A thread for some advanced editing tips

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well..now I tell you how:

1. Create the firts national league and save it!

2. Load the same file and remove the Nation Rule...then create a new nation rule of a new nation and save using a different name!

3. Do it as many times as the number of national championships you want to create.

4. In the end create the continental league.

In this way all the competitions you create still remain in the database and you can find them in the list of the championships when you have to create the access rules of the continental league!

I still have to try to play, but I think it should run well...

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well..now I tell you how:

1. Create the firts national league and save it!

2. Load the same file and remove the Nation Rule...then create a new nation rule of a new nation and save using a different name!

3. Do it as many times as the number of national championships you want to create.

4. In the end create the continental league.

In this way all the competitions you create still remain in the database and you can find them in the list of the championships when you have to create the access rules of the continental league!

I still have to try to play, but I think it should run well...

That doesn't always work. It will work fine if the competition itself is already in the db.

That's the same as merging db changes inside the editor. The problem you have with this approach is that your continental league will work fine, but you no longer have nation rules for the first nation, meaning there will be no playable league.

Why don't you try what I told you in both threads? Just change the other files so that they all use existing competitions instead of newly created ones. Then rename those competitions to be whatever you want. If you use an existing competition you can refer to it from anywhere, because you refer to the competitions by their ID.

That's the same as merging db changes inside the editor. The problem you have with this approach is that your continental league will work fine, but you no longer have nation rules for the first nation, meaning there will be no playable league.

Why don't you try what I told you in both threads? Just change the other files so that they all use existing competitions instead of newly created ones. Then rename those competitions to be whatever you want. If you use an existing competition you can refer to it from anywhere, because you refer to the competitions by their ID.

But if I create the new continental competition, then I have to select all of the nations I set for that when I want to start a new game?

If beginning a new game, I select only one nation, then the continental league will work anyway or not?

Good night. I have a question.

I Create a Nation who replace one of the defunct countries in the DB, the question is ¿How put the nation created for me and swap an existing country to non-existing countries to work properly?

(I.E. Put the New nation in UEFA replace another country to play WC Qualifiers and Euro Cup Qualifiers)

Thanks in advance.

Good night. I have a question.

I Create a Nation who replace one of the defunct countries in the DB, the question is ¿How put the nation created for me and swap an existing country to non-existing countries to work properly?

(I.E. Put the New nation in UEFA replace another country to play WC Qualifiers and Euro Cup Qualifiers)

Thanks in advance.

add new nation to Europe continent and remove a nation from Europe (set it to either none or if that crashes then to Ocenia but take off the fifa full member and kill its reputation...)

Alright guys i created a 2 tier league in Switzerland with all the great european teams and a domestic cup, when it was 16 teams in it, everything ran fine.

Then i went back into the editor and added 4 more teams to each division with the prize money updated, and i changed the domestic cup to a group format then with knockout rounds after it, and i tested the nation rules, and it said they were valid.

Then i started up the game and, and tried to load the created database and this message comes up now.

Could not process rule group settings in ROSS-PC/C:/Users/Ross/Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010/editor data/trial league.dbc.xml

How do i get around this and play in my created league, there are 130 changes in the database?

add new nation to Europe continent and remove a nation from Europe (set it to either none or if that crashes then to Ocenia but take off the fifa full member and kill its reputation...)

I Tried but the continents in the editor is locked. ¿How to unlock? ¿i can?

• 2 weeks later...

Been messing around with my editor data files. A sneak peak inside the "enums" and "discipline rules" files in <FM directory>\tools\editor\data\format\rule group shows that you can do little sneaky things, I've found that you can use English disciplinary rules (edit your editor data xml to change whatever you chose in the line with

<string id="sequence" value="[whatever you chose]"/>

to value="england" (or Wales or MLS). Not sure if adding a line for "type" will allow you to use the Scottish/N.Irish points systems.

Not all of them work, but another thing I've found is the option in two-legged cup ties for the away team to win the tie if they win the first leg by 2 goals works.

• 4 weeks later...

How to change the columns shown in the editor, i.e. adding the Unique ID column

Here's a quick guide for adding a Unique ID column to the clubs screen. The same concept also works for adding any other kind of column to any of the screens.

