FMS Community Thread / Episode VI / Return of the Toon

tenthreeleader

I'm not normally one to post in here, but this news has got to me a bit.

I spent four months in Yaroslavl before Christmas, went to see Loko play regularly and even got myself a jersey - Karel Rachunek, their Czech captain. News seems to suggest that only one of the players, Alexander Galimov, survived the crash, but he's either in critical condition or since passed away according to various reports.

I'm still in touch with a few people out there, and the whole city is devastated. Loko came third in last year's KHL and looked good for the coming season, and the it's a club the whole city rallies behind. It's a massive blow to Yaroslavl and to Russia, and I guess the only 'positive' that might come out it is some sort of investigation into their shokcing aviation record.

Still, that all seems insignificant at the minute. Sportsmen or not, so many lives were lost, it's tragic. RIP to every one of them, my thoughts and prayers will be in Yaroslavl tonight.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final score was Cats 14.14 97 -Hawks 9. 13 67 - a comfortable win for The Cats, as befits a team second in the ladder I suppose. Seems we turned up in quarters 2 & 3 which is what I'd hoped for.

On another note. Missed the end of the match becuase I got taken down the pub, as it's my last day in my current job. Means I'll be leaving London tomorrow to go back home, I'll see my kids, which I'm looking forward to immensely, but I haven't got another job yet so it's not all good.

And 10-3 if your picture goes up again, could you post a link to it here. I'm following it all very closely, but a 'link' from someone we know would be very nice to have.

Hey, cf .... congrats and good luck to the Cats, clearly the better team from what I can tell.

The link to my picture is here.

Geelong are definately in with a strong shout of winning it now, particularly as they know they can take Collingwood apart too. The Pies were put under late pressure but were good enough to ease through. Looks tough for your Hawks though 10-3, Buddy is down injured (knee) so it could be tough in the preliminary final.

Also, it's England v Argentina at the RWC tonight iirc. Thoughts on the match/outcome/fortunes of the Poms my rugby-loving friends?

Argentina nowhere near the force they were four years ago, which is a shame. Them joining the Tri-nations has been almost a decade overdue in my opinion. No Juan Martin Hernandez either, massive loss to them.

Should be a win, may very well be tight though.

It's been an excellent start to tournament. All the perceived minnows have done very well.

Getting ridiculous now. It's basic stuff.

Should be down to 13 really, Lawes absolutely levelling one of the Argentine backs off the ball.

This is gonna be a test. :D

Argentina may go down to 13 at the rate their players are falling. Can sympathise with the last one though down the touchline. That looked nasty :eek:

Geelong are definately in with a strong shout of winning it now, particularly as they know they can take Collingwood apart too. The Pies were put under late pressure but were good enough to ease through. Looks tough for your Hawks though 10-3, Buddy is down injured (knee) so it could be tough in the preliminary final.

Well, that's the last thing we need. Roughead has missed about half the season too, so perhaps this isn't our year. Wouldn't mind seeing another Collingwood / Geelong match.

Thanks to those who have viewed my photo as well.

I'm happy, playing FM10 at the moment and just won the league for the third time in a row :) also won the CL 2 times in the last 3 seasons, so it's all good!

And unlucky Gav, today was my last day of work for something like 20 days ;) holiday time for me!

I'm going on my first ever holiday in November (providing passport comes back in time). Going to Rome, was trying to make it Germany, but parents wouldn't go for it and tbh, I wouldn't likely come back. You going anywhere, or just enjoying your time?

This US Open semi is incredible....Federer 2 sets up, Djokovic brings it to a final set only for Federer to break to go 5-3 up and get two match points on his serve. Djokovic saves them and breaks back.

And that summary doesn't seem to quite cut it. Glad they put this match on before the four-time-annual Murray bottlefest

Well, that's the last thing we need. Roughead has missed about half the season too, so perhaps this isn't our year. Wouldn't mind seeing another Collingwood / Geelong match.

Thanks to those who have viewed my photo as well.

yeah, thanks for posting the photo, mate, it is a dashed good one.

Turned it on at 2-3 in final set to Fed. Djokovic is a deserved World Number One just on that performance. Loved the mindset at 2 match points. F*ck it i'll just hit it and see where it goes.

He had that mindset throughout that game after he was broken. Just swung at everything and hit some of his worst shots of the match to go 40-15 down.

Seems like Djokovic is having the sort of domination this year that perhaps even Nadal and Federer never quite reached

Devastated for Federer. I just can't believe he missed those match points. It happens though, I guess.

