• Created
  • Last Reply

1 	GK 	David Seaman 	19 September 1963 (aged 34) 	40 	England Arsenal
2 	DF 	Sol Campbell 	18 September 1974 (aged 23) 	16 	England Tottenham Hotspur
3 	DF 	Graeme Le Saux 	17 October 1968 (aged 29) 	25 	England Chelsea
4 	MF 	Paul Ince 	21 October 1967 (aged 30) 	39 	England Liverpool
5 	DF 	Tony Adams 	10 October 1966 (aged 31) 	51 	England Arsenal
6 	DF 	Gareth Southgate3 September 1970 (aged 27) 	25 	England Aston Villa
7 	MF 	David Beckham 	2 May 1975 (aged 23) 	        15 	England Manchester United
8 	MF 	David Batty 	2 December 1968 (aged 29) 	31 	England Newcastle United
9 	FW 	Alan Shearer (c) 13 August 1970 (aged 27) 	39 	England Newcastle United
10 	FW 	Teddy Sheringham 2 April 1966 (aged 32) 	33 	England Manchester United
11 	MF 	Steve McManaman 11 February 1972 (aged 26) 	21 	England Liverpool
12 	DF 	Gary Neville 	18 February 1975 (aged 23) 	27 	England Manchester United
13 	GK 	Nigel Martyn 	11 August 1966 (aged 31) 	7 	England Leeds United
14 	MF 	Darren Anderton 3 March 1972 (aged 26)  	18 	England Tottenham Hotspur
15 	MF 	Paul Merson 	20 March 1968 (aged 30) 	18 	England Middlesbrough
16 	MF 	Paul Scholes 	16 November 1974 (aged 23) 	7 	England Manchester United
17 	MF 	Rob Lee 	1 February 1966 (aged 32) 	17 	England Newcastle United
18 	DF 	Martin Keown 	24 July 1966 (aged 31) 	        18 	England Arsenal
19 	FW 	Les Ferdinand 	18 December 1966 (aged 31) 	17 	England Tottenham Hotspur
20 	FW 	Michael Owen 	14 December 1979 (aged 18) 	5 	England Liverpool
21 	DF 	Rio Ferdinand 	7 November 1978 (aged 19) 	3 	England West Ham United
22 	GK 	Tim Flowers 	3 February 1967 (aged 31) 	11 	England Blackburn Rovers

Apart from having a lack of left footed players at the time, that squad is great and full of options. The squad could have had players like Ian Wright, Gazza and MLT in it also

1 1GK David James (1970-08-01)1 August 1970 (aged 33) 24 Manchester City

2 2DF Gary Neville (1975-02-18)18 February 1975 (aged 29) 63 Manchester United

3 2DF Ashley Cole (1980-12-20)20 December 1980 (aged 23) 26 Arsenal

4 3MF Steven Gerrard (1980-05-30)30 May 1980 (aged 24) 24 Liverpool

5 2DF John Terry (1980-12-07)7 December 1980 (aged 23) 8 Chelsea

6 2DF Sol Campbell (1974-09-18)18 September 1974 (aged 29) 58 Arsenal

7 3MF David Beckham (1975-05-02)2 May 1975 (aged 29) 68 Real Madrid

8 3MF Paul Scholes (1974-11-16)16 November 1974 (aged 29) 62 Manchester United

9 4FW Wayne Rooney (1985-10-24)24 October 1985 (aged 18) 13 Everton

10 4FW Michael Owen (1979-12-14)14 December 1979 (aged 24) 56 Liverpool

11 3MF Frank Lampard (1978-06-20)20 June 1978 (aged 25) 19 Chelsea

12 2DF Wayne Bridge (1980-08-05)5 August 1980 (aged 23) 17 Chelsea

13 1GK Paul Robinson (1979-10-15)15 October 1979 (aged 24) 5 Tottenham Hotspur

14 2DF Phil Neville (1977-01-21)21 January 1977 (aged 27) 48 Manchester United

15 2DF Ledley King (1980-12-10)10 December 1980 (aged 23) 5 Tottenham Hotspur

16 2DF Jamie Carragher (1978-01-28)28 January 1978 (aged 26) 12 Liverpool

17 3MF Nicky Butt (1975-01-21)21 January 1975 (aged 29) 35 Manchester United

18 3MF Owen Hargreaves (1981-01-20)20 January 1981 (aged 23) 19 Bayern Munich

19 3MF Joe Cole (1981-11-08)8 November 1981 (aged 22) 17 Chelsea

20 3MF Kieron Dyer (1978-12-29)29 December 1978 (aged 25) 22 Newcastle United

21 4FW Emile Heskey (1978-01-11)11 January 1978 (aged 26) 42 Birmingham City

22 1GK Ian Walker (1971-10-31)31 October 1971 (aged 32) 4 Leicester City

23 4FW Darius Vassell (1980-06-13)13 June 1980 (aged 23) 18 Aston Villa

The Euro2004 is a good rival to the 98 squad. As Razzler said earlier it's also one of the better ones. Bit weak up front, and again no left side though.