Open the file club ui.xml in the folder C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\tools\editor\data\format\database ui

At the top you see the fields for the clubs table, looking like this:

<!-- fields for the clubs table -->
   <record id="clrs">
       <list id="fields">
           <record db_field="club,Csnm" width="-2"/>        <!-- name -->
           <record db_field="club,Cnti" width="-2"/>        <!-- nation -->
           <record db_field="club,Cdvi" width="-2"/>        <!-- division -->
           <record db_field="club,Crep"/>                <!-- reputation -->
       </list>
   </record>

Add a line for the column(s) you want to show. For the Unique ID I did the following:

<!-- fields for the clubs table -->
   <record id="clrs">
       <list id="fields">
           <record db_field="club,Csnm" width="-2"/>        <!-- name -->
           <record db_field="club,Cnti" width="-2"/>        <!-- nation -->
           <record db_field="club,Cdvi" width="-2"/>        <!-- division -->
           [color=red]<record db_field="club,duni" width="75"/>        <!-- unique ID -->[/color]
           <record db_field="club,Crep"/>                <!-- reputation -->
       </list>
   </record>

The width of 75 causes it to be a fixed width of approximately the right size for the 8 digit IDs. Setting it to -2 like the others would cause it to be evenly sized and grow with the screen width, making the other fields smaller.

Thanks for this, but could you perhaps link me to somewhere that has a list of the other four letter codes? I can only find the codes for older FM versions, but it's evident that they have changed

dinamo_zagreb - Exactly what I was thinking. The options for cup type and seeding etc are different to mine. I'm using 10.2. Does that make a difference?

That is people editing the XML files of the editor itself. Some of the stuff works (e.g. draw rules, competition type) whereas some stuff doesn't (e.g. advanced stadium rules).

Anyone know how to make the options that appear in SRKI Screenshot appear?

I've implemented some of these by copying XML from some of the files (e.g. advanced cup rules) and pasting them into the appropriate section of the GUI files. I use the advanced features for my stuff all the time. Most of them do actually work.

Just have a browse through the editor XML files and any IT competent person should work it out (I cannot remember which files off the top of my head)

I'm guessing we're talking about adding code to the files found here:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2010\tools\editor\data\format\rule group

(I've got the Steam install of FM10 here at work)

I'd strongly recommend backing up any such files before editing them! You're really on risky ground here editing this sort of thing. I've never looked at these files before, but I can have a guess at a few effects. I'm not sure where the advanced cup rules can be copied from yet - hopefully someone can enlighten us, but perhaps it is from here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2010\tools\editor\data\basic comps?

The file 'basic cup settings', for example, has the following entry:

<!-- number of teams -->
                   <record>
                       <flags id="field" value="number_teams"/>
                       <string id="name" value="Number Of Teams In Competition"/>
                       <flags id="type" value="integer"/>
                       <string id="hint" value="The number of teams in this competition[COMMENT: Competition editor; field hint]"/>
                       <integer id="width" value="100"/>
                       <integer id="default_value" value="64"/>
                       <integer id="min_value" value="2"/>
                       <integer id="max_value" value="256"/>
                       <list id="dependencies">
                           <record field="type" not_equals="super_cup"/>
                           <record field="use_game_rules" equals="not_in_game"/>

Increasing that 256 stops the editor from constantly changing bigger cups back to 256-team cups...

Whether changing anything in these files will then let you implement changes the game itself cannot implement - I've no idea. There's also a code in that file that may allow me to raise the number of qualifying rounds in a cup above its current limit of 4 - which would be fantastically useful for my England file's FA Cup... if it works... (EDIT: It didn't work :()

The cup round file has the following entries:

