Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

The Southeners vs The Northeners eh? Mikey (Celtic_1967), Gav and Terk will have plenty to say on this subject, I would suspect. Xenon and I (Both southeners) had to endure many earbashings from those guys back in the golden days of FM10...

That's because you're a shandy-drinking Southern poof. Though I'm sure you'd reply by saying that we're a bunch of gravy-drinking, pie-eating Neanderthals.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Southeners vs The Northeners eh? Mikey (Celtic_1967), Gav and Terk will have plenty to say on this subject, I would suspect. Xenon and I (Both southeners) had to endure many earbashings from those guys back in the golden days of FM10...

That didn't really help you at all, so I'll try and explain it a little better. Basically you have The North (there aren't any specific borderlines, but the north is generally anywhere around and above Manchester/Liverpool), The Midlands (generally from around Nottingham to Milton Keynes) and then The South is anything below that. There's no real fierce rivalry between any of them, it's not like a bunch of lads come down to London from Manchester and start fights with Southeners just because they're southern, it's mainly just something we wind each other up with.

For example Northeners generally think they're 'harder' than us Southern boys (Which we all know isn't true, Terk is actually just a big cuddle machine :p). There's never anything serious about it, almost all of it is said tongue-in-cheek style so don't be worried about putting anything like that in your story, I highly doubt anybody would get offended.

EDIT: for an example of what a northener might say to a southener to wind him up and how a southener might reply, please refer to post #2301. Terk has summed it up brilliantly :D

Another issue, I'm having trouble with understanding is the Northerner/Southerner divide in England. I understand the historical and (somewhat) the cultural reasons but what I'm struggling with is the implications on individual behavior. I was shocked when Brian Clough (Michael Sheen) went on a rant about people from the south in The Damned United, but that was entirely from an outsider's perspective. I also understand that Brian Clough was a very outspoken individual. I will most likely avoid putting this in my story because things such as this are sensitive but, again, it is good to have context if somebody wouldn't mind helping.

Like Offy says, essentially there is no divide at all.

Generally it's a just a completely good natured indulgence of the very general stereotypes we have for each other, as far as I'm concerned it's all banter so I wouldn't worry about it being a sensitive issue, I think our country is simply far too small for any kind of divide in culture between the regions (that is speaking incredibly generally of course, I don't want to get bogged down in migrant communities etc.)

I love copius amounts of gravy on my Sunday dinner, but my family aren't likely to have me sent up the M1 and banished to the North for my meat stock sins.

You can't just have copious amounts of gravy and pretend to be a victim of moral northern-ness. You're a stinky Southerner plain and simple, accept it. If only you and Offy were around once more to receive the verbal beatings me, Terk and Mikey enjoyed so, so much.

Gav, I would share a bag of chips, drowned in gravy with you any day of the week.

(and if you mean 'stinky' as gently bathed in eau de toilette, then yeah that's a fair one)

And this is why I love you. <3

kmbll, it's all pretty much been said about the north-south divide, and most of the time it's in jest and humour. Some take it way too far, but they would surely be in a severe minority. I think there are bigger divides in shorter geographical areas, but one would expect that. Eg, Birmingham/Villa, Newcastle/Sunderland/M'boro, Man Citeh/United, Everton/Liverpool definitely have bigger hatred for each other than North/South.

• 2 weeks later...
SCIAG, what is it you need proofing?
Same question.

I know 10-3 will inevitable be "arrowed" (in local parlance. It means being targeted. :p) for the job.

:D

The sequel to Call of Sport. I'm about 70% through, and I'd like someone to check that it roughly makes sense, look for glaring grammatical or spelling flaws/typos, isn't me wittering on for 50 pages.

We're still looking at another few weeks of work before we get to proofing, so I might have been a bit premature (:p), but I'm glad to know there's plenty of interest.

The sequel to Call of Sport. I'm about 70% through, and I'd like someone to check that it roughly makes sense, look for glaring grammatical or spelling flaws/typos, isn't me wittering on for 50 pages.