Of course that is true. But people overplay the Scholes out of position thing. And using it as a reason to retire is a bit of a cop out. The only time he played left was Euro2004, I'm not even sure he played there that much in qualifying.

The team should have been built around him.

Easy to forget how much pressure Scholes was under at the time though. Going into Euro 2004, he hadn't scored for England for about three years, a goal drought of something like 30 games. And at the same time you had Lampard scoring every time he got near the pitch, and Chelsea suddenly in the mix at the top of the league.

Of course that is true. But people overplay the Scholes out of position thing. And using it as a reason to retire is a bit of a cop out. The only time he played left was Euro2004, I'm not even sure he played there that much in qualifying.

Was that his reason or was it to focus on United? A very justified move as history has gone on to prove.

I think he did play deeper at the time for England in some games, hence the lack of goals. Sven quite the visionary in that respect. Except that then everybody said he needed to be further forward, in the thick of it, like he was for Man Utd.

Easy to forget how much pressure Scholes was under at the time though. Going into Euro 2004, he hadn't scored for England for about three years, a goal drought of something like 30 games. And at the same time you had Lampard scoring every time he got near the pitch, and Chelsea suddenly in the mix at the top of the league.

Yep, Scholes wasn't scoring or playing very well at that time for England and Lampard was phenomonal, maybe if we had an actual left winger he may have had to make the decision to leave Scholes out which knowing Sven probably wouldn't have happened.

Yeah the main reason for the drought was him having to play deeper, due to the emergence of Gerrard. It wasn't like he was missing a host of chances at all (like you associate with Torres), it's more that he just wasn't getting into the positions he was. And as pointed out- he was playing in a similar position to what he does now, but yes not playing the role as good as he would later in his career.

Going a bit off topic, but I always wondered why a player with such fantastic technical ability didn't develop his dead ball skills more. Obviously for a large chunk of his career Beckham would have just dominated the set pieces for club and country, but still think he probably missed out there for whatever reason.

It's always the same with England. We never seem to have a balance of good players. They always seem to be in the same positions. Last WC10 our best players, going by club form, were Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney. But it's virtually impossible to incorporate them in the same team. Then have a ridiculous lack of options in another position, like right back. Johnson plus nobody. Until now where left back is probably a weaker position depth wise now.

What I'd give to have the centre backs Sven had now. And what Sven would of given to have the options on the left wing we have now.

Going a bit off topic, but I always wondered why a player with such fantastic technical ability didn't develop his dead ball skills more. Obviously for a large chunk of his career Beckham would have just dominated the set pieces for club and country, but still think he probably missed out there for whatever reason.

At corners? I think this is the main reason:

Free kicks maybe, but yeah, behind Beckham (and at youth/reserve level, Gary Neville) and then not as capable as some of the younger players who joined the club, or Giggs. Same with penalties.

Yeah but beyond that.... Gibbs at a push and that's about it :D Right we've got Johnson, Richards, Walker, Smalling and Jagielka :p

Bertrand>Gibbs. What has happened to Warnock since the WC? He just seems awful every time he steps on the pitch now.

Is anyone else ever so slightly concerned that time is just ticking along and there is absolutely no mention of, erm, the England Manager?

Not even the press, the press, ffs! Quiet, silence from them. No stories about what a shambles it is we haven't interviewed anyone (which it is) and no stories about secret FA meetings with this guy or that guy and rumours that 'arry doesn't want it, etc.

Brooking was having a laugh with his 'parachute someone in about 25th May' but seems like nope, that's what we're doing. We're just gonna roll along until the end of the season.

This could mean one of two things. 'arry has been approached and has agreed to take the job at the end of May either temporary or full time but he will be in charge for the Euros or, the more likely, the FA haven't a scooby what's going on, they assume 'arry will take it but no one has bothered to ask him or his people and it's all gonna blow up their faces and we'll get Pearce :/

Is anyone else ever so slightly concerned that time is just ticking along and there is absolutely no mention of, erm, the England Manager?