<list id="enum_values">
                           <record enum="lower_division_team_at_home" name_not_translated="Lower division team plays at home"/>
                           <record enum="seeded_draw" name_not_translated="Seeded draw"/>
                           <record enum="fixed_draw" name_not_translated="Fixed draw (1v2,3v4,etc)"/>
                           <record enum="use_reputation" name_not_translated="Use reputation to seed the teams"/>
                           <record enum="avoid_teams_from_same_nation" name_not_translated="Teams from same nation kept apart"/>
                           <record enum="avoid_teams_from_same_other_division" name_not_translated="Teams from same 'other division' are kept apart (Brazil)"/>
                           <record enum="same_nation_games" name_not_translated="Teams from same nation play each other"/>
                           <record enum="geographical_draw" name_not_translated="Geographical draw"/>
                           <record enum="do_not_swap_teams" name_not_translated="Don't randomise home and away teams"/>
                           <record enum="lower_seeded_team_at_home" name_not_translated="Lower seeded team plays at home"/>
                           <record enum="higher_seeded_team_at_home" name_not_translated="Higher seeded team plays at home"/>
                           <record enum="previous_season_worst_team_at_home" name_not_translated="Worst team from last season plays at home"/>
                           <record enum="2_divisions_lower_team_at_home" name_not_translated="If team is 2 divisions lower, it plays at home"/>
                           <record enum="3_divisions_lower_team_at_home" name_not_translated="If team is 3 divisions lower, it plays at home"/>
                           <record enum="lower_reputation_same_division_team_at_home" name_not_translated="Lower rep. team plays at home if teams are in same division"/>
                           <record enum="team_with_least_home_games_at_home" name_not_translated="Teams with fewer homes games so far plays at home"/>
                           <record enum="lower_division_team_outside_top_two_division_at_home" name_not_translated="Lower division team plays at home if outside top 2 divisions"/>
                           <record enum="allow_fixed_draw_viewing" name_not_translated="Allow viewing of draw if fixed"/>
                           <record enum="display_seeds_during_draw" name_not_translated="Show team seed values during draw"/>
                           <record enum="half_ties_have_lower_seed_at_home" name_not_translated="Half the ties in the round have the lowest seed at home"/>
             <record enum="higher_division_team_at_home" name_not_translated="Higher division team plays at home"/>
                       </list>

This appears to be the list from the impressive screenshots?

Yes it is. I have used some of the seeding before (writing XML myself in my mods). They work fine, as does the competition type. E.g. setting club_finals sets players stats to continental rather than cup -> also picks referees from the continent in which its based. Good for multi-nation cups etc.

@Super Bladesman: I generally edit stuff like that in the XML of the mod itself e.g. add extra seeding rules or change no. groups etc. Should work fine, cannot see why not -> The editor is very very basic -> Hand-coded XML is far more efficient.

Would it be possible through editing XML to set the number of teams from a league that can qualify for a continental cup, i.e. "Top four teams qualify for AFC Champions League". If so, is there a way to determine which cup they can qualify for, i.e. AFC Champions League, AFC Cup, or AFC President's Cup

The answer to that would be no, as those are hard-coded. The only way to change that would be to give the continental competitions a nation and create them as national cups wherein you could manage which teams take part in them.

The answer to that would be no, as those are hard-coded. The only way to change that would be to give the continental competitions a nation and create them as national cups wherein you could manage which teams take part in them.

From my initial look at the XML... I believe I have found an answer which makes this statement false... the advanced rules panel...

only seems to work for existing competitions (no nation rules set with it manually) or new nations (not those with nation rules in the db already)

but I got a competition to take the teams from 4-6 in a test...

Will look more into it tomorrow before releasing it with some basic instructions with what I found works/doesn't work.

Initial Screenie : http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/shp106/fm/ranking.jpg

Guys, hoping you can help in this.

I wish to edit some of the teams that are entered into the singaporean league, before I go any further, there something that needs to said about the s-league, its quite unique (I dont really like it but...)

The league allows foreign club sides to participate in the league as long as they pass the required criteria and evaluation.

For this year, there are 2 new team entered, one is form China, Beijing Guoan F.C. (Singapore), and the other team is Etoile FC from france, for Beijing, it is not the 1st team that is entered, rather, its their reserve side which will act as a satellite team, exactly like Albirex Niigata and Albirex (Singapore) (who are still in the s-league).

As for the french team, they are team was created about a year ago in france for specific reason of competing in the s-league.

I want to create these teams but am not able to restrict their player signings, you see, one of the restrictions of the foreign clubs was that they are not allowed to sign any players that are not from the home nations they represent (for Etoile, thats french and for Beijing, its chinese)

The problem that I am facing is that, when I create the, the game converts the clubs to Singaporean club, they also adopt the same rules.

So is there a way I can workaround this? perhaps some hidden setting that needs to be unlocked with the xml files?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! thank you so so much in advance!

That's an interesting question. The mechanics of the editor on this point I haven't fully checked out, but I think (and I might be wrong) that setting limits on foreign players has to occur at a league level, meaning the S.League would set a limit of non-Singaporean players, even if you did (which you can) leave Etoile FC as French (just set their nation to France, but their competition to S.League). You could potentially end up with a French side which cannot play any of its players.