Only fifty pages? You're slipping, sir. :D

Happy to help if you think my help is worth having.

When it finally gets posted, I'll take the role of "Reader who never read the original", just to give you an opinion on how enjoyable it is to someone who never did read the first one.

I imagine they have actual paid roles for that kind of thing when it comes to judging film sequels.

Any thoughts on my story?

Have tried to do it 'faramir' style.

You probably don't want to know what I think when I see story's that you have started.

In saying that, I haven't read it and don't plan too, I might take a look sometime later if you sustain the effort over a period of time and don't have multiple thread starts in that period.

Not saying it to be mean, just stating facts, I know I'm no saint in the story department, but I think I can vouch for most on here and say that you need to concentrate on one story and get a decent way into it over a length of time, not just whipping out 400 updates within a week.

Also if its half as good as anything Faramir wrote, then you will definitely get readers so if I was you I would just concentrate on writing good updates.

Any thoughts on my story?

Have tried to do it 'faramir' style.

Im having to go with Panpardus on this one M... you have been given so much advise from members on how to improve and in the past you havent really taken it on board....

Ive browsed your story and it does look good up to now but I'm not holding my breath on you keeping up with the story.

I hope you prove us all wrong so you can throw these comments back in our faces

• 4 weeks later...

hello all, just here for an opinion more than anything. i have used the forums for quite a while and on fm11 decided to do a long save which has reached 2023 at current. in june 2023, i got a new job at manchester city after 7 successful years at dundee united. anyway, a friend was round my house and we were looking at where clubs were league wise at this moment in time. he did a bit of arm twisting to convince me to do a new manager at a lower club in 2023 as a seperate save away from my man city team (hope this makes sense so far).

so i took over at wigan athletic with a new manager. they are now in league 2, in administration, got a transfer embargo, just 13 senior players on the books, 24m in the red, a stadium that now only holds 11,000 and obviously a 10 point deduction. to cap it off they also have a wage budget of 8k but spending 40k a week!!! taking over i get told that the minimum expectation is i win the league and media prediction is 1st. somebody must be joking me! so my aim short term is to try and get wigan back on some sort of good footing, long term is to try and get them back up the pyramid.

so should i do a story around this? am i ok to do it even though im starting in july 2023? i would prefer a quick answer as i have already played 4 games in the league but i can at least still back track at the moment.

You can start a story wherever you like, dontask. I chucked one of my story games onto the forum with my manager five months into his first season and without going back to cover it. You have to want to do a story though, otherwise it's unlikely to get past ten posts.

If you do, then create a backlog of posts for when you aren't so interested in writing anything up.

Go for it if you want to, we'll be happy enough to read along.

Sweet! Then go for it. I would spend some time reading a bit to get some ideas of what kind of story you want to do. Mark Wilson is sort of hailed as the master of the "focus on the team, the results, move it along" method. I would look at "The Open Window" as one example of a more narrative based thing with Gricehead or maybe Elithral's stuff somewhere in the middle.

yes i do want to do it, thats why i asked! just didnt want to break any rules or upset anybody by doing so!

You could have read the rules for that, but don't worry about it. Takes Mak's advice into consideration and look at the stories and writers he as recommended as I would recommend them too for a beginner.

dontask, you'll find a method and style that works for you, however, it might take some time to figure it out. Above all, write the story that entertains you and fits with how you like to write them. If you write for the others on the forum, then it will be difficult to write over a length of time. I'd suggest writing a short story first. For example, write about part of a season that led up to some success or sacking...stick with just that part of the season. If you succeed at that, you might wish to write more.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to be new sign up soon.

Looking to have a Three tiered league system running, so we can have Promotion and relegation battles instead of the usual one league that I run.

Need quite a few teams to be able to run this so if anyone is interested PM me

Useraname:

Team Name:

Stadium Name:

Chairman Name:

The first five responses I get will be guarenteed to be in the top flight the first season, the rest of the places will be randomely drawn out

The story as such wont be put onto the forum for a while so that I can finish my other stories

Archived