Not even the press, the press, ffs! Quiet, silence from them. No stories about what a shambles it is we haven't interviewed anyone (which it is) and no stories about secret FA meetings with this guy or that guy and rumours that 'arry doesn't want it, etc.

Yeah, I mean it's coming to something when even the media seem to have lost interest in England :D Normally you'd expect them to be camped out at the end of Harry's drive and tailing his wife to the shops. Apart from firing a few questions at him through his car window when Capello first resigned, and goading Hoddle into a declaring his interest, we've had nothing :(

I presume the FA have at least sounded Harry out behind the scenes. I don't think they could keep it quiet if a deal had been done, but they must surely have an idea what he's thinking.

I don't know why they don't just offer him the job from August onwards, then it could all be sorted out and in the open and both Harry and the FA are doing the right thing by Spurs. In Pearce we have a ready made stand-in who's been involved in countless tournaments over the years and has his feet firmly under the table. Nobody expects anything from us this time anyway, so may as well let Pearce have a crack at it.

Thinking about the press again, probably some of the journos have mixed feelings this time in the same way that the travelling fans seem to. I daresay we would be seeing a bit more build up and anticipation if the Fleet Street boys were anticipating three weeks in the south of France or in the Algarve again, and not three weeks in a grimy industrial city in Ukraine :D

Yeah, exactly, the media just don't care. Token articles about Pearce 'being ready if called upon' and Hoddle being mentioned so either it's all done and dusted or no one cares.

I would also presume the FA have sounded out 'arry but we both know that hasn't happened :D 'arry does seem buddy buddy with elements of the media I wonder if this is so well known and sorted out that the media are getting quiet out of respect and to not disturb Spurs (unlike them) but they still mention it from time to time but mention it a lot in a sense of 'what do you think arry will do' like it's obvious he has the job.

Thing is, not knowing Redknapp is Manager means he really can't speak to other Managers about England players. Cannot say to Wenger 'how is Wilshere coming along' as he's not England Manager so can't have those chats. It's not just picking 23 players :/

I could see it being initially a temp job, but with "I answered the call of my country, but my day job is Spurs and I'm loyal" or "The people want me to stay and I have to listen to them" statements depending on how well we do.

I see it the other way round. Think he is guaranteed to be in the job come August, just a case of whether he wants to have a crack at the Euros and risk doing badly due to the lack of preparation, or whether he wants to hold off until he can start a proper 2-year cycle and we let Pearce look after the tournament.

He's not a manager that needs preparation though. He'll know all the players and it's a free tournament he didn't have to qualify for. If he does badly he blames it on lack of preparation and the FA takes the blame.

I love this "he knows all the players" argument. He might know who they all are, he might know the senior players well enough to do his matey matey bit in the tunnel before a game and be on nodding terms with the rest. But it doesn't mean he can rock up and get them playing decent football at a day's notice. At best he'll have worked with six or seven out of the 23 in training before at one of his clubs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's the wrong choice. But equally he's not some Messiah that is so good he doesn't need to prepare.

Every Manager needs preparation.

England Managers don't just need to pick a squad. What if he wants to check on the progress of Wilshere with Wenger? It's not something he can really do without being England Manager. Call up Fergie and say 'what do you think, will Rio be able to play a tournament' ... can't do that either. He can basically have no communication with any club Managers regarding players until about 2 weeks before the tournament starts and days before a squad needs to be picked :/

I think we get this drip-drip 'Lampard is not too old for England' and it's like testing the water via the media to the reaction some of these little decisions would get. We seemed to have a bunch of players playing first team football, young, playing well and I think the fear is it's gonna be same 'ol, same 'ol with 'arry's talk of players still being good enough. Also, some of the younger players seem to not be playing so much/got injured/off the boil, etc which is a shame.

We also don't know the situation with Rio Ferdinand and John Terry in regards to Anton Ferdinand/Racism so is he gonna find out about this on the day? Now he could be reaching out a little and finding out what's what, especially if he wants to pick both (+ Fergie is pushing Rio for England, odd for him, atm too).

The fact no one is there makes me think we'll be picking very few young players, Downing will be in ahead of, well, anyone else. Scott Sinclair even, Oxlade-Chamberlain ... maybe the Manager could be watching these a little closer and not on MoTD and could ask the club Managers about them as well

I think that's normal but only being made public to express his interest further in the job

Can't see Woy getting it. Any good will for 'arry being in charge is sort of gone now, Spurs aren't flying as high as they were and everyone has kind of just gone 'meh' about it. I think if they announce a new Manager everyone will just be like 'ah, ok then, that's good'

Archived