Going off on a tangent, it's probably time for our league to develop a bit more and stop relying on foreign clubs to spice up our league. And at least that would make re-writing nation rules for Singapore easier, heh.

That's an interesting question. The mechanics of the editor on this point I haven't fully checked out, but I think (and I might be wrong) that setting limits on foreign players has to occur at a league level, meaning the S.League would set a limit of non-Singaporean players, even if you did (which you can) leave Etoile FC as French (just set their nation to France, but their competition to S.League). You could potentially end up with a French side which cannot play any of its players.

Going off on a tangent, it's probably time for our league to develop a bit more and stop relying on foreign clubs to spice up our league. And at least that would make re-writing nation rules for Singapore easier, heh.

Agreed, frankly, am abit miffed with the FAS for not picking the local team that did apply for a spot, instead, the picked the chinese side, not that I have anything against the chinese side, just that I for one would like to see the league actually help to develop some local talents, a sentiment that is shared by a wide majority of people here.

So you are from singapore also huh? cool!

PS: I now this is totally off-topic, apologies for that!

From my initial look at the XML... I believe I have found an answer which makes this statement false... the advanced rules panel...

only seems to work for existing competitions (no nation rules set with it manually) or new nations (not those with nation rules in the db already)

but I got a competition to take the teams from 4-6 in a test...

Will look more into it tomorrow before releasing it with some basic instructions with what I found works/doesn't work.

Initial Screenie : http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/shp106/fm/ranking.jpg

Did editing the ranking levels tab do anything in terms of qualification? I also found the code to set the year intervals for when the competitions are supposed to take place, but unfortunately, it hasn't worked.

fraudiay79: Those are advanced features which work for advanced Panel (as in my screenie) and do not work in normal nation_rules. If you look at my home international championship XML, you will notice I did not once use nation_rules to edit the competition. The year intervals etc. work in that method if I wanted them.

Goto: tools>editor>data>format>format.xml

Swap record id of advanced panel and file information (e.g. the <record id="file"> bit. This will hide the old file information (click file to get the advanced panel) and display the advanced panel instead. Setting nation rules through that work for new nations. You can edit current competitions without setting nation_rules (but if you edit one while also setting nation_rules, then the nation_rules is the outcome, not advanced panel settings).

Have a play if you want. Get something wrong and the competition will simply not work as expected/at all.

fraudiay79: Those are advanced features which work for advanced Panel (as in my screenie) and do not work in normal nation_rules. If you look at my home international championship XML, you will notice I did not once use nation_rules to edit the competition. The year intervals etc. work in that method if I wanted them.

Swap record id of advanced panel and file information (e.g. the <record id="file"> bit. This will hide the old file information (click file to get the advanced panel) and display the advanced panel instead. Setting nation rules through that work for new nations. You can edit current competitions without setting nation_rules (but if you edit one while also setting nation_rules, then the nation_rules is the outcome, not advanced panel settings).

Have a play if you want. Get something wrong and the competition will simply not work as expected/at all.

Thanks for the help, I'll try this out.

Can anybody help me with editing out an upcoming retirement? Thanks!

it depends on whether you just started the game. if the game was recently started, then you can go into the main editor, look for your player/staff, and either on the main player page, there will be an option saying "retiring at the end of contract" or something like that, uncheck it. if that is not the case, go to the players personal attributes page, and click on the last tab. At the very bottom should be a retirement date. Unselect it. Now, if on the other hand, your game has been going on a while, the only way you can change the retirement is through FMRTE. search the forums on how to change it using that program.

The advanced rule panel is amazing. I am having a little bit of trouble with some of the competitions. I created a revamp of the AFC Champions League to mirror its UEFA counterpart. The group stage works properly, but I can't figure out how to get the qualified teams from that stage to move to next round. The competition comes to a halt. I pmed you a link of my file. If you have time, can you check to see what I'm doing wrong, and how I should fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

@Fraudiay79:

I can't seem to get group>cup working either.

I can get league>cup or cup> league working but not groups which is strange! Have you tried setting the qualified flags to top x teams in group?

Yes, I tried that. It shows top two teams from each group qualifying for the next round. I even added the league fate actions for the qualified teams specifying the next stage ID, still no success. Then I tried getting qualified teams from a previous stage for the next round. Oh well, I'll keep trying. I'm considering splitting up the competition into multiple parts and then adding them at different stages. I'll keep you updated.

Archived