Murray definitely showed he remains the 'weak link' amongst the top four. I watched the entirety of both matches and he was far and away the worst player.

Nadal though has hit absolute top form all of a sudden. I think he'll finally end his losing streak against Djokovic on Sunday. Nadal to win in four.

Wales, amazing match against South Africa at the RWC. Only got to see parts of the match, but it looked a cracker. Denied by some poor refereeing though, which is a pity. Very tough on Wales though, probably deserved to pinch that one.

It's not often I want Wales to win, in fact I think today was a first! :D

They were so unlucky, I think they deserved to edge it, who knows it could have opened up a route to the Semis. That pool is going to be fascinating with Samoa looking dangerous. I was pretty desperate for a Welsh win towards the end. I thought the comfortable wins from the All Blacks and Wallabies looked a bit ominous, needed a northern hemisphere side to do something impressive which thankfully Wales did, just didn't get the result, sadly.

I'm going on my first ever holiday in November (providing passport comes back in time). Going to Rome, was trying to make it Germany, but parents wouldn't go for it and tbh, I wouldn't likely come back. You going anywhere, or just enjoying your time?

Aaah sounds good Gavlan, hope you enjoy it there! I'm off to Spain for just over a week with my girlfriend in a couple of days. It'll be my first holiday abroad without the parents so should be interesting. As long as I can find some coverage of the Chelsea - United match while I'm there, I'll be happy ;)

Aaah sounds good Gavlan, hope you enjoy it there! I'm off to Spain for just over a week with my girlfriend in a couple of days. It'll be my first holiday abroad without the parents so should be interesting. As long as I can find some coverage of the Chelsea - United match while I'm there, I'll be happy ;)

With your girlfriend? But I'm sure I'm not going, so what does that mean...

Don't worry Gav, I just call her my girlfriend to make her feel happy. Everybody knows that you're my one true love ;) I'm saving up for a holiday for us to go to Germany, I just wanted it to be a surprise, that's all. Aren't I just the nicest boyfriend?

Oh and Xen, before you butt in as well, I'm saving up on a holiday for us too. My current idea for us is going to Australia for the annual gay Mardi Gras. There, we can drink shandy all day and repent against the over-use of gravy all night. Like I said, aren't I just the nicest boyfriend?

Got a really small returns bet on for the remainder of the tennis. I need Serena to win in straight sets + Nadal to win any way he wants. £10 bet, will get £33 back.

Don't exactly stick my neck out do I?

Well, only took 30 minutes for that bet to go down the toilet.

I'm watching it at the mo. She's an utter disgrace to the sport, mate. Has been for years. Great player but an absolute spoilted brat as an individual. I hope they throw the book at her for that umpire rant.

EDIT: don't believe everything you read posted by people on the interwebs, obviously. :p

Thankfully seems my initial fears of the nature of the meltdown were off the market. Still, some of the press-reported comments are certainly pretty petulant.

Don't worry Gav, I just call her my girlfriend to make her feel happy. Everybody knows that you're my one true love ;) I'm saving up for a holiday for us to go to Germany, I just wanted it to be a surprise, that's all. Aren't I just the nicest boyfriend?

Oh and Xen, before you butt in as well, I'm saving up on a holiday for us too. My current idea for us is going to Australia for the annual gay Mardi Gras. There, we can drink shandy all day and repent against the over-use of gravy all night. Like I said, aren't I just the nicest boyfriend?

Ewwwww.....

What happened to Terk? :D

Oh dear....

I need a holiday so bad, I would actually be happy with that! As soon as my internship becomes a proper job with all the nice things that come with it, I'm going to save up for a long weekend somewhere. Might take a leaf out of Gav's book and go to Rome, I fancy Barcelona too. Just anywhere where I can eat and drink like a king, get some sun on me and where they have never heard of 'drizzle'.

Oh dear....

I need a holiday so bad, I would actually be happy with that! As soon as my internship becomes a proper job with all the nice things that come with it, I'm going to save up for a long weekend somewhere. Might take a leaf out of Gav's book and go to Rome, I fancy Barcelona too. Just anywhere where I can eat and drink like a king, get some sun on me and where they have never heard of 'drizzle'.

So, if it ever starts raining daily here in the near future, can I assume that it's your fault? :D

Food's great here, but (generally) expensive, unless you know where to go. And if you finally come, stay away from La Rambla's restaurants. Your wallet will thank you.

Archived