've stepped up a gear or two if they had needed to.

Spurs...that must rank alongside their best performances in the league in a couple of years. It really was complete domination even before the first red card. Adebayor is a phenomenally difficult player to play against when he joins a new team. The question is whether he will keep it up. Defoe continued to look largely hopeless.

Liverpool...well, I think you have to look a long way back to find any game where we've been so completely outplayed. Apparently, the three shots we had was the fewest we've managed in 9 years. There's no hiding behind the red cards though. We started badly and got progressively worse. The team selection was wrong. Kuyt in for Carroll in a 4-5-1 had to be the order of the day. Playing Bale with no recognised right back was never going to be easy. Playing Bale with no protection for the stand-in right back was just foolish. On top of that, Spurs are probably one of the sides with the personnel to cope with Andy Carroll when he's on form, let alone when he's struggling for form.

Full backs do seem to be a massive problem at the club though. I wonder how many players Dalglish has been forced to use there now. Johnson, Kelly, Flanagan, Robinson, Aurelio, Enrique, Carragher and Skrtel off the top of my head. I know Hodgson used Agger and Wilson there too, can't remember if Kenny has. Either way, its a lot of players to fill two positions in little over half a season

Minus the small matter of missing an open goal at 3-1 down that (I think) would have given us a really good shout of at least drawing level, I think Torres played really well.

I agree, that's why I have sympathy for him, because the media are going to hang him out to dry, when at the end of the day he played pretty well. Having said that, promising as our young defenders are, this is where their inexperience shows. Having to deal with someone who moves as intelligently off the shoulder as Torres does and with the quality of service he got on Sunday, Rio and Vidic would find that a hard afternoon's graft, let alone these guys.

Great game though. I felt we deserved it, despite Chelsea playing really well.

Life imitating (low) art: pleasure tracking Simon Vukcevic's debut and performance today for Blackburn. It's two years late, and for the wrong team in blue, but still.

Not sure what can be done about the lower traffic since the boards went down. I think a lot of casual readers just dropped off--we were part of their daily ritual, now we aren't type thing.

Hi. Can anyone sumarise the Steam/DRM 'discussion' with regard to FM2012 that's on the 'PC/Mac General Discussion' page ? I'd read it myself but I'm having trouble picking out the facts from the invective and besides, going on that page makes me feel, well, kind of dirty.

Hi. Can anyone sumarise the Steam/DRM 'discussion' with regard to FM2012 that's on the 'PC/Mac General Discussion' page ? I'd read it myself but I'm having trouble picking out the facts from the invective and besides, going on that page makes me feel, well, kind of dirty.

What, that 31-page sticky? Basically, FM12 will need Steam activation (and creating a Steam account if you don't have one) even for the DVD version. I've been buying it in Steam for years anyway, so I don't really care too much about this, but I guess people who don't like/want to avoid Steam will be angry.

That's the first post, by the way. The rest seems to be the usual GD whinefest which I won't bother with.

Thanks Dal, I did read the first post, but was hoping, beyond hope, that somone had read the rest to see if it was just 'I Don't Want Steam' 'Steam's fab and thus you're an idiot' type exchanges or if there was anything else useful in there......

I guess I'll have to do it myself.

I'm going in.

I may be gone some time.

Not sure if its clouded by the performance on Sunday and the exasperation that the names of Carroll, Adam and Henderon provoke, but the team Liverpool are putting out against Brighton looks stronger and more balanced than the one we picked on Wednesday. Very odd.

I guess people who don't like/want to avoid Steam will be angry.

One of which would be me. As a playtester, I have to install Steam to get the latest version. I had horrible experiences with Steam when it was new, so I suppose I will have to be convinced.

I'm not keen on loading Steam, but as I will be buying the disk version I suppose I have no choice. Automatic updates will certainly be disabled and I'll try to ensure the game is always run in off-line mode.

Be assured, I SHALL be complaining if there are any problems.

I'm not keen on loading Steam, but as I will be buying the disk version I suppose I have no choice. Automatic updates will certainly be disabled and I'll try to ensure the game is always run in off-line mode.

Be assured, I SHALL be complaining if there are any problems.

To quote the legendary Choo-Choo from TopCat: "I'm with you T.C."

Thanks mate. I'm sure it's not a plug if I ask you for the details. Despite working (or more acurately not working at the mo) with computers I'm afraid that Blogs, how to find them and why I might find them interesting has completely eluded me up to this point.

So, Terk, tell us all about it.........

First thing I see, Messi on the top banner. I approve.

Second thing I see, Raúl on the same banner. RAGE

...kidding, of course. I guess now I have something else to read during those boring mornings at the office.

At least I separated them with Alvaro Recoba. I wasn't as indecent as to put Messi and Raul next to each other.

